An ongoing cryptocurrency bear market is not dampening interest for Fidelity's new institutional cryptocurrency products.
Fidelity Digital Assets, a new company created by the investing giant last year, has quietly rolled out its cryptocurrency custody and trade execution operations. In the past few months it has been up and running with institutional investors like hedge funds and family offices, according to its top executive.
The collapse in cryptocurrency prices over the last year "haven't had an impact" on getting up and running, Tom Jessop, head of Fidelity Digital Assets told CNBC at the DC Blockchain Summit this week. "If you started a crypto fund at the height of the market you're probably hurting right now."
Bitcoin, along with thousands of other digital coins, sparked a buying frenzy among retail investors in late 2017. The world's largest cryptocurrency has dropped more than 80 percent since its high of almost $20,000 at the end of 2017 and was trading near $3,789 on Friday.
Still, Jessop said there's long-term interest from institutional investors to add some form of cryptocurrency to their portfolios. It's often seen as an uncorrelated risk, or a store of value in a crisis. Others see a trading opportunity given the sector's volatility. Fidelity commissioned research to gauge the level of that interest.
The firm interviewed roughly 450 institutions, everyone from wealthy families to hedge funds, pensions and endowments. About 22 percent of the respondents already own cryptocurrency, according to the findings. Those that already own it expect to double their allocation over five years.
"If anything, they are as encouraged now as they were when prices were higher," Jessop said.
Fidelity's new company will execute trades on multiple exchanges for these professional investors. It also handles custody, or the safe storage of digital assets. Until Fidelity, there had been a noticeable lack of a big U.S.-based company in that business.
Jessop said while the company is live, certain aspects are still a work in progress. Fidelity is expanding the jurisdictional coverage of where it can do business. And its offerings are not one-size-fits-all. Some customers were using the platform in January, while for other customers, it was March. Others may wait until September, he said.
"It really depends on the facts and circumstances of each client," Jessop said.
Fidelity, a roughly 72-year-old family-controlled firm, is known for managing retirement plans and mutual funds. But it also spends $2.5 billion per year on technologies like artificial intelligence and blockchain. The new digital asset company was born out of the Fidelity Center for Applied Technology, or FCAT as employees call it.
Jessop said many institutional investors are still in "wait and see" mode when it comes to putting money into crypto.
"At some point, there will be an attractive entry point," Jessop said. "But by the same token people don't want to be early even if we're well off the highs."
Much of that hesitation has to do with volatility, he said. The digital currency market has been known to jump or sink by 10 percent in a single day. While prices in 2019 have been relatively stable, institutions are still wary of those sudden price moves, according to the Fidelity survey. That issue should be solved as the market structure matures, Jessop said.
Education is another roadblock to greater acceptance by investors. Jessop said the more educated a firm was on the topic, the more likely they were to be holding cryptocurrency.
"They've approached us wanting to learn, which is an encouraging sign," Jessop said. "That's not to say that there's a cohort of people that once they get educated will still have a negative view."
WATCH:How to start your very own cryptocurrency
- Investors who lost $190m demand exhumation of cryptocurrency mogul - The Guardian - December 14th, 2019
- This little-known cryptocurrency is heading towards the top ten - Decrypt - December 14th, 2019
- Moonday Mornings: IRS readies to tax your cryptocurrency no matter what - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- $1.6B in Bitcoin bought during 2017s bull run hasnt moved - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- ING bank wants to give clients a compliant way to store cryptocurrency, report - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- Wondering About The Tax Treatment Of A Cryptocurrency Hard Fork And Airdrop? - JD Supra - December 14th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency scammers carefully built up their target's trust, then they fleeced him mercilessly - Mirror Online - December 14th, 2019
- Police arrest head of $2.7M Ugandan cryptocurrency scam - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- US arrests three in alleged USD 722 mn cryptocurrency fraud - Business Standard - December 14th, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - December 4th, 2019
- 8 Best Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Books To Read in 2019 ... - December 4th, 2019
- What Is Cryptocurrency Mining? - Mycryptopedia - December 4th, 2019
- Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing - December 4th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101 in the South Bronx - The New Yorker - December 4th, 2019
- Bitcoin Corrects And What's Next - Seeking Alpha - December 4th, 2019
- Drugs hidden in childs toy lead police to massive $1M cryptocurrency stash - The Next Web - December 4th, 2019
- Want to Pay for Your Stay with Cryptocurrency? Head to Vir Island - Total Croatia News - December 4th, 2019
- Thai SEC to Amend its Royal Decree on Cryptocurrency - The Tokenist - December 4th, 2019
- German Banks Will Be Allowed to Buy, Sell, and Store Cryptocurrency Starting New Years Day Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside... - December 4th, 2019
- India vs. the people: The battle over cryptocurrency ownership continues - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Binance Launches Ethereum Futures, Hackers Steal $50 Mn From Korean Exchange And ... - Inc42 Media - December 2nd, 2019
- China Shuts Down 173 Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Token-Issuing Platforms - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversify their portfolios - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters - November 28th, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversity their portfolios - Forkast News - November 28th, 2019
- Binance CEO: China has never been pro-Bitcoin or pro-cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2019
- Navigating the Token Crypt: What Options Are Available For Investing Cryptocurrency? - Nasdaq - November 28th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin sits above $7,000 as the trading range is narrowing - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 28th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency steps closer to legalization in South Korea - CoinGeek - November 28th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 22nd, 2019
- VinDAX Is the Seventh Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked This Year: What Should Investors Be Considering? - Lexology - November 22nd, 2019
- Bitfinex Announces Strategic Collaboration with ODEM to Expand Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Education - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 22nd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: $5 billion wiped off as Bitcoin bears take a breather - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears hit the pause button - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 20th, 2019
- Swedish gold-for-cryptocurrency scammer finally extradited to US - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Binance US Adds Nano (NANO) as Its 26th Cryptocurrency - SludgeFeed - November 20th, 2019
- Is the IRS HODLing Out on Us? IRS Issues Additional Cryptocurrency Guidance Addressing Hard Forks, Soft Forks, and Airdrops - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Maksim Zaslavskiy of the cryptocurrency Recoin was sentenced to 18 months in prison for lying to investors - Crain's New York Business - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrencies | Category | Fox Business - November 1st, 2019
- Best cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 - The Complete Guide - November 1st, 2019
- Best Cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 Our Top 4 Picks - October 22nd, 2019
- Buy Cryptocurrency with Credit Card or Bank Transfer now ... - September 30th, 2019
- Best 10 Cryptocurrency Brokers - Updated for 2019 (Safe ... - September 30th, 2019
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com - April 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019