The latest headlines in your inbox
A London maths teacher whose free online learning platform is seeing over half a million hits a day as schools shut down worldwide due to coronavirus has been shortlisted to win the title of worlds best teacher.
Dr Jamie Frost, 33, who holds a PhD in Computer Science from Oxford University and was previously investment banker, now works over 90 hours a week running website DrFrostMaths.com while holding down a full-time job at Tiffin School, a boys grammar in Kingston.
His free site, which earned him the nomination for the sixth Varkey Foundation $1 million Global Teacher Prize, offers interactive online quizzes and teaching slides, videos, and a bank of UK exam board questions for students to practice on - as well as learning resources for teachers.
Dr Frost says it has had nearly seven million downloads and is used by 5,500 schools worldwide, including over half of all UK secondaries.
Since schools began closing worldwide due to the coronavirus pandemic it has seen more than 100,000 additional visits per day, and Dr Frost told the Standard its now going up.
He said: I will easily exceed half a million today.
The dedicated server is absolutely hammered because schools are closed. Theres so much traffic its struggling to cope the problem is going to be getting worse every day.
I reached out to tech companies for help... Google has now reached out to me to offer $10,000 of free 'cloud credit' and potential support moving the site to their cloud servers. It is fantastic.
Tiffin School, which shut on Monday for deep cleaning over COVID 19, is using the site for Year 11 practice exams this week.
The teacher, who lives in Surbiton, added: Its remarkable how even with schools shut down we are able to cope using technology.
Dr Frost started out as an investment banker, coding trading algorithms for Morgan Stanley in New York and Canary Wharf, but found it soul destroying.
He realised he was happier sharing his knowledge with students, as he had as an adjunct teacher at Oxford.
He completed teacher training and began working at Tiffin School in 2013, and initially launched the site in a bid to help pupils who were struggling with maths.
The Global Teacher Prize will be awarded at the Natural History Museum on October 12.
It is awarded to a single school teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession, and aims to shine a spotlight on the important role teachers play in society.
The winning educator is allowed to put their $1 million, awarded in equal instalments over 10 years, towards new projects and initiatives of their choosing.
The shortlist is compiled from over 40,000 entries worldwide by a panel of international education experts.
If he wins the prize, Dr Frost plans to use the funding to expand the site to offer questions and support on exam syllabuses in some of the sites most popular regions outside the UK, such as Malaysia, and employ teachers there to help.
The sites resources have already been used to teach in a district of schools in Zimbabwe.
Hear Dr Frost on this episode of The Leader podcast:
Dr Frost said: I love teaching so much, being in the classroom and interacting with kids. I am just delighted to be shortlisted.
Its absolutely fantastic, but its not about the recognition. Its that if I was to win the money I would spend it all on expanding the platform more globally.
Tiffin School headteacher, Mike Gascoigne, said: Dr Jamie Frost is an amazing teacher who fully deserves his shortlisting for this incredible award.
"As a Tiffin teacher, the school is proud to support his brilliant work.
At this time of COVID19 crisis and isolation, it will undoubtedly be even more useful to schools and pupils. He is a truly inspirational teacher making a huge impact in the world of maths.
