The term cloud services is a broad category that encompasses the myriad IT resources provided over the internet. The expression may also be used to describe professional services that support the selection, deployment and ongoing management of various cloud-based resources.
The first sense of cloud services covers a wide range of resources that a service provider delivers to customers via the internet, which, in this context, has broadly become known as the cloud. Characteristics of cloud services include self-provisioning and elasticity; that is, customers can provision services on an on-demand basis and shut them down when no longer necessary. In addition, customers typically subscribe to cloud services, under a monthly billing arrangement, for example, rather than pay for software licenses and supporting server and network infrastructure upfront. In many transactions, this approach makes a cloud-based technology an operational expense, rather than a capital expense. From a management standpoint, cloud-based technology lets organizations access software, storage, compute and other IT infrastructure elements without the burden of maintaining and upgrading them.
The usage of cloud services has become closely associated with common cloud offerings, such as software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS).
SaaS is a software distribution model in which applications are hosted by a vendor or service provider and made available to customers over a network, typically the internet. Examples include G Suite -- formerly Google Apps -- Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce and Workday.
PaaS refers to the delivery of operating systems and associated services over the internet without downloads or installation. The approach lets customers create and deploy applications without having to invest in the underlying infrastructure. Examples include Amazon Web Services' Elastic Beanstalk, Microsoft Azure -- which refers to its PaaS offering as Cloud Services -- and Salesforce's App Cloud.
IaaS involves outsourcing the equipment used to support operations, including storage, hardware, servers and networking components, all of which are made accessible over a network. Examples include Amazon Web Services, IBM Bluemix and Microsoft Azure. SaaS, PaaS and IaaS are sometimes referred to collectively as theSPI model.
Cloud services that a service provider offers to multiple customers through the internet are referred to as public cloud services. The SaaS, PaaS and IaaS providers noted above may all be said to be providing public cloud-based services.
Private cloud services, in contrast, are not made generally available to individual or corporate users or subscribers. Private cloud-based services use technologies and approaches associated with public clouds, such as virtualization and self-service. But private cloud services run on an organization's own infrastructure and are dedicated to internal users, rather than multiple, external customers.
The second sense of cloud services involves professional services that enable customers to deploy the various types of cloud services. Consulting firms, systems integrators and other channel partners may offer such services to help their clients adopt cloud-based technology.
In this context, cloud services might include any or all of the following offerings: cloud-readiness assessment, application rationalization, migration, deployment, customization, private and public cloud integration -- hybrid clouds -- and ongoing management. Companies specializing in cloud services have become an attractive acquisition target for large IT services providers -- Accenture, IBM and Wipro, for instance -- that seek expertise in cloud consulting and deployment.
Cloud services are sometimes deemed synonymous with web services. The two fields, although related, are not identical. A web service provides a way for applications or computers to communicate with each over the World Wide Web. So, web services are generally associated with machine-to-machine communications, while cloud services are generally associated with scenarios in which individuals or corporate customers consume the service -- users accessing office productivity tools via a SaaS-based application, for example.
Some web services, however, may be closely intertwined with cloud services and their delivery to individuals and organizations. Cloud services, for instance, often use RESTful web services, which are based on representational state transfer (REST) technology. REST is viewed as providing open and well-defined interfaces for application and infrastructure services.
See also: XaaS (anything as a service)
The rest is here:
What is cloud services? - Definition from WhatIs.com
- Over 750,000 Applications for Copies of US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- For Cloud-native App Security, Few Companies Have Embraced DevSecOps - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- Amping Up The Arm Server Roadmap - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Over 750,000 Applications for US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- AWS outperforms rivals in test of cloud capabilities - TechRepublic - December 14th, 2019
- Hyperscale operators accounted for a third of all data center spending in first three quarters of 2019 - FierceTelecom - December 14th, 2019
- IoT news of the week for Dec. 13, 2019 - Stacey on IoT - December 14th, 2019
- Data Sovereignty: The imperative for action - DatacenterDynamics - December 14th, 2019
- Google Transfer Service makes moving your data to the cloud easier than ever - ITProPortal - December 14th, 2019
- Why Middle East startups are choosing the cloud - Khaleej Times - December 14th, 2019
- The 10 Hottest New Business And Enterprise Servers Of 2019 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Pulseway Introduces the All New, Integrated Cloud Backup Solution - PR Web - December 14th, 2019
- Edge predictions for 2020: From SD-WAN and cloud interconnection to security - Small Business - December 14th, 2019
- Broadcom Launches Another Tomahawk Into The Datacenter - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Four Technologies That Are Changing The Way We Do Business - TechShout! - December 14th, 2019
- Meet the power players behind Microsoft's Azure cloud - Business Insider - December 8th, 2019
- Hyperscale Data Center Market - Global Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024: Adoption of Cloud-based Services and & Big Data Driving Hyperscale Data... - December 8th, 2019
- Inside Intel's billion-dollar transformation in the age of AI - Fast Company - December 8th, 2019
- Amazon's cloud business bombards the market with dozens of new features as it looks to preserve its lead - CNBC - December 8th, 2019
