An ongoing cryptocurrency bear market is not dampening interest for Fidelity's new institutional cryptocurrency products.
Fidelity Digital Assets, a new company created by the investing giant last year, has quietly rolled out its cryptocurrency custody and trade execution operations. In the past few months it has been up and running with institutional investors like hedge funds and family offices, according to its top executive.
The collapse in cryptocurrency prices over the last year "haven't had an impact" on getting up and running, Tom Jessop, head of Fidelity Digital Assets told CNBC at the DC Blockchain Summit this week. "If you started a crypto fund at the height of the market you're probably hurting right now."
Bitcoin, along with thousands of other digital coins, sparked a buying frenzy among retail investors in late 2017. The world's largest cryptocurrency has dropped more than 80 percent since its high of almost $20,000 at the end of 2017 and was trading near $3,789 on Friday.
Still, Jessop said there's long-term interest from institutional investors to add some form of cryptocurrency to their portfolios. It's often seen as an uncorrelated risk, or a store of value in a crisis. Others see a trading opportunity given the sector's volatility. Fidelity commissioned research to gauge the level of that interest.
The firm interviewed roughly 450 institutions, everyone from wealthy families to hedge funds, pensions and endowments. About 22 percent of the respondents already own cryptocurrency, according to the findings. Those that already own it expect to double their allocation over five years.
"If anything, they are as encouraged now as they were when prices were higher," Jessop said.
Fidelity's new company will execute trades on multiple exchanges for these professional investors. It also handles custody, or the safe storage of digital assets. Until Fidelity, there had been a noticeable lack of a big U.S.-based company in that business.
Jessop said while the company is live, certain aspects are still a work in progress. Fidelity is expanding the jurisdictional coverage of where it can do business. And its offerings are not one-size-fits-all. Some customers were using the platform in January, while for other customers, it was March. Others may wait until September, he said.
"It really depends on the facts and circumstances of each client," Jessop said.
Fidelity, a roughly 72-year-old family-controlled firm, is known for managing retirement plans and mutual funds. But it also spends $2.5 billion per year on technologies like artificial intelligence and blockchain. The new digital asset company was born out of the Fidelity Center for Applied Technology, or FCAT as employees call it.
Jessop said many institutional investors are still in "wait and see" mode when it comes to putting money into crypto.
"At some point, there will be an attractive entry point," Jessop said. "But by the same token people don't want to be early even if we're well off the highs."
Much of that hesitation has to do with volatility, he said. The digital currency market has been known to jump or sink by 10 percent in a single day. While prices in 2019 have been relatively stable, institutions are still wary of those sudden price moves, according to the Fidelity survey. That issue should be solved as the market structure matures, Jessop said.
Education is another roadblock to greater acceptance by investors. Jessop said the more educated a firm was on the topic, the more likely they were to be holding cryptocurrency.
"They've approached us wanting to learn, which is an encouraging sign," Jessop said. "That's not to say that there's a cohort of people that once they get educated will still have a negative view."
WATCH:How to start your very own cryptocurrency
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will the Balkans Take to Cryptocurrency? - Balkan Insight - September 19th, 2020
- The risks of investing in cryptocurrency and how to overcome them - Telemedia Online - September 19th, 2020
- How is cryptocurrency going to be regulated in the EU? - Kalkine Media - September 19th, 2020
- Russia and Ukraine have Disproportionately High Cryptocurrency Usage with Many Locals Shifting Financial Activity to Digital Assets: Report -... - September 19th, 2020
- Will crypto trading get as regulated as the stocks or FX trading? - Crypto News Flash - September 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Can Uniswaps UNI Break Into the Top 10 Cryptocurrency Token Rankings? - CryptoPotato - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will The Balkans Take To Cryptocurrency? - Analysis - Eurasia Review - September 19th, 2020
- The Rise and Fall of a Tribal Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 6th, 2020
- How Will Greece Be Impacted By Cryptocurrency? - GreekCityTimes.com - September 6th, 2020
- Justice Department Seeks To Recover Hacked Cryptocurrency Funds Tied To North Korea - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Prodigy, Joseph PlugWalkJoe O'Connor, Is Helping People Everywhere Master Crypto - AiThority - September 6th, 2020
- Kazakhstan in talks on $700m in cryptocurrency mining projects - Cyprus Mail - September 6th, 2020
- Akon Unveils Major Details of $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City: Real-Life Wakanda - Bitcoin News - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $10,460 after a significant rejection and overall weakness - FXStreet - September 6th, 2020
- Brexit in the US: Californian exit plan will use cryptocurrency to give everyone an income - Daily Express - September 6th, 2020
- YFI: Yearn Finance becomes the most expensive cryptocurrency, surges past $27000 - Nairametrics - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook and Twitter need to do more to prevent cryptocurrency scams, says CoinCorner CEO - ResponseSource - September 6th, 2020
- PM Modis Websites Twitter Account Briefly Hacked to Ask for Cryptocurrency - NDTV - September 6th, 2020
- The Cryptocurrency XRP Is Having A Good 6 Weeks - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 24th, 2020
- Report finds $50 billion of cryptocurrency moved out of China hinting at capital flight against Beijing rules - CNBC - August 24th, 2020
- Leading Cryptocurrency Exchange PayBito to Add More Altcoins to the Platform - AiThority - August 24th, 2020
- Crypto: Why investors are rushing to DeFi assets - Nairametrics - August 24th, 2020
- Hackers Intercept Cryptocurrency Payments on the Tor Network Through SSL Stripping - CPO Magazine - August 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin price is surging as investors turn back to cryptocurrency - Metro.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency from Coincheck cyberattack to be confiscated - The Japan Times - August 20th, 2020
- Tether retakes top 3 cryptocurrency spot over XRP - Decrypt - August 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin price hits 2020 record as investors turn to cryptocurrency during pandemic - The Independent - August 20th, 2020
- Buy Bitcoin or Gold? Novogratz and Portnoy Prefer the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2020
- Boston Fed Bank explores cryptocurrency with MIT - Boston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Wills - Today's Wills & Probate - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency gaining traction in mainstream - Jim Duffy comment - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020