There's more to it, of course, because if you break down the big change that McDonald's announced this week, there's a smart, 7-point checklist for just about any business trying to weather the current storm.
Here's what McDonald's is doing,and whyany business leader who wants to emerge on the other side of the coronavirus crisis with his or her business intact and growing should pay attention.
Maybe You'd Like a Little Big Mac Instead?
Quick context: It was nearly five years ago that McDonald's started serving breakfast all day, which was something its most loyalcustomers had wanted for a while.
McDonald's got some good press for that decision, but there were complications.
Rather than increasing the total number of people eating at McDonald's,The Wall Street Journal reported, some regular breakfast customers simply started coming in later.
Result: not only less morning traffic at McDonald's, but some afternoon customers were now buying cheaper breakfast items.
Regardless, that's all over. In a national webcast this week to McDonald's restaurant operators, McDonald's announced it will phase out breakfast-all-day, at least temporarily, according to Crain's Chicago Business.For any business facing trying times, here's what to take away from thatthat decision:
1. Simplify your production
This is the most obvious rationale behind the decision: as Crain's put it, a chance to "streamline kitchen operations during the outbreak." Doing away with all-day breakfast means increased efficiency at the drive-thru, too, with many states banning sit-down meals during the pandemic.
If you're thinking of ways to streamline your business, are there product offerings that take up more than their share of resources? Those might be the ones to target first.
2. Streamline distribution
Fewer choices should mean a faster customer experience, provided McDonald's is confident that it won't destroy its own sales in the process.
This should be a part of your thought process as well. Can you eliminate some customer decisions without further hurting sales as a result of the pandemic?
3. Maximize margins
As noted above, breakfast items are generally lower-priced than lunch and dinner options, and in many cases bring lower margins with them.
McDonald's could have decided to cut back on some lunch and dinner options. There's a reason why they chose breakfast instead.
4. Reinforce customer habits
This is a forward-thinking consideration. Someday, our current troubles will pass. By streamlining things, keeping as many restaurants open as possible, and retaining as many menu offerings available it can, McDonald's continues to enable its best customers' habits.
This is key for many businesses: The more you can keep serving your clients and customers, even if you have to reduce some of your offerings, the less opportunity you give competitors to intrude on their habits.
5. Get ahead of the competitive landscape adjustment
We're in a time when we'll see a lot of good from other people, and businesses might even reach out to help each other in selfless ways. Butthe brutal truth is that some companies won't survive the current economic troubles.
Scaling back your goods and service offerings, and especially conserving resources when demand might be lighter, can position youto take advantage of the new landscape on the other side of the crisis.
6. Take the opportunity to readjust things that aren't working
Nobody ever says this outright, but I've wondered whether breakfast-all-day was a customer perk McDonald's wished it could take back. It was great marketing, but the analyses I've seen make me wonder if it made good sense in the long run.
If so, the coronavirus outbreak gives McDonald's the opportunity, if not the excuse, to pull back. Ask yourself: Are there things your company does for customers that you really wish you didn't have to? This might be an opportunity to reflect on them and even curtail them.
7. Control the timing
Finally, it's worth pointing out that while McDonald's announced this change to its operators, and at least one of them leaked the decision to Crain's, there's no suggestion I've seen that McDonald's planned to announce this change publicly.
For one thing, McDonald's restaurants will phase out all-day breakfast at different times, depending on what distribution centers they use.
Making decisions like this in your business can do something else important, too.
Right now, it seems like we're all reacting to the outside world. This might give you a chanceto make decisions that control your environment, instead of it controlling you.