- Microsoft answers Amazons Verizon cloud partnership with new 5G-enabled Azure Edge Zones, starting with AT&T - GeekWire - April 1st, 2020
- Local Break Out (LBO) and Its Role in Bringing Cloud to the Edge - Data Center Knowledge - April 1st, 2020
- Snap Launches App Stories to Expand Its Reach - Nasdaq - April 1st, 2020
- Holy Water: A creative water-holing attack discovered by Kaspersky - ETCIO.com - April 1st, 2020
- StorageOS hits the big 2.0 as it targets more 'mature' clusters - DevClass - April 1st, 2020
- North West Logistics moves to the cloud - Tina Massey - April 1st, 2020
- Micron Gains as Cloud Strength Boosts its Earnings and Guidance - TheStreet - March 26th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Security Tool Adoption: Latest Research Findings - MSSP Alert - March 26th, 2020
- Supermicro Accelerates AI and Deep Learning with NGC-Ready Servers - insideHPC - March 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 puts corporate WFH capabilities to the test - SC Magazine - March 26th, 2020
- Discover aspects of the Hybrid Cloud Market as it value achieves $171926 million with CAGR 21.7% - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 26th, 2020
- Dell debuts oven-ready AI platforms to ease researchers' setup pain - Blocks and Files - March 26th, 2020
- How is Coronavirus Affecting the Daily Lives of Architects? Our Readers Answer - ArchDaily - March 26th, 2020
- Enabling AI with edge computing and HCI - Techerati - March 26th, 2020
- StackPath and Broadcom Collaborate to Boost Cloud Compute Services at the Edge - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- 5 Innovative Applications of Edge Computing - AiThority - March 25th, 2020
- NVIDIA, Azure And AWS Offer Free Resources To Fight Against COVID-19 - Analytics India Magazine - March 25th, 2020
- Cloud Server: Market 2020 What Factors will drive the Market in Upcoming Years Dell, HP, IBM, Oracle, Cisco, Fujitsu, Hitachi, NEC - News Times - March 25th, 2020
- Centrica operations are boosted by development of cloud-based system - Information Age - March 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How organisations align IT costs with business value - Software Testing News - March 25th, 2020
- Sysdig Provides the First Cloud-Scale Prometheus Monitoring Offering - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- Insights on the ASEAN and Taiwan Cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service Market - Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Say Goodbye to legacy: Moving over to cloud-native availability solutions - Bdaily - March 25th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Paul Taylor: 'Events like this will push banking into the cloud' - AltFi - March 25th, 2020
- Head in the Clouds: Managing Security in a Multi-Cloud World - TechSpective - March 25th, 2020
- Laser Links will link small satellites to Earth and each other - Laser Focus World - March 25th, 2020
- The trouble with cloud evaluations amid too many choices - TechTarget - March 25th, 2020
- Cloud Computing is Helping Deal with Coronavirus - Analytics Insight - March 23rd, 2020
- Owner Says Tesla Model 3 Window Shattered By Itself, Accused Of FUD - InsideEVs - March 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the ASEAN and Taiwan Cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service Market - Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 23rd, 2020
- Link11 Offers Its Cloud-Based DDoS Protection Solution To Public Sector Organizations Free Of Cost During COVID-19 - SecurityInformed - March 23rd, 2020
- Here's how AI is helping Indian Insurance industry improve customer experience - ETCIO.com - March 23rd, 2020
- New HomeKit-compatible pan-and-tilt Eufy camera seems to be on the way - 9to5Mac - March 23rd, 2020
- AI can better predict drug response to lung cancer therapies - ETCIO.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Evolution of the Cloud Conversation - UC Today - March 23rd, 2020
- Galvanizing the new age of IT with AI and hybrid cloud - ETCIO.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Surge in home working highlights Microsoft licensing issue: If you are not on subscription, working remotely is a premium feature - The Register - March 23rd, 2020
- Google Teams Up with Solo.io to Extend Istio - Container Journal - March 23rd, 2020
- Running These Workloads? You Should Take A Look At The IBM Z15 - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Servers Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - Express Journal - March 19th, 2020
- VPN deal: 73% off and a cloud storage freebie with this limited time offer - TechRadar India - March 19th, 2020
