While Microns (MU) - Get Reportsales to some major customers are under pressure, its sales to some others are holding up pretty well right now.
After the bell on Wednesday, the memory giant reported February quarter (fiscal second quarter) revenue of $4.8 billion (down 18% annually) and non-GAAP EPS of $0.45, topping consensus analyst estimates of $4.69 billion and $0.37.
Micron also guided for May quarter revenue of $4.6 billion to $5.2 billion and non-GAAP EPS of $0.40 to $0.70. The midpoints of those wider-than-usual guidance ranges are slightly above consensus estimates of $4.87 billion and $0.52.
With markets having been on edge about the COVID-19 pandemics impact on Microns sales, the numbers are going over well. As of the time of this article, Microns stock is up 5.3% in after-hours trading to $44.75. Shares are now up 44% from a March 18 low of $31.13, albeit still down 27% from a Feb. 12 52-week high of $61.19.
In its prepared remarks, Micron did caution that it expects smartphone, consumer electronics and automotive demand to be below prior expectations during the second half of its fiscal 2020 (ends in Aug. 2020). However, the company also noted it has seen higher notebook demand as more workers and students work and learn from home, and that demand from data center end-markets (already on the upswing in recent months thanks to a cloud capex rebound) is strong as usage for various online/cloud services grows, and even leading to shortages.
In addition, Micron reported that Chinas COVID-19 pandemic weighed on its sales to consumer electronics clients and caused factory shutdowns for some clients. However, it added local data center demand was strong, and that Chinese smartphone production volumes have begun to rebound.
Micron's near-term demand outlook. Source: Micron.
Microns demand commentary has some things in common with what GPU giant and Micron graphics DRAM client Nvidia (NVDA) - Get Reportshared on a Tuesday conference call. Among other things, Nvidia said its seeing strong demand for GPUs going into notebooks and cloud servers, and indicated Chinese demand has begun normalizing. Micron, for its part, disclosed that its bit shipments of GDDR6 graphics DRAM (used by some of Nvidias GPUs) rose over 40% sequentially last quarter.
With full-year supply and demand trends quite uncertain right now, Micron chose not to provide calendar 2020 outlooks for DRAM and NAND flash memory bit supply and demand growth -- either for itself or the memory industry at-large.
In December, Micron guided for DRAM industry bit demand to grow by a mid-teens percentage this year, and for NAND bit demand to grow by a high-20s to low-30s percentage. Now, Micron is merely reiterating long-term guidance for DRAM bit demand to see a mid-to-high teens compound annual growth rate (CAGR), and for NAND bit demand to see a roughly 30% CAGR.
Micron is also for now reiterating fiscal 2020 capital spending guidance of $7 billion to $8 billion, while adding that its evaluating its capex plans for calendar 2020. Several chip equipment makers, including Applied Materials (AMAT) - Get Report, have withdrawn their quarterly guidance, while noting that recent lockdown orders have impacted their manufacturing operations.
Micron received a few questions on its earnings call about inventory levels -- both its own and those of its customers.
Microns inventory rose by $300 million sequentially to $5.2 billion, leading its days of inventory to rise by 13 to 134. The company insisted that much of this growth was due to seasonality and the holding of additional NAND inventory ahead of a technology transition. However, it also reported building its raw materials stockpiles due to supply chain uncertainty.
Separately, Micron admitted that just as its stockpiling raw materials, some of its customers could be stockpiling memory products, and that these efforts could be masking weakening end-market demand.
Following a sharp downturn in late 2018 and early 2019, DRAM and (especially) NAND pricing trends have seen meaningful improvement, as industry capex cuts make themselves felt. And for now at least, Micron insists memory pricing trends remain favorable.
During the February quarter, Microns DRAM average selling price (ASP) was roughly flat sequentially, after having dropped by a high-single digit percentage in its November quarter. NAND ASP rose by a high-single digit percentage, after having risen by a low-single digit percentage in the November quarter.
- Charting the Massive Scale of the Digital Cloud - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- The Interaction Between Identity Cloud and Akamai Edge Services - Security Boulevard - July 14th, 2020
- CHR, Microsoft partner on cloud and visibility - JOC.com - July 14th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services CEO Andy Jassy on How the Cloud is Aiding Vaccine Development; Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning that is Transforming... - July 14th, 2020
- Server Management Software Market 2020 Global Size, COVID 19 Outbreak, Segments, Growth and Trends by Forecast to 2023 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Tengxunyun.net.cn Is Now Among the Best Online Blogs That Cover Information Regarding Tencent Cloud Server Service - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is upping the ante on Asian rival Alibaba Cloud - TechHQ - July 14th, 2020
- Top 5 things to know about serverless computing - TechRepublic - July 14th, 2020
- Businesses That Need Cloud Services - Student Assembly of the State University of New York - July 14th, 2020
- An Army of Swipers: Dating in the Modern Age - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- QNAPs AirPlay-enabled 2-Bay Cloud NAS falls to Amazon low at $239 (20% off) - 9to5Toys - July 14th, 2020
- Discover the Power of VUNO's AI Solutions at ECR 2020 - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Evaluate the top hybrid cloud providers - TechTarget - July 14th, 2020
- Why Businesses Are Implementing Edge Analytics in Their Line of Work - RTInsights - July 14th, 2020
- Get Off the Cloud With Start9's Private Internet Kit - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Size, Top Leaders, Analytical Overview, Business Growth, Sales Revenue and Forecast 2023 - Sports... - July 14th, 2020
- Windows PCs will have to follow Apples switch to ARM, says former Mac chief - 9to5Mac - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Server Market In-Depth Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Latest Innovations, Applications, And Growth Forecast... - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Key Players Analysis, Business Growth, Regional Trends and Forecast 2023 - Daily... - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is bringing the storm clouds to arch-rival Alibaba - Tech Wire Asia - July 6th, 2020
- Unsecured servers leaked data of millions of users of dating sites and apps - TEISS - July 6th, 2020
- How Ather Energy is leveraging the Cloud to build and scale smart mobility solutions for India - YourStory - July 6th, 2020
- Nextcloud, the open source platform that allows you to install and configure your own personal cloud on a web server - Explica - July 6th, 2020
- The Chinese Government is Accessing YOUR Network Through the Backdoor and There Still is NO Place to Hide - China Law Blog - July 6th, 2020
- Scientific Thinking: Processes, methods, and approaches with reference to Deep Tech - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Best VPNs to consider in 2020 - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 6th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G in Digital Transformation for Industries at GSMA Thrive - Al-Bawaba - July 5th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief Australia - July 5th, 2020
- 360Quadrants Releases Top 10 Cloud Computing Software In 2020 edited by leading research firm - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Watch Netflix With NordVPN: Does it Work in 2020 ? - Cloudwards - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020