Flash storage pioneer turned software-defined storage specialist Kaminario has taken its SAN storage capability to the cloud.
Its VisionOS, which can build a server and its shelves of flash drives into a SAN pool, is now available as a virtual offering on the big three cloud providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
And it is much cheaper than the native block storage offered by the big three, the company said.
Our Flex orchestrator and Clarity predictive analytics take charge of the online storage pool as if they were on-site. It makes it trivial to upload data to the cloud and even to move it from one cloud to another, said Kaminario CEO Dani Golan to ComputerWeekly.coms French sister site LeMagIT during an event that formed part of the IT Press Tour.
According to Kaminario, having storage arrays function in hybrid mode allows for rapid scaling to the cloud when theres a need to burst capacity beyond the datacentre.
It also makes it easy to rapidly put datacentre-developed applications on the internet. These include those with block-based storage needs such as databases and legacy applications in virtual machine format that havent been refactored to the cloud.
Kaminarios big selling point is that,for upwards of 100TB (terabytes) of capacity, its virtual SANs in the cloud come in on average 30% cheaper than the block storage services offered by the cloud giants themselves.
The benefit of our pricing comes from the thin provisioning in VisionOS you only pay for what you use and not for what you reserve, said Kaminario chief technology officer (CTO) Derek Swanson.
He was keen to point out that thin provisioning amounts to over-allocating storage. Users believe they have access to a certain capacity, but thats actually only allocated to them gradually, as they write data to it.
In addition, Kaminario makes snapshots of these cloud holdings, but pointed out they are heavily compressed to occupy less space.
According to the vendors presentation, using Kaminarios cloud SAN will cost less than one-third what it would from the big three cloud providers.
Using virtual disk in the cloud and reserving 256TB would cost $70,500 per month, plus $9,500 per month for associated snapshots, with those providers. To do the same with Kaminario, it said, would cost $20,000 per month all-in.
Commercially speaking, Kaminarios hybrid cloud will take the form of a new offering called Cloud Data Platform with automated cloud migration functionality.
But the catalogue is rather confusing. It is possible that what we are talking here about Data Pods in the Public Cloud function and that Cloud Data Platform is the new name of the global offering. This has been called Data Plane Virtualisation in recent weeks, Composable Storage last year and even Cloud Fabric the year before that.
In the world of storage, other suppliers also offer their arrays as virtual instances in the cloud, but none follow quite the same model.
Pure Storage, with its Cloud Block Store (only on AWS) is the closest. Meanwhile, NetApp offers NAS functionality on AWS, Azure and GCP. Dell EMC is set to offer its new PowerStore arrays as virtual instances but may, as it has done with its Unity VSA arrays, confine them to private cloud use.
- How Tencent is bringing the storm clouds to arch-rival Alibaba - Tech Wire Asia - July 6th, 2020
- Unsecured servers leaked data of millions of users of dating sites and apps - TEISS - July 6th, 2020
- How Ather Energy is leveraging the Cloud to build and scale smart mobility solutions for India - YourStory - July 6th, 2020
- Nextcloud, the open source platform that allows you to install and configure your own personal cloud on a web server - Explica - July 6th, 2020
- The Chinese Government is Accessing YOUR Network Through the Backdoor and There Still is NO Place to Hide - China Law Blog - July 6th, 2020
- Scientific Thinking: Processes, methods, and approaches with reference to Deep Tech - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Best VPNs to consider in 2020 - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 6th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G in Digital Transformation for Industries at GSMA Thrive - Al-Bawaba - July 5th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief Australia - July 5th, 2020
- 360Quadrants Releases Top 10 Cloud Computing Software In 2020 edited by leading research firm - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Watch Netflix With NordVPN: Does it Work in 2020 ? - Cloudwards - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020
- Pensando positioned as high-performance alternative to cloud provider 'lock-in' - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- How M&E organisations can enable remote work with cloud-based video and animation production studios - ITProPortal - June 18th, 2020
- Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem - Stockhouse - June 18th, 2020
- Kia Motors partners with Google Cloud to develop AI-based owner's manual app - Automotive World - June 18th, 2020
- Function-as-a-Service Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2017-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- How Lenovo, Cellnex, Nearby Computing Are Delivering on the Edge - eWeek - June 18th, 2020
- Dell Technologies Shifts AI Adoption into the Fast Lane with Simplified Advanced Computing - CXOToday.com - June 18th, 2020
- AWS mitigated a record-breaking 2.3 Tbps DDoS attack in February - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- Deluxe Revolutionizes Distribution of Content to Theaters with Cloud-Based IP Delivery Solution through Deluxe One Platform - HostReview.com - June 18th, 2020
- Report: France and Germany team up on a cloud-computing ecosystem to take on Amazon, Microsoft and Google - FierceTelecom - June 6th, 2020
- Dive into the history of server hardware - TechTarget - June 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Private Cloud Server Market : What is the projected sales growth for 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- NextCloud gets bigger and better with Nextcloud Hub 19 - ZDNet - June 6th, 2020
- Micron Has the Potential to Rise 50% From Here - TheStreet - June 6th, 2020
- Kofax Partners with Microsoft to Enhance Cloud-Based Universal Print Solution with ControlSuite - Industry Analysts Inc - June 6th, 2020
- Dell and Intel answer the call for AI by building specific solutions for real problems - SiliconANGLE - June 6th, 2020
- Data Protection As A Service Market Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020