Antivirus programs are vital to protect your PC, laptop, and your other devices from any harmful spyware, malware, ransomware, and adware. Both domestic users and companies alike are beginning to understand the importance of cybersecurity and taking steps to address potential threats.
Yet, when it comes to choosing antivirus software, it can be difficult to decide between traditional options or the latest cloud-based solutions. So cloud antivirus vs traditional antivirus programs how do you determine which is the best choice?
Traditional Antivirus Solutions The Issues
Antivirus programs scan files and check them against a virus database. If it finds a program or file matching a definition in its database, it removes it from the device. However, as there are millions of virus definitions out there against which files must be compared, its easy to see why this can pose problems to developers of traditional AV software.
While developers want antivirus software to be as easy as possible on computers, the amount of activity during a scan means that all-too-often, they become so slow that, during a scan, they may even be unusable. Yet, antivirus software must have as many up-to-date virus definitions as possible to provide optimal service. Without this, countless new viruses popping up each day can enter and attack the computer system, making the software useless.
Cloud Antivirus Solutions Solving The Problems?
Cloud antivirus programs have been designed to solve this exact problem. Cloud solutions keep all of the virus definitions on the providers server. Since the millions of comparisons arent being made on the computer itself, there is less impact on the devices performance during scans. This means its possible to carry on working with no unwanted interruptions.
Even better, cloud antivirus software always remains up-to-date as the provider takes care of all of the definition updates on the users behalf. This means there is no need for the user to check for updates.
Are There Any Downsides To Cloud AV Solutions?
One of the biggest issues with a cloud-based antivirus solution is that to obtain complete real-time protection the user has to have a working internet connection. If the device isnt online, any running programs or open files arent being checked against the most up-to-date antivirus definition database.
One further issue is that, since everything is carried out via the internet, whole files usually arent being sent by the device to the antivirus software to be scanned. Rather, only some of the file information is sent to the software to be evaluated. If something suspicious shows up that is inconclusive, the entire file may then be flagged up and sent for full scanning.
Are There Any Solutions For Cloud AV Issues?
Although a device isnt entirely protected by a cloud AV application while not online, it is still safer offline as risks are limited. Also, since the majority of cloud antivirus programs will keep some data on the device, the programs run regularly will usually be safe.
Cloud-based software also uses several methods to protect your systems and computer such as behavior monitoring. This method checks how files act to ensure theyre safe. When those behaviors are spotted, the software will block the program or file and notify the user, allowing the malware to be removed safely. Behavior monitoring will check for files that modify hosts files, send large numbers of emails in short time frames, change auto-run registry keys or generate executable programs.
Why Opt For A Cloud-Based Antivirus Solution?
Since the antivirus providers server has many users connected to it at the same time, instant protection can be obtained from new viruses affecting the devices of the other users. This is possible as, when a malicious program or file is spotted anywhere, updated definitions enter the primary system, giving immediate protection from the new threat.
These days, cloud solutions have begun to be incorporated into the more traditional antivirus software solutions, so its likely that soon, all AV software will be found in the cloud. Even better, cloud-based software is more affordable and can help to save time since theres no need to regularly carry out device scans or update and maintain traditional AV software. With these advantages in mind, its easy to see why cloud-based antivirus programs are overtaking the more traditional options.
