The public launch of Ever Brighter, the University of Miamis Campaign for Our Next Century, was celebrated Friday evening during a series of events on the Coral Gables Campus.
There was palpable excitement in the air as attendees at Fridays Homecoming 2021 festivities added sticky notes to a temporary art installation on display on the Edward T. Foote II University Green, sharing what it means to be part of the ever stronger, ever bolder, ever brighter University of Miami.
Formally announced earlier in the week, the University of Miami publicly celebrated the launch of its most ambitious fundraising campaign in the schools historyEver Brighter: The University of Miamis Campaign for Our Next Century.
The University has already raised more than $1.6 billion toward the $2.5 billion campaign goal.
During the traditional Hurricane Howl festivities that feature the boat burning on Lake Osceola and a Homecoming fireworks display over the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the residential colleges surrounding the lake, Ever Brighter, the original campaign song written by Rey Sanchez, a professor in the Frost School of Music, was performed on the Lakeside Patio Stage by Jon Secada, multiple Grammy Award-winning recording artist and double-alumnus. He was joined by students from the Frost School.
For almost a century, the University of Miami has been a beacon of hope and opportunity for South Florida, the nation, and the world, said Stuart Miller, Lennar Corporation executive chairman, University trustee, and chair of the UHealth Board of Directors who is serving as chair of the Ever Brighter campaign.
As we approach our centennial, we stand ready to be an ever-greater force for good to leverage our invincible spirit in pursuit of new horizons, he said, adding that the campaign is an investment in our futurein the success of our students, the talent of our faculty, the boldness of our research, the excellence of our patient care, and our service to the community.
Students, alumni, and other members of the University community proudly sang the Alma Mater as the boat burning and dazzling fireworks show concluded.
Earlier in the day, tents lined the Foote University Green for the Festival on the Foote Green, where alumni, students, and visitors had the chance to explore interactive displays that showcased the unique strengths and experiences of the Universitys schools, colleges, and units.
At one of the tents, Katarzyna Pasternak, a first-year Ph.D. student studying computer science with a focus on robotics, was introducing festivalgoers to a two-foot-tall autonomous, programmable humanoid robot that has been trained to play soccer by the RoboCanes lab.
There are so many technologies being researched and developed by our labs in [the Department of] Computer Science, said Pasternak, who also earned her bachelors and masters degrees from the University. Philanthropic investments to advance research for our future are important, she added.
The celebrations included performances by a handful of ensembles from the Frost School of Music, including Caf Con Leche: The Frost Latin Songwriters Ensemble, Sunshine State: The Frost Country Ensemble, the American Music Ensemble, and the Frost Band of the Hour, as well as the spirit squads.
As we celebrate this evening, we honor the past that brought the U to this point and look forward with great excitement and anticipation toward our bright future, President Julio Frenk said at the festival. This is our moment, as we look toward our second 100 years, to empower the University to be better, stronger, and bolder.
View some of the celebration photos.
Visit the campaigns websiteEver Brighter: The Campaign for Our Next Centuryfor more information.
