Beyond a Single Server
Cloud hosting is the hot darling in the web hosting space right now. This hosting category has been around for a while, but recently has really started to gain traction, even among smaller businesses. Cloud hostingwhich spreads your site across multiple serversis the most unique of all hosting types, as it lets you do many things that you could not do with the standard shared, virtual private server (VPS), dedicated, or WordPress hosting options. Let's explore those features.
Traditional hosting sees your website leverage the power of one particular server's CPU, RAM, storage, and data transfers. For example, shared web hosting has your website share resources with other sites that are also hosted exclusively on one server. The result is many annoying limitations in terms of power, and the inability to handle sharp traffic surges. For better service, you can pay for a virtual private server, or even a dedicated server of varying power. In all these case, you're basically relying on one server, and that's it. Cloud hosting, however, kicks that single-server hosting model to the curb in a marvelous manner. With cloud hosting, your website draws resources from multiple servers.
See How We Test Web Hosting Services
Cloud hosting's use of multiple servers gives it certain advantages over traditional hosting. For example, if your website experiences a sudden traffic spike, it can pull resources from another server to prevent slow page loads or, worse, the site going down. In addition, cloud hosting makes it incredibly simple for your to scale resources up or down, as needed.
Note that there are different types of cloud hosting. Traditional web hosts, such as DreamHost and HostGator, offer cloud hosting packages that are priced similarly as their other web hosting packages (typically in the Shared or VPS range). These small business-friendly cloud hosting solutions are what we're primarily focused on in this roundup.
Enterprise-level, infrastructure-as-a-service cloud hosting from the likes of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace are also available. Though these are technically cloud hosting services, they are not what's highlighted here. For more on that flavor of expansive (and potentially more expensive!) cloud hosting, please visit our story about the best infrastructure-as-a-service solutions.
The chart above focuses on the web hosts that boast the best cloud hosting plans of all the services we've reviewed. Note that we are still in the process of examining cloud hosting offerings as this is a new categorywe're definitely going to be testing more services in the coming months. Still, with the reviews we've done so far and lots of research, we've discovered what you should look for in a cloud hosting service.
Many cloud web hosts offer unlimited monthly data transfers, so other factors may help you decide which service is best for your business. That said, if you're interested in "unlimited" anything, no matter if it's data or storage, be sure to read the tiny print to make sure that there aren't any surprises. In other words, make sure your definition of unlimited matches the hosting service's definition. They can be two very different things.
Speaking of storage, we've discovered that cloud hosts typically offer hard drives or solid-state drives that range between 100GB and 200GB in size. That said, you'll occasionally discover a web host that boasts unlimited storage. (Again, the usual caveats apply with regards to "unlimited" anything.) Solid-state drives are typically faster than their hard-drive-based counterparts, but are typically smaller in terms of storage capacity. If you're looking for sheer volume, a traditional hard drive is the way to go.
When it comes to server operating systems, Linux is typically the default option. Still, some services offer Windows hosting, too. If you have specific server-side applications that require Windows, such as SQL Server or a custom application written in .NET, then you need to make sure your web host has Windows hosting.
You'll also want a web host with responsive 24/7 customer support. Forums, knowledge bases, and tutorials are useful tools, but there's nothing like getting another human being on the horn (or at least in a web chat) when problems arise.
Security is of utmost importance, too. If your goal is to sell products or services, you need to look into Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS). Those technologies encrypt the data that travel's between a customer's computer and your company's servers to safeguard the information from people with ill intentions.
In each of our reviews, we devote an entire section to uptime, it's so important. Simply put, if your site is down, clients or customers will be unable to find your business or access your products or services. They may find what they're looking for elsewhere, and never return. At the very least, customers will be annoyed, and it won't help their image of your business. Neither is a good outcome.
Three years ago, we added formal uptime monitoring to our review process, and the results show that most web hosts do an excellent job of keeping their sites up and running. If they don't, they suffer for it in our rankings. Even if they get everything else right, sites with uptime problems aren't eligible for top scores. All services suffer ups and downs, sometimes for reasons beyond their control. Those sites that fail to address the problem are penalized accordingly.
If you're ready to find a great web hosting service, click the links below to read our in-depth reviews of the biggest and best names in the space. If you're just getting started with web hosting, make sure to check out our primer, How to Create a Website, and How to Register a Domain Name.
Pros: A variety of feature-packed hosting plans. Excellent shared hosting offering. Good for novice webmasters. Useful site-building software. Good customer service. Outstanding uptime.
Cons: No Windows-based VPS hosting.
Bottom Line: HostGator is an excellent web hosting service that's simple to use and offers an array of useful plans for consumers and small businesses. It's our top pick for shared web hosting and for novice webmasters in general.
Pros: Strong security features. Extensive domain-management tools. Excellent cloud hosting offerings. Unlimited data transfers per month. Generous money-back guarantee.
