If you like being up to date with recent technology, you may have probably wondered what is cloud storage and what can it be used for? There is no easy way to describe this promising technology, as the definition constantly changes like the softwares profile.
In laymans terms, we could define cloud storage as a computing model where all the data is stored on secure or remote servers rather than on hard drives. The so-called cloud is actually an ensemble of servers that serve as hosts for the information they receive from all over the world.
In this article on what is cloud storage, we will attempt to address some of the most common questions regarding cloud storage.
Unlike traditional storage devices like hard drives or CDs, where information is stored in a physical format, all the data in the cloud is stored virtually on servers. Furthermore, you can access everything that is on the cloud from any computer thathas an internet connection.
The first major difference between cloud storage and traditional storage means is accessibility. While hard disks offer local access to information, cloud storage offers unlimited access to data, if the users can provide the necessary passkeys and if the computer has internetaccess.
Working with a cloud storage service has many advantages, as well as disadvantages. Probably the most obvious advantage that pops into mind is that you wont need to clutter up your hard drive with useless information. Furthermore, cloud storage services usually employ advanced information compression functions, which means greater indexing capability.
This, in turn, translates to faster search speeds. However, using a cloud storage service is not without disadvantages. Being a hosting entity, the cloud relies heavily on Internet connection speed.So, how does cloud storage work?
What Is Cloud Storage?
Cloud computing is an on-demand computing model which relies on a stable Internet connection to share and access data across multiple devices such as computers or smartphones.
If we took a step back to see the bigger picture, cloud computing allows users to access all the information stored in a third-party data center. This is achieved using minimal resources and minimal supervision.
Historically speaking, cloud computing, as a functional computer model, isnt that new. In fact, the so-called cloud goes all the way back to the 70s and 80s, when ARPANET and CNET, the predecessors of the modern Internet were already hinting at what cloud storage was going to become.
Best Cloud Storage Providers
Now, the most popular cloud storage services are arguably Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive. Each offers similar, but slightly different services, which makes it hard to assess which is the best cloud service. Dropbox offers 2GB free cloud storage, while OneDrive offers 5GB cloud storage for free in their Basic Plan. Google Drives cloud storage free plan offers 15GB. We reviewed the best cloud storage providers, so you can take a look at our assessments below:
The best cloud storage free plans are offered by MEGA (50 GB free cloud storage), pCloud (10 GB of free online storage), and MediaFire (10 GB cloud storage free). We reviewed all 3 providers, so you can find out more about their services from our reviews:
Other good free cloud storage providers areGoogle Drive (15GB for free), Box, (10GB free cloud storage), OneDrive (5GB free cloud storage), Amazon Drive (5GB and unlimited photos with Prime).
There are also other services which are very similar to cloud computing models:
Types of Cloud Storage
Now that weve briefly talked about what is cloud storage, lets take a closer look at the classification of cloud storage service. As the need for cloud-based solutions increased, so has the nature of the service become more complex.
Presently, we can discuss four major types of cloud storage services: private, public, hybrid and mobile cloud storage services.
Private clouds are tailored to accommodate and handle data requests from small home-based companies or larger companies. Typically, this type of cloud service is the best solution for a company that wants to migrate all data by employing the services of a third-party cloud provider.
Alternately, cloud service clients can opt for two types of private clouds. An on-premise cloud uses a server or a machine that can be found in the same building. This server hosts the cloud. The other option is externally-hosted cloud storage. The host server is not in the same building as the company.
On-premise private clouds are easier to supervise. The machine that handles all the requests is in the same building as the company. Thus, the staff can easily check if something goes wrong. However, keep in mind that this type of service is better suited for bigger companies. For smaller businesses, it may be a bit pricey, as the maintenance costs can be quite high.
With public cloud, you wont need to concern about maintenance or data security, since all the data is externalized. Public clouds are easier to access and maintain than private clouds.
Furthermore, anyone having the right credentials can submit access to the cloud, from either a computer terminal connected to the Internet or from other devices such as a tablet or a smartphone.
A hybrid cloud combines some of the features of private and public clouds. One of the greatest advantages of using hybrid clouds is the greater number of customization options. You can add, delete or edit the current applications running on your cloud.
If you wish to share sensitive information, you can always opt for the private cloud feature with better security. Alternately, you can migrate some of your non-sensitive data on the public side of the cloud.
4. Mobile Cloud Storage
Mobile cloud storage allows users to store and manage files, photos, music, and videos from their mobile devices (laptops, tablets and smartphones). Many new mobile phones come with preloaded and configured cloud storage that can be used to back up the devices files. iOS devices use iCloud, Apples mobile cloud storage service. Android-operating devices use Google Drive, while Samsung Galaxy has a partnership with Dropbox. We compared the features of iCloud vs Dropbox, so you can learn more from our extensive review:
Related:ICloud Vs Dropbox Cloud Storage Comparison
5 Advantages of Cloud Storage
Below we highlight 5 obvious benefits of cloud storage:
Companies and individuals using cloud-based services are more likely to cut back on operating costs than those who still use in-house hosting solutions or external hard drives. Furthermore, according to the recent online polls on cloud storage, the average cost of one gigabyte of storage space is around 3 cents.
