Nearly a year after signing a landmark deal to bring its software-defined data center technology to the Amazon Web Services Inc. cloud, VMware Inc. kicked off its VMworld conference in Las Vegas today with the news that VMware Cloud on AWS is now generally available.
The service essentially enables the vast majority of companies that use VMware inside their data centers to use VMware software, which allowsdifferent operating systems and multiple applications to run on the same physical computer,with AWS services as well.
To date, companies have had difficulty moving workloads to Amazons cloud to take advantage of the clouds more flexible and lower-cost computing and storage services because many of their applications depended on VMware software that only ran on computers in company data centers. That presented customers of each provider with a tough choice: Use VMware technology it built its core applications on, but with none of the cost and flexibility of cloud computing, or use Amazons cloud, but not with the VMware software their data centers are built on.
They hated this binary decision that we were forcing on them, AWS Chief Executive Andy Jassy (pictured, right) said during an appearance this morning at VMworld with VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger (left). Now, the executives said, customers can more easily use so-called hybrid cloud services that use both on-premises software and hardware and cloud services as needed.
If this fully works, CIOs have no excuse in regard to moving VMWare loads to the cloud, said Holger Mueller, vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research. But lets see if this works.
VMware, part of Dell Technologies Inc.s constellation of companies that also includes storage supplier Dell EMC, also announced a raft of services for the VMware Cloud today. Initially, VMware Cloud is available in the AWS U.S. West region, but other regions will be added throughout 2018.VMware said the integration will enable customers to run applications across operationally consistent vSphere-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments with the option of expanding to AWS elastic or bare-metal infrastructure.
When the AWS-VMware deal was announced last October, it was apparent that it could reset the competitive environment in computing, in particular presenting new challenges for IBM Corp., which had signed a deal with VMware earlier in 2016, Google Inc.s cloud platform and Microsoft Corp., whose No. 2-ranked Azure public cloud had claimed the lead in hybrid cloud computing.
The arrangement with AWS offers some benefits for VMware, including a connection to the leading public cloud provider that its customers have been clamoring for. When your own cloud fails, you need to join the ones that work, Mueller told SiliconANGLE. VMware now focuses on add-on software, such as application security.
But it also means AWS could steal some of VMwares customers ultimately, if it results in what Dave Vellante, chief analyst at SiliconANGLE Medias Wikibon, has called a potential one-way trip to Amazon cloudville.' Moreover, said Mueller, the arrangement doesnt help Dell sell more servers into an on-premises data center.
As for Amazon, Mueller said, AWS needs a piece of the on-premises enterprise load and this is the way. He added that the fact that AWS is offering to host VMware instances on so-called bare-metal servers, those with no operating software installed on them, indicates how much it needs VMwares help to reach large enterprise customers, since AWS had generally eschewed bare-metal arrangements.
The offering will be delivered, sold and supported by VMware as an on-demand service. Its powered by VMware Cloud Foundation, a software-defined data center platform that includes vSphere, VMware VSAN and VMware NSX virtualization technologies managed by VMware vCenter. The initial set of cloud services includes six modules:
Discovery centralizes inventory information and cloud accounts across AWS, Microsoft Azure and VMware clouds, making it easier for information technology departments to search for and identify workloads. Administrators can group cloud resources even if they span multiple clouds. Built-in search and filters enables administrators to filter resources based upon cloud attributes.
AppDefense protects applications by embedding application control and threat detection and response capabilities into vSphere-based environments. Its tightly integrated with the NSX networking platform, and operates within the vSphere hypervisor to create a knowledge base of the correct state and behavior of each endpoint for change detection.
Cost Insight helps organizations analyze their cloud spending and identify savings opportunities. It provides detailed visibility into public and private cloud costs on AWS, Azure and VMware environments and enables drill-down to identify cost drivers. Cost Insight also identifies stopped virtual machines and associated storage resources across public and private clouds to reduce waste.
Network Insight analyzes application traffic flows between different tiers, virtual and physical network layers and public and private clouds. This has application security and load balancing applications, and makes it easier for cloud administrators to manage and troubleshoot large-scale NSX deployments.
