As enterprises deploy more storage resources to the public cloud, the performance of each provider's service can...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
have a profound effect on related workloads. Issues like storage service levels, network connectivity and application design can all affect application performance. Workloads depend on storage, so it's important to achieve and maintain the necessary levels of storage performance over time.
Use these five tactics to optimize the performance of your public cloud storage service.
Traditional enterprises have complete control over IT resources and their performance. But public cloud computing doesn't work this way. A cloud storage service provider won't change its offerings to create something unique for your business -- that defeats the speed and scale that makes public cloud so versatile.
Users instead have to select from a limited menu of storage services, each with its own advantages and constraints. One of the best ways to optimize the performance of a public cloud storage service is to understand those constraints and make your choice carefully, based on performance requirements.
For example, Amazon Web Services (AWS) users typically choose Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) Standard for low latency and high throughput of frequently accessed data, though performance is variable. The challenge is to select a storage service that provides a level of performance and resilience that is most appropriate for your workload, at the lowest possible cost. If you already chose a service and find it inadequate, consider shifting data to another service tier, a different storage service or even a different public cloud provider.
Users need to know when a public cloud storage service performs the way it should, when performance falters and when the service is disrupted. Measure relevant metrics to gauge availability and performance. Consider a native monitoring service from a cloud provider, such as Amazon CloudWatch, Azure Monitor and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Stackdriver Monitoring.
This kind of service monitoring and measurement simplifies troubleshooting and facilitates improvements to workload architectures and designs. For example, monitoring reports can help an enterprise identify bottlenecks in network or storage performance. Insights from monitoring tools could also lead to service configuration changes, such as more storage capacity or the integration of another storage service.
Many other organizations will use the same storage services that you use, which results in unexpected performance variations. Users cannot change a provider's public cloud storage service to address this, but they can potentially change the architecture and design of their workload to optimize performance.
For example, if you move or deploy a workload in one public cloud region, while the storage resources for that workload remain in a different region, performance can suffer. To address this issue, architects can replicate the original storage repository to a duplicate storage resource in the new region and redirect the workload to use the replicated storage. Architects can also implement caching. For example, sensitive database workloads could benefit from a service such as Amazon ElastiCache or Azure Redis Cache to provide high-performance, in-memory cloud caching.
Ultimately, a workload that relies on public cloud storage must adapt to the behaviors of that storage.
Finally, developers should evaluate the storage sensitivity of applications and consider design changes. For example, asynchronous communication can be more forgiving of latency and disruption than synchronous communication -- though asynchronous operation poses a greater risk of data loss. Ultimately, a workload that relies on public cloud storage must adapt to the behaviors of that storage.
When local workloads cannot overcome the performance limitations of a public cloud storage service, implement specialized tools to accelerate the connection between your data center and the cloud.
One example of such a hybrid implementation is the AWS Storage Gateway, which organizations typically deploy as an appliance in their own data centers. The gateway operates in three primary modes: file, volume and tape. As a file gateway, local workloads deliver file objects to Amazon S3. Organizations primarily use this mode for backup and disaster recovery tasks. As a volume gateway, local workloads can access iSCSI volumes in the cloud. Volume mode -- which organizations commonly use for snapshots and other backups -- also enables local caching, so frequently accessed data can remain in local storage, while other data is stored in the cloud. As a tape gateway, users can extend an existing tape-based backup system to the cloud as a virtual tape library.
Performance problems aren't necessarily rooted in the cloud storage service provider or the service itself, but can be precipitated by limitations in internet connectivity. Public internet carries risks of unexpected congestion and disruption -- both of which can interrupt storage traffic and impair performance.
One option is to increase WAN bandwidth to the public internet. To accomplish this, replace existing WAN links with a high-bandwidth WAN link, such as a 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) or faster. As an alternative, combine multiple, lower-bandwidth WAN links, such as two or more 1 GbE links. Multiple links can also enhance network resilience -- if one link fails, another can maintain connectivity.
Organizations can also use dedicated network connectivity services between their data center and the public cloud storage service. Examples of these services include AWS Direct Connect, Azure ExpressRoute and Google Cloud Interconnect. A dedicated, high-performance connection can eliminate the variable performance of the public internet and improve the use of limited WAN bandwidth.