Consider migrating your data to a third-party cloud storage service to avoid cluttering and to ease operations.
As we mentioned in our introductory remarks, you can access all files, folder, photos, and videos in the cloud from anywhere in the world. Of course, provided you have the necessary credentials and internet access.
One of the greatest advantages of using cloud storage is that youll always have a backup solution in case something goes wrong. If something happens to the files on a computer, you can always access the cloud and retrieve any data that may have been damaged or lost.
If youve committed any changes to one or more files, the cloud will automatically sync the changes across all affiliated devices.
Most cloud storage providers tend to add extra layers of security protocols. They do this in order to prevent your files and folders from either ending up in the wrong hands or from being lost.
5 Disadvantages of Using Cloud Storage
Below we outline some of the weaknesses of cloud storage:
Since cloud-based solutions depend on the speed of your Internet upload and download speed, having a low latency can impede you from accessing the data in real time. Also, there are still many areas around the globe where you cant connect to the Internet.
For a corporation or a small business, cloud storage services are sound solutions. However, for home devices, these costs may be too high to handle.
Although the goal of cloud-based services is to minimize our dependency on physical storage devices, a large number of businesscloud storage services require the presence of a physical hard drive as well.
Customer support is not one of the stronger points of cloud storage vendors. Cloud storage providers usually instruct clients to take a closer look at the FAQ or follow online forums.
After migrating the data to a third-party cloud storage provider, there is a bit of an issue concerning who owns the information. Is it the company, as a client, or the cloud storage provider?
What is cloud storage? Its a new concept in cloud computing models that allows faster information deployment, little management, and little supervision. There are of course advantages and disadvantages for opting for this kind of services. Its up to you to figure out whether its worth it or not.
Nowadays, however, most large cloud storage providers have a diverse offer when it comes to storage plans and pricing. Plans and offers vary from provider to provider. However, most include at least some service packages for home use, as well as cloud storage plans for small businesses or large corporations. What is your experience with cloud storage? Comment below!
- Digital Storage Markets for Media & Entertainment, 2019 to 2024 - Cloud Storage Revenue Will Reach ~$3.7 Billion by 2024 - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2025 - Melanian News - January 20th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market by Key Manufacturers, Regions, Risk Analysis, Industry Share, Driving Factors, Deployment Policy, Innovative Technology,... - January 20th, 2020
- Google takes on AWS and Azure in India with Airtel cloud deal - TechCrunch - January 20th, 2020
- The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 - CNET - January 20th, 2020
- Tips To Choose The Right Provider For Cloud Storage And Backup - TechShout! - January 20th, 2020
- Save 39% off Adobe Creative Cloud: full access to Photoshop, Lightroom and more - TechRadar - January 20th, 2020
- Erwan Menard, Director of Infrastructure and Applications Modernization - AiThority - January 20th, 2020
- How are Business Telecoms Set to Change in 2020? - The Future of Things - January 20th, 2020
- Unboxing the Tolino Page 2 E-Reader - Goodereader - January 20th, 2020
- Smart Toys Market To 2026 Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities and Growth Analysis - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Global Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) Market by 2024: Challenges, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Insights and Overall Outlook &... - January 20th, 2020
- How it Works: Disaster Recovery as a Service With Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services and Faction | StorageReview.com - StorageReview.com - January 17th, 2020
- Cheap Adobe Creative Cloud deal: save nearly 40% on monthly subscriptions - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Were Living in a Subscriptions World. Heres How to Navigate It. - The New York Times - January 17th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Industry 2020-2025 Expected to Grow with a Significant CAGR, Size, Trend, Demand, Analysis, Revenue Insights and Top... - January 17th, 2020
- Is Cloud Computing the Answer to Genomics Big Data... - Labiotech.eu - January 17th, 2020
- Uncovering the Long-Term Cloud Archive Equation - TV Technology - January 17th, 2020
- HPC In 2020: Acquisitions And Mergers As The New Normal - The Next Platform - January 17th, 2020
- Amazon will ask a court to block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud computing contract - Q13 News Seattle - January 14th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market Outlook: Heading to the Clouds - The Market Journal - January 14th, 2020
- Jussie Smollett is probably toast now that Google is handing his data to the special prosecutor - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- The Easiest Way to Switch from Windows 7 to Linux - Lifehacker - January 14th, 2020
- Join us live online today: Find out how to store and manage data in the hybrid-cloud era to boost your business - The Register - January 14th, 2020
- VIEWPOINT: Refocusing as a Digital-First Publication - Georgetown University The Hoya - January 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: Current Top Trends and Technologies - Datamation - January 14th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today Millions of files on Americans found open on Internet, and how to avoid juice-jacking - IT World Canada - January 14th, 2020
- Veeam CTO On Why Veeam Wanted To Be Acquired And What Comes Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - January 14th, 2020
