Insecure cloud-computing services can be a huge risk for organisations because they're a regular target for cyber criminals. Researchers have demonstrated howvulnerable or misconfigured cloud servicescan be, after deploying hundreds of honeypots designed to look like insecure infrastructure, some of which lasted just minutes before being compromised by hackers.
Cybersecurity researchers at Palo Alto Networksset up a honeypot compromised of 320 nodes around the world, made up of multiple misconfigured instances of common cloud services, including remote desktop protocol (RDP), secure shell protocol (SSH), server message block (SMB) and Postgres databases.
The honeypot also includedaccounts configured to have default or weak passwords-- exactly the sort of things that cyber criminals are looking for when trying to breach networks.
SEE:Cloud security in 2021: A business guide to essential tools and best practices
And it wasn't long before cyber criminals discovered the honeypot and looked to exploit it -- some of the sites were compromised in minutes while 80% of the 320 honeypots were compromised within 24 hours. All of them had been compromised within a week.
The most attacked application was secure shell, which is a network communication protocol that enables two machines to communicate. Each SSH honeypot was compromised 26 times a day on average. The most attacked honeypot was compromised a total of 169 times in just a single day.
Meanwhile, one attacker compromised 96% of the 80 Postgres honeypots within a single 90-second period.
"The speed of vulnerability management is usually measured in days or months. The fact that attackers could find and compromise our honeypots in minutes was shocking. This research demonstrates the risk of insecurely exposed services," said Jay Chen, principal cloud security researcher at Palo Alto Networks.
Exposed or poorly configured cloud services like those deployed in the honeypot make tempting targets for cyber criminals of all kinds.
Several notoriousransomwareoperations are known toexploit exposed cloud servicesto gain initial access to the victim's network in order to eventually encrypt as much as possible and demand a multi-million dollar ransom in exchange for the decryption key.
Meanwhile,nation state-backed hacking groups are also known to target vulnerabilities in cloud servicesas stealthy means of entering networks in order to conduct espionage, steal data, or deploy malware without detection.
SEE:A winning strategy for cybersecurity(ZDNet special report)
And as the research demonstrates, it doesn't take long for cyber criminals to find exposed internet-facing systems.
"When a vulnerable service is exposed to the internet, opportunistic attackers can find and attack it in just a few minutes. As most of these internet-facing services are connected to some other cloud workloads, any breached service can potentially lead to the compromise of the entire cloud environment," said Chen.
When it comes to securing accounts used to access cloud services, organisations should avoid using default passwords and users should be provided withmulti-factor authenticationto create an extra barrier to prevent leaked credentials being exploited.
It's also vital for organisations to apply security patches when they're available in order to prevent cyber criminals from taking advantage of known exploits --and it's a strategy that applies to cloud applications, too.
"The outcome [of the research] reiterates the importance of mitigating and patching security issues quickly. When a misconfigured or vulnerable service is exposed to the internet, it takes attackers just a few minutes to discover and compromise the service. There is no margin of error when it comes to the timing of security fixes," said Chen.
- Blackline Safety : What is the cloud and why should businesses care about cloud-connected safety? - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- DataHEALTH, Inc. Begins Notification of Cybersecurity Incident - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2022
- Data Centers Must Rethink Interconnection in Order to Evolve - Data Center Frontier - January 22nd, 2022
- Onlive Server Launched Canada VPS Hosting with Upto 48 CPU CORE and Cloud VPS Control Panel - Digital Journal - January 22nd, 2022
- Gartner: IT spending forecast points to skills rebalance - ComputerWeekly.com - January 22nd, 2022
- IBM is selling off its Watson Health assets - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News - January 22nd, 2022
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Focusing on Trends and Innovations during the Period 2021 to 2027 Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 22nd, 2022
- Why COVIDtests.gov worked where HealthCare.gov stumbled - FedScoop - January 22nd, 2022
- VTEX : 5 benefits of SaaS and a cloud commerce ecosystem - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Ford and ADT team up to prevent theft from vehicles - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2022
- Patent Awarded to Nanoprecise Sci Corp for its Automated Predictive Maintenance Solution - PR Newswire India - January 22nd, 2022
- Recent Analysis on Cloud Hosting Service Market 2022-2028 Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy LSMedia - LSMedia - January 22nd, 2022
- Google Project Iris AR Headset in the Works, May Feature In-House Processor: Report - Gadgets 360 - January 22nd, 2022
- Cyber Security in 2022: What Should You Know? - GISuser.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Cellular connectivity: the final piece of the IoT puzzle - ITProPortal - January 22nd, 2022
- The opportunities and challenges of data center industry in 2022 - Analytics India Magazine - January 16th, 2022
- The rising threat of cyber criminals targeting cloud infrastructure in 2022 - Help Net Security - January 16th, 2022
- Strata Identity Hosts Complimentary Webinar Featuring ESG Analyst on Identity and Policy Management for Multi-Cloud in 2022 - Business Wire - January 16th, 2022
- ISG to Conduct Study on Private and Hybrid Cloud Providers - StreetInsider.com - January 16th, 2022
- Strengthening the availability chain - ITProPortal - January 16th, 2022
- NordVPN launches open source VPN speed testing tool - IT PRO - January 16th, 2022
- Emby vs Plex: Which media server is right for you? - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 16th, 2022