Cons: No Windows-based servers. No true reseller hosting plans. No telephone support.
Bottom Line: DreamHost boasts outstanding features that should satisfy most expert users, and a new easy website builder tool makes the web host more welcoming to newbies as well.
Pros: Terrific uptime in testing. Excellent dedicated, reseller, and VPS hosting plans. Good customer service. Minecraft server hosting.
Cons: Not every plan has a Windows server option.
Bottom Line: Hostwinds is an excellent web hosting service that has the tools you need for building attractive, functional websites. It's a top choice overall, and VPS and reseller hosting plans are particularly strong.
Pros: Excellent dedicated, VPS, cloud, and reseller packages. Prorated VPS plans. High-end specs. Terrific customer service and uptime in testing.
Cons: Lacks shared hosting plans. Expensive.
Bottom Line: Liquid Web is expensive and lacks shared Web hosting, but it's a flexible, feature-packed online host with outstanding customer service.
Pros: Excellent customer support. Dependable uptime in testing. Offers basic and advanced hosting packages. Linux- or Windows-based servers. Easy-to-use website creation tools.
Cons: Lacks reseller hosting plans. Relatively skimpy storage options.
Bottom Line: Web hosting service 1&1 Ionos has rich website-creation tools and excellent customer support options. It's particularly good at large-scale cloud hosting, for which it wins an Editors' Choice.
Pros: Good uptime in testing. Integrates with CloudFlare for improved performance and security. Free SSL certificate with all plans. Many useful free services included. Lets customers choose server locations. Excellent customer service.
Cons: Plans don't offer a lot of storage. No month-to-month shared hosting plans. No Windows server options.
Bottom Line: SiteGround offers strong uptime and customer support, though you'll need to look elsewhere for VPS servers, Windows servers, or plans offering lots of storage.
Pros: Very easy to set up. Excellent up-time. Top-notch 24/7 web-based customer service. Supports numerous apps. Several flexible account tiers. Pay-as-you-go plans. Can try service for free before signing up.
Cons: No domain registration option. Email costs extra. Phone-based customer support needs work.
Bottom Line: Cloudways is a web hosting service with both affordable and powerful architecture, but there's no option for domain registration, and email costs extra.
Pros: Robust hosting packages, particularly WordPress. Excellent customer service. Terrific uptime. Good money-back refund plan.
Cons: Not every plan has a Windows server option. Relatively expensive.
Bottom Line: Packed with features, A2 is a web hosting service that's more than worthy of being the foundation for your website, especially if you're looking to use WordPress.
Pros: Stellar uptime. Excellent dedicated hosting plans. Good customer service. Offers a choice of Linux or Windows servers.
Cons: Lacks unlimited email with Windows accounts. No month-to-month shared hosting plans.
Bottom Line: AccuWeb Hosting has many useful features, including terrific uptime, customer service, and server options, but its excellent dedicated hosting plans are where this web host truly excels.
Pros: A wide array of hosting types. Strong uptime. Excellent customer service.
Cons: No Windows-based servers.
Bottom Line: Web hosting service FatCow is stable in our testing and has top-notch support. It's particularly good at shared and WordPress hosting.
See the article here:
The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2019 | PCMag.com
- GlobalOutlook enabling SMBs to be Productive during COVID-19 with its Fanatic Support - PR Newswire India - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - MyHostNews.com - August 18th, 2020
- Nuance Expands Availability of Cloud-Based Dragon Professional Anywhere Solution - Yahoo Finance - August 18th, 2020
- API integration of microservices needs more than a service mesh - Diginomica - August 18th, 2020
- Cloud Repatriation: Why It's More Than 'Just' Public Cloud Retreat - ITPro Today - August 18th, 2020
- Geotab Achieves FedRAMP Authorization for Its Cloud-Based Telematics Platform - Business Wire - August 18th, 2020
- Multi-Vital Ambulatory Monitor for COVID-19 Patients Launches in the US - - HIT Consultant - August 18th, 2020
- Technology Management Concepts Honored as a 'Top 100 VAR' for the 'Bob Scott's Top VAR 100' & the 'AccountingToday 2020 VAR 100' Lists - PR Web - August 18th, 2020
- Huawei is the main sponsor of the Cloud 2020 Conference - MyBroadband - August 18th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2020| Global Share, Comprehensive Analysis, Size, Covid-19 Analysis, Future Estimations and Key Industry Segments Poised... - August 18th, 2020
- In Contrast to 'Permanent Remote Work,' VMware Messaging Touts 'Return-to-Office' - Virtualization Review - August 18th, 2020
- New Island provides full ITSM capabilities from AWS with locally hosted BMC Helix - Intelligent CIO Africa - August 18th, 2020
- IT infrastructure that's agile - ITWeb - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020