Review Google cloud storage services and options
High-performance cloud storage is now a reality
Find out which Azure storage types fit your workload
See the article here:
Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget
- Get 2TB of cloud storage and organization for less than $50 - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- Zoho reinvents its cloud storage with WorkDrive - GeekWire - February 23rd, 2020
- Cloud-enabled threats are on the rise, sensitive data is moving between cloud apps - Help Net Security - February 23rd, 2020
- A lifetime of learning from Whizlabs is just $60 right now - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- OneDrive for Android gains a dedicated dark theme in latest beta update - 9to5Google - February 23rd, 2020
- Netskope Releases February 2020 Netskope Cloud and Threat Report - Solutions Review - February 23rd, 2020
- This Wi-Fi Smart Doorbell Has an 180 Vertical Field of View - Gadget Flow - February 23rd, 2020
- TechTarget Storage Magazine and SearchStorage.com Select Hammerspace as a Storage Product of the Year for 2019 - GlobeNewswire - February 18th, 2020
- Top enterprise cloud storage systems win 2019 Products of the Year - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- #1501: How to deal with low cloud storage space, StopTheMadness fixes unfriendly Web sites, clean tech and more from CES 2020 - TidBITS - February 18th, 2020
- Talon Announces Strong Growth Driven By Industry Trend To Cloud Consolidation; Reports Record Sales in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- List: The best ways to protect your pictures - WKYC.com - February 18th, 2020
- 8 Best Ways to Fix Google Drive Storage Full But No Files in It Issue - Guiding Tech - February 18th, 2020
- Public Cloud Storage Service Market Trends, Size, Share, Types, Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive landscape Forecast 2025 -... - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Forbes Road To The Cloud - Architecture, Security And The Refactor - Forbes - February 18th, 2020
- Psst. SANshine, fancy a bit of shared block storage on Azure? - The Register - February 18th, 2020
- Edge Computing Brings the Cloud to the Data - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Research: Aim To Achieve The Pinnacle In Qualitative Industry Research And Business Intelligence -... - February 18th, 2020
- Siacoin (SC) Siaskynet will be the only Big news on February 18, 2020, GoodBye YouTube - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 18th, 2020
- Microsoft ready to take on Google with this new app for Android users - Times of India - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud key to top 2019 data backup and disaster recovery products - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- Look for These 4 Chances to Save During IT Improvements - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- More than software: SaaS is a relationship - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2020
- Connect, share and store images and movies seamlessly with image.canon - Africanews English - February 17th, 2020
- Looking to Keep Data Analytics in Healthcare Affordable? The Answer is the Cloud - - HIT Consultant - February 17th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Keep on Android - Android Police - February 17th, 2020
- Here's how Shree Cement uses IT to decrease TAT by 60% - ETCIO.com - February 17th, 2020
- Premarket stocks: Germany recession fears are back amid the coronavirus outbreak - CNN - February 17th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to Best and Affordable 5 Cloud Services 2020 - PhonesWiki - February 16th, 2020
- Reason 962 to Avoid Cloud Photo and Video Storage: Strangers May Be Able to See Your Stuff - Fstoppers - February 16th, 2020
- Cloud Is On The List - BroadcastProME.com - February 16th, 2020
- Xiaomi is offering a REALLY LONG Mi Cloud subscription plan that spans 60-YEARS - gizmochina - February 16th, 2020
- Google Drive: Lost your Android phone or WhatsApp backup? Here's where to find them - Express - February 16th, 2020
- BackBlaze reports unexpectedly high failure rate for one of Seagate's 12TB drives - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- Data Deduplication Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to2018 2026 - TechNews.mobi - February 16th, 2020
- Preparing IT teams against growing online security threats The Manila Times - The Manila Times - February 16th, 2020
- Fungible aims to slay the CPU bogeyman with composable microprocessor - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- HiveIO Adds Data Protection, BI, Cloud Storage to Its Intelligent Virtualization Solution - Integration Developers - February 12th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Catch Of The Week: Ransomware On The Rise - Los Alamos Daily Post - February 12th, 2020
