Harbor, the open-source container image registry, has reached version 2.0, becoming the first open-source registry to fully support the Open Container Initiative (OCI) specification.
There are quite a few registries that allow you to store container images which represent blueprints for launching containerized applications and other cloud app artifacts that describe related metadata like Helm charts, OPAs (Open Policy Agents), and other configuration-related files.
Perhaps the best known is the open source Docker Registry and Docker Hub, a hosted implementation of that code.
There's also Portus, an authorization server and front-end for Docker Registry made by SUSE. And there are various commercial offerings from cloud providers like Alibaba Container Registry, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR), Azure Container Registry, GitLab Container Registry, Google Container Registry, and Red Hat Quay.
Harbor was developed by VMware and put under the oversight of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation in 2018. It's used by thousands of enterprise organizations that want to run their own container image registries, said Michael Michael, director of product management at VMware and Harbor maintainer, in an interview with The Register.
The OCI defines an image specification, for building the application, and a runtime specification, for creating the application environment.
So Harbor's OCI-compliance means that it supports the full set of APIs for defining what can be stored in a Harbor registry.
"Now you have more ways to describe what a container image looks like and how it can be deployed," said Michael. "It enables you to store in any OCI-complaint registry all of the cloud-native artifacts that are important to you."
These cloud-native artifacts, he explained, allow policy rules to be applied to ensure that containers are handled securely.
Version 2.0 brings several noteworthy features.
For example, Harbor now supports the OCI image index specification, by which platform-specific versions of an image can be declared via an index. Also, charts for Helm, the Kubernetes package manager, can now be stored within Harbor, using Helm v3, instead of separately in a Helm-specific repository known as Chart Museum.
Also, the Clair image scanner, which looks for vulnerabilities in Harbor-stored images, is being replaced, though it will still be supported.
"We're making Aqua's image scanner Trivy the default scanner for all your projects," said Michael.
Version 2.0 adds the ability to set expiration dates on individual robot accounts, instead of just a single system-wide setting. It also introduces the ability to configure Harbor services to use SSL, a significant security improvement.
And it adds the ability to trigger webhooks API callbacks individually, so users can configure them, on a project basis, to target HTTP or Slack.
Michael said the 2.0 update also lays the groundwork for future improvements to how Harbor handles container image garbage collection containers create a lot of files that need to be removed. The Docker model of garbage collection, he said, isn't scalable because it adds downtime. Harbor now tracks all the layers in an image and in the future will be able to handle garbage collection without downtime.
Sponsored: Webcast: Build the next generation of your business in the public cloud
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing via satellite to drive 52 Exabytes of traffic by 2029: NSR - SatelliteProME.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Multinational Insurance Company Completes Upgrade of Majesco Policy for P&C from On-Premise to Majesco CloudInsurer to Bolster Growth Strategy -... - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Marked US$ 13 Bn in forecast Years 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud computing, future trends to be followed in the industry - Optocrypto - June 2nd, 2020
- You couldn't do this already? AWS adds size and bandwidth growth to FSx for Windows File Server - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Upstream Security Partners With Amazon Web Services to Enhance Automotive Cybersecurity - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2020
- Improvements on the verify domain error in Office 365 - TechGenix - June 2nd, 2020
- Digital transformation held back by lack of skilled people - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- NTT Com internal cloud server hacked, information on 621 customers stolen - DatacenterDynamics - June 2nd, 2020
- Where is the edge in edge computing? And who gets to decide? - ZDNet - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud-native architectures will define the vRAN future - 5Gradar - June 2nd, 2020
- Developers recall career 'aha' moments that have shaped their Docker experience - SiliconANGLE News - June 2nd, 2020
- HSBC platform uses AI to analyse trading data thousands of times faster - ComputerWeekly.com - June 2nd, 2020
- CloudBolt Releases Version 9.3 of Its Award-Winning Cloud Management Platform - Container Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Kaminario offers cut-price virtual SAN in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- 4 types of mobile security models and how they work - TechTarget - May 31st, 2020
- Increased cybersecurity for the transportation industry - Commercial Carrier Journal - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud-Based Firewalls Are Key to Protecting Employees While Working Remotely - Security Boulevard - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud storage 101: File, block and object storage in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud Transition During the COVID-19 Exposing the Enterprise Vulnerabilities - EnterpriseTalk - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Shelves are well-stocked with cloud-native tools, but simplicity remains a moving target - SiliconANGLE - May 31st, 2020
- Uncover and overcome cloud threat hunting obstacles - TechTarget - May 26th, 2020
- This extraordinary motherboard is being used by server CPU scavengers - TechRadar India - May 26th, 2020
- VMware reduces hardware footprint of its shiny new K8s-on-vSphere toys - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- How Zoom plans to better secure meetings with end-to-end encryption - TechRepublic - May 26th, 2020
