Cloud accounting systems are cheaper, scalable and more advanced than most local and desktop alternatives. They help small businesses connect with their accountants in real time to collaborate on live documents. Accountants can process end of year adjustments in real time simply by accessing their clients online file. So given all these positives, why are accountants still slow to adopt cloud-based technology?
The answer may lie in increasing concerns around security. Recent data leaks and hacks have hit huge organizations like Yahoo, JP Morgan Chase and the European Central Bank. These high-profile incidents could be making accountants, possessors of incredibly sensitive client information, wary.
Irene Marullo, a CPA and partner at Babaian CPA Associates PLLC in New York City, says her firm has experienced quick wins in efficiency using cloud solutions, but it isnt ready to migrate all of its data to the cloud just yet. The firm is using mostly desktop-based software, though some of their clients have already transitioned to the cloud using programs offering cloud-hosted options such as QuickBooks.
So far, Babaians accountants have used the cloud to back up their files, replacing outdated backup tapes. The firm agree that this is a more secure, reliable and space-efficient method. Babaian also moved its staffs email into the cloud using Office 365. They no longer experience email outages around tax deadlines due to server overloading. Now, users at the firm have 24/7 email access from any device, anywhere.
If the cloud has worked this well so far, why doesnt Babaian migrate all its data?
Marullo said that the firm is constantly vigilant about security risks and that clients are reluctant to move their information into the cloud. The firm lets clients decide when to move their data to the cloud, which is one reason why a full-scale cloud adoption is not possible yet.
The IT perspective
Chris Cevallos is CEO of Point to Point Solutions, an IT consultancy in New York City that has many accounting and professional services firms as clients. He works closely with these firms to identify potential cyberthreats and implement solutions.
Cevallos said that the kinds of attacks accounting firms are vulnerable to are:
Always consider that youre under attack," he said.
The legal perspective
While legitimate, these concerns arent reason enough to forego cloud-based solutions. Justin Hectus, CIO and CISO of Keesal, Young & Logan, a law firm with accounting clients and a cybersecurity practice, thinks it surprising that people are still questioning the cloud in its entirety.
There is a misconception about cloud storage and a lack of certainty of where the data is and how its controlled, he said. Data is still on computers when its in the cloud the computers are just somewhere else rather than in your office. The basic concepts of security still apply.
Hectus added that the right cloud-based solutions present the possibility of an improved approach to data security compared with a company that stores its data in an on-site server room. Cloud solutions can provide better and up-to-date encryption, patching, and upgrades so accounting firms have the latest tools to protect them from hackers and security breaches.
For those businesses using on-site servers and legacy systems, Hectus said that this kind of patchwork approach can be riskier and more complex than centralizing on the cloud. There are more passwords to manage and more out-of-step or outdated products. Done right, having a cloud-based system can provide a simple, even approach across the board.
Hectus recalled a time where small firms could not afford the same technology that larger companies had access to. Now, with cloud-based versions of a document management system or secure file transfer technology, smaller firms can use the same tools as the largest organizations in the world.
To mitigate security risks accounting firms should choose a reputable and diligent cloud provider. Hectus advised that before deploying any cloud solutions, firms need to put vendors through their risk management and due diligence process to ensure the provider is doing its part to secure their data. He also recommended looking for vendor certifications and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards to help vet vendors.
Cevallos said firms under FINRA compliance requirements need to make sure their cloud provider is compliant as well.
Customizing a solution
Reputable cloud providers should have appropriate measures in place for data loss prevention, including antivirus and anti-ransomware, of which you only need to look to the recent global cyber attack dubbed WannaCry to understand the importance. Cloud solutions should have two-factor authentication and encryption not just on your computer at the office, but when in transit mobile devices are vulnerable, too.
Hectus reminds firms that, Any cloud vendor can provide a laundry list of qualifications, but determine whats more important to your firm when creating your own list.
Real industry workflows show that cloud solutions mean greater efficiency and capabilities and, often, even greater security than on-site solutions. Accounting firms are understandably cautious in moving data to the cloud. However, by choosing the right vendors and establishing strong policies and procedures to protect both internal and client information, accountants can make the transition successfully. Efficiency benefits both accountants and their clients, so if your firm has been reluctant to consider the cloud, maybe its time to reconsider.
Dean Sappey is the president and co-founder of DocsCorp.
