Nearly a year after signing a landmark deal to bring its software-defined data center technology to the Amazon Web Services Inc. cloud, VMware Inc. kicked off its VMworld conference in Las Vegas today with the news that VMware Cloud on AWS is now generally available.
The service essentially enables the vast majority of companies that use VMware inside their data centers to use VMware software, which allowsdifferent operating systems and multiple applications to run on the same physical computer,with AWS services as well.
To date, companies have had difficulty moving workloads to Amazons cloud to take advantage of the clouds more flexible and lower-cost computing and storage services because many of their applications depended on VMware software that only ran on computers in company data centers. That presented customers of each provider with a tough choice: Use VMware technology it built its core applications on, but with none of the cost and flexibility of cloud computing, or use Amazons cloud, but not with the VMware software their data centers are built on.
They hated this binary decision that we were forcing on them, AWS Chief Executive Andy Jassy (pictured, right) said during an appearance this morning at VMworld with VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger (left). Now, the executives said, customers can more easily use so-called hybrid cloud services that use both on-premises software and hardware and cloud services as needed.
If this fully works, CIOs have no excuse in regard to moving VMWare loads to the cloud, said Holger Mueller, vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research. But lets see if this works.
VMware, part of Dell Technologies Inc.s constellation of companies that also includes storage supplier Dell EMC, also announced a raft of services for the VMware Cloud today. Initially, VMware Cloud is available in the AWS U.S. West region, but other regions will be added throughout 2018.VMware said the integration will enable customers to run applications across operationally consistent vSphere-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments with the option of expanding to AWS elastic or bare-metal infrastructure.
When the AWS-VMware deal was announced last October, it was apparent that it could reset the competitive environment in computing, in particular presenting new challenges for IBM Corp., which had signed a deal with VMware earlier in 2016, Google Inc.s cloud platform and Microsoft Corp., whose No. 2-ranked Azure public cloud had claimed the lead in hybrid cloud computing.
The arrangement with AWS offers some benefits for VMware, including a connection to the leading public cloud provider that its customers have been clamoring for. When your own cloud fails, you need to join the ones that work, Mueller told SiliconANGLE. VMware now focuses on add-on software, such as application security.
But it also means AWS could steal some of VMwares customers ultimately, if it results in what Dave Vellante, chief analyst at SiliconANGLE Medias Wikibon, has called a potential one-way trip to Amazon cloudville.' Moreover, said Mueller, the arrangement doesnt help Dell sell more servers into an on-premises data center.
As for Amazon, Mueller said, AWS needs a piece of the on-premises enterprise load and this is the way. He added that the fact that AWS is offering to host VMware instances on so-called bare-metal servers, those with no operating software installed on them, indicates how much it needs VMwares help to reach large enterprise customers, since AWS had generally eschewed bare-metal arrangements.
The offering will be delivered, sold and supported by VMware as an on-demand service. Its powered by VMware Cloud Foundation, a software-defined data center platform that includes vSphere, VMware VSAN and VMware NSX virtualization technologies managed by VMware vCenter. The initial set of cloud services includes six modules:
Discovery centralizes inventory information and cloud accounts across AWS, Microsoft Azure and VMware clouds, making it easier for information technology departments to search for and identify workloads. Administrators can group cloud resources even if they span multiple clouds. Built-in search and filters enables administrators to filter resources based upon cloud attributes.
AppDefense protects applications by embedding application control and threat detection and response capabilities into vSphere-based environments. Its tightly integrated with the NSX networking platform, and operates within the vSphere hypervisor to create a knowledge base of the correct state and behavior of each endpoint for change detection.
Cost Insight helps organizations analyze their cloud spending and identify savings opportunities. It provides detailed visibility into public and private cloud costs on AWS, Azure and VMware environments and enables drill-down to identify cost drivers. Cost Insight also identifies stopped virtual machines and associated storage resources across public and private clouds to reduce waste.
Network Insight analyzes application traffic flows between different tiers, virtual and physical network layers and public and private clouds. This has application security and load balancing applications, and makes it easier for cloud administrators to manage and troubleshoot large-scale NSX deployments.
NSX Cloud provides a single management console and common application program interface for monitoring and securing applications that span multiple private and public clouds. It features a micro-segmentation security policy that can be defined once and applied to application workloads running anywhere.
Wavefront is a metrics monitoring and analytics platform that gives developers insight into the performance of highly-distributed cloud-native services to detect performance anomalies while enabling high availability. Operating on what VMware said is a massive scale, Wavefront gives DevOps teams instant visualization of millions of data points per second. This helps resolve bottlenecks more efficiently and proactively.
