In February, Oracle slung out a data science platform that integrated real-time analytics with its databases. That's all well and good if developers are OK with the stack having a distinctly Big Red hue, but maybe they want choice.
This week, Redis Labs came up with something for users looking for help with the performance of real-time analytics of the kind used for fraud detection or stopping IoT-monitored engineering going kaput without necessarily locking them into a single database, cloud platform or application vendor.
Redis Labs, which backs the open-source in-memory Redis database, has built what it calls an "AI serving platform" in collaboration with AI specialist Tensorwerk.
RedisAI includes deploying the model, running the inferencing and performance monitoring within the database bringing analytics closer to the data, and improving performance, according to Redis Labs.
Bryan Betts, principal analyst with Freeform Dynamics, told us the product was aimed at a class of AI apps where you need to constantly monitor and retrain the AI engine as it works.
"Normally you have both a compute server and a database at the back end, with training data moving to and fro between them," he said. "What Redis and Tensorwerk have done is to build the AI computation ability that you need to do the retraining right into the database. This should cut out a stack of latency at least for those applications that fit its profile, which won't be all of them."
Betts said other databases might do the same, but developers would have to commit to specific AI technology. To accept that lock-in, they would need to be convinced the performance advantages outweigh the loss of the flexibility to choose the "best" AI engine and database separately.
IDC senior research analyst Jack Vernon told us the Redis approach was similar to that of Oracle's data science platform, where the models sit and run in the database.
"On Oracle's side, though, that seems to be tied to their cloud," he said. "That could be the real differentiating thing here: it seems like you can run Redis however you like. You're not going to be tied to a particular cloud infrastructure provider, unlike a lot of the other AI data science platforms out there."
SAP, too, offers real-time analytics on its in-memory HANA database, but users can expect to be wedded to its technologies, which include the Leonardo analytics platform.
Redis Labs said the AI serving platform would give developers the freedom to choose their own AI back end, including PyTorch and TensorFlow. It works in combination with RedisGears, a serverless programmable engine that supports transaction, batch, and event-driven operations as a single data service and integrates with application databases such as Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, Snowflake or Cassandra.
Yiftach Shoolman, founder and CTO at Redis Labs, said that while researchers worked on improving the chipset to boost AI performance, this was not necessarily the source of the bottleneck.
"We found that in many cases, it takes longer to collect the data and process it before you feed it to your AI engine than the inferences itself takes. Even if you improve your inferencing engine by an order of magnitude, because there is a new chipset in the market, it doesn't really affect the end-to-end inferencing time."
Analyst firm Gartner sees increasing interest in AI ops environments over the next four years to improve the production phase of the process. In the paper "Predicts 2020: Artificial Intelligence Core Technologies", it says: "Getting AI into production requires IT leaders to complement DataOps and ModelOps with infrastructures that enable end-users to embed trained models into streaming-data infrastructures to deliver continuous near-real-time predictions."
Vendors across the board are in an arms race to help users "industrialise" AI and machine learning that is to take it from a predictive model that tells you something really "cool" to something that is reliable, quick, cheap and easy to deploy. Google, AWS and Azure are all in the race along with smaller vendors such as H2O.ai and established behemoths like IBM.
While big banks like Citi are already some way down the road, vendors are gearing up to support the rest of the pack. Users should question who they want to be wedded to, and what the alternatives are.
Sponsored: Practical tips for Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020
- Pensando positioned as high-performance alternative to cloud provider 'lock-in' - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- How M&E organisations can enable remote work with cloud-based video and animation production studios - ITProPortal - June 18th, 2020
- Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem - Stockhouse - June 18th, 2020
- Kia Motors partners with Google Cloud to develop AI-based owner's manual app - Automotive World - June 18th, 2020
- Function-as-a-Service Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2017-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- How Lenovo, Cellnex, Nearby Computing Are Delivering on the Edge - eWeek - June 18th, 2020
- Dell Technologies Shifts AI Adoption into the Fast Lane with Simplified Advanced Computing - CXOToday.com - June 18th, 2020
- AWS mitigated a record-breaking 2.3 Tbps DDoS attack in February - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- Deluxe Revolutionizes Distribution of Content to Theaters with Cloud-Based IP Delivery Solution through Deluxe One Platform - HostReview.com - June 18th, 2020
- Report: France and Germany team up on a cloud-computing ecosystem to take on Amazon, Microsoft and Google - FierceTelecom - June 6th, 2020
- Dive into the history of server hardware - TechTarget - June 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Private Cloud Server Market : What is the projected sales growth for 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- NextCloud gets bigger and better with Nextcloud Hub 19 - ZDNet - June 6th, 2020
- Micron Has the Potential to Rise 50% From Here - TheStreet - June 6th, 2020
- Kofax Partners with Microsoft to Enhance Cloud-Based Universal Print Solution with ControlSuite - Industry Analysts Inc - June 6th, 2020
- Dell and Intel answer the call for AI by building specific solutions for real problems - SiliconANGLE - June 6th, 2020
- Data Protection As A Service Market Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing via satellite to drive 52 Exabytes of traffic by 2029: NSR - SatelliteProME.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Multinational Insurance Company Completes Upgrade of Majesco Policy for P&C from On-Premise to Majesco CloudInsurer to Bolster Growth Strategy -... - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Marked US$ 13 Bn in forecast Years 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing, future trends to be followed in the industry - Optocrypto - June 2nd, 2020
- You couldn't do this already? AWS adds size and bandwidth growth to FSx for Windows File Server - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Upstream Security Partners With Amazon Web Services to Enhance Automotive Cybersecurity - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2020
- Improvements on the verify domain error in Office 365 - TechGenix - June 2nd, 2020
- Digital transformation held back by lack of skilled people - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- NTT Com internal cloud server hacked, information on 621 customers stolen - DatacenterDynamics - June 2nd, 2020
- Where is the edge in edge computing? And who gets to decide? - ZDNet - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud-native architectures will define the vRAN future - 5Gradar - June 2nd, 2020