Cloud storage services are great for sharing files with friends and families, keeping documents in sync between all of your devices, and so much more. Free cloud storage is even better!
Yes, there really areno-strings-attached, free cloud storage services out there. Many of them, actually.While nearly all have premium offerings that provide more space, the free cloud storage offered is usually more than enough for most people.
Better yet, many of these free online storage providers give you even more free space for referring friends or performing other tasks.
Cloud storage is different than automatic cloud backup. The services listed below are great for keeping your files kept online for storage, sharing, and playback, but they will not keep your computer files backed up online on a schedule.
10 GB of free online storageis offered by pCloud, with friend referrals and other bonus stepsjumping it to a possible 20 GB.
A desktop client can be installed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. There's also a mobile app that's very intuitive and easy to use.
pCloudsupports adding files from a remote URL in addition to single file and whole folder uploads through a browser. The mobile apps can upload photos and videos directly to your pCloud account.
Both files and folders can both be shared with non-users. Shared folders can even be downloaded as a ZIP archive.
Also, pCloud allows upload links to be generated for folders so anyone can send files to your account. A unique email address is also generated which lets you (or anyone)email files directly to a folder on your pCloud account.
In addition to the above, you can backup the photos from your social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, and Picasa.
Get pCloud for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, and more.
Dropbox users start off with 2 GB of free space with several simple ways of earning more, up to around 18 GB.
You can view and upload all your Dropbox files from a desktop or mobile app and share whole folders with anyone, even if they don't have a Dropbox account.
If you have Microsoft Office files stored in your Dropbox account, you can edit them from inside your browser for free using Microsoft Office Online.
Get Dropbox for Android, iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, or your computer.
Useful amount of storage.
Cross-platform mobile apps.
Unique file sharing permissions.
No public access to shared folders.
Tiny upload file size limit.
Unfriendly website interface.
New FlipDrive users get 10 GB of initial storage with an opportunity for more for each friend they can refer to start using FlipDrive.
There is a mobile app that can be used for uploading files to FlipDrive, but the website works, too. If you use the web version, you can upload whole folders using the website, which is nice.
You can share files with anyone, even if they don't have a FlipDrive account. However, accessing sharedfolders requires a registered FlipDrive account.Recipients can be given write, edit, delete, and share permissions in addition to read rights for folders.
You can create up to 10 shared links and upload files that are as large as 25 MB.
The FlipDrive website isn't the easiest to use when compared to most other cloud storage services, which is a bummer, but it still manages to function if you can work through it.
FlipDrive downloads are available for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows, and Windows Phone devices.
Google Drive is the cloud storage service offered by Google. Each new user gets 15 GB of free space.
The total storageis actuallyshared with other Google services, like Gmail and Google+ Photos. If you don't use the other services, you canutilize almost all the space for Google Drive alone.
A sync client can be installed for desktop users, which supports folder and file uploads. There's also a mobile app that can sendphotos and videos to Google Drive.
Folders and files can be shared with specific Google users via their email address or anyone with a public link. You can also make a file view-only, which prevents someone from downloading it.
Google Drive makes it really simple to collaborate with others by allowing comments and letting files be opened and accessed my more than one person at a time.
Get Google Drive for iPhone, iPad, Android, or your Mac or Windows computer.
Works with Microsoft Office Online.
Many ways to upload files.
Control how files are shared.
Earn more storage for free.
OneDrive (formerly called SkyDrive) is an online storage service from Microsoft. Everyone gets 5GB of free space when they sign up.
Extra hosting can be awarded if you follow certain instructions, like friend referrals and mobile photo syncing.
A desktop program can be installed to easily transfer folders and files of any type to OneDrive, making them accessible from a mobile device. The mobile app can also upload files both images and videos.
OneDrive supports sharing both folders and files with non-registered users. A permission can be set to only allow viewing or to allow full editing.
You can get the OneDrive app for Windows, Android, iPhone, iPad, and Xbox One.
Get 5 GB of free online storage space with HiDrive. If you refer friends to join, you can increase your storage up to 10 GB.
If you're aWindows or Mac user, youcan connect to your account over WebDAV, which makes it really simple to drag and drop new files to your account.
An app is available that supports mobile photo and video uploads.