Read more from the original source:
- Eckerd computer science professors 'think outside' to boost wildlife research - Eckerd College News - January 16th, 2022
- CAMEO Project Manager, UCD School of Computer Science job with UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (UCD) | 277887 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 16th, 2022
- Could artificial intelligence help predict Louisiana floods better? This LSU prof thinks so. - The Advocate - January 16th, 2022
- CRCs appointed at UBC Science in ecology, computer science, and astrophysics - UBC Faculty of Science - January 16th, 2022
- The Lies that Powered the Invention of Pong - IEEE Spectrum - January 16th, 2022
- Maryland Today | Two Terps Named 2022 Churchill Scholars - Maryland Today - January 16th, 2022
- "Bosom peril" is not "breast cancer": How weird computer-generated phrases help researchers find scientific publishing fraud -... - January 16th, 2022
- At IITs, Computer Science students offered job packages worth crores - The Indian Express - January 16th, 2022
- Robotic assistive device will lend a helping hand to infants with movement difficulties - UC Riverside - January 16th, 2022
- Unicorn startups: The education of 3 business leaders - Study International News - January 16th, 2022
- Computer Science for Fun - cs4fn: HOME - January 6th, 2022
- Redirect your career path in 2022 with this $20 computer science training bundle - PCWorld - January 6th, 2022
- Making computation come alive | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology - MIT News - January 6th, 2022
- International recognition for Southampton Electronics and Computer Science graduate - University of Southampton - January 6th, 2022
- Lior Cole Is The Model Combining Artificial Intelligence With Religion - British Vogue - January 6th, 2022
- UNM's VolCAN team makes history in Canary Islands - UNM Newsroom - January 6th, 2022
- FIRST Robotics Competition inspires a new wave of local talent in information technology - News 5 Cleveland - January 6th, 2022
- The convergence of deep neural networks and immunotherapy - TechCrunch - January 6th, 2022
- Machine and Human Factors in Misinformation Management - Information Processing and Management Conference - Knovel - January 6th, 2022
- EeroQ Chooses the Terminal in Chicago for 9,600 Square Foot Quantum Computing Lab - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2022
- A Year After the Capitol Insurrection, Faith in Democracy Wanes - News @ Northeastern - News@Northeastern - January 6th, 2022
- Do the Legal Rules Governing the Confidentiality of Cyber Incident Response Undermine Cybersecurity? - Lawfare - January 6th, 2022
- Mr. Jeroen Tas Joins Zylorion as a Strategic Advisor and Observer to the Board of Directors - PRNewswire - January 6th, 2022
- Kerstin Perez is searching the cosmos for signs of dark matter - MIT News - January 2nd, 2022
- The age of hyper-accelerated AI adoption | Ctech - CTech - January 2nd, 2022
- 2 Cryptocurrencies That Could Outpace Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - January 2nd, 2022
- Places You're Most Likely to Catch Omicron Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 2nd, 2022
- Children to be empowered with future skills - The News International - January 2nd, 2022
- AI Weekly: AI prosecutors and pong-playing neurons closed out 2021 - VentureBeat - December 31st, 2021
- Places "Swarming" With COVID, Say Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2021
- Global economy and development in 2021: What we learned in Brookings Global - Brookings Institution - December 31st, 2021
- Book Review: Artificial Intelligence and Computing Logic- Cognitive Technology for AI Business Analytics - Analytics Insight - December 31st, 2021
- Have a better 2022 with these tech resolutions - MIT Technology Review - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: Connecticut's hottest takes of 2021 - CT Insider - December 31st, 2021
- Machines that see the world more like humans do - Big Think - December 31st, 2021
- 10 Inspiring LGBTQIA Technology Executives And Their Stories - Forbes - December 31st, 2021
- BYU graduate student spearheads the creation of 3D campus model - Daily Herald - December 31st, 2021
- Count down the top 10 Futurity posts of 2021 - Futurity: Research News - December 31st, 2021
- Professor, Level E in Computer Science job with GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY | 275769 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- 21 Interesting Knox Students and Alumni We Met in 2021 - Knox College - December 22nd, 2021
- Undergraduate finds room to explore business, computer science, and an American music icon - University of Rochester - December 22nd, 2021