Read the original post:
Traditional or Cloud Antivirus Solutions Which is Best? - PC Tech Magazine
- EDA moves to the cloud - eeNews Europe - December 29th, 2020
- One Option You Shouldnt Overlook When Setting Up a Security Camera - The New York Times - December 29th, 2020
- This is the best Google Cloud Print alternative - Android Police - December 29th, 2020
- Finding the balance between edge AI vs. cloud AI - TechTarget - December 29th, 2020
- Cybercriminals to focus on remote and cloud-based systems in UAE next year - Gulf Business - December 29th, 2020
- Top 10 Hyperconverged Infrastructure (HCI) Solutions - Datamation - December 29th, 2020
- The Diminishing Role of Operating Systems | IT Pro - ITPro Today - December 29th, 2020
- Building a Better U.S. Approach to TikTok and Beyond - Lawfare - December 29th, 2020
- Legacy IT: The hidden problem of digital transformation - SC Magazine - December 29th, 2020
- TGen Leverages phoenixNAP's Hardware-as-a-Service Powered by Intel to Empower COVID-19 Research - PR Web - December 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Server Market Share, Competition Analysis, COVID-19 Impact Analysis & Projected Recovery, and Market Sizing & Forecast to 2026 -... - December 29th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2025, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2025 - Farming Sector - December 29th, 2020
- 4 reasons your business needs to switch to cloud servers - TechEngage - December 19th, 2020
- Microsoft is designing its own ARM-based processor for Surface and cloud servers - Digital Trends - December 19th, 2020
- Dedicated server or cloud server: which one to choose? - Business MattersBusiness Matters - December 19th, 2020
- Cybersecurity expert: After Russian hack, common security tools, including cloud-based multi-factor systems, shown to be less effective in preventing... - December 19th, 2020
- Remote and cloud-based systems to be ruthlessly targeted next year - Help Net Security - December 19th, 2020
- The ROI of Cloud-Based Email - TechDecisions - December 19th, 2020
- The Advantages of Running your ERP Off-Premise During the COVID-19 Era - BBN Times - December 19th, 2020
- The balkanization of the cloud is bad for everyone - MIT Technology Review - December 19th, 2020
- When Is a Good Time For SMBs To Move Their IT Infrastructure To the Cloud? - Entrepreneur - December 19th, 2020
- AWS reveals array of new cloud observability and other new tools at re:Invent - SiliconANGLE News - December 19th, 2020
- TaxBandits Offers Cloud Based Solution For E-filing Forms W-2, 1099, 94x Series, and ACA 1095 for 2020 Tax Year. - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - December 19th, 2020
- Programmable NICs Will Empower the Future of the Network - CEOWORLD magazine - December 19th, 2020
- Amazon's weird Halo band is now available if you want to pay $4/month for fitness tracking - Android Police - December 19th, 2020
- Microsoft Says Its Systems Were Exposed to SolarWinds Hack - Data Center Knowledge - December 19th, 2020
- Holiday-proof your Business with Cloud Solutions - The Edge Markets MY - December 19th, 2020
- Gurucul Cloud-native Analytics-driven XDR Platform Sets New Standard for Real-Time Threat Detection and Incident Response - Business Wire - December 19th, 2020
- Run Kubernetes at the edge with these K8s distributions - TechTarget - December 19th, 2020
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing the Unorganized Parking Sector in India and the Road Ahead - News18 - December 19th, 2020
- Cloud Server: The advantages and why Kronos Cloud is worth trying - Programming Insider - December 6th, 2020
- Amazon details cause of AWS outage that hobbled thousands of online sites and services - GeekWire - December 6th, 2020
- Can we really trust the Cloud with our data? - The Next Web - December 6th, 2020
- An Introduction to Cloud Computing | Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Blog - EC-Council Blog - December 6th, 2020
- Google Cloud Will Not Be Able To Overtake Microsoft Azure - Forbes - December 6th, 2020
- Google builds out Cloud with Actifio acquisition Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - December 6th, 2020
- 5 advantages of a cloud disaster recovery plan - BAI Banking Strategies - December 6th, 2020
- Your Digital Transformation Will Be as Successful as the Foundation Its Built On - CMSWire - December 6th, 2020