- What is Infrastructure-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about IaaS - TechRadar - December 8th, 2019
- Report: Growing HCI Space Boosted by Cloud, AI - Virtualization Review - December 8th, 2019
- 20 VPS providers to shut down on Monday, giving customers two days to save their data - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- How AWS Plans to Speed Up the Cloud - Toolbox - December 8th, 2019
- Finally: AWS Gives Servers A Real Shot In The Arm - The Next Platform - December 8th, 2019
- 5 Top Features of the Cloud that can Benefit Your Small Business - Atlanta Small Business Network - December 8th, 2019
- Once-Reticent Utilities Accelerating Move to the Cloud - Transmission & Distribution World - December 8th, 2019
- Ampere preps an 80-core Arm processor for the cloud - Network World - December 8th, 2019
- Cisco Down Two Execs As One Reportedly Jumps To John Chambers-Backed Pensando - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 8th, 2019
- Meet CIMON-2, a new and improved robotic AI astronaut - Astronomy Magazine - December 8th, 2019
- Qualcomms Snapdragon Tech Summit focuses on 5G AI chips and use cases - VentureBeat - December 8th, 2019
- Are All Russian Mobile Apps Really a Potential Counterintelligence Threat? This is What the Experts Say - Newsweek - December 8th, 2019
- Overcome these VMware Cloud on AWS migration challenges - TechTarget - December 8th, 2019
- Aptiv To Unveil Open Source Advanced Technology Architecture - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ichimoku Cloud Analysis BTC Price Prediction When To Buy Bitcoin? - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- FBI classifies FaceApp as counterintelligence threat, citing ties to Russian intelligence | TheHill - The Hill - December 2nd, 2019
- Tech co. with Glasgow office merges, rebrands - Delaware Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Gatsby Cloud and its Impact on the Headless CMS Space - CMSWire - December 2nd, 2019
- This Holiday Season, Give Your Data Center Manager the Gift of Clarity - Data Economy - December 2nd, 2019
- Unsecured Server with Private Data from Millions of SMS Messages Found Online - Security Boulevard - December 2nd, 2019
- Media Giant Meredith Corporation Selects Nasuni To Help Move Traditional On-Premises File Infrastructure To Amazon Web Services - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- Encapulsation means application migration is no longer the blocker to digital transformation - Business MattersBusiness Matters - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Server Market by 2023 Worldwide Growth Opportunities Recent Trends Forecast by Types and Application to 2023 - Space Market Research - December 2nd, 2019
- Dell's Server Sales Slump Continues - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 2nd, 2019
- Redis Labs bypasses the NoSQL storage bottleneck - Blocks and Files - December 2nd, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T reveal the 1st major initiative to come out of their big cloud-5G partnership - GeekWire - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Is Reportedly Preparing to Launch Its Second Custom Server Chip - The Motley Fool - December 2nd, 2019
- What Impact Can Data Backup and Recovery Trends Have on Organizations? - Enterprise Security Mag - December 2nd, 2019
- C3 Group rebuilds its private cloud on Lenovo and wins on-prem - CRN Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Korea IT H/W: Key Takeaways From Our Q4 2019 Visits To Japan/Taiwan - Seeking Alpha - December 2nd, 2019
- An unsecured Elasticsearch server exposed 1.2 billion user records containing their personal and social information - Packt Hub - December 2nd, 2019
- What can IIoT, the birthchild of the 4th Industrial Revolution, do for you? - Tech Wire Asia - December 2nd, 2019
- Power S812 Gets Another Reprieve, And Other Power Systems Stuff - IT Jungle - December 2nd, 2019
- Recognizing the Right Stuff in Cloud Security - eWeek - November 28th, 2019
- Arm servers attack cloud and HPC - here's why enterprises should care - Diginomica - November 28th, 2019
- Dell, HPE, IBM And Lenovo Face Competition From Cloud-Based Supercomputing - Forbes - November 28th, 2019
- Save over 90% on 5TB of cloud storage with this Black Friday deal - Boing Boing - November 28th, 2019
- Kubernetes Is the Future of Computing. Everything You Should Know. - Barron's - November 28th, 2019
- The Risk Of Complexity And How To Fix It - Forbes - November 28th, 2019
- Who is responsible for cloud security? It's a bit foggy, finds McAfee - Verdict - November 28th, 2019
- The 20 top tech skills that employers want and that can help you find a job, according to recruiting site Indeed - Business Insider - November 28th, 2019
- Microsoft confirms Windows 10 2004 is the next OS version - WindowsReport.com - November 28th, 2019
- 3 Key Takeaways From VMware's Third Quarter - The Motley Fool - November 28th, 2019
- Data auditing is the future of data privacy - SDTimes.com - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Servers Market Analysis, Trends and Forecast to 2025|Dell, HP, IBM - Follow Real News - November 22nd, 2019
- Packet Takes Its 'Go Anywhere' Bare Metal Cloud to the Edge - Data Center Frontier - November 22nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing in Education Sector Industry Forecast to 2025 with Top Key Manufacturers - Eastlake Times - November 22nd, 2019
- Microsofts Biggest Business Could Be the Cloud by 2023, Analyst Says - Barron's - November 22nd, 2019
- The Top Cloud Computing Books You Need to Read in 2020 - Solutions Review - November 22nd, 2019
- Cisco Restructuring To 'Strongly Position The Company Against Our Competitors' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 22nd, 2019
- Kubernetes and the misconception of multi-cloud portability - Diginomica - November 22nd, 2019
- Fashion retailer AllSaints on using Google Cloud to handle online shopping traffic peaks - ComputerWeekly.com - November 21st, 2019
- Exposed database left terabyte of travelers' data open to the public - CNET - November 21st, 2019
- Vodafone picks Google Cloud to develop and host its global data platform - FierceTelecom - November 21st, 2019
- Global Cloud Security Market Size is Expected to Reach 8.9 Billion US$ with a CAGR of 23.5% During the Forecast Period 2015-2020 - Valuates Reports -... - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- SME disaster recovery made easy with cloud, hybrid and HCI - ComputerWeekly.com - November 21st, 2019
- AllSaints tech team explains tools behind its cloud journey - Essential Retail - November 21st, 2019
- Kubernetes - taming the cloud - TechRadar - November 21st, 2019
- State of the Cloud, November 2019 - Cloudwards - November 21st, 2019
- How to ditch the cloud and move to do-it-yourself NAS instead - The Age - November 21st, 2019