We talk to the UKFast director about the UK cloud landscape and how companies can maximise efficiencies, protect critical data and ensure cloud costs are kept under control
Chris Folkerd is Director of Enterprise Technologies at UK cloud hosting company UKFast. Conceived in the bedroom of a tiny flat just off Manchesters Oxford Road over twenty years ago, UKFast has grown into a multi-million-pound business which, via its five UK data centres, hosts the critical infrastructure of a raft of big-name organisations, including Chester Zoo and the NHS.
As UKFast is such a pivotal figure in the UK cloud market, the company provides a useful barometer of the state of the nations cloud investments. Folkerd described the UK cloud market as vibrant and told me that strong uptake has now matured to wholesale adoption across the board.
This adoption is translating into greater maturity, he said. Companies are increasingly asking about containers and security, and have become more clued up about service providers and compliance obligations.
People are asking a lot about what containers are, how they can benefit business, or if the business is a bit further along its journey, how containers can be implemented alongside, or as an alternative to, traditional virtualised platforms, he added.
When it comes to security, Folkerd said customers are asking more questions about the security of UKFasts underlying architecture and infrastructure, and how they can go about reinforcing the security of their applications.
Despite growing maturity, Folkerd cautioned a lot of customers are still failing to get the most from cloud investments. He said enthusiasm about cloud should always be tempered by aligning adoption to business goals.
We like to keep customers focussed on achieving the end goal, rather than having a specific piece of buzzword technology they want to adopt or adopting lots of different services just because theyve read that theyre the next big thing, he said.
Another issue is that many companies are not picking cloud billing models that fit their needs, whether fixed monthly cost or elastic scaling.
While initial calculations may appear cost-effective, businesses can end up spending a lot more than initially planned when load and utilisation are factored in. For instance, if a customer on a PAYG model experiences rogue SQL queries which get stuck in a loop on a database server, it could cost them 50,000 overnight.
Making sure you pick the right providers means doing your research and working in consultation with them to choose the right technologies and then writing your code in a way that efficiently utilises those resources, Folkerd added.
There are lots of different ways of doing things in the cloud and its about making sure the one you adopt works for you, does what you need and is the most efficient. Having the right technology platform makes a big difference. It sounds obvious, but businesses get it wrong on a regular basis.
Another key piece of education Folkerd has for businesses is ensuring the cloud software stack is optimised for the hardware it sits on.
The first risk is efficiency. If hardware and software are not in sync, it can lead to wasted compute resources. Its not just about cost, but security, too. Folkerd said its crucial organisations have a full-stack view when developing in the cloud and work closely with providers to plug any gaps.
We always say security is a partnership. You can be sitting on the most secure, world-class infrastructure, but if your code is weak or poorly written, hackers will get in. Having a partnership around security, around resource provisioning, around technology and around APIs will help you get the most out of your platform.
Despite the rising popularity of cloud-native development and deployment, to take advantage of clouds potential in the coming decade, Chris said its still vital that organisations maintain a broad range of tech skillsets.
The popular skills at the moment are around serverless compute for rapid, dynamic, scalable applications and DevOps, he said. But at the same time, probably 80 percent of the code base out there isnt cloud native. So its really a spread bet across the entire tech spectrum.
One of Folkerds key messages for end-uses is around what he calls catastrophobia mitigating the dangers of outages with disaster recovery and ensuring applications are designed with high-availability in mind whether thats local site in the event of hardware failure, geographic resilience, or for performance capabilities when serving customers in different locations.
Theres a lot of different strategies out there and lots of different vendors offering different solutions. Have a chat with our UKFast teamto make sense of the different options best for you.
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020
- Pensando positioned as high-performance alternative to cloud provider 'lock-in' - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- How M&E organisations can enable remote work with cloud-based video and animation production studios - ITProPortal - June 18th, 2020
- Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem - Stockhouse - June 18th, 2020
- Kia Motors partners with Google Cloud to develop AI-based owner's manual app - Automotive World - June 18th, 2020
- Function-as-a-Service Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2017-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- How Lenovo, Cellnex, Nearby Computing Are Delivering on the Edge - eWeek - June 18th, 2020
- Dell Technologies Shifts AI Adoption into the Fast Lane with Simplified Advanced Computing - CXOToday.com - June 18th, 2020
- AWS mitigated a record-breaking 2.3 Tbps DDoS attack in February - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- Deluxe Revolutionizes Distribution of Content to Theaters with Cloud-Based IP Delivery Solution through Deluxe One Platform - HostReview.com - June 18th, 2020
- Report: France and Germany team up on a cloud-computing ecosystem to take on Amazon, Microsoft and Google - FierceTelecom - June 6th, 2020
- Dive into the history of server hardware - TechTarget - June 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Private Cloud Server Market : What is the projected sales growth for 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- NextCloud gets bigger and better with Nextcloud Hub 19 - ZDNet - June 6th, 2020
- Micron Has the Potential to Rise 50% From Here - TheStreet - June 6th, 2020
- Kofax Partners with Microsoft to Enhance Cloud-Based Universal Print Solution with ControlSuite - Industry Analysts Inc - June 6th, 2020
- Dell and Intel answer the call for AI by building specific solutions for real problems - SiliconANGLE - June 6th, 2020
- Data Protection As A Service Market Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing via satellite to drive 52 Exabytes of traffic by 2029: NSR - SatelliteProME.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Multinational Insurance Company Completes Upgrade of Majesco Policy for P&C from On-Premise to Majesco CloudInsurer to Bolster Growth Strategy -... - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Marked US$ 13 Bn in forecast Years 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing, future trends to be followed in the industry - Optocrypto - June 2nd, 2020
- You couldn't do this already? AWS adds size and bandwidth growth to FSx for Windows File Server - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Upstream Security Partners With Amazon Web Services to Enhance Automotive Cybersecurity - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2020
- Improvements on the verify domain error in Office 365 - TechGenix - June 2nd, 2020
- Digital transformation held back by lack of skilled people - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- NTT Com internal cloud server hacked, information on 621 customers stolen - DatacenterDynamics - June 2nd, 2020
- Where is the edge in edge computing? And who gets to decide? - ZDNet - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud-native architectures will define the vRAN future - 5Gradar - June 2nd, 2020
- Developers recall career 'aha' moments that have shaped their Docker experience - SiliconANGLE News - June 2nd, 2020
- HSBC platform uses AI to analyse trading data thousands of times faster - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- CloudBolt Releases Version 9.3 of Its Award-Winning Cloud Management Platform - Container Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Kaminario offers cut-price virtual SAN in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- 4 types of mobile security models and how they work - TechTarget - May 31st, 2020
- Increased cybersecurity for the transportation industry - Commercial Carrier Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud-Based Firewalls Are Key to Protecting Employees While Working Remotely - Security Boulevard - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud storage 101: File, block and object storage in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud Transition During the COVID-19 Exposing the Enterprise Vulnerabilities - EnterpriseTalk - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Shelves are well-stocked with cloud-native tools, but simplicity remains a moving target - SiliconANGLE - May 31st, 2020
- Uncover and overcome cloud threat hunting obstacles - TechTarget - May 26th, 2020