- What is cloud services? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 3rd, 2019
- What is cloud server? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 3rd, 2019
- UpCloud: World's fastest cloud servers - October 3rd, 2019
- What is a Public Cloud? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 1st, 2019
- Cloud Server - what is and how does it work? | Probrand - September 22nd, 2019
- Best cloud storage service - Consumer Reports - September 22nd, 2019
- Linux Cloud Servers- instantly flexible - May 18th, 2019
- Pricing - Cloud Services | Microsoft Azure - May 13th, 2019
- Hybrid Cloud Security: Simplify Complex ... - Trend Micro - April 28th, 2019
- Best cloud computing services of 2019 | TechRadar - April 8th, 2019
- Hackers Backdoor Cloud Servers to Attack Future Customers - March 29th, 2019
- Cloud vs. In-House Servers: What is the Best Choice ... - January 4th, 2019
- Cloud Services | Design In The Cloud | Autodesk - December 15th, 2018
- Brinkster Cloud Servers - VMware, SolidFire SSD-Based ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Virtual Network Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure - March 29th, 2018
- Keeping Your Files Safe in Google's Cloud - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 5 Reasons SD-WAN, 4G LTE Are Cloud Essentials - No Jitter - September 7th, 2017
- Canon USA Advances PRISMAsync Color Print Server in Version 5.2, Offering Cloud-Based PRISMAlytics Dashboard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - September 7th, 2017
- HPE Reports Q3 Gains Along With Cloud Deal - EnterpriseTech - September 6th, 2017
- Huawei Releases the New-Generation Intelligent Cloud Hardware Platform Atlas - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Unlocking the promise of a connected world through edge cloud ... - ITProPortal - September 5th, 2017
- Want to do IoT right? You'll need more storage, networking, servers, and cloud - TechRepublic - September 5th, 2017
- So you're already in the cloud but need to come back down to Earth - The Register - September 5th, 2017
- Nasa: Our demands for repeat presidential election - Daily Nation - September 5th, 2017
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi open to moving servers to India - Economic Times - September 5th, 2017
- VMware officially lands on AWS cloud with new management and security features - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- VMware-on-AWS is live, and Virtzilla is now a proper SaaS player - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Socionext Partners with Advantech to Offer High-Density, Low-Cost ... - Design and Reuse (press release) - September 2nd, 2017
- Municipal adoption of the cloud - American City & County (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Veeam follows Virtzilla's cloud up the Amazon - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Where does a business's data live? - Information Age - August 31st, 2017
- IBM cooks up a hardware architecture for tastier cloud-based services - TechTarget - August 31st, 2017
- Tachyum bets on flash storage to re-architect the cloud data center - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Juniper adding microsegmentation to Contrail cloud - TechTarget - August 29th, 2017
- The future of serverless cloud looks a lot like physical servers - TechRepublic - August 29th, 2017
- Demand for server specialists increases, but talent pool is small - Network World - August 29th, 2017
- The pros and cons of cloud vs in house servers - Edmonton - August 28th, 2017
- You Can Now Spin Up VMware Servers in Amazon Data Centers - Data Center Knowledge - August 28th, 2017
- Windows Server 2016 changes prompt a new look at management - TechTarget - August 28th, 2017
- Cloud security market to reach $12B by 2024, driven by rise of cyber attacks - TechRepublic - August 28th, 2017
- Jeff Pulver, Internet Pioneer of VoIP and Entrepreneur Joins ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Google Aims to Boost Cloud Security with Titan Chipset - BizTech Magazine - August 28th, 2017
- Oppo and Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India, following India's new directives on data security - Firstpost - August 28th, 2017
- Digital Deluge on the Cloud - Valley News - August 27th, 2017
- How Can You Improve Document Management By Integrating Cloud-Based File Sharing And What You Need To Know ... - Business 2 Community - August 27th, 2017
- Hitachi rack servers get VMware Cloud treatment The Register - The Register - August 26th, 2017
- CenturyLink enhances VMware-based DCC platform, touts software-defined data center approach - FierceTelecom - August 26th, 2017
- Biz sends apps to public cloud, waves 'bye to on-premises server ... - The Register - August 23rd, 2017
- Druva Raises Another $80 Million - Channel Partners - August 23rd, 2017
- CrashPlan alternatives: How to move to another home backup solution - Macworld - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- AMD Lines Up New China Datacenter Partners - EnterpriseTech - August 23rd, 2017
- How do you bring artificial intelligence from the cloud to the edge? - TNW - August 21st, 2017
- The rice of cloud, avocado of virtualization and salmon of doubt: Let's eat storage sushi - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- 70% of firms face skill shortages for server-based roles - Cloud Pro - August 21st, 2017
- Qualcomm moved its Snapdragon designers to its ARM server chip. We peek at the results - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- Info on 1.8 million Chicago voters exposed on Amazon server - USA TODAY - August 21st, 2017
- Microsoft and Google Give Startups Options to Amazon's Cloud - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Cloud is the ignored dimension of security: Cisco - ZDNet - August 18th, 2017
- How AIG moved commercial claims to the cloud - Information Management - August 18th, 2017
- Oracle expands database offering to its cloud services - Network World - August 16th, 2017
- HostHatch launches new Cloud Servers - 5x faster than the giants, including AWS & DigitalOcean - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Oracle Exadata Cloud lands on bare-metal servers - Computer Business Review - August 15th, 2017
- School phones go on 'the cloud' - The Ridgefield Press - August 15th, 2017
- Datrium Announces Split Provisioning For Simple Private Cloud Consolidation At Rackscale - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- New McAfee virtual network security platform offered as part of free test drive on Amazon Web Services - CTR - August 14th, 2017
- How to move into a cloud career from traditional IT - InfoWorld - August 14th, 2017
- Oracle Makes the Most Powerful Database Platform Available on the Industry's Most Advanced Cloud Infrastructure - PR Newswire (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many ... - Markets Insider - August 13th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many Entrepreneurs - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have pulled one of Nvidia's most sluggish businesses out of the gutter - Quartz - August 11th, 2017
- GoDaddy tops Q2 targets, revenue up 22 percent - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- Hardware Can Still Make or Break the Cloud - IT Business Edge (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Serverless Architectures from an MSP's Point of View - MSPmentor - August 4th, 2017
- Unisecure Data Centers Offers 15% Discount On Cloud Server Hosting Services - HostReview.com (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- How The Cloud Will Disrupt The Ad Tech Stack - AdExchanger - August 2nd, 2017
- Packet launches edge compute service in 15 global locations - RCR Wireless News - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM adds Optane to its cloud, only as storage and without GPUs - The Register - August 2nd, 2017
- Joining Apple, Amazon's China Cloud Service Bows to Censors - New York Times - August 1st, 2017
- Cisco Launches New UCS Servers, Hybrid Cloud Management ... - SDxCentral - July 12th, 2017