VMware also said its expanding Cloud Foundations scope with new partner offerings. They include support from CenturyLink Inc., Rackspace Inc. and Fujitsu Ltd. New hardware platforms that support Cloud Foundation include Dell EMCs VxRack SDDC, Hitachi Data Systems Corp.s UCP-RS, Fujitsu Primeflex and Quanta Cloud Technology LLCs QxStack.
VMwares shares closed up nearly 2 percent today, to about $104.68 a share, on a relatively flat day for the overall market.
With reporting from Robert Hof
(* Disclosure: SiliconANGLE Medias video unit, theCUBE, is a paid media partner at VMworld. Stories on SiliconANGLE are written independently of coverage on theCUBE. Sponsors have no editorial influence on content on SiliconANGLE or theCUBE.)
- Unlocking the Key to the Cloud - Security Boulevard - January 23rd, 2020
- What is the difference between SaaS and Cloud Computing - WhaTech - January 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Database and Database as a Service (DBaaS) Market Analysis on Top Key Vendors, Revenue Growth and Business Development Forecast 2017-2025 -... - January 23rd, 2020
- Helsinki-based UpCloud raises 18 million to rapidly grow its team and cloud computing services - Tech.eu - January 23rd, 2020
- Nextcloud Hub takes on Google Docs and Office 365 - ZDNet - January 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Run: What every IT Ops team should know - TechBeacon - January 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft's Nadella On Why The Future Is All About Cloud; Buyers Are Into TikTok's Self-Serve Ad Platform - AdExchanger - January 23rd, 2020
- Why Many Tech Companies are Turning to the Hybrid Cloud to Tackle Today's Business Challenges - Data Center Frontier - January 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud Server Market 2020 By Analysis -Worldwide Opportunities, Revenue, Production, Demand and Geographical Forecast To 2025 Dagoretti News -... - January 23rd, 2020
- The trillionaires club: How big data, cloud and AI are powering the tech economy - SiliconANGLE - January 23rd, 2020
- Nebulon gets less nebulous, aims to replace SAN and hyperconverged storage - Blocks and Files - January 23rd, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Server Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Competitive Analysis And Forecast 2020-2025 - Expedition 99 - Expedition 99 - January 23rd, 2020
- Experts discuss industry response to multicloud - IT Brief New Zealand - January 23rd, 2020
- Data Governance And Smart Cities Are Helping Improve Quality Of Life In Japan - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Benefits of Identity Management for Healthcare Businesses - Solutions Review - January 23rd, 2020
- How the cloud went from 0 to 100 in ten years - Express Computer - January 23rd, 2020
- Suspect Wanted in May Shooting Arrested in St. Cloud - WJON News - January 23rd, 2020
- Wyze data leak: Key takeaways from server mistake that exposed information from 2.4M customers - GeekWire - January 1st, 2020
- Conquering the Cyber Security Challenges of the Cloud - CPO Magazine - January 1st, 2020
- City of Cottonwood now a certified sustainable business | Sedona.Biz - The Internet Voice of Sedona and The Verde Valley - Sedona.biz - January 1st, 2020
- A restaurant server got a massive tip and it is helping to change her life - KFOR Oklahoma City - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Hopper Attacks Far More Extensive than First Thought - CloudWedge - January 1st, 2020
- 2019: The Year in Hyperscale - Data Center Frontier - January 1st, 2020
- Using the Windows Admin Center Azure services feature - TechTarget - January 1st, 2020
- Privacy scare leads Wyze to unpair all devices from Google Assistant and Alexa, you'll need to add them back (Update: Further responses) - Android... - January 1st, 2020
- 5 top tech predictions for 2020 and beyond - BusinessTech - January 1st, 2020
- Exposed databases are as bad as data breaches, and they're not going anywhere - CNET - December 28th, 2019
- From bookstore to cloud hosting: How Amazon 'took the lead' in the technology world - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Future Aspect Analysis and Current Trends by 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 28th, 2019
- Microsoft Stock Is Floating on a Cloud - Investorplace.com - December 28th, 2019
- How Important Is The Intelligent Cloud Segment To Microsofts Stock? - Forbes - December 28th, 2019
- Privacy scare leads Wyze to unpair all devices from Google Assistant and Alexa, you'll need to add them back - Android Police - December 28th, 2019
- To protect data and code in the age of hybrid cloud, you can always turn to Intel SGX - The Register - December 28th, 2019
- The silver lining in cloud for financial institutions - ITProPortal - December 28th, 2019
- Server Microprocessor Market Projected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR Of XX% Between 2017 2027 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Listen to the boomers - or cloud could make you go bust - ITProPortal - December 28th, 2019