NSX Cloud provides a single management console and common application program interface for monitoring and securing applications that span multiple private and public clouds. It features a micro-segmentation security policy that can be defined once and applied to application workloads running anywhere.
Wavefront is a metrics monitoring and analytics platform that gives developers insight into the performance of highly-distributed cloud-native services to detect performance anomalies while enabling high availability. Operating on what VMware said is a massive scale, Wavefront gives DevOps teams instant visualization of millions of data points per second. This helps resolve bottlenecks more efficiently and proactively.
VMware also said its expanding Cloud Foundations scope with new partner offerings. They include support from CenturyLink Inc., Rackspace Inc. and Fujitsu Ltd. New hardware platforms that support Cloud Foundation include Dell EMCs VxRack SDDC, Hitachi Data Systems Corp.s UCP-RS, Fujitsu Primeflex and Quanta Cloud Technology LLCs QxStack.
VMwares shares closed up nearly 2 percent today, to about $104.68 a share, on a relatively flat day for the overall market.
With reporting from Robert Hof
(* Disclosure: SiliconANGLE Medias video unit, theCUBE, is a paid media partner at VMworld. Stories on SiliconANGLE are written independently of coverage on theCUBE. Sponsors have no editorial influence on content on SiliconANGLE or theCUBE.)
- What is cloud services? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 3rd, 2019
- What is cloud server? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 3rd, 2019
- UpCloud: World's fastest cloud servers - October 3rd, 2019
- What is a Public Cloud? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 1st, 2019
- Cloud Server - what is and how does it work? | Probrand - September 22nd, 2019
- Best cloud storage service - Consumer Reports - September 22nd, 2019
- Linux Cloud Servers- instantly flexible - May 18th, 2019
- Pricing - Cloud Services | Microsoft Azure - May 13th, 2019
- Hybrid Cloud Security: Simplify Complex ... - Trend Micro - April 28th, 2019
- Best cloud computing services of 2019 | TechRadar - April 8th, 2019
- Hackers Backdoor Cloud Servers to Attack Future Customers - March 29th, 2019
- Cloud vs. In-House Servers: What is the Best Choice ... - January 4th, 2019
- Cloud Services | Design In The Cloud | Autodesk - December 15th, 2018
- Brinkster Cloud Servers - VMware, SolidFire SSD-Based ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Virtual Network Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure - March 29th, 2018
- Keeping Your Files Safe in Google's Cloud - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 5 Reasons SD-WAN, 4G LTE Are Cloud Essentials - No Jitter - September 7th, 2017
- Canon USA Advances PRISMAsync Color Print Server in Version 5.2, Offering Cloud-Based PRISMAlytics Dashboard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - September 7th, 2017
- HPE Reports Q3 Gains Along With Cloud Deal - EnterpriseTech - September 6th, 2017
- Huawei Releases the New-Generation Intelligent Cloud Hardware Platform Atlas - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Unlocking the promise of a connected world through edge cloud ... - ITProPortal - September 5th, 2017
- Want to do IoT right? You'll need more storage, networking, servers, and cloud - TechRepublic - September 5th, 2017
- So you're already in the cloud but need to come back down to Earth - The Register - September 5th, 2017
- Nasa: Our demands for repeat presidential election - Daily Nation - September 5th, 2017
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi open to moving servers to India - Economic Times - September 5th, 2017
- VMware-on-AWS is live, and Virtzilla is now a proper SaaS player - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Socionext Partners with Advantech to Offer High-Density, Low-Cost ... - Design and Reuse (press release) - September 2nd, 2017
- Municipal adoption of the cloud - American City & County (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Veeam follows Virtzilla's cloud up the Amazon - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Where does a business's data live? - Information Age - August 31st, 2017
- IBM cooks up a hardware architecture for tastier cloud-based services - TechTarget - August 31st, 2017
- Tachyum bets on flash storage to re-architect the cloud data center - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Juniper adding microsegmentation to Contrail cloud - TechTarget - August 29th, 2017
- The future of serverless cloud looks a lot like physical servers - TechRepublic - August 29th, 2017
- Demand for server specialists increases, but talent pool is small - Network World - August 29th, 2017