- VMware, Dell level up their combined on-prem cloud with much more computing grunt - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- Accelerator Card Market Will Witness Substantial Growth in the Upcoming years by 2027 - WaterCloud News - May 26th, 2020
- Uber India deploys Canon information management solution- Therefore for operational workflow - CRN.in - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research Report prospects the Server Backup Software Market - Cole of Duty - May 26th, 2020
- Do You Know Where Your Servers Come From? Heres Why Securing The Supply Chain Matters - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- Live analytics without vendor lock-in? It's more likely than you think, says Redis Labs - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- Latest Forecast on Government Cloud Market Emerging Industries, Growth, Remarkable Developments and Key Players| Global Future Prospects 2025 - 3rd... - May 26th, 2020
- Cloud Accounting Software Market Research Report Comprising Development Trends 2020, Key Manufacturers and Competitive Landscape to 2025 - Cole of... - May 26th, 2020
- Gartner: How and why cloud providers need to support their customers through Covid-19 - Cloud Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- The Connection Between Cloud Service Providers and Cyber Resilience - Security Intelligence - May 22nd, 2020
- Google And Dell Pave The Way For File Data In The Cloud - The Next Platform - May 22nd, 2020
- Veeam teams up with Kasten for containerised app backup Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - May 22nd, 2020
- Hybrid cloud: The key to surviving and thriving during the pandemic - WTOP - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Exabeam sees more than half of new and add-on recurring revenue from cloud offering - Help Net Security - May 22nd, 2020
- OnShip Brings its Parcel & Freight Shipping Transportation Management Platform to the Cloud with Cameyo - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - May 22nd, 2020
- 'What is Dropbox?': How to use the cloud-based file-storage service for collaboration - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 22nd, 2020
- Couchbase Announces $105 Million Equity Investment Led by GPI Capital to Fuel Its Next Phase of Growth and Cloud Innovation - GlobeNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- The Register calls for aid, and Microsoft's Rohan Kumar will answer... our questions about SQL Edge and Azure Synapse - The Register - May 22nd, 2020
- What are the different types of cloud load balancing? - TechTarget - May 22nd, 2020
- How data centers will become automated and self-reliant - TechHQ - May 22nd, 2020
- Masayoshi Son says AWS and Microsoft will buy more chipsets from the SoftBank Vision Fund-backed Arm, and not - Business Insider India - May 22nd, 2020
- Chinese IPOs hang in the balance as Senate and Nasdaq change rules - Data Economy - May 22nd, 2020
- Portworx upbeat on container storage revenues Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - May 22nd, 2020
- New study Global Managed Servers Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- New Study Finds that IT Pros Are Worried About Corporate Data Security - Database Trends and Applications - May 19th, 2020
- Get your head in the cloud: why cloud is crucial for sustainable business - New Zealand News Centre - Microsoft - May 19th, 2020
- The Global Public Cloud Services Market is expected to grow by $ 221.84 billion during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 19% during the forecast... - May 19th, 2020
- Traditional or Cloud Antivirus Solutions Which is Best? - PC Tech Magazine - May 19th, 2020
- Moving beyond Covid-19: what does the future of work look like? - ETCIO.com - May 19th, 2020
- AWS unleashes custom Arm processor the Graviton2 in new EC2 M6g instance type - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- Pandemic Shows The Value Of The Public Cloud - The Next Platform - May 14th, 2020
- Jigsaw24 Expands Via24 Cloud Services With Deployment of EditShares EFSv - Broadcasting & Cable - May 14th, 2020
- The age of the ethical cloud is green and for everyone Intelligent CIO Europe - Intelligent CIO Africa - May 14th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 14th, 2020
- How cloud is accelerating the growth of digital payments - TechHQ - May 14th, 2020
- Live Webinar Preview: Commands & Custom Scripting for Remote Application Installs - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Swarm Theory: Lessons from nature in the advancement of robotics - Techerati - May 14th, 2020
- What are the Differences Between IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS? - stopthefud - May 14th, 2020
- Zoom Settles with NY AG over Privacy and Security Concerns - Security Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- Codestone helps shipping agent to cloud-based infrastructure - Codestone - May 14th, 2020
- Server sales went through the roof in the first three months of 2020. Enjoy it while it lasts, Dell, HPE, and pals - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Infrastructure Testing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends and Analysis up to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Digital Harmonic to Bring its Powerful AI-Driven Image and Video Enhancing Solution to the Federal Market - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Sorry if this seems latency obvious, but... you can always scale out your storage with end-to-end NVMe - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- The role of the data centre in the future of Data Management - Data Economy - May 14th, 2020
- Edge Intelligence: The Next Wave of AI - EE Times India - May 14th, 2020
- Patch by Friday or compromised by Monday: Salt exploit exposes Infrastructure-as-Code tools threat - SC Magazine UK - May 6th, 2020
- Serverless Exists In The Cloud and Both Need Servers - Computer Business Review - May 6th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Rugged Servers Market 2020-2024 | Increased Adoption of Cloud Applications to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020
- Privitar Announces New Native Integration With Google Cloud Platform - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020