- Office 365: 9 Baked-In Productivity Tools Built That Workers Are Using - CMSWire - February 12th, 2020
- Pester power! One big customer prompts Dell EMC PowerProtect systems to work with Actifio - Blocks and Files - February 12th, 2020
- Eight ways to stay safe online, Tech News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - February 12th, 2020
- Data protection must be boardroom priority - ITWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Facilis to debut version 8 of their shared storage system and version 3.5 of FastTracker MAM - Screen Africa - February 12th, 2020
- This cloud service will streamline your workflow and simplify your life - Mashable - February 10th, 2020
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Neutrality - WIRED - February 10th, 2020
- Why fast object storage is poised for the mainstream - Blocks and Files - February 10th, 2020
- Choosing the right disaster recovery for your business - ComputerWeekly.com - February 10th, 2020
- Understanding my new-found appreciation of Google Maps - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Synology DS218play 2 Bay NAS Review Is it worth the extra 40+ over the TerraMaster F2-210? - Mighty Gadget - February 10th, 2020
- 7 Great ETFs to Buy for the Rise of 5G - Investorplace.com - February 10th, 2020
- Warren Mead of NS1 Recognized as 2020 CRN Channel Chief - Business Wire - February 10th, 2020
- How to Simplify Resource Management in Higher Education with Azure Tags - EdTech Magazine: Focus on Higher Education - February 1st, 2020
- Top 3 Ways to Fix OneDrive Connectivity Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10 - Guiding Tech - February 1st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size Overview by Rising Demands, Trends and Huge Business Opportunities 2020 to 2028 - VOICE of Wisconsin Rapids - February 1st, 2020
- 5 tips to clean up your Chromebook and keep it running fast - Chrome Unboxed - February 1st, 2020
- Getting the Most Out of Cloud Data Lakes - ITPro Today - January 31st, 2020
- Five signs that your business is ready to start migrating storage to the cloud - IOL - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage MARKET BOOMING BY SIZE, REVENUE, TREND AND TOP GROWING COMPANIES 2026 - Healthcare News - January 31st, 2020
- Kasten klimbs Kubernetes kontainer protection mountain with K10 - Blocks and Files - January 31st, 2020
- Google is taking another stab at a messaging service, and this one could work - Chrome Unboxed - January 31st, 2020
- Ten of the best home tech gadgets for 2020:from 'rollable TVs' to ingenious pop-up steam closets and hi-tech home brew kits - Homes and Property - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market 2020 Services, Demand, Size, Growth, Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players and Forecast to 2025... - January 26th, 2020
- HiveIO Introduces Hive Fabric 8.0 with Added Business Intelligence Capabilities and New Cloud Storage Offerings - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- Epic tells customers it will stop Google Cloud integrations, says report - Healthcare IT News - January 26th, 2020
- The three keys to a successful, data-driven 2020 - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 26th, 2020
- Disaster recovery failover choices: Synchronous mirrors, P2V and the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - January 26th, 2020
- Miss the look of Windows 7? Change these settings - Komando - January 26th, 2020
- Alibaba Cloud Named First Public Cloud Vendor in the World to Obtain Trusted Partner Network (TPN) Certification - Business Wire - January 26th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Drive on Android - Android Police - January 26th, 2020
- In public cloud, what worked at 1PB wont work at 100PB - VentureBeat - January 26th, 2020
- Formulus Black's Forsa Software Named Finalist for TechTarget's 2019 Storage Product of the Year - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- 11 Best Ways to Fix Dropbox Not Connecting or Syncing on Windows 10 Error - Guiding Tech - January 26th, 2020
- What is AWS S3 and 5Ws for using it? - WhaTech - January 26th, 2020
- The Future of Edge Computing: Beyond IoT - Datamation - January 26th, 2020
- The 28 Best Backup and Disaster Recovery Companies for 2020 - Solutions Review - January 26th, 2020
- Signiant Sees Another Record Year in 2019 - Broadcasting & Cable - January 26th, 2020
- Major new collaborative tools feature in Premiere Pro update - RedShark News - January 26th, 2020