- Kubernetes: What You Need To Know - Forbes - December 6th, 2020
- 3 cloud computing trends to watch in 2021 - TechHQ - December 6th, 2020
- Amazon Web Service Explains Its Major OutageAnd Other Small Business Tech News - Forbes - December 6th, 2020
- How AWS is computing the future of the cloud - SiliconANGLE News - December 6th, 2020
- ONF Announces Aether 5G Connected Edge Cloud Platform Being Used as the Software Platform for Pronto Project - sUAS News - December 6th, 2020
- International health IT week in review: December 6 - Pulse+IT - December 6th, 2020
- Lenovo boosts low end all-flash array with end-to-end NVMe - Blocks and Files - December 6th, 2020
- Bull of the Day: Baidu (BIDU) - Yahoo Finance - December 6th, 2020
- A re:Invent like no other shows an AWS capitalizing on 2020 chaos - Diginomica - December 6th, 2020
- The Mystery Behind the Aarogya Setu App - TheLeaflet - The Leaflet - December 6th, 2020
- People Cant Vacuum Or Use Their Doorbell Because Amazons Cloud Servers Are Down - Gizmodo Australia - November 26th, 2020
- Inside Innovation: 'In the cloud we trust' doesn't hack it for ransomware protection - Daily Commercial News - November 26th, 2020
- Will edge computing become the new cloud in 2021? - TechRepublic - November 26th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market ? What Factors Will Drive The Market In Upcoming Years And How It Is Going To Impact On Global Industry | (2020-2026) - The... - November 26th, 2020
- IP surveillance: The storage it needs, on-premise and in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - November 26th, 2020
- Does AD CS Work in the Cloud? - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2020
- SKT Unveils its AI Chip and New Plans for AI Semiconductor Business - HPCwire - November 26th, 2020
- Calculating the Total Cost of Hybrid Cloud - Data Center Knowledge - November 26th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report: Overview With Geographical Segmentation By Revenue With Forecast 2026 - Cheshire Media - November 26th, 2020
- Cryptomining Worm Uses Third-Party Software to Target Cloud - Security Intelligence - November 26th, 2020
- SKT new AI chip changes the company's AI semiconductor bu... - evertiq.com - November 26th, 2020
- Should IT Support Always Be Handled In-House? Are There Other Options? - ABCmoney.co.uk - November 26th, 2020
- Home Automation System Market worth $63.2 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Global Managed Servers Industry Market Growth Graph To Demonstrate Inclination Towards Positive Axis By 2026 - The Courier - November 26th, 2020
- Everett Police will put body cameras on all its officers - Snohomish County Tribune - November 26th, 2020
- NetRange moves browser to the cloud in new smart TV range - Broadband TV News - November 26th, 2020
- Hackers steal and save Spotify login information - Somag News - November 26th, 2020
- Three Reasons Why You Should Invest in Cloud-based Email - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - November 4th, 2020
- No way to go but up as cloud solutions shape the future of business - CNN Philippines - November 4th, 2020
- The global cyber insurance market is expected to reach a value of $70,671.9 million by 2030, from $5,573.2 million in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2020
- Moving to cloud-native applications and data with Kubernetes and Apache Cassandra - JAXenter - November 4th, 2020
- How Digital Twins Accelerate the Growth of IoT - IoT For All - November 4th, 2020
- Bluebeam expands its global Studio data infrastructure - Planning, BIM & Construction Today - November 4th, 2020
- The journey to a cloud BSS - Ericsson - November 4th, 2020
- Edge computing strategies will determine the next cloud frontier - TechTarget - November 4th, 2020
- How do we protect the hybrid workplace? - TechHQ - November 4th, 2020
- Evolution of File Sharing and its method - InfotechLead.com - November 4th, 2020
- Amazon: The Coming Graviton3 - Seeking Alpha - November 4th, 2020
- Windows Admin Center is Coming to the Azure Portal - Petri.com - November 4th, 2020
- Sophos Uncovers Attackers Targeting Non-Governmental Organizations in Myanmar With New 'KilllSomeOne' Backdoor - GlobeNewswire - November 4th, 2020
- IBM Delivered An RDi Update, Too - IT Jungle - November 4th, 2020