- These Are the Best Online Courses You Can Take - gearpatrol.com - December 22nd, 2021
- YU's Registration Process Was Flawed. One Student Decided To Fix That. - The Commentator - The Commentator - December 22nd, 2021
- UWO's new cybersecurity center offers experience with real-world cyber threats - UW Oshkosh Today - UW Oshkosh Today - December 22nd, 2021
- Creating Text Out of Thin Air - IEEE Spectrum - December 22nd, 2021
- Ethics and society review: Ethics reflection as a precondition to research funding - pnas.org - December 22nd, 2021
- Launching your computer science career in the Air Force - ZDNet - December 20th, 2021
- Multi-million pound investment to keep Southampton at forefront of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence | Electronics and Computer Science |... - December 20th, 2021
- Editorial: OU-Tulsa computer science expansion will have long-term payoffs - Tulsa World - December 20th, 2021
- Lecturer in Computer Science, NLP/ML job with ROYAL HOLLOWAY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 275275 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- Cornell Tech celebrates 10th anniversary of winning NYC competition | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - December 20th, 2021
- New UW-Eau Claire grad 'pays it forward,' works to make computer science field more equitable and inclusive - University of Wisconsin System - December 20th, 2021
- Many ignored their fitness during COVID. So this CT teen made an award-winning app to encourage healthy habits. - Darien Times - December 20th, 2021
- Graduate learns the value of time spent with others - UNM Newsroom - December 20th, 2021
- Best cybersecurity schools and programs - ZDNet - December 20th, 2021
- Two SSIE PhD candidates explore their futures at faculty diversity program | Binghamton News - Binghamton University - December 20th, 2021
- Accelerating Discovery: Optimizing Workflows to Advance the Use of AI for Science - HPCwire - December 20th, 2021
- Last of UCF Quadruplets Graduates Within same year as Siblings - UCF - December 20th, 2021
- Tracy Camp Named Computing Research Association Executive Director - PRNewswire - December 20th, 2021
- Music based brain-computer interfaces an interview with Stefan Ehrlich and Kat Agres - EveryONE - PLoS Blogs - December 20th, 2021
- Morning Lookout: One eye on the weather, integrating computer science, and surf equity - Lookout Santa Cruz - December 14th, 2021
- UMass Amherst to Offer Scholarships to 40 Students, Boosting Diversity in Data Science - UMass News and Media Relations - December 14th, 2021
- Considering the Why and Not Just the How of Computer Science - Bowdoin News - December 14th, 2021
- Maryland Today | $4.75M Gift Establishes Brin Mathematics Research - Maryland Today - December 14th, 2021
- Texas A&M works to shape the next generation of computer scientists - KAGSTV.com - December 14th, 2021
- $7 million gift from the Shiv Nadar Foundation bolsters undergraduate research and women in EECS - MIT News - December 14th, 2021
- UCF Researchers Ethanol Fuel Cells Offer New Alternative to Power Cars, Technology - UCF - December 14th, 2021
- Chantel Parnell: Working to Diversify Tech - California Teachers Association - December 14th, 2021
- Decoding the science of coding in just one hour - CBS46 News Atlanta - December 14th, 2021
- Kronos Ransomware Update: Estimated Time To Be Fixed, Efforts of UKG's Clients, and Other New Details - Tech Times - December 14th, 2021
- Sant Announces Expansion Of Ventures Team With The Addition Of Auriel August, MD, Ashley Seehusen, and Michael Gutbrod - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2021
- UW-Green Bay's Rising Phoenix Program Expands with Computer Science Pathway for Students Across the Region - Inside UW-Green Bay News - UWGB - December 8th, 2021
- Machines that see the world more like humans do - MIT News - December 8th, 2021
- Apple, Boys & Girls Clubs team up to offer coding opportunities to kids, teens - Apple Newsroom - December 8th, 2021
- UCF Professor Greg Welch Named to the National Academy of Inventors - UCF - December 8th, 2021
- SAP : Helping to Close the Computer Science Education Disparity - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Women of the Well House supports new campus programs: Indiana University Kokomo - IUK Newsroom - December 3rd, 2021
- Diving Into The Strange World Of Xenobots - Science Friday - December 3rd, 2021
- Silicon Valley beckoned, but he went home to Delaware - MIT News - December 3rd, 2021
- Two UB faculty receive NSF funding to study social media in disaster response - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at... - December 3rd, 2021