- Nutanix Rajiv Ramaswami On His First Year As CEO - Forbes - January 16th, 2022
- ThycoticCentrify adds new security controls and automation to Secret Server - SecurityBrief Asia - January 16th, 2022
- PCIe 6.0 is here with double the bandwidth at 128Gbps - comments - GSMArena.com - January 16th, 2022
- 'Our servers are secure' -- NIMC responds as hacker claims he gained access to NIN database - TheCable - January 16th, 2022
- How this Mumbai startup is carving a niche for itself in the crowded ecommerce delivery space - YourStory - January 16th, 2022
- What begins with a 'B' and is having problems at tsoHost? Hopefully not your website - The Register - January 12th, 2022
- Sensory Extends Voice and Visual AI Platform to the Cloud - Voicebot.ai - January 12th, 2022
- How these 3 Companies Leverage the Hybrid Cloud - TechGenix - January 12th, 2022
- Multi-cloud security doesn't have to be complicated, just consistent - IT-Online - January 12th, 2022
- Podcast: why the future of data management sits in the cloud - Central Banking - January 12th, 2022
- Streaming Analytics Market worth $50.1 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2022
- Growing Technical Advancements in DevOps Technologies and Their Rising Demand for Optimizing Business Operations to Drive the Global DevOps Market by... - January 12th, 2022
- Data Center Market to Grow by USD 519.34 Bn | Adoption of Multi-cloud and Network Upgrades to Support 5G will Drive Growth | Technavio - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2022
- From 1920s to 2020s: Get ready for a new Roaring Twenties - Big Think - January 12th, 2022
- Post Pandemic: Cloud Adoption Needs to Be Accelerated - APN News - January 12th, 2022
- 2 Growth Stocks That Could Double Your Money in 5 Years - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2022
- Dispelling the top five myths of modern infrastructure - ComputerWeekly.com - January 12th, 2022
- The Future of Records & Compliance With Optimere CEO ICYMI - Government Technology - January 12th, 2022
- Why Banks Are Slow to Embrace Cloud Computing - The New York Times - January 4th, 2022
- How I fell into the self-hosting rabbit hole in 2021 - Windows Central - January 4th, 2022
- The future of web hosting: 5 things to look out for in 2022 - TechRadar - January 4th, 2022
- New Connectivity Is Bringing Roads Up to Speed - Wired.co.uk - January 4th, 2022
- Healthcare for the new normal world reimagined with digital analytics at the core - ETHealthworld.com - January 4th, 2022
- Opinion: White Renegade of the Year 2021 Gregory Hood - Prescott eNews - January 4th, 2022
- Best of 2021 Why Kubernetes is the King of Containerized Tools - Container Journal - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud and Edge Computing Will Be Key for Government Agencies in 2022 - StateTech Magazine - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021: Industry Size, Regions, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Opportunities, and Forecast By 2027 mainlander.nz -... - December 27th, 2021
- iOS 15.2 Makes it Easier to Replace the Screen on the iPhone 13 - iDrop News - December 27th, 2021
- 4-Year-Old Bug in Azure App Service Exposed Hundreds of Source Code Repositories - The Hacker News - December 27th, 2021
- Top 5 Best Free Linux Cloud Servers  - December 22nd, 2021
- phoenixNAP and MemVerge to Enable Memory Virtualization in Bare Metal Cloud - HPCwire - December 22nd, 2021
- AWS outages and cloud computing, explained - Popular Science - December 22nd, 2021
- How the Cloud Helps With Medical Research and Remote Medicine - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2021
- Contributed | The role of the Cloud in digital transformation - DIGIT.FYI - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021 is Expected to be on Course to Achieve Considerable Growth to 2027 mainlander.nz - mainlander.nz - December 22nd, 2021
- How Tripwire Can Be a Partner on Your Zero Trust Journey - tripwire.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Top Cloud Computing Trends Shaping Our IT Landscape in 2022 - CRN - India - CRN.in - December 22nd, 2021
- Medelln Campus writes the future of worldwide industrial automation - Intelligent CIO ME - December 22nd, 2021
- How Kubernetes lowers costs and automates IT department work - The Register - December 22nd, 2021
- 3 Top Trends to Invest in for 2022 (and Beyond) - Motley Fool - December 22nd, 2021
- What Agencies Need to Do to Combat Shadow IT Driven by Cloud Sprawl - Nextgov - December 12th, 2021
- Nvidia CEO Huang jointly files patent for software tech in the metaverse - The Register - December 12th, 2021
- Truly thrifty cloud hosting - Hetzner Online GmbH - December 5th, 2021
- What Is The Cloud And Where Is It Used? - Fossbytes - December 5th, 2021
- JetBrains starts adding remote dev functionality on IDEs and introduces Fleet - ZDNet - December 5th, 2021
- Your iPhones best trick is tucked away inside Photos app do you know it?... - The Sun - December 5th, 2021
- Tech Investment Alert: Check Out Top Five Tech Stocks Today - Analytics Insight - December 5th, 2021
- Tencent Cloud and AMD Join Forces to Launch StarLake Servers in Southeast Asia - HPCwire - December 3rd, 2021
- A Climate Dystopia Displayed at the UMOCA with 'the weight of a cloud' - Daily Utah Chronicle - December 3rd, 2021
- AWS Announced General Availability of Elastic Disaster Recovery - InfoQ.com - December 3rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Using a Share File Server in Education - eLearningInside News - eLearningInside News - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 questions for Mark Mills on the cloud revolution - Washington Examiner - December 3rd, 2021
- Inspur Information Impresses in AI Performance with 7 Titles in MLPerf Training v1.1 - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- How Secure Is iMessage? | Leaked FBI Document Reveals the Truth - iDrop News - December 3rd, 2021
- Netweb Technologies Bags Award from MeitY in Contribution to the Manufacturing Sector - News Nation - December 3rd, 2021
- FTC is Suing NVIDIA to Stop Its $40B Acquisition of Arm Amidst Concerns of Potential Reliance from Rival Firms Should Deal Push Through - Tech Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Securing the edge server infrastructure from the ground up - The Register - December 3rd, 2021
- VPS Hosting | Free SSD VPS Server Trial | Windows VPS ... - November 22nd, 2021