- Dr. Max Welling on Federated Learning and Bayesian Thinking - Synced - December 28th, 2019
- 7 crackpot technologies that might transform IT - CIO East Africa - December 28th, 2019
- Over 750,000 Applications for Copies of US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- For Cloud-native App Security, Few Companies Have Embraced DevSecOps - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- Amping Up The Arm Server Roadmap - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Over 750,000 Applications for US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- AWS outperforms rivals in test of cloud capabilities - TechRepublic - December 14th, 2019
- Hyperscale operators accounted for a third of all data center spending in first three quarters of 2019 - FierceTelecom - December 14th, 2019
- IoT news of the week for Dec. 13, 2019 - Stacey on IoT - December 14th, 2019
- Data Sovereignty: The imperative for action - DatacenterDynamics - December 14th, 2019
- Google Transfer Service makes moving your data to the cloud easier than ever - ITProPortal - December 14th, 2019
- Why Middle East startups are choosing the cloud - Khaleej Times - December 14th, 2019
- The 10 Hottest New Business And Enterprise Servers Of 2019 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Pulseway Introduces the All New, Integrated Cloud Backup Solution - PR Web - December 14th, 2019
- Edge predictions for 2020: From SD-WAN and cloud interconnection to security - Small Business - December 14th, 2019
- Broadcom Launches Another Tomahawk Into The Datacenter - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Four Technologies That Are Changing The Way We Do Business - TechShout! - December 14th, 2019
- Meet the power players behind Microsoft's Azure cloud - Business Insider - December 8th, 2019
- Hyperscale Data Center Market - Global Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024: Adoption of Cloud-based Services and & Big Data Driving Hyperscale Data... - December 8th, 2019
- Inside Intel's billion-dollar transformation in the age of AI - Fast Company - December 8th, 2019
- Amazon's cloud business bombards the market with dozens of new features as it looks to preserve its lead - CNBC - December 8th, 2019
- What is Infrastructure-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about IaaS - TechRadar - December 8th, 2019
- Report: Growing HCI Space Boosted by Cloud, AI - Virtualization Review - December 8th, 2019
- 20 VPS providers to shut down on Monday, giving customers two days to save their data - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- How AWS Plans to Speed Up the Cloud - Toolbox - December 8th, 2019
- Finally: AWS Gives Servers A Real Shot In The Arm - The Next Platform - December 8th, 2019
- 5 Top Features of the Cloud that can Benefit Your Small Business - Atlanta Small Business Network - December 8th, 2019
- Once-Reticent Utilities Accelerating Move to the Cloud - Transmission & Distribution World - December 8th, 2019
- Ampere preps an 80-core Arm processor for the cloud - Network World - December 8th, 2019
- Cisco Down Two Execs As One Reportedly Jumps To John Chambers-Backed Pensando - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 8th, 2019
- Meet CIMON-2, a new and improved robotic AI astronaut - Astronomy Magazine - December 8th, 2019
- Qualcomms Snapdragon Tech Summit focuses on 5G AI chips and use cases - VentureBeat - December 8th, 2019
- Are All Russian Mobile Apps Really a Potential Counterintelligence Threat? This is What the Experts Say - Newsweek - December 8th, 2019
- Overcome these VMware Cloud on AWS migration challenges - TechTarget - December 8th, 2019
- Aptiv To Unveil Open Source Advanced Technology Architecture - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ichimoku Cloud Analysis BTC Price Prediction When To Buy Bitcoin? - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- FBI classifies FaceApp as counterintelligence threat, citing ties to Russian intelligence | TheHill - The Hill - December 2nd, 2019
- Tech co. with Glasgow office merges, rebrands - Delaware Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Gatsby Cloud and its Impact on the Headless CMS Space - CMSWire - December 2nd, 2019
- This Holiday Season, Give Your Data Center Manager the Gift of Clarity - Data Economy - December 2nd, 2019
- Unsecured Server with Private Data from Millions of SMS Messages Found Online - Security Boulevard - December 2nd, 2019
- Media Giant Meredith Corporation Selects Nasuni To Help Move Traditional On-Premises File Infrastructure To Amazon Web Services - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- Encapulsation means application migration is no longer the blocker to digital transformation - Business MattersBusiness Matters - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Server Market by 2023 Worldwide Growth Opportunities Recent Trends Forecast by Types and Application to 2023 - Space Market Research - December 2nd, 2019