How does Artificial Intelligence work?
Artificial Intelligence is a complex field with many components and methodologies used to achieve the final result an intelligent machine. AI was developed by studying the way the human brain thinks, learns and decides, then applying those biological mechanisms to computers.
As opposed to classical computing, where coders provide the exact inputs, outputs, and logic, artificial intelligence is based on providing a machine the inputs and a desired outcome, letting the machine develop its own path to achieve its set goal. This frequently allows computers to better optimize a situation than humans, such as optimizing supply chain logistics and streamlining financial processes.
There are four types of AI that differ in their complexity of abilities:
Artificial intelligence is used in virtually all businesses; in fact, you likely interact with it in some capacity on a daily basis. Chatbots, smart cars, IoT devices, healthcare, banking, and logistics all use artificial intelligence to provide a superior experience.
One AI that is quickly finding its way into most consumers homes is the voice assistant, such as Apples Siri, Amazons Alexa, Googles Assistant, and Microsofts Cortana. Once simply considered part of a smart speaker, AI-equipped voice assistants are now powerful tools deeply integrated across entire ecosystems of channels and devices to provide an almost human-like virtual assistant experience.
Dont worry we are still far from a Skynet-like scenario. AI is as safe as the technology it is built upon. But keep in mind that any device that uses AI is likely connected to the internet, and given that internet connected device security isnt perfect and we continue to see large company data breaches, there could be AI vulnerabilities if the devices are not properly secured.
Startups and legacy players alike are investing in AI technology. Some of the leaders include household names like:
As well as newcomers such as:
APEX Technologies was also ranked as the top artificial intelligence company in China last year.
You can read our full list of most innovative AI startups to learn more.
Artificial intelligence can help reduce human error, create more precise analytics, and turn data collecting devices into powerful diagnostic tools. One example of this is wearable devices such as smartwatches and fitness trackers, which put data in the hands of consumers to empower them to play a more active role managing their health.
Learn more about how tech startups are using AI to transform industries like digital health and transportation.
Then-Dartmouth College professor John McCarthy coined the term, artificial intelligence, and is widely known as the father of AI. in the summer of 1956, McCarthy, along with nine other scientists and mathematicians from Harvard, Bell Labs, and IBM, developed the concept of programming machines to use language and solve problems while improving over time.
McCarthy went on to teach at Stanford for nearly 40 years and received the Turing Award in 1971 for his work in AI. He passed away in 2011.
Open application programming interfaces (APIs) are publicly available governing requirements on how an application can communicate and interact. Open APIs provide developers access to proprietary software or web services so they can integrate them into their own programs. For example, you can create your own chatbot using this framework.
As you could imagine, artificial intelligence technology is evolving daily and Business Insider Intelligence keeping its finger on the pulse of how artificial intelligence will shape the future of a variety of industries, such as the Internet of Things (IoT), transportation and logistics, digital health, and multiple branches of fintech including insurtech and life insurance.
See the rest here:
Artificial Intelligence News: Latest Advancements in AI ...
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 27th, 2020
- Opinion: Artificial intelligence should be integrated into our workforce - Los Angeles Times - May 27th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 27th, 2020
- Rimini Street Speeds Software Issue Resolution by 23% with New Artificial Intelligence Applications - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 27th, 2020
- AIDP and Andy Khawaja Set Sights on Bringing Artificial Intelligence to Mars - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- These Wonks Study the Dangers of Artificial Intelligence. To Get You to Pay Attention, They Wrote a Thriller. - Washingtonian - May 27th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 27th, 2020
- The Robot Artists Arent Coming - The New York Times - May 27th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 27th, 2020
- Commonwealth deploys artificial intelligence-powered online tool to help Virginians self-screen for COVID-19 - Southwest Times - May 27th, 2020
- Durr brings artificial intelligence to the paint shop - Autocar Professional - May 27th, 2020
- Telefonica SA : Telefnica offers start-ups its IoT, blockchain and artificial intelligence technology to help them boost their business -... - May 27th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Aviation Industry With Contactless Flying Amid The Crisis - Analytics India Magazine - May 27th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Ascension Glossary - May 23rd, 2020
- 10 Steps to Adopting Artificial Intelligence in Your ... - May 23rd, 2020
- Can Artificial Intelligence Be Smarter Than a Person ... - May 23rd, 2020
- 5 Strong Buy Artificial Intelligence Stocks - May 23rd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence data privacy issues on the rise - May 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceBiotech - May 23rd, 2020
