Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian tipped his hat to Googlers and partners for innovations helping fuel the cloud computing providers drive to woo enterprise customers at the sold-out Next 19 UK conference in London today.
Companies including Irving, Texas-based healthcare giant McKesson, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and London retailer John Lewis Partnership provided customer testimonials on how Google Cloud is helping to transform their businesses.
Kurian and his colleagues at the Mountain View, Calif.-based technology giant unveiled new products and services including security offerings, Explainable AI (artificial intelligence), Bare Metal Solution, which consists of all the infrastructure that customers need to run specialized workloads such as Oracle Database close to Google Cloud, and Smart Compose for Google Docs.
You are going to be excited to know that thousands of Googlers are working hard every day to give you this platform to help you innovate, Kurian said. We give you this platform to paint a new vision for your company -- to imagine what was once considered impossible, and to transform the way you serve customers in every industry. We're investing very aggressively to ensure that you have the right sales resources, customer service resources, as well as product innovations, to take your organization into the future.
Here's an edited look at what Kurian shared with Next 19 UK attendees at ExCeL London, in his own words.
Google Clouds Mission
Our mission at Google Cloud is to enable organizations around the world to transform their business using digital technology and to do so by offering the best infrastructure, a digital transformation platform and industry-specific solutions to help you transform your organization as well as to infuse you with our expertise and our culture to help you create that magic. We do so by offering you three important key components. First, Infrastructure as a Service. Second, our digital transformation platform and third, industry solutions. Our foundation is Infrastructure as a Service. We look at it as offering you six important capabilities: compute, storage, Network as a Service protected by new offerings that we're introducing today in the security area, deployable either in Google's cloud regions, or in your premise -- hybrid -- or increasingly out in the telecommunications network -- the edge. The foundation of all of this is our regions. We're live in 20 regions around the world and 61 availability zones. Six of those are here in Europe, and we'reintroducing five new regions (under previously announced plans to open data centers in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Warsaw, Jakarta and Seoul). This is part of a much longer strategy to roll out many more regions in different parts of the world to bring you our infrastructure so that you can use it effectively.
Googles Renewable Energy Commitment
Our regions are not only very powerful and capable, but also built on a foundation that advances renewables energy. Our CEO, Sundar Pichai, recently announced that Google has been a carbon-neutral company since 2007. When you move workload to our cloud, you're moving workload onto a backbone that is built by the largest corporate renewable energy company in the world: Google. So not only are you moving workloads to an amazing platform, but you're also doing good for the planet.
What Google Is Doing For European Customers
Let's start by understanding what we're doing for European customers, in particular. Recognizing that as cloud becomes a more central piece of IT infrastructure around the world, we're introducing a number of commitments. (They allow) you, first of all, to store your data in Europe -- not just the primary copy, but any secondary backups and all copies of data. You manage your own encryption key. You can keep that key of sight from Google itself. And with a new product we're announcing here at Cloud Next, you can deny Google the ability to decrypt your data for any reason. You have sole control of where your data sits, how it's encrypted and who has access to it. In addition, you can also require Google to ask you approval before any operators access your data. For instance, if you want us to help debug something or help clean up your data for you, you can require us to ask you permission before anybody does anything. And when you grant us permission to do so, we give you an audit record of every operation our operators are conducting, so you can see exactly what they're doing and why. And finally, you can also constrain us to ensure that users and administrators supporting your systems are only doing so from within Europe. So we're giving...European customers a cloud that helps you control where your data sits, who accesses is it, who operates it, and it's designed to meet the strictest regulatory requirements here in Europe. The reason we're doing this is that customers are moving more and more mission-critical workloads to our infrastructure.
Google Clouds Acquisition Of CloudSimple
We're announcing today a number of new offerings in compute, new compute VMs (virtual machines) optimized in both AMD and Intel processors, faster storage offerings and two really great network offerings -- network intelligence that lets you look at global traffic patterns on the network accessing your systems, and packet mirroring that will allow you to get better reliability in the infrastructure. They're all part of our commitment to give you a secure, reliable, high-performance infrastructure to run both our application workloads as well as partner applications. If you're running VMware on your premise, we're announcing today a new offering to allow you to move VMware workloads to the cloud. You can migrate your VMware workload as is to the cloud. You can use your existing VMware tools, processes and operational practices to run these workloads in the cloud. Not only does it allow you to migrate applications unchanged, you can also do so while maintaining business continuity. And we're doing this through an acquisition we announced earlier this week by acquiring CloudSimple. CloudSimple is now part of Google Cloud. They're recognized worldwide as experts in running VMware, and they have proven technology to let you move VMware workloads to our cloud.
