Choosing to follow the sun, the United States strongly turned to the solar industry in 2019. According to a new report fromWood Mackenzie/SEIA U.S. Solar Market Insight, the solar market installed 13.3 gigawatts (GW) of solar capacity in 2019, representing a 23% increase over 2018. In fact, approximately 40% of all new electric generating capacity in the U.S. came from solar in 2019 -- the largest annual percentage in the industry's history.
When expanding the time horizon even further, the solar industry's growth becomes even more glaring. Whereas cumulative photovoltaic (PV) operating capacity was 1 GW at the end of 2009, it now stands at over 76 GW. Industry experts expect growth will extend into 2020, but the global efforts to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus may curtail the robust growth that analysts have predicted.
Image source: Getty Images.
With the nonresidential PV market reporting a year-over-year decline in 2019, the residential market picked up the slack and contributed to the solar industry's record-breaking year. Besides growth in Texas, Nevada, and Florida, it was in sunny California where growth in the residential market was most noteworthy. In fact, it became the first state, in the fourth quarter of 2019, to install more than 300 megawatts (MW) of capacity in one quarter. While the mandated power outages stemming from the California wildfires represented one significant factor in that growth, new home construction also figured in prominently.
Unsurprisingly, the recent Q4 2019 earnings reports of some of the nation's leading residential solar providers are consistent with theWood Mackenzie/SEIA U.S. Solar Market Insight report. Sunrun (NASDAQ: RUN), for example, recently reported that it added 52,000 customers to its base in 2019, representing 22% growth over 2018; moreover, the company reported a 24.7% year-over-year increase in its cumulative leased megawatts deployed. Meanwhile,Vivint Solar (NYSE: VSLR), which has been providing residential solar solutions since 2011, reported that it ended 2019 with cumulative installed capacity of 1,294 MW, representing a year-over-year increase of 22%.
Despite the significant gains recognized in the residential PV market last year, the nonresidential market failed to grow in 2019. In fact, the 2 GW of nonresidential installations in 2019 represented a 7% decline from the approximately 2.14 GW of installations booked in 2018. According to Wood Mackenzie and SEIA, the shrinking nonresidential installations can be attributed to "a handful of state-specific regulatory cliffs and policy reforms in 2019." For example, in California, "installations declined year-over-year stemming from the transition to new time-of-use rates and the resulting damage to the favorability of project economics." Furthermore, interconnection delays in Massachusetts contributed to the state reporting its lowest annual nonresidential PV installed capacity total since 2013.
One bright spot in the nonresidential segment, however, was the growth of community solar, which allows community members to source their electricity from a solar installation that is accessible to the community. Gaining traction in a variety of states, community solar accounted for more than 500 MW of installations in 2019 for the third consecutive year.
Clearly, 2019 was a strong year for the solar industry, and according to experts, 2020 is poised to represent another year of considerable growth. In fact, Wood Mackenzie forecasts 20 GW of PV installations in 2020, representing 47% growth over the 13.3 GW added in 2019, due to "increased confidence in near-term projects being completed in 2020 and the spillover of several 2019 projects into 2020."
While this forecast may come to the delight of those keen on seeing renewable energy continue to assume a more prominent position in our energy landscape, it's imperative to note that the forecast doesn't account for the effects of the novel coronavirus on the industry. The changes brought to our daily lives as politicians implement increasingly stringent restrictions to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus will likely pose significant challenges to the industry. This may, for example, manifest as complications in the supply chain. Recently,Canadian Solar (NASDAQ: CSIQ), a leading manufacturer of PV modules, issued a press release in which the company stated that its manufacturing capacity suffered setbacks at the end of January through the first 10 days of February due to the virus.
For investors who have been bullish on solar, the industry's growth in 2019 and presumed continued growth in 2020 come as welcome news. However, the devastation wrought by the coronavirus may, likewise, dampen their auspicious outlooks. For investors with a long-term investing horizon, though, the possibility that the solar industry doesn't achieve its forecast of 47% year-over-year growth in 2020 is fairly inconsequential. The overarching trend is that the residential market has warmed up to the prospect of solar solutions for their homes. And although the prospect of delays in the installations of these systems may be unfavorable, it won't translate to homeowners eschewing the option altogether. The spread of the coronavirus will pose some challenges for the industry, but the long-term trend in growth remains intact.