Published on: Mar 28, 2020
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020
- Microsofts Azure And Dynamics 365 To Offer AI-Driven Cloud Storage And Data Analytics To FedEx Logistics For Improving Last-Mile Delivery - Appuals - May 19th, 2020
- InfiniteIO and Google Cloud help orgs reduce the cost of network-attached storage and speed cloud adoption - Help Net Security - May 19th, 2020
- How to Future-Proof Your Business - Built In Austin - May 19th, 2020
- Next-Generation Data Storage Market expected to reach a value of approximately USD 104.3 billion by the year 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are The Best Big Data Cloud Storage Providers? Here Are The Top 6 - Forbes - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud storage needs disruption and Backblaze has delivered the goods - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Did Western Digital Investors Overreact to its Dividend Suspension? - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2020
- At Home Access to Adobe Creative Cloud Extended Through July 6 - Webster University Newsroom - May 11th, 2020
- Putting The Cloud Into The Hands Of Enterprises - The Next Platform - May 11th, 2020
- Microsoft is suddenly recommending Google products and I'm worried - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud Content Collaboration Software Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Returning Future - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- Data Discovery and Data Mapping: Are These Automated Software Technologies Effective for LGPD Compliance? - CPO Magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Lenovos $280 Chromebook Duet 2-in-1 tablet hits shelves - SlashGear - May 11th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Solutions Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - May 7th, 2020
- Global Personal Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Product Types, Method, Application, End Users, Region, Industry Analysis, Recent Trend and Forecast to... - May 7th, 2020
- MyFax review: Is this the best online fax service? - ITProPortal - May 7th, 2020
- How to upload and manage files on Microsoft Teams - Windows Central - May 7th, 2020
- Storage and database innovation evolve in tandem - TechTarget - May 7th, 2020
- Global cloud IT infrastructure spending to hit $70bn by year-end - Trade Arabia - May 7th, 2020
- The Fairphone ethical smartphone is now available with the Google-less Android /e/OS operating system - ZDNet - May 7th, 2020
- AWS launches the $995 Elemental Link for streaming video to its cloud - TechCrunch - May 7th, 2020
- How to Protect Your Google Drive on iPhone and iPad With Face ID or Touch ID - How-To Geek - May 7th, 2020
- Is Home Working As Good For The Planet As We Think? - Forbes - May 7th, 2020
- Global Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending will Touch $70bn This Year - BusinessGhana - May 7th, 2020
- Royal College of Nursing supports frontline nurses during COVID-19 pandemic with online information hub - RealWire - May 7th, 2020
- Will Governments encourage WFH, e-learning in the future? What does it mean for IT infrastructure development? - Kalkine Media - May 7th, 2020
- 3 Ways Dell Technologies Is 'Raising The Bar' Across Its Partner Program - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - May 7th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 4th, 2020
- Looking to the cloud during lockdown | Industry Trends - IBC365 - May 4th, 2020
- Google Cloud and Coviant Software Work Together for Automating Healthcare Data Transfer and Processing - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- What Is Blockchain Storage and How Does It Work - TechFunnel - May 4th, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Trends in the Ready To Use Business Cloud Storage Market 2019-2020 - Jewish Life News - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to 2025 Global Analysis and Forecasts byRockwell Automation, KUKA AG, ABB Group, FANUC - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- your arrival will also bring changes in the management of our chats - Explica - May 4th, 2020
- India's Software Market Growth Down to 4.1% on COVID-19 Impact - EE Times India - May 4th, 2020
- Push the Limits of Flexible and Powerful Analytics - Communal News - May 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Engineering Market 2020 Industry Segmentation, CAGR Status, Leading Trends, and Forecast To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - May 4th, 2020
- Remote working and the benefits of cloud storage - Dealer Support Magazine - May 2nd, 2020
- Start your free design studio on the cloud - Gadgets Now - May 2nd, 2020
- Decentralized Cloud Network Storj to Offer Five Pentabytes of Data Storage to Organizations Conducting Research Related to Fighting COVID-19 -... - May 2nd, 2020
- Has ON1 Just Come up With a Better Way of Using the Cloud to Synchronize Your Editing Across Different Devices? - Fstoppers - May 2nd, 2020
- Alternatives to Google Photos to save and organize your photos - InTallaght - May 2nd, 2020
- How to download Adobe Creative Cloud, and where to get the best Adobe deals - T3 Australia - May 2nd, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud: the key to digital transformation? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 2nd, 2020
- DRaaS vs. cloud DR: What are the differences? - TechTarget - May 2nd, 2020
- India IT spending forecast to drop to --4.5% in 2020 due to COVID-19 - InfotechLead.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Windows 10 gets a little more G-shaped: G Suite admins can now manage Microsoft's OS, and that includes remote wipe - The Register - May 2nd, 2020
- Australian researchers tap cloud to save the Tasmanian devil - ComputerWeekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- China's information consumption booms in Q1 - - April 26th, 2020
- NetApp Architects Application-Integrated Data Management for Kubernetes with Project Astra - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- Amazon's next best bet to take the $10 billion JEDI cloud deal from Microsoft hinges on a 'wildcard' error in the process after a Pentagon... - April 26th, 2020
- Pixel 3A vs. Moto G7: Which one's the better budget buy? - CNET - April 26th, 2020
- What you can cancel without penalties during lockdown to save money - Mirror Online - April 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down How To Find The Best Cloud Storage Option For You - Donklephant - April 24th, 2020
- AWS announces new single-purpose on-prem hardware and tie-in storage tier - The Register - April 24th, 2020
- Amazon Prospects Touted at 3 Firms as Pandemic Lifts Demand - TheStreet - April 24th, 2020
- These Businesses Are Thriving Amid COVID-19 Crisis - Analytics India Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Keeping Your Off-Campus Video Collaborations Safe and Stress-Free - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 24th, 2020
- Retrospect 17 Solo review: Backup software that gives you everything - PCWorld - April 24th, 2020