- The pros and cons of cloud vs in house servers - Edmonton - August 28th, 2017
- You Can Now Spin Up VMware Servers in Amazon Data Centers - Data Center Knowledge - August 28th, 2017
- Windows Server 2016 changes prompt a new look at management - TechTarget - August 28th, 2017
- Cloud security market to reach $12B by 2024, driven by rise of cyber attacks - TechRepublic - August 28th, 2017
- Jeff Pulver, Internet Pioneer of VoIP and Entrepreneur Joins ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Google Aims to Boost Cloud Security with Titan Chipset - BizTech Magazine - August 28th, 2017
- Oppo and Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India, following India's new directives on data security - Firstpost - August 28th, 2017
- Digital Deluge on the Cloud - Valley News - August 27th, 2017
- How Can You Improve Document Management By Integrating Cloud-Based File Sharing And What You Need To Know ... - Business 2 Community - August 27th, 2017
- Hitachi rack servers get VMware Cloud treatment The Register - The Register - August 26th, 2017
- CenturyLink enhances VMware-based DCC platform, touts software-defined data center approach - FierceTelecom - August 26th, 2017
- Biz sends apps to public cloud, waves 'bye to on-premises server ... - The Register - August 23rd, 2017
- Druva Raises Another $80 Million - Channel Partners - August 23rd, 2017
- CrashPlan alternatives: How to move to another home backup solution - Macworld - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- AMD Lines Up New China Datacenter Partners - EnterpriseTech - August 23rd, 2017
- How do you bring artificial intelligence from the cloud to the edge? - TNW - August 21st, 2017
- The rice of cloud, avocado of virtualization and salmon of doubt: Let's eat storage sushi - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- 70% of firms face skill shortages for server-based roles - Cloud Pro - August 21st, 2017
- Qualcomm moved its Snapdragon designers to its ARM server chip. We peek at the results - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- Info on 1.8 million Chicago voters exposed on Amazon server - USA TODAY - August 21st, 2017
- Microsoft and Google Give Startups Options to Amazon's Cloud - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Cloud is the ignored dimension of security: Cisco - ZDNet - August 18th, 2017
- How AIG moved commercial claims to the cloud - Information Management - August 18th, 2017
- Oracle expands database offering to its cloud services - Network World - August 16th, 2017
- Voices Cloud security from all angles - Accounting Today - August 16th, 2017
- HostHatch launches new Cloud Servers - 5x faster than the giants, including AWS & DigitalOcean - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Oracle Exadata Cloud lands on bare-metal servers - Computer Business Review - August 15th, 2017
- School phones go on 'the cloud' - The Ridgefield Press - August 15th, 2017
- Datrium Announces Split Provisioning For Simple Private Cloud Consolidation At Rackscale - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- New McAfee virtual network security platform offered as part of free test drive on Amazon Web Services - CTR - August 14th, 2017
- How to move into a cloud career from traditional IT - InfoWorld - August 14th, 2017
- Oracle Makes the Most Powerful Database Platform Available on the Industry's Most Advanced Cloud Infrastructure - PR Newswire (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many ... - Markets Insider - August 13th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many Entrepreneurs - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have pulled one of Nvidia's most sluggish businesses out of the gutter - Quartz - August 11th, 2017
- GoDaddy tops Q2 targets, revenue up 22 percent - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- Hardware Can Still Make or Break the Cloud - IT Business Edge (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Serverless Architectures from an MSP's Point of View - MSPmentor - August 4th, 2017
- Unisecure Data Centers Offers 15% Discount On Cloud Server Hosting Services - HostReview.com (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- How The Cloud Will Disrupt The Ad Tech Stack - AdExchanger - August 2nd, 2017
- Packet launches edge compute service in 15 global locations - RCR Wireless News - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM adds Optane to its cloud, only as storage and without GPUs - The Register - August 2nd, 2017
- Joining Apple, Amazon's China Cloud Service Bows to Censors - New York Times - August 1st, 2017
- Cisco Launches New UCS Servers, Hybrid Cloud Management ... - SDxCentral - July 12th, 2017