San Diego became the host for one of the largest industry events of the year - KubeCon + CloudNativeCon. With over 12000 attendees and 100s of vendors from the cloud native ecosystem, this conference was undoubtedly the biggest gathering of the industry.
Cloud Native Computing Foundation is chartered with the governance of the open source projects that form the critical building blocks of modern infrastructure. The most notable project governed by CNCF is Kubernetes, which has become the foundation of modern infrastructure.
With over 20 projects, 500 members, and 100 companies, CNCF represents one of the most vibrant communities and ecosystems of the industry. Just in 2019, 205 new members joined the foundation doubling the count of the membership.
KubeCon witnessed a 50% increase in attendance compared to last years event in Seattle. From traditional infrastructure companies such as HPE and VMware to young startups, the event had the most interesting mix of vendors.
The event transformed into a major milestone for the cloud native community. Companies utilize KubeCon to announce new products and features.
This years KubeCon saw over 100 announcements coming out from the cloud native ecosystem. Here is an attempt to highlight some of the most interesting announcements from KubeCon + CloudNativeCon 2019.
1. Helm 3 is Launched
Helm, an incubating project from CNCF, is the most popular application packaging tool for Kubernetes. It finds its place in the cloud native toolbox used by administrators as one of the key deployment tools. Microsoft, Google, CodeFresh and Bitnami are the key contributors of Helm.
The latest version of Helm simplifies and streamlines the experience by getting rid of some of the dependencies such as Tiller, a server-side component that ran within a Kubernetes cluster. There is also a well-defined migration path from Helm 2 to Helm 3.
2. AWS, Intuit and WeaveWorks Collaborate on Argo Flux
Argo Flux consolidates similar efforts from Intuit and WeaveWorks to deliver a unified continuous deployment tool based on Gitops. AWS is integrating the GitOps tooling based on Argo Flux in Elastic Kubernetes Service and Flagger for AWS App Mesh.
The collaboration resulted in a new project called GitOps Engine to simplify application deployment in Kubernetes.
3. Confidential Computing for Kubernetes from Microsoft
According to Microsoft, confidential computing capability provides an additional layer of protection from potentially malicious code. Based on Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX), this technology ensures that the data is protected even while the code is running on the CPU.
Microsoft is extending confidential computing to Kubernetes through a native workflow. Azure customers can launch clusters that support Intel SGX and then install confidential computing device plugin in the nodes. Kubernetes users can schedule pods and containers that use the Open Enclave SDK onto hardware which supports Trusted Execution Environments (TEE) based on Intel SGX.
4. Red Hat Launches CodeReady Workspaces 2.0
Announced in February 2019, CodeReady Workspaces from Red Hat provides a Kubernetes-native, browser-based development environment for smoother collaboration across multiple team members. Based on the open source Eclipse Che integrated development environment (IDE) project, CodeReady Workspaces is optimized for Red Hat OpenShift and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
The latest release of CodeReady Workspaces enables developers to create and build applications and services in an environment that mirrors that of production environments running on Red Hat OpenShift.
CodeReady Workspaces streamlines the developer experience by integrating the IDE with the production deployment environments.
5. Mirantis Launches Kubernetes as a Service (KaaS)
Mirantis announced the continuously updated multi-cloud Kubernetes as a service (KaaS). The company calls the offering as a pure-play Kubernetes platform without proprietary API extensions which ensures that the apps can run on any cloud. Mirantis hardens the upstream Kubernetes software to make it scalable and reliable.
This announcement came after the recent news of Mirantis acquiring Dockers enterprise business.
6. OReilly Acquires Katacoda
Katacoda is an extremely popular tool to simulate Linux-based environments for learning new tools and platforms. The best thing about Katacoda is that the users can learn in real environments with the actual tools they would deal in production environments, within their web browser.
OReilly has successfully transformed itself into an online learning platform. Katacoda acquisition enables OReilly users to extend their learning experience to environments that mimic the real-world configuration.
7. Portworx Launches PX-Autopilot
Portworx, the leader in container attached storage market, announced an interesting extension to their storage platform called PX-Autopilot. The tool automatically provisions more storage when it detects that an application deployed on Kubernetes is running low on storage capacity.
PX-Autopilot is a based on policy engine that automatically adds block storage volumes or resizes existing application volumes when consumption hits a specific pre-defined threshold. Think of it as an autoscale engine for cloud native storage.
8. Diamanti Announces Spektra Hybrid Cloud Solution
Hyper-converged infrastructure company, Diamanti, announced Spektra, a hybrid cloud platform to manage the lifecycle of containerized workloads running across on-premises and public clouds. It also supports moving applications and data between various Kubernetes clusters.
