Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian tipped his hat to Googlers and partners for innovations helping fuel the cloud computing providers drive to woo enterprise customers at the sold-out Next 19 UK conference in London today.
Companies including Irving, Texas-based healthcare giant McKesson, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and London retailer John Lewis Partnership provided customer testimonials on how Google Cloud is helping to transform their businesses.
Kurian and his colleagues at the Mountain View, Calif.-based technology giant unveiled new products and services including security offerings, Explainable AI (artificial intelligence), Bare Metal Solution, which consists of all the infrastructure that customers need to run specialized workloads such as Oracle Database close to Google Cloud, and Smart Compose for Google Docs.
You are going to be excited to know that thousands of Googlers are working hard every day to give you this platform to help you innovate, Kurian said. We give you this platform to paint a new vision for your company -- to imagine what was once considered impossible, and to transform the way you serve customers in every industry. We're investing very aggressively to ensure that you have the right sales resources, customer service resources, as well as product innovations, to take your organization into the future.
Here's an edited look at what Kurian shared with Next 19 UK attendees at ExCeL London, in his own words.
Google Clouds Mission
Our mission at Google Cloud is to enable organizations around the world to transform their business using digital technology and to do so by offering the best infrastructure, a digital transformation platform and industry-specific solutions to help you transform your organization as well as to infuse you with our expertise and our culture to help you create that magic. We do so by offering you three important key components. First, Infrastructure as a Service. Second, our digital transformation platform and third, industry solutions. Our foundation is Infrastructure as a Service. We look at it as offering you six important capabilities: compute, storage, Network as a Service protected by new offerings that we're introducing today in the security area, deployable either in Google's cloud regions, or in your premise -- hybrid -- or increasingly out in the telecommunications network -- the edge. The foundation of all of this is our regions. We're live in 20 regions around the world and 61 availability zones. Six of those are here in Europe, and we'reintroducing five new regions (under previously announced plans to open data centers in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Warsaw, Jakarta and Seoul). This is part of a much longer strategy to roll out many more regions in different parts of the world to bring you our infrastructure so that you can use it effectively.
Googles Renewable Energy Commitment
Our regions are not only very powerful and capable, but also built on a foundation that advances renewables energy. Our CEO, Sundar Pichai, recently announced that Google has been a carbon-neutral company since 2007. When you move workload to our cloud, you're moving workload onto a backbone that is built by the largest corporate renewable energy company in the world: Google. So not only are you moving workloads to an amazing platform, but you're also doing good for the planet.
What Google Is Doing For European Customers
Let's start by understanding what we're doing for European customers, in particular. Recognizing that as cloud becomes a more central piece of IT infrastructure around the world, we're introducing a number of commitments. (They allow) you, first of all, to store your data in Europe -- not just the primary copy, but any secondary backups and all copies of data. You manage your own encryption key. You can keep that key of sight from Google itself. And with a new product we're announcing here at Cloud Next, you can deny Google the ability to decrypt your data for any reason. You have sole control of where your data sits, how it's encrypted and who has access to it. In addition, you can also require Google to ask you approval before any operators access your data. For instance, if you want us to help debug something or help clean up your data for you, you can require us to ask you permission before anybody does anything. And when you grant us permission to do so, we give you an audit record of every operation our operators are conducting, so you can see exactly what they're doing and why. And finally, you can also constrain us to ensure that users and administrators supporting your systems are only doing so from within Europe. So we're giving...European customers a cloud that helps you control where your data sits, who accesses is it, who operates it, and it's designed to meet the strictest regulatory requirements here in Europe. The reason we're doing this is that customers are moving more and more mission-critical workloads to our infrastructure.
