Cohesity has hooked up with AWS, which is already a backer of the very well-funded data protection business, to sell its Data Platform facilities as a service, with backup being the first product.
Update; 8pm BST Oct 14. Commvault-Azure relationship added.
Data Management as a Service (DMaaS) is the new thing and builds on from Cohesitys Helios cloud-delivered management service for its 1,500 customers with Cohesity DataProtect offered as a service. It also comes days after Cohesity announced its SiteContinuity automated disaster recovery product.
Amazon made an investment in Cohesity in its April $250m E-round. AWSs Doug Yeum, its head of Worldwide Channels and Alliances, said of the deal: Working with Cohesity, we are charting a new course in how data is managed in an as a service model, leveraging disruptive, modern data management capabilities from Cohesity, and industry-leading cloud services from AWS.
Backup as a service (BaaS) will provide backup of on-premises workloads, via a Cohesity SaaS Connector agent, and also of in-cloud application. Backup data can be restored from AWS to AWS or to an on-premises site. The service will be managed by Cohesity and have consumption-based pricing, with a pre-paid alternative. Customers will get a global and searchable view of all their data backed up with Cohesity, both on-premises and in the cloud, through the Helios management facility.
The umbrella brand for Cohesitys DMaaS will be Helios and the DataProtect will be the first of a series of data management offerings for mid to large enterprises. The general idea is that Cohesity services will ingest data into AWS and then upstream Amazon services will process it. For example AWS Macie (security services), Glue (extract, transform and load into data warehouse), Redshift (data warehouse) and SageMaker (machine learning training).
Other potential Cohesity-AWS products include DRaaS, Files-aaS and Test Data Management-aaS. The latter would deliver zero-cost clones for developers in the AWS cloud. We understand DRaaS will follow quite soon.
Mohit Aron, Cohesity CEO and founder, offered his thoughts on this: Cohesity and AWS are also focused on helping customers derive value from data. Through AWS, customers can access a wealth of AWS services, including Amazon Macie, to help customers meet compliance needs, and Amazon Redshift for analytics.
Cohesitys Data Platform software converges a customers secondary data into a single storage vault covering on-premises and public cloud environments. Data is backed up and protected with immutable snapshots, and the public cloud can be used as a file tier and to store backup data.
The Backup as a Service (BaaS) offering is currently in early access preview with general availability planned by the end of the year. Cohesity will continue to sell its on-premises product.
Cohesity and AWS call this deal a strategic collaboration and its impact could be widespread. The largest public cloud has taken a massively-funded data protection and management supplier on board and invested in it. Cohesity customers could look to AWS for in-cloud storage and upstream data management services and AWS customers could now move to Cohesity to look after their on-premises data.
Although data protection and management suppliers like Actifio, Clumio, Dell, Delphix, Druva, HYCU, Rubrik, Veeam, Veritas and others have varying degrees of public cloud involvement, none have as close a relationship as this with with a top 3 public cloud supplier; except one.
Commvault is the exception. In June it announced that it and Microsoft were integrating Commvaults Metallic SaaS data protection with Azure Blob Storage and will develop other product integrations with native Azure services.
The two have a multi-year agreement and Metallic will be a featured app for SaaS data protection in the Azure Marketplace. Metallic Backup & Recovery for Office 365 is already available on the site.
The Google Cloud Platform does not have any equivalent relationship with any supplier like Cohesity.
B&F can envisage exploratory talks between the public cloud companies and the data management companies as suppliers try to become the GCP preferred partners or enlist with AWS alongside Cohesity or Are alongside Commvault..
A second follow-on from the Cohesity-AWS and Commvault-Azure deals could be that mid-to-large enterprise organisations could look to reduce their multiple data protection and management supplier lists and data silos by converging onto fewer suppliers. This would simplify their management burden and make accountability more manageable as well.
- Google: We're capping your free cloud storage at 15GB starting next year - TechRepublic - November 16th, 2020
- Google Photos a reminder that cloud storage isn't infinite - TechHQ - November 16th, 2020
- What is the cheapest way to save all those photos in your phone? - Mint - November 16th, 2020
- What is OneDrive? Everything you need to know about Microsoft's cloud storage service - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 13th, 2020
- Samsung Cloud storage shutdown: Everything you need to know - Tom's Guide - November 13th, 2020
- InfluxData adds yet another 2.0 platform and opens a new front to cloud storage - ZDNet - November 13th, 2020
- This week in storage with Kioxia and Elastic Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market Report With in Depth Analysis by Top Key Players- Zoolz OpenDrive JustCloud MozyPro Egnyte CrashPlan Dropbox... - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Zenit News - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 13th, 2020
- IMT partners with Dalet to simplify AI and media storage in the cloud - KMWorld Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- NetApp CEO George Kurian: The Digital Economy 'Rewrites The Rules' - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 29th, 2020
- Catalogic Software Expands its Smart Data Suite to Cloud Storage and Cloud Native Applications - PR Web - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| Zoolz, OpenDrive, JustCloud, MozyPro,... - October 29th, 2020
- Sycomp launches an unmatched cloud data experience with Sycomp Storage Fueled by IBM Spectrum Scale on Azure - AiThority - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Providers Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Pertino, Asigra, SoftLayer, StorageCraft, Dropbox etc. - The Think... - October 27th, 2020
- NetApp plays Spot the difference in cloud services build-out Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 27th, 2020
- Private Cloud Storage Market Analysis, Growth Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 27th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market Growth, Demand And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Players, Types, Application and Forecast... - October 27th, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Storage - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Object Storage Market Analysis 2020-2027: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Types, Application and Forecast Till 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market (2020 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share -... - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2023 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Integrated With Facebook as Photo and Video Transfer Destination - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Enterprise Data Cloud Storage Software Market is projected to grow at High CAGR during the forecast period, 2026 | MailChimp, Constant Contact,... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Industry Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- 5 top tips for businesses in data backup and recovery - Tom's Guide - October 24th, 2020
- Unified file and object storage: The best of both worlds? - ComputerWeekly.com - October 24th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage market will continue to boom says analyst - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Veeam Enhances Offerings To Be A 'Perfect' Fit For MSPs - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - KYT24 - October 24th, 2020
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020