Spektra provides a single pane of glass to manage the storage capabilities of clusters registered with the engine which enables mobility of applications and data between multiple Kubernetes environments with minimal impact.
9. Buoyant Announces Dive, a SaaS Control Plane for Kubernetes
Buoyant, the creators of Linkerd, announced the private beta of Dive, a multi-tenant control plane to manage Kubernetes deployments.
According to Buoyant, Dive turns every change to the infrastructure into a permalink - which can be pasted into Slack, commented on, and tied to other changes. Every service gets a homepage - which can be augmented with SLOs, runbooks, and ownership information.
Dive extends Linkerds ability to manage microservices running in a Kubernetes cluster.
10. Rancher Extends Kubernetes to the Edge
Rancher, the company that created the vendor-agnostic and cloud-agnostic Kubernetes management platform, announced the general availability of K3s, a lightweight, certified Kubernetes distribution purpose-built for small footprint workloads.
Rancher partnered with ARM to build a highly optimized version of Kubernetes for the edge. It is packaged as a single binary with a small footprint which reduces the dependencies and steps needed to install and run Kubernetes in resource-constrained environments such as IoT and edge devices.
- Digital Storage Markets for Media & Entertainment, 2019 to 2024 - Cloud Storage Revenue Will Reach ~$3.7 Billion by 2024 - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2025 - Melanian News - January 20th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market by Key Manufacturers, Regions, Risk Analysis, Industry Share, Driving Factors, Deployment Policy, Innovative Technology,... - January 20th, 2020
- Google takes on AWS and Azure in India with Airtel cloud deal - TechCrunch - January 20th, 2020
- The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 - CNET - January 20th, 2020
- Tips To Choose The Right Provider For Cloud Storage And Backup - TechShout! - January 20th, 2020
- Save 39% off Adobe Creative Cloud: full access to Photoshop, Lightroom and more - TechRadar - January 20th, 2020
- Erwan Menard, Director of Infrastructure and Applications Modernization - AiThority - January 20th, 2020
- How are Business Telecoms Set to Change in 2020? - The Future of Things - January 20th, 2020
- Unboxing the Tolino Page 2 E-Reader - Goodereader - January 20th, 2020
- Smart Toys Market To 2026 Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities and Growth Analysis - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Global Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) Market by 2024: Challenges, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Insights and Overall Outlook &... - January 20th, 2020
- How it Works: Disaster Recovery as a Service With Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services and Faction | StorageReview.com - StorageReview.com - January 17th, 2020
- Cheap Adobe Creative Cloud deal: save nearly 40% on monthly subscriptions - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Were Living in a Subscriptions World. Heres How to Navigate It. - The New York Times - January 17th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Industry 2020-2025 Expected to Grow with a Significant CAGR, Size, Trend, Demand, Analysis, Revenue Insights and Top... - January 17th, 2020
- Is Cloud Computing the Answer to Genomics Big Data... - Labiotech.eu - January 17th, 2020
- Uncovering the Long-Term Cloud Archive Equation - TV Technology - January 17th, 2020
- HPC In 2020: Acquisitions And Mergers As The New Normal - The Next Platform - January 17th, 2020
- Amazon will ask a court to block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud computing contract - Q13 News Seattle - January 14th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market Outlook: Heading to the Clouds - The Market Journal - January 14th, 2020
- Jussie Smollett is probably toast now that Google is handing his data to the special prosecutor - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- The Easiest Way to Switch from Windows 7 to Linux - Lifehacker - January 14th, 2020
- Join us live online today: Find out how to store and manage data in the hybrid-cloud era to boost your business - The Register - January 14th, 2020
- VIEWPOINT: Refocusing as a Digital-First Publication - Georgetown University The Hoya - January 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: Current Top Trends and Technologies - Datamation - January 14th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today Millions of files on Americans found open on Internet, and how to avoid juice-jacking - IT World Canada - January 14th, 2020
- Veeam CTO On Why Veeam Wanted To Be Acquired And What Comes Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - January 14th, 2020
- Top five trends in IT for this year - TechRadar - January 4th, 2020
- Lost messages? Here's how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android and iOS devices - Free Press Journal - January 4th, 2020
- [Case Study] How This Maternity Hospital Chain Moved Its Technology Infrastructure To A Cloud Platform - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- Get $30 off a year of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan - Macworld - January 4th, 2020
- Google Photos: The Best Tips and Tricks - Digital Trends - January 4th, 2020