Google Clouds Acquisition Of CloudSimple
We're announcing today a number of new offerings in compute, new compute VMs (virtual machines) optimized in both AMD and Intel processors, faster storage offerings and two really great network offerings -- network intelligence that lets you look at global traffic patterns on the network accessing your systems, and packet mirroring that will allow you to get better reliability in the infrastructure. They're all part of our commitment to give you a secure, reliable, high-performance infrastructure to run both our application workloads as well as partner applications. If you're running VMware on your premise, we're announcing today a new offering to allow you to move VMware workloads to the cloud. You can migrate your VMware workload as is to the cloud. You can use your existing VMware tools, processes and operational practices to run these workloads in the cloud. Not only does it allow you to migrate applications unchanged, you can also do so while maintaining business continuity. And we're doing this through an acquisition we announced earlier this week by acquiring CloudSimple. CloudSimple is now part of Google Cloud. They're recognized worldwide as experts in running VMware, and they have proven technology to let you move VMware workloads to our cloud.
New Cloud Acceleration Program
Many companies run SAP applications in our cloud, because it lets you upgrade your SAP systems without downtime. You can run them with excellent performance. You can patch your systems and maintain business continuity without taking any downtime, and you can improve the information that you get from SAP by using Google's analytic tools and our machine learning technology. We're introducing a new programcalled the SAP Cloud Acceleration Program. It's a program we're announcing with a variety of partners -- Atos, Accenture, Deloitte and several others -- to move workloads to the cloud at an extraordinarily attractive price, to run them in our cloud at an extraordinary attractive price, and with new support offerings, including (SAP) MaxAttention, to ensure you get the best reliability in running a mission-critical workload like SAP.
NetApp Cloud Volumes Service
Another workload that we're announcing a solution for today is NetApp. NetApp offers a new service: the Cloud Volumes Service for Google Cloud Platform. We're announcing general availability, including right here in London. So if you run NetApp storage on your premise, Cloud Volumes is a full hybrid cloud storage solution. You can move data from NetApp storage on your premise to our cloud. You can migrate applications that run on NetApp without any change to the cloud. You can run them in production, and you can do so while maintaining business continuity.
Atos Workplace As A Service
We're announcing today a new bare metal offering (Bare Metal Solution) to run raw servers running SAP, VMware and Oracle, for instance. You can migrate existing enterprise licenses to the cloud, and you get great performance and scalability. This is a new offering we're introducing in partnership with Atos. They're also offering a broad set of services, including Database as a Service, a new offering called Workplace as a Service (Google Edition, inclusive of G Suite and Chromebooks)...and running SAP, as well as doing data center exits.
There are people who use our data management infrastructure for AI and machine learning. We offer four important capabilities: a platform, AI building blocks, an AI Hub, which provides one-click deployment of models, and AutoML, (which) makes it much easier for people to build AI models. To make it even easier for customers to adopt AI, we're introducing a variety of solutions -- horizontal solutions like Contact Center AI and Document AI, as well as industry-specific solutions based on Google's AI expertise. One of the important things we're announcing here at Cloud Next is a solution called Explainable AI. Explainable AI allows you, a customer, who is using AI in an enterprise context or an enterprise business process, to understand why the AI infrastructure generated a particular outcome. So for instance, if you're using AI for credit scoring, you want to be able to understand why didn't the model reject a particular credit application and accept another one. Explainable AI provides you the ability to understand that.
Smart Compose For Google Docs
G Suite is used by many people around the world for collaboration. People love this concept called Smart Compose in Gmail, where, (using Google AI), the system suggests a reply for you and makes it much easier for you to compose email. We're now bringing Smart Compose to Google Docs to make you more productive when you're writing documents and collaborating with one another. We've also integrated all the elements of our collaboration tools into a single workspace. Because of these advances today, 5 million companies pay to use G Suite, and we have over a billion people using our Drive and 1.5 billion people every day using Gmail. You could be one of them.