New Cloud Acceleration Program
Many companies run SAP applications in our cloud, because it lets you upgrade your SAP systems without downtime. You can run them with excellent performance. You can patch your systems and maintain business continuity without taking any downtime, and you can improve the information that you get from SAP by using Google's analytic tools and our machine learning technology. We're introducing a new programcalled the SAP Cloud Acceleration Program. It's a program we're announcing with a variety of partners -- Atos, Accenture, Deloitte and several others -- to move workloads to the cloud at an extraordinarily attractive price, to run them in our cloud at an extraordinary attractive price, and with new support offerings, including (SAP) MaxAttention, to ensure you get the best reliability in running a mission-critical workload like SAP.
NetApp Cloud Volumes Service
Another workload that we're announcing a solution for today is NetApp. NetApp offers a new service: the Cloud Volumes Service for Google Cloud Platform. We're announcing general availability, including right here in London. So if you run NetApp storage on your premise, Cloud Volumes is a full hybrid cloud storage solution. You can move data from NetApp storage on your premise to our cloud. You can migrate applications that run on NetApp without any change to the cloud. You can run them in production, and you can do so while maintaining business continuity.
Atos Workplace As A Service
We're announcing today a new bare metal offering (Bare Metal Solution) to run raw servers running SAP, VMware and Oracle, for instance. You can migrate existing enterprise licenses to the cloud, and you get great performance and scalability. This is a new offering we're introducing in partnership with Atos. They're also offering a broad set of services, including Database as a Service, a new offering called Workplace as a Service (Google Edition, inclusive of G Suite and Chromebooks)...and running SAP, as well as doing data center exits.
There are people who use our data management infrastructure for AI and machine learning. We offer four important capabilities: a platform, AI building blocks, an AI Hub, which provides one-click deployment of models, and AutoML, (which) makes it much easier for people to build AI models. To make it even easier for customers to adopt AI, we're introducing a variety of solutions -- horizontal solutions like Contact Center AI and Document AI, as well as industry-specific solutions based on Google's AI expertise. One of the important things we're announcing here at Cloud Next is a solution called Explainable AI. Explainable AI allows you, a customer, who is using AI in an enterprise context or an enterprise business process, to understand why the AI infrastructure generated a particular outcome. So for instance, if you're using AI for credit scoring, you want to be able to understand why didn't the model reject a particular credit application and accept another one. Explainable AI provides you the ability to understand that.
Smart Compose For Google Docs
G Suite is used by many people around the world for collaboration. People love this concept called Smart Compose in Gmail, where, (using Google AI), the system suggests a reply for you and makes it much easier for you to compose email. We're now bringing Smart Compose to Google Docs to make you more productive when you're writing documents and collaborating with one another. We've also integrated all the elements of our collaboration tools into a single workspace. Because of these advances today, 5 million companies pay to use G Suite, and we have over a billion people using our Drive and 1.5 billion people every day using Gmail. You could be one of them.
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Global Software-Defined Storage Market 2020-2024| Surge in Cloud Adoption to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- This cheap HP laptop hides a surprising secret that barely anyone noticed - TechRadar - July 4th, 2020
- NIAGARA GENEALOGY: Treasure your heirlooms and their stories - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault partners with Microsoft to deliver SaaS and cloud technology - ChannelLife New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- ZM: 3 Work From Home Stocks for the Second Half of 2020 - StockNews.com - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault and Microsoft Partner to Deliver SaaS and Cloud Technology Solutions - IT News Africa - July 4th, 2020
- Lockly Vision critique: A smart lock and a online video doorbell in a person effectively-built unit - Tech Gaming Report - July 4th, 2020
- Dell GM On Future With VMware And Besting HPE GreenLake - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 4th, 2020
- Igneous CEO hands over reins to storage industry vet Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 2nd, 2020
- The Pros and Cons of Hybrid vs Private Cloud Computing - Mighty Gadget - July 2nd, 2020
- Will we ever have a universal file storage platform? - BroadbandDeals - July 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft is finally making one of Windows 10s most unloved features actually useful - TechRadar - July 2nd, 2020
- 6 basics of storage automation, predictive analytics and AI - TechTarget - July 2nd, 2020
- WithStand Software Now Available from Associated Research - PR Web - July 2nd, 2020
- AWS Takes the High Ground with Space Unit - EnterpriseAI - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- The Global Bare Metal Cloud Market is expected to grow by $ 7.89 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - June 29th, 2020
- Deploying the Best of Both Worlds: Data Orchestration for Hybrid Cloud - eWeek - June 29th, 2020
- Global Hybrid Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Size, Share, Product Types, Growth Analysis, Business Statistics, Future Prospects and Key Companies... - June 29th, 2020
- Qumulo Shift opens up scale-out NAS to AWS S3 in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Microsofts new Windows File Recovery tool lets you retrieve deleted documents - The Verge - June 29th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Growth Rate of XX% CAGR by Competitive Factors, Innovative-Technology, Demands and Services Offered Till... - June 29th, 2020
- IHS Markit commits to three-year data and infrastructure migration to AWS cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Groundhog Day Security experts decry latest US attempt to kill end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud infrastructure continues to grow in 2020 - IT-Online - June 29th, 2020
- The Future of Peer-to-Peer Online Learning Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN) Market Global Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020