- There's now a new way to experience your favorite shows thanks to the Astro Ultra Box - Mashable SE Asia - January 4th, 2020
- Age of Innovation: Learning from Infinity and Beyond - Porterville Recorder - January 4th, 2020
- Why your business should be using backup as a service - ITProPortal - January 1st, 2020
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market is Expected to Grow from USD 10.4 Billion in 2019 to USD 34.5 Billion by 2024; Growing at a CAGR of 27.1%. -... - January 1st, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Market Reports Observer - January 1st, 2020
- Red Shark Review of the Year - August 2019 - RedShark News - January 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Fixes for iCloud Drive Not Syncing on Windows 10 Issue - Guiding Tech - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Compute in 2019: Workloads and Options - insideHPC - January 1st, 2020
- PrimeArray Systems, Inc. Offers Optical Disc Migration Services - Ripping Services to Hard Drive, Disc Archiving Services, Disc Data Ripping, and... - January 1st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Data Storage Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 14.3% During the Forecast Period - Yahoo Finance - January 1st, 2020
- 5 Trends That Defined Each Year in the 2010s Decade - Security Sales & Integration - January 1st, 2020
- Strange Cloud Outages that Shook up the Tech World in 2019 - EnterpriseTalk - January 1st, 2020
- What is Amazon Athena? - TechRadar - January 1st, 2020
- The One Best REIT To Own In 2020 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Year in review: Best Android apps of 2019 - The South African - January 1st, 2020
- From Boombox To Wireless Speakers: How Tech Evolved Over The Last Decade - Tech Revolution In 2010s - Economic Times - January 1st, 2020
- From retail to robotics, Jeff Bezos is betting big on technology - ETBrandEquity.com - January 1st, 2020
- Amazon's second act, Microsoft's revival and red-hot IPOs highlighted the decade of the cloud - CNBC - December 25th, 2019
- The 3 biggest storage advances of the 2010s - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Professionals Give 11 Predictions for Cloud's Evolution in 2020 - Database Trends and Applications - December 25th, 2019
- Google Drive vs OneDrive: Which is better? - ValueWalk - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring - Datanami - December 25th, 2019
- VC Investments In Enterprise Tech And AI - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- VMware to use MinIO object storage in Kubernetes embrace - Blocks and Files - December 25th, 2019
- These shockingly low prices on Blink security systems and Amazon Fire TVs only last one day - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- SolarWinds Gears New Backup for Office 365 Solution Toward MSPs - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Disrupting the disruptors: The power of hybrid integration - ITProPortal - December 25th, 2019
- Alexa and Google enabled smart plugs are just $7.50 each in this crazy year-end sale - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- Reds team up with leader in cloud storage Acronis - Liverpool FC - December 19th, 2019
- The 5 Best Deals on Cloud Storage and Backup This Holiday Season - XDA Developers - December 19th, 2019
- Data Stored in the Cloud Needs Backup Heres Why - TechiExpert.com - December 19th, 2019
- Why Prudential's Top Line Is Likely To Shrink Nearly $1 Billion In 2019 - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- Swedish c.bank ends five years of negative rates with hike to zero - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- A Data Leak Exposed The Personal Information Of Over 3,000 Ring Users - BuzzFeed News - December 19th, 2019
- Google Photos vs iCloud Photos: Which One to Use on iPhone - Guiding Tech - December 19th, 2019
- QLD TAFE to rip out legacy Veritas tech in cloud shift - ARNnet - December 19th, 2019
- Endurance International hosted Cloudbazaar 2019 the premier event for cloud, domains and web hosting - ETCIO.com - December 19th, 2019
- The three Cs of Actifio 10c: Clouds, containers and copy data - Blocks and Files - December 19th, 2019
- AWS Outposts Is GA. Now What? - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 19th, 2019
- Experts Share Their 2020 Backup and Disaster Recovery Predictions - Solutions Review - December 19th, 2019
- Amazon, AWS and antitrust: How tough could US lawmakers be on the tech titan? - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Gateways For File-Based Applications And IEDM Announcements - Forbes - December 17th, 2019
- Denodo Platform Now Available on the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace Providing Realtime Data Delivery Through Data Virtualization - MarTech Series - December 17th, 2019
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: Future Innovation Ways That, Growth & Profit Analysis, Forecast By 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 17th, 2019
- Global Cloud Storage Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corporation, EMC Corporation Amazon Web Services Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc.... - December 17th, 2019
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market Forecasts to 2024: A $34.5 Billion Opportunity, Driven by Massive Growth in Data Volumes & Increasing Adoption of... - December 17th, 2019
- How the Home Office's Immigration Technology department reduced its cloud costs by 40% - GOV.UK - December 17th, 2019