- Digital Storage Markets for Media & Entertainment, 2019 to 2024 - Cloud Storage Revenue Will Reach ~$3.7 Billion by 2024 - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2025 - Melanian News - January 20th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market by Key Manufacturers, Regions, Risk Analysis, Industry Share, Driving Factors, Deployment Policy, Innovative Technology,... - January 20th, 2020
- Google takes on AWS and Azure in India with Airtel cloud deal - TechCrunch - January 20th, 2020
- The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 - CNET - January 20th, 2020
- Tips To Choose The Right Provider For Cloud Storage And Backup - TechShout! - January 20th, 2020
- Save 39% off Adobe Creative Cloud: full access to Photoshop, Lightroom and more - TechRadar - January 20th, 2020
- Erwan Menard, Director of Infrastructure and Applications Modernization - AiThority - January 20th, 2020
- How are Business Telecoms Set to Change in 2020? - The Future of Things - January 20th, 2020
- Unboxing the Tolino Page 2 E-Reader - Goodereader - January 20th, 2020
- Smart Toys Market To 2026 Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities and Growth Analysis - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Global Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) Market by 2024: Challenges, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Insights and Overall Outlook &... - January 20th, 2020
- How it Works: Disaster Recovery as a Service With Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services and Faction | StorageReview.com - StorageReview.com - January 17th, 2020
- Cheap Adobe Creative Cloud deal: save nearly 40% on monthly subscriptions - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Were Living in a Subscriptions World. Heres How to Navigate It. - The New York Times - January 17th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Industry 2020-2025 Expected to Grow with a Significant CAGR, Size, Trend, Demand, Analysis, Revenue Insights and Top... - January 17th, 2020
- Is Cloud Computing the Answer to Genomics Big Data... - Labiotech.eu - January 17th, 2020
- Uncovering the Long-Term Cloud Archive Equation - TV Technology - January 17th, 2020
- HPC In 2020: Acquisitions And Mergers As The New Normal - The Next Platform - January 17th, 2020
- Amazon will ask a court to block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud computing contract - Q13 News Seattle - January 14th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market Outlook: Heading to the Clouds - The Market Journal - January 14th, 2020
- Jussie Smollett is probably toast now that Google is handing his data to the special prosecutor - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- The Easiest Way to Switch from Windows 7 to Linux - Lifehacker - January 14th, 2020
- Join us live online today: Find out how to store and manage data in the hybrid-cloud era to boost your business - The Register - January 14th, 2020
- VIEWPOINT: Refocusing as a Digital-First Publication - Georgetown University The Hoya - January 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: Current Top Trends and Technologies - Datamation - January 14th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today Millions of files on Americans found open on Internet, and how to avoid juice-jacking - IT World Canada - January 14th, 2020
- Veeam CTO On Why Veeam Wanted To Be Acquired And What Comes Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - January 14th, 2020
- Top five trends in IT for this year - TechRadar - January 4th, 2020
- Lost messages? Here's how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android and iOS devices - Free Press Journal - January 4th, 2020
- [Case Study] How This Maternity Hospital Chain Moved Its Technology Infrastructure To A Cloud Platform - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- Get $30 off a year of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan - Macworld - January 4th, 2020
- Google Photos: The Best Tips and Tricks - Digital Trends - January 4th, 2020
- There's now a new way to experience your favorite shows thanks to the Astro Ultra Box - Mashable SE Asia - January 4th, 2020
- Age of Innovation: Learning from Infinity and Beyond - Porterville Recorder - January 4th, 2020
- Why your business should be using backup as a service - ITProPortal - January 1st, 2020
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market is Expected to Grow from USD 10.4 Billion in 2019 to USD 34.5 Billion by 2024; Growing at a CAGR of 27.1%. -... - January 1st, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Market Reports Observer - January 1st, 2020