- Marshaling artificial intelligence in the fight against Covid-19 - MIT News - May 23rd, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world | The ... - May 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus puts artificial intelligence to the test - Los Angeles Times - May 23rd, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 23rd, 2020
- UM partners with artificial intelligence leader Atomwise to pursue COVID-19 therapies - UM Today - May 23rd, 2020
- BMW is using Artificial Intelligence to paint its cars for a perfect result - Hindustan Times - May 23rd, 2020
- Harness artificial intelligence and take control your health - Newswise - May 23rd, 2020
- Exploring Artificial Intelligence Variants and Their Uses - RTInsights - May 23rd, 2020
- Importance and Benefits of Artificial intelligence for Patent Searching - Express Computer - May 23rd, 2020
- SUSE infuses portfolio with artificial intelligence and edge technology - SiliconANGLE - May 23rd, 2020
- 7 Types Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - May 17th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 17th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 17th, 2020
- How Is Artificial Intelligence Combatting COVID-19? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 17th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 17th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 17th, 2020
- This Man Created A Perfect AC/DC Song By Using Artificial Intelligence - Kerrang! - May 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Markets in IVD, 2019-2024: Breakdown by Application and Component - GlobeNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 10th, 2020
- Robots and Artificial Intelligence | HowStuffWorks - May 6th, 2020
- A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence | Live Science - May 6th, 2020
- Top 18 Artificial Intelligence Platforms in 2020 - Reviews ... - May 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Algorithms For Beginners | Edureka - May 6th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 6th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture Industry (2020 to 2026) - Developing Countries to Offer Significant Growth Opportunities - GlobeNewswire - May 6th, 2020
- Does An Invention Discovered With Artificial Intelligence Obtain Patent Protection? - JD Supra - May 6th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 6th, 2020
- Intuality Inc.'s Artificial Intelligence Making Accurate Predictions of Coronavirus Cases and Deaths - PRNewswire - May 6th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Disrupting the Media and Entertainment Sector? | Head to Quantzig's Recent Article for Comprehensive Insights -... - May 6th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence could help Wales prevent the spread of Covid-19 - Nation.Cymru - May 6th, 2020
- FTC Provides Guidance on Using Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms - JD Supra - May 6th, 2020
- Boosted.ai Raises $8 Million in Series A Funding to Bring Artificial Intelligence in Investment Management to the Mainstream - Financial Post - May 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is predicting coronavirus outbreaks before they start - TechRepublic - May 6th, 2020
- Customer experience, innovation, artificial intelligence, culture.a look inside Amazon Interview with Claire Whitaker - Customer Think - May 6th, 2020
- How China used robots, drones and artificial intelligence to control the spread of the coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in BFSI Market Latest State Of Affairs On Innovation, Revolutionary Opportunities Customers 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 6th, 2020
- Top Benefits And Risks of Artificial Intelligence ... - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence | Wookieepedia | Fandom - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Podcast | AI Podcast | Lex Fridman - April 28th, 2020
- When Did Artificial Intelligence Get Big? - The Atlantic - April 28th, 2020
- 6 Predictions for the Future of Artificial Intelligence in ... - April 28th, 2020
- Business Innovation: How Artificial Intelligence Is ... - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will be used to power cyberattacks, warn security experts - ZDNet - April 28th, 2020
- Tips On Introducing Artificial Intelligence In Your Business - Forbes - April 28th, 2020
- What Opportunities are Appearing Thanks to AI, Artificial Intelligence? - We Heart - April 28th, 2020
- MIT conference reveals the power of using artificial intelligence to discover new drugs - MIT News - April 28th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is helping scientists find a coronavirus treatment - Brandeis University - April 28th, 2020
- Reducing the carbon footprint of artificial intelligence - MIT News - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Indian Manufacturing Industry, 2020: Trends, Insights, Use Cases, Case Studies - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - April 28th, 2020
- April 2020: The Increasing Importance of Trade Secret Protection for Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - April 28th, 2020
- The ethics of artificial intelligence and automation amid a global pandemic - Morning Star Online - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 28th, 2020
- Riding the wave of artificial intelligence with Sensitrust - Blockmanity - April 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (Not Only) for Business: What is Artificial Intelligence? - The Slovak Spectator - April 28th, 2020
- Outbreak Science: Using artificial intelligence to track the coronavirus pandemic - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 28th, 2020
- Concept Clash: Ex Machina vs. Her and the Best of Artificial Intelligence - Popcorn Talk Network - April 28th, 2020