AppScale CEO Woody Rollins talks importance of hybrid cloud, AWS compatibility and channel plans.
As more enterprises seek to avoid cloud vendor lock-in through hybrid options, providers are innovating and accommodating.
The latest such news this week comes from AppScale Systems and Packet.
First, though, some background. AppScale is an Amazon Web Services-compatible IaaS platform. It is basically the former Eucalyptus same code, same people, AppScale says on its blog after a years-long M&A saga that involved Hewlett Packard. Eventually, the inventors of Eucalyptus got their product back and have rebranded it as AppScale.
Packet, meanwhile, specializes in public cloud data centers and bare-metal automation. Together, AppScale and Packet are enabling enterprises to deploy AWS workloads on Packets bare-metal servers without modifying those workloads. The companies say this allows for use cases including development and testing, placing computation close to data, and moving workloads to the appropriate platform based on current application requirements.
AppScales Woody Rollins
Channel Futures wanted to know what this all means for the channel and get a better feel for AppScales plans for its indirect partners. In this edited Q&A, AppScale CEO Woody Rollins explains.
Channel Futures: Talk about what the Packet deal means for channel partners. Whats the significance for them and their ability to build their businesses?
Woody Rollins: Today, almost 60% of enterprises are driving a hybrid cloud strategy that aligns application requirements and platform capabilities. Many of these enterprises want to leverage their existing AWS investments and embrace a single AWS development and deployment paradigm across hybrid cloud environments (Gartner sees 20% of enterprise customers deploying an AWS hybrid cloud by 2022).
The AppScale-Packet solution, which allows deployment of AWS workloads on Packets bare-metal servers, is a significant growth opportunity for partners as enterprises look to deploy AWS hybrid environments; and at the same time, fulfill key business objectives: vendor independence, data control and cost effectiveness. The complexities of hybrid cloud deployments will push the majority of enterprises to enlist partners to help with the assessment, migration and management of these AWS public/non-public environments.
Partners who have invested in AWS expertise, hybrid cloud professional services, and who can deliver attractive solution options that address unique enterprise requirements should see strong demand as the market for hybrid cloud solutions based on the public cloud market leader accelerate.
CF: Can you provide a concrete example of what the AppScale-Packet partnership might look like to a partner? In other words, what kind of client would a partner target with this combined capability and what specific business-outcome value would the partner bring to the table?
WR: AppScale and Packet are looking for partners that offer a full range of hybrid cloud services (assessment, migration, management) that complement the joint AWS-compatible infrastructure as a service platform offering. Partners can target a wide variety of enterprise customers who have embraced the AWS public cloud, intend to deploy a hybrid cloud solution based on AWS technology, and who find themselves looking for a solution that maintains business flexibility, allows for control of business-critical data and ensures cost objectives are met.
Today, partners can start by helping enterprises with
See the article here:
Q&A: Digging Into the Channel Significance of the AppScale-Packet News - Channel Futures
- GIGABYTE Announces Servers are Ready for the 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Processors - HPCwire - February 25th, 2020
- Alternating Phase PDU as a Solution to Three Power Distribution in Data Centers - Data Center Frontier - February 25th, 2020
- Revolutionary Mellanox ConnectX-6 Dx SmartNICs and BlueField-2 I/O Processing Units Transform Cloud and Data Center Security - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- 3 ways AI is transforming the insurance industry - The Next Web - February 25th, 2020
- BeyondTrust Expands Cloud Leadership with Privilege Management Delivered As-A-Service - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2020
- Nokia introduces cloud-native Assurance and Experience software to help CSPs move toward experience-driven and automated 5G network operations -... - February 25th, 2020
- Global Virtual Private Server Market (2019 to 2026) - CAGR of 16.2% Expected During the Forecast Period - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Ride The Tiger: Micron Is Positioned To Become A Powerhouse - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- MWC Canceled, GIGABYTE Turns Its Exhibition Digital and Showcases Multi-access Edge Computing Infrastructure to Realize 5G Networks - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- TYAN Packs Lots of Performance in a 1U Package - Embedded Computing Design - February 25th, 2020
- Graphcore, the AI chipmaker, raises another $150M at a $1.95B valuation - TechCrunch - February 25th, 2020
- Dell at the Edge: Servers, Data Centers and Software for Deployment Anywhere - EnterpriseAI - February 21st, 2020
- Cohesity branches out data management software to ROBO and the edge - Blocks and Files - February 21st, 2020
- Data Center REITs: Battle Of The Clouds - Seeking Alpha - February 21st, 2020
- High-risk vulnerabilities and public cloud-based attacks on the rise - Help Net Security - February 21st, 2020
- Executive interview: Making IT sustainable - ComputerWeekly.com - February 21st, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2019-2025 - News Parents - February 21st, 2020
- Save $484 on Dell's PowerEdge small business server with this promo code - ZDNet - February 21st, 2020
- Evolution of Infrastructure as a Service - App Developer Magazine - February 21st, 2020
- Turn government paperwork into efficient workflows heres the proof - ITBusiness.ca - February 21st, 2020
- Locking Down the Kernel and Securing the Container - Container Journal - February 21st, 2020
- 13 Cloud-Based Services Every Tech Department Should Invest In - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Cohesity Announces First ROBO Solution That Combines Backup and Recovery, File and Object Services, and Cloud Archival on Certified Servers From Key... - February 19th, 2020