- Ampere's server chip has 80 Arm CPU cores? Yeah, well, our ThunderX3 will have 96 with 384 threads, says Marvell - The Register - March 19th, 2020
- Pushing the cloud to the limit, with UKFast's Chris Folkerd - Techerati - March 19th, 2020
- The global malware analysis market was valued at US$ 2.55 Bn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 29.2% during the forecast period 2019 -... - March 19th, 2020
- Immersion Neuroscience Index Reveals the Public Craves Direction From Its Elected Leaders, Not Celebrities, During a Crisis - Business Wire - March 19th, 2020
- Memo to MSPs: Is There A Safe Way to Visit Customer Offices? - ChannelE2E - March 19th, 2020
- Global Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Markets to 2025 - IBM, Cisco, Huawei and Microsoft are the Forerunners of this $27 Billion-Projected Industry -... - March 19th, 2020
- Spectro Cloud Launches With $7.5 Million to Help Enterprises Realize the Promise of Kubernetes - GlobeNewswire - March 19th, 2020
- Pockets of Density Will Be More Common in Future Data Centers - Data Center Frontier - March 19th, 2020
- Cloud of uncertainty for restaurants, bars, and servers - WKBW-TV - March 17th, 2020
- Google: This is what caused CPU throttling at our cloud data center - ZDNet - March 17th, 2020
- Google reveals the wheels almost literally fell off one of its cloudy server racks - The Register - March 17th, 2020
- The Last Hurrah Before The Server Recession - The Next Platform - March 17th, 2020
- Google Translates real time transcription feature is out now for Android - The Verge - March 17th, 2020
- Data storage in the cloud: 5 ways to make it faster and cheaper - TechGenix - March 17th, 2020
- Spectro Cloud Launches With $7.5 Million to Help Enterprises Realize the Promise of Kubernetes - Container Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Need to build a high-performance private cloud? You need the QNAP TVS-1282T3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS - ZDNet - March 17th, 2020
- Your No. 1 Cloud Threat is 'Excessive Permissions' - CXOToday.com - March 17th, 2020
- Bipartisan Senate Judiciary Committee introduces bill that censors online content and attacks encryption - World Socialist Web Site - March 17th, 2020
- Business101: 5 Reasons why small and medium businesses should consider cloud technology - IOL - March 17th, 2020
- NetApp Acquires Talon Storage, Providing Integration with Cloud Services and File Shares - Database Trends and Applications - March 17th, 2020
- Microsoft, Google, Slack, Zoom et al struggling to deal with a spike in remote tools thanks to coronavirus - The Register - March 17th, 2020
- Differences Between The Types Of Hosting Services - Knnit - Knnit - March 17th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market 2020: Applications, Types and Growing Trends in Market, Gro - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Cloud firms turn to long nights, employee health checks to survive work-from-home rush - Japan Today - March 17th, 2020
- Where to look for cost savings in the cloud - TechCentral.ie - March 17th, 2020
- Solar Industry Grows 23% in 2019, But Clouds Are on the Horizon - Nasdaq - March 17th, 2020
- Azure admins' cold sweat likely caused by a 'isolated' power problems that browned out West Central USA region - The Register - March 17th, 2020
- Lloyds to partner with Google Cloud - Business Insider - Business Insider Nordic - March 11th, 2020
- What Is An Advanced Cloud? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- Cloud Adoption Will Be On A Rise In 2020 - HostReview.com - March 11th, 2020
- Alveo U25 SmartNIC turnkey solution for the Cloud - Fudzilla - March 11th, 2020
- VMware embraces Kubernetes with vSphere 7 - Blocks and Files - March 11th, 2020
- Supermicro Unveils MegaDC Servers - The First Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) Systems Designed Exclusively for Hyperscale Datacenters - Associated... - March 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Global Outbreaks: Coordinating Your Remote Business Operations - China Briefing - March 11th, 2020
- How Mircom Group is using technology to turn buildings into active, networking machines - The Globe and Mail - March 11th, 2020
- Mastering the multicloud maze: how to choose the right solution for your business - UKTN - March 11th, 2020
- The not-so-Smart Home is available now to disable the Server in the Cloud, behind the Lightify - Play Crazy Game - March 11th, 2020
- Supermicro's data centre on a pole sends IoT processing to the Edge - Data Economy - March 9th, 2020
- Amazon, Microsoft cloud-computing can weather a recession and coronavirus, analysts say - The Columbian - March 9th, 2020