10 stocks we like better than Vivint SolarWhen investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now... and Vivint Solar wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
See the 10 stocks
*Stock Advisor returns as of December 1, 2019
Scott Levine has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020
- Pensando positioned as high-performance alternative to cloud provider 'lock-in' - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- How M&E organisations can enable remote work with cloud-based video and animation production studios - ITProPortal - June 18th, 2020
- Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem - Stockhouse - June 18th, 2020
- Kia Motors partners with Google Cloud to develop AI-based owner's manual app - Automotive World - June 18th, 2020
- Function-as-a-Service Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2017-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- How Lenovo, Cellnex, Nearby Computing Are Delivering on the Edge - eWeek - June 18th, 2020
- Dell Technologies Shifts AI Adoption into the Fast Lane with Simplified Advanced Computing - CXOToday.com - June 18th, 2020
- AWS mitigated a record-breaking 2.3 Tbps DDoS attack in February - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- Deluxe Revolutionizes Distribution of Content to Theaters with Cloud-Based IP Delivery Solution through Deluxe One Platform - HostReview.com - June 18th, 2020
- Report: France and Germany team up on a cloud-computing ecosystem to take on Amazon, Microsoft and Google - FierceTelecom - June 6th, 2020
- Dive into the history of server hardware - TechTarget - June 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Private Cloud Server Market : What is the projected sales growth for 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- NextCloud gets bigger and better with Nextcloud Hub 19 - ZDNet - June 6th, 2020
- Micron Has the Potential to Rise 50% From Here - TheStreet - June 6th, 2020
- Kofax Partners with Microsoft to Enhance Cloud-Based Universal Print Solution with ControlSuite - Industry Analysts Inc - June 6th, 2020
- Dell and Intel answer the call for AI by building specific solutions for real problems - SiliconANGLE - June 6th, 2020
- Data Protection As A Service Market Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing via satellite to drive 52 Exabytes of traffic by 2029: NSR - SatelliteProME.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Multinational Insurance Company Completes Upgrade of Majesco Policy for P&C from On-Premise to Majesco CloudInsurer to Bolster Growth Strategy -... - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Marked US$ 13 Bn in forecast Years 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing, future trends to be followed in the industry - Optocrypto - June 2nd, 2020
- You couldn't do this already? AWS adds size and bandwidth growth to FSx for Windows File Server - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Upstream Security Partners With Amazon Web Services to Enhance Automotive Cybersecurity - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2020
- Improvements on the verify domain error in Office 365 - TechGenix - June 2nd, 2020
- Digital transformation held back by lack of skilled people - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- NTT Com internal cloud server hacked, information on 621 customers stolen - DatacenterDynamics - June 2nd, 2020
- Where is the edge in edge computing? And who gets to decide? - ZDNet - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud-native architectures will define the vRAN future - 5Gradar - June 2nd, 2020
- Developers recall career 'aha' moments that have shaped their Docker experience - SiliconANGLE News - June 2nd, 2020
- HSBC platform uses AI to analyse trading data thousands of times faster - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- CloudBolt Releases Version 9.3 of Its Award-Winning Cloud Management Platform - Container Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Kaminario offers cut-price virtual SAN in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- 4 types of mobile security models and how they work - TechTarget - May 31st, 2020
- Increased cybersecurity for the transportation industry - Commercial Carrier Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud-Based Firewalls Are Key to Protecting Employees While Working Remotely - Security Boulevard - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud storage 101: File, block and object storage in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud Transition During the COVID-19 Exposing the Enterprise Vulnerabilities - EnterpriseTalk - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Shelves are well-stocked with cloud-native tools, but simplicity remains a moving target - SiliconANGLE - May 31st, 2020
- Uncover and overcome cloud threat hunting obstacles - TechTarget - May 26th, 2020