- G-Core spreads its cloud and edge connectivity to London - Data Economy - February 19th, 2020
- Outwood Trust Academies opts for cloud-like technology, without the cost - Diginomica - February 19th, 2020
- Snow Software-Embotics Named a Leader in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud Management Platforms for Second Straight Year - Yahoo Finance - February 19th, 2020
- Mapping in the Cloud - Offshore Engineer - February 19th, 2020
- Is there real benefit in cloud for SA businesses? - Bizcommunity.com - February 19th, 2020
- Atos and Microsoft join forces to deliver better SAP cloud performance - Data Economy - February 19th, 2020
- Spikes in High-Risk Vulnerabilities and Public Cloud-Based Attacks Dominate Threat Landscape, Imperva Researchers Find With New Cyber Threat Index -... - February 19th, 2020
- Apple Watch may have saved the life of a 13-year-old in Oklahoma - iMore - February 19th, 2020
- Asian Wealth Management and Asian Private Banking - CJC Expands Cloud Propositions With Launch of DACS in the Cloud Solution - Hubbis - February 19th, 2020
- Cloud misconfigurations expose over 33 billion records in two years - BetaNews - February 19th, 2020
- Veego Home Scoring Delivers Real-Time Evaluations of Connected-Home Quality - PR Web - February 19th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of 4704.T earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-20 7:00am GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 19th, 2020
- How Much Does It Cost To Build Cloud Computing Service? - Customer Think - February 15th, 2020
- How to protect against the most pressing threat to healthcare clouds today - Healthcare IT News - February 15th, 2020
- How AI In Edge Computing Drives 5G And The IoT - SemiEngineering - February 15th, 2020
- Online voting takes another hit - GCN.com - February 15th, 2020
- Security Researchers Find Flaws in Online Voting System Tested in Five States - Mother Jones - February 15th, 2020
- Five cloud-based tools your business needs - IT PRO - February 15th, 2020
- DDoS report reveals that the complexity and volume of attacks continues to grow - Continuity Central - February 15th, 2020
- How To Fill Your Data Lakes And Not Lose Control Of The Data - Forbes - February 15th, 2020
- The Biometric Threat by Jayati Ghosh - Project Syndicate - February 15th, 2020
- Throwing Down The Gauntlet To CPU Incumbents - The Next Platform - February 15th, 2020
- China retreats online to weather coronavirus storm - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - February 15th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market Size, Share, Growth Rate and Gross Margin, Industry Chain Analysis, Development Trends & Industry Forecast Report 2025 -... - February 15th, 2020
- X-Force Threat Intelligence Index Reveals Top Cybersecurity Risks of 2020 - Security Intelligence - February 15th, 2020
- The APAC data center market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 3% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - February 15th, 2020
- Spotting the elephant in the room: Why cloud will not burst colo's bubble just yet - Cloud Tech - February 11th, 2020
- The frequency of DDoS attacks depends on the day and time - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2020
- State and Local Agencies Learn Cloud Strategies from the Feds - StateTech Magazine - February 11th, 2020
- ARMs new edge AI chips promise IoT devices that wont need the cloud - The Verge - February 11th, 2020
- Configuration mistakes blamed for bulk of stolen records last year: IBM - IT World Canada - February 11th, 2020
- IT infrastructure trends 2020 - Verdict - February 11th, 2020
- Why Profits From Amazon's Cloud Business Could Be About to Soar - Motley Fool - February 8th, 2020
- Sophos is named one of the coolest cloud companies - Naked Security - February 8th, 2020
- Interpreting Top Dos and Don'ts While Migrating to the Cloud - Analytics Insight - February 8th, 2020
- EnGenius Cloud-Based Management For Networks Could Save You A Heap Of Time, Money And Carbon - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Pillars of AWS Well-Architected Framework - TechiExpert.com - February 8th, 2020
- Enabling the Network Edge With Hardware-Based Acceleration - The Fast Mode - February 8th, 2020
- Global Automotive Telematics Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2019-2026 - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - February 8th, 2020
- The 13 Top Integration Platform as a Service Vendors for 2020 - Solutions Review - February 8th, 2020
- State of the Cloud, February 2020 - Cloudwards - February 8th, 2020
- Microsoft Made The Same Move That Launched Amazon 3,848% - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- IGEL Teams with AMD to Optimize the UD3 Endpoint for Cloud Workspaces - Yahoo Finance - February 8th, 2020
- Return of the IT architects: how edge computing is unlocking value for global organisations - ITProPortal - February 8th, 2020
- Why we invested in Run - CoinGeek - February 6th, 2020
- Cloud Capex Is Growing Again - But the Spending Is Now More Efficient - TheStreet - February 6th, 2020
- Cloudtech startup Rapyder has partnered with AWS to help clients with digital transformation - YourStory - February 6th, 2020
- Data breach exposes need to secure cloud servers - IT-Online - February 6th, 2020
- DARPA plans shift from AWS and on-prem to multicloud by 2022 - DatacenterDynamics - February 6th, 2020
- What AMD And Intel Quarterly Numbers Say About Datacenter Business - Forbes - February 6th, 2020
- Netskope hauls in another $340M investment on nearly $3B valuation - TechCrunch - February 6th, 2020
- How an Accounting Tweak Will Make Amazon's Most Profitable Business Even More Profitable - The Motley Fool - February 6th, 2020
- Difference Between Authorization and Authentication - Security Boulevard - February 6th, 2020
- Options Partners with Pure, Leverages Pure as-a-Service to Deliver All-NVMe, All Flash Cloud - HPCwire - February 6th, 2020
- IGEL Teams with AMD to Optimize the UD3 Endpoint for Cloud Workspaces - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2020
- Infrastructure-as-code templates are source of cloud infrastructure weaknesses - TechCentral.ie - February 6th, 2020
- Windows Server and the future of file servers in the cloud computing world - TechRepublic - February 4th, 2020