- Top five trends in IT for this year - TechRadar - January 4th, 2020
- Lost messages? Here's how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android and iOS devices - Free Press Journal - January 4th, 2020
- [Case Study] How This Maternity Hospital Chain Moved Its Technology Infrastructure To A Cloud Platform - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- Get $30 off a year of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan - Macworld - January 4th, 2020
- Google Photos: The Best Tips and Tricks - Digital Trends - January 4th, 2020
- There's now a new way to experience your favorite shows thanks to the Astro Ultra Box - Mashable SE Asia - January 4th, 2020
- Age of Innovation: Learning from Infinity and Beyond - Porterville Recorder - January 4th, 2020
- Why your business should be using backup as a service - ITProPortal - January 1st, 2020
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market is Expected to Grow from USD 10.4 Billion in 2019 to USD 34.5 Billion by 2024; Growing at a CAGR of 27.1%. -... - January 1st, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Market Reports Observer - January 1st, 2020
- Red Shark Review of the Year - August 2019 - RedShark News - January 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Fixes for iCloud Drive Not Syncing on Windows 10 Issue - Guiding Tech - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Compute in 2019: Workloads and Options - insideHPC - January 1st, 2020
- PrimeArray Systems, Inc. Offers Optical Disc Migration Services - Ripping Services to Hard Drive, Disc Archiving Services, Disc Data Ripping, and... - January 1st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Data Storage Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 14.3% During the Forecast Period - Yahoo Finance - January 1st, 2020
- 5 Trends That Defined Each Year in the 2010s Decade - Security Sales & Integration - January 1st, 2020
- Strange Cloud Outages that Shook up the Tech World in 2019 - EnterpriseTalk - January 1st, 2020
- What is Amazon Athena? - TechRadar - January 1st, 2020
- The One Best REIT To Own In 2020 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Year in review: Best Android apps of 2019 - The South African - January 1st, 2020
- From Boombox To Wireless Speakers: How Tech Evolved Over The Last Decade - Tech Revolution In 2010s - Economic Times - January 1st, 2020
- From retail to robotics, Jeff Bezos is betting big on technology - ETBrandEquity.com - January 1st, 2020
- Amazon's second act, Microsoft's revival and red-hot IPOs highlighted the decade of the cloud - CNBC - December 25th, 2019
- The 3 biggest storage advances of the 2010s - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Professionals Give 11 Predictions for Cloud's Evolution in 2020 - Database Trends and Applications - December 25th, 2019
- Google Drive vs OneDrive: Which is better? - ValueWalk - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring - Datanami - December 25th, 2019
- VC Investments In Enterprise Tech And AI - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- VMware to use MinIO object storage in Kubernetes embrace - Blocks and Files - December 25th, 2019
- These shockingly low prices on Blink security systems and Amazon Fire TVs only last one day - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- SolarWinds Gears New Backup for Office 365 Solution Toward MSPs - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Disrupting the disruptors: The power of hybrid integration - ITProPortal - December 25th, 2019
- Alexa and Google enabled smart plugs are just $7.50 each in this crazy year-end sale - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- Reds team up with leader in cloud storage Acronis - Liverpool FC - December 19th, 2019
- The 5 Best Deals on Cloud Storage and Backup This Holiday Season - XDA Developers - December 19th, 2019
- Data Stored in the Cloud Needs Backup Heres Why - TechiExpert.com - December 19th, 2019
- Why Prudential's Top Line Is Likely To Shrink Nearly $1 Billion In 2019 - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- Swedish c.bank ends five years of negative rates with hike to zero - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- A Data Leak Exposed The Personal Information Of Over 3,000 Ring Users - BuzzFeed News - December 19th, 2019
- Google Photos vs iCloud Photos: Which One to Use on iPhone - Guiding Tech - December 19th, 2019
- QLD TAFE to rip out legacy Veritas tech in cloud shift - ARNnet - December 19th, 2019
- Endurance International hosted Cloudbazaar 2019 the premier event for cloud, domains and web hosting - ETCIO.com - December 19th, 2019
- The three Cs of Actifio 10c: Clouds, containers and copy data - Blocks and Files - December 19th, 2019
- AWS Outposts Is GA. Now What? - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 19th, 2019
- Experts Share Their 2020 Backup and Disaster Recovery Predictions - Solutions Review - December 19th, 2019
- Amazon, AWS and antitrust: How tough could US lawmakers be on the tech titan? - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Gateways For File-Based Applications And IEDM Announcements - Forbes - December 17th, 2019
- Denodo Platform Now Available on the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace Providing Realtime Data Delivery Through Data Virtualization - MarTech Series - December 17th, 2019
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: Future Innovation Ways That, Growth & Profit Analysis, Forecast By 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 17th, 2019
- Global Cloud Storage Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corporation, EMC Corporation Amazon Web Services Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc.... - December 17th, 2019
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market Forecasts to 2024: A $34.5 Billion Opportunity, Driven by Massive Growth in Data Volumes & Increasing Adoption of... - December 17th, 2019
- How the Home Office's Immigration Technology department reduced its cloud costs by 40% - GOV.UK - December 17th, 2019