When sharing files, you're required to set the URL to expire after a certain number of days and also set a maximum number of allowed downloads before the link becomes invalid.
You can also share folders, and recipients, even non-users, can download all the files at once in an archive.
The HiDrive app is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Yandex is a Russian company known mainly for its popularYandex Searchand Yandex Email services, but they also have others, like Yandex.Disk for 10 GB of free cloud storage for anyone who creates an account.
There are plenty of useful features with Yandex.Disk, such as public and privatefolder and file sharing, the ability to import photos via social networks,bulk downloads, automatic mobile uploads, and support for drag and drop.
Windows, Mac, and Linux users can install a desktop program to upload files to Yandex.Disk, and a mobile app is available for Android, iPhone, and iPad.
Complete tasks to earn more free space.
Web-based folder uploads.
Collaborate with team folders.
Password protect shares.
Not ideal for large files like videos.
Can't cancel web uploads.
Minimal but functional website.
5 GB can of free cloud storage can be had when you sign up for Sync.
Like some of the other services listed on this page, Sync can upload multiple files at once through both the website interface as well as the mobile and desktop app.
You can build shared folders that other users can interact with as well as share any folder or file withanyone, regardless if they're a Sync user.
Vaultis a folder in Sync that you can put files into so that they aren't synced across your other devices. This is useful if you just want to archive some files online but don't need them elsewhere.
See Sync'sfeatures page for a list of its features and some comparisons between the free and pro versions.
This service is available from not only the web but also Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
MyDrive is another online storage service but it offers much less space than the majority of the others in this list.There is no limit to how large uploads can be, but you can only store up to 100 MB on MyDrive, which makes the maximum file size 100 MB as well.
MyDrive is very limited compared to similar websites, such as the fact that file sharing is allowed only if you give out a "guest" username and password, and you only get one.
Though I do like thatyou can download multiple files in an archive andrestore deleted files up to a month after removing them from your account.
Adesktop appis available for Windows, Linux, andMac computers, and an Android and iOS app for mobile devices. Plus, you can connect to your account through WebDAV.
Another website that gives out quite a bit of online space is Tencent Cloud at Weiyun.com. However, while there is 10 GB of free storage up for grabs, the website and app are not in English, making it pretty difficult to use them.
With that being said, if you're out of options and need these 10 gigabytes, the upload and download buttons are easy enough to understand since they're just pictures.
You can check how much space you have available from this page.
To get logged in to Tencent Cloud, you can download the WeChat app on your phone (it's in English) and use theDiscover > Scanoption to scan the QR code on Weiyun.com, which will get you in and let you use the cloud storage features (use the QR code from the right tab).
Tencent Cloud can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, and iPad.
More storage than most services.
Apps for mobile and desktop.
Automatically upload files.
Multiple ways to earn more free storage space.
Works more like a backup service.
No external hard drive support.
Can't view saved files on the website.
Degoo gives out a huge 100 GB of free storage to anyone who makes an account.
If you have lots of friends who want to use Degoo to store their files, you can even get 500 GBmoreby referring them to make an account. You get 3 GB for each person that joins through your referral. You can also watch ads to get more free online space (1.2 GB per day).
I've placed Degoo at the very bottom of this list despite its huge 100 GB capacity because it functions a bit more like a backup service rather than a cloud storage program.
You can definitely pick which files are backed up but backups are performed automatically every 24 hours to keep things updated, which makes it work more like a free backup service.
Because Degoo is a bit different than these other cloud storage services, you should use it like this: pick a folder on your computer that will hold all of your backed up files, or make new one. Put everything into that folder that you want to keep online, and then make sure Degoo is running to back up the files online.
You can use the cloud storage account on your computer through the desktop program, or access your files on the go with the mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Originally posted here:
The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020
- Medical Image Cloud Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- What Is OneDrive? A 2020 Guide to Microsoft's Cloud Storage - Cloudwards - August 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Growth, Industry Verticals and Forecast to 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Outlook on the Healthcare Data Storage Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 20th, 2020
- Personal Cloud Storage Market by Top Manufacturers with Production, Price, Revenue (value) and Market Share to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 16th, 2020
- Pure Storage and Cohesity in Partnership to Deliver Rapid Recovery at Scale - insideHPC - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Systems Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - eRealty Express - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 16th, 2020
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020