- Red Shark Review of the Year - August 2019 - RedShark News - January 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Fixes for iCloud Drive Not Syncing on Windows 10 Issue - Guiding Tech - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Compute in 2019: Workloads and Options - insideHPC - January 1st, 2020
- PrimeArray Systems, Inc. Offers Optical Disc Migration Services - Ripping Services to Hard Drive, Disc Archiving Services, Disc Data Ripping, and... - January 1st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Data Storage Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 14.3% During the Forecast Period - Yahoo Finance - January 1st, 2020
- 5 Trends That Defined Each Year in the 2010s Decade - Security Sales & Integration - January 1st, 2020
- Strange Cloud Outages that Shook up the Tech World in 2019 - EnterpriseTalk - January 1st, 2020
- What is Amazon Athena? - TechRadar - January 1st, 2020
- The One Best REIT To Own In 2020 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Year in review: Best Android apps of 2019 - The South African - January 1st, 2020
- From Boombox To Wireless Speakers: How Tech Evolved Over The Last Decade - Tech Revolution In 2010s - Economic Times - January 1st, 2020
- From retail to robotics, Jeff Bezos is betting big on technology - ETBrandEquity.com - January 1st, 2020
- Amazon's second act, Microsoft's revival and red-hot IPOs highlighted the decade of the cloud - CNBC - December 25th, 2019
- The 3 biggest storage advances of the 2010s - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Professionals Give 11 Predictions for Cloud's Evolution in 2020 - Database Trends and Applications - December 25th, 2019
- Google Drive vs OneDrive: Which is better? - ValueWalk - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring - Datanami - December 25th, 2019
- VC Investments In Enterprise Tech And AI - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- VMware to use MinIO object storage in Kubernetes embrace - Blocks and Files - December 25th, 2019
- These shockingly low prices on Blink security systems and Amazon Fire TVs only last one day - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- SolarWinds Gears New Backup for Office 365 Solution Toward MSPs - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Disrupting the disruptors: The power of hybrid integration - ITProPortal - December 25th, 2019
- Alexa and Google enabled smart plugs are just $7.50 each in this crazy year-end sale - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- Reds team up with leader in cloud storage Acronis - Liverpool FC - December 19th, 2019
- The 5 Best Deals on Cloud Storage and Backup This Holiday Season - XDA Developers - December 19th, 2019
- Data Stored in the Cloud Needs Backup Heres Why - TechiExpert.com - December 19th, 2019
- Why Prudential's Top Line Is Likely To Shrink Nearly $1 Billion In 2019 - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- Swedish c.bank ends five years of negative rates with hike to zero - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- A Data Leak Exposed The Personal Information Of Over 3,000 Ring Users - BuzzFeed News - December 19th, 2019
- Google Photos vs iCloud Photos: Which One to Use on iPhone - Guiding Tech - December 19th, 2019
- QLD TAFE to rip out legacy Veritas tech in cloud shift - ARNnet - December 19th, 2019
- Endurance International hosted Cloudbazaar 2019 the premier event for cloud, domains and web hosting - ETCIO.com - December 19th, 2019
- The three Cs of Actifio 10c: Clouds, containers and copy data - Blocks and Files - December 19th, 2019
- AWS Outposts Is GA. Now What? - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 19th, 2019
- Experts Share Their 2020 Backup and Disaster Recovery Predictions - Solutions Review - December 19th, 2019
- Amazon, AWS and antitrust: How tough could US lawmakers be on the tech titan? - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Gateways For File-Based Applications And IEDM Announcements - Forbes - December 17th, 2019
- Denodo Platform Now Available on the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace Providing Realtime Data Delivery Through Data Virtualization - MarTech Series - December 17th, 2019
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: Future Innovation Ways That, Growth & Profit Analysis, Forecast By 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 17th, 2019
- Global Cloud Storage Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corporation, EMC Corporation Amazon Web Services Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc.... - December 17th, 2019
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market Forecasts to 2024: A $34.5 Billion Opportunity, Driven by Massive Growth in Data Volumes & Increasing Adoption of... - December 17th, 2019
- How the Home Office's Immigration Technology department reduced its cloud costs by 40% - GOV.UK - December 17th, 2019