Written by Alifiya Khan | Pune | Updated: April 18, 2017 6:55 am Over 1,000 Zila Parishad schools in Dhule district of Maharashtra have turned digital.
An LCD projector worth Rs 78,000, a Lenovo laptop and Wi-Fi-enabled classrooms are the latest additions to this Marathi-medium government school at Dhekusim, a village of 1,800 people in Jalgaons Ambaner taluka, some 360 km northeast of Mumbai.
Suresh Patil, headmaster of the zila parishad school, says the changes, including a 2,000-square-foot compound wall and revamped classrooms, came not through government intervention but from funds raised from villagers. When we reached out to people and sought help to improve the school, the villagers donated about Rs 5.5 lakh. As of today, at least 10 students have left private schools to join our school. Our total number of students has gone up from 42 to 78, Patil says.
This isnt an isolated story in Maharashtra. Data available with the Maharashtra State Council of Education Research and Training (MSCERT) shows that between July 2015 and December 2016, school teachers in the state managed to raise a whopping Rs 216 crore from the public funds that have been utilised for revamping classrooms, building new toilets and on digital initiatives, among others. According to the MSCERT data, Ahmednagar district has ensured the maximum public participation, having raised over Rs 30 crore, followed by Pune (Rs 19.82 crore), Solapur (19.03 crore), Aurangabad (15.59 crore) and Nashik (14.80 crore).
So what inspired these Maharashtra government schools to seek funds? Nand Kumar, principal secretary, state education department, says one of the reasons could be the Pragat Shaikshanik programme rolled out by the state government two years ago.
One of the components of the programme was the compulsory reporting of public participation. Until now, schools didnt actively seek outside funds. But now, since the programme documents public participation, teachers have started actively reaching out to the community, encouraging them to contribute and also seeking corporate help. There has also been an overall improvement in the quality of education, reflected in many recent surveys, due to which villagers have started investing in zila parishad schools, he says.
While in most districts, the change is being brought about by the community as a whole, Dhule district, said to be the first in the state to have 100 per cent digital classrooms in its government schools, might owe its transformation to a 35-year-old investment banker, Harshal Vibhandik.
I live in New York and two years ago, I came back to my hometown in Dhule. I had Rs 9 lakh with me and after visiting a few schools, I decided to digitise nine of them. But then, villagers wanted to pitch in too and that is when the 70:30 funding idea came to me, with villagers raising the majority of the money, Vibhandik says.
An idea that started off with nine schools soon covered all 1,103 zila parishad schools of Dhule with the bankers friends from abroad, donors, villagers, local NGOs all pitching in.
Vibhandik, who is working from India for now, says he also travels to other districts. People are investing in the idea, villagers are investing in it. It is amazing to see the change, says Vibhandik.
While public participation has cut down on the long wait for government funds and elevated the image of zila parishad schools, it has had an unexpected outcome the autonomy it provides to teachers to secure funds has led to some innovative methods.
At the Kardelwadi zila parishad school in Punes Shirur taluka, every donated item from the table fan to even blackboard dusters has the name of the sponsor. Primary school teachers Dattatrey and Bebinanda Sakat say they figured out that the practice encourages more people to donate. It gives them a sense of fulfillment and it doesnt really take anything from us. So we started writing the names of the donors. Now for almost anything we need, we just turn to the villagers and they get it for us instantly. So from computers to science labs, our small village school with less than 100 students has almost everything that a big city school would. This truly is a peoples movement for education, says Bebinanda.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now
- State to match crowdfunding money raised to help restaurant recovery from pandemic - FOX 2 Detroit - June 17th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Crowd Funding Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025 Forecasts -... - June 17th, 2020
- Funding defamation and privacy proceedings - are there still options? - Lexology - June 17th, 2020
- Wallingford RFC raise money to replace kit after it was stolen by thieves - Oxford Mail - June 17th, 2020
- How Crowdfunding platforms help businesses cushion the effects of the COVID-19 crisis - Born2Invest - June 8th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Crowd Funding 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 29th, 2020
- Milagrow ventures into crowdfunding with launch of massaging robot Wheeme 2020 - Economic Times - May 25th, 2020
- Hotel resorts to crowd funding to stay afloat - Daily Business - April 21st, 2020
- Global Crowd Funding Market: Which companies will have a strong foothold? - Feed Road - March 2nd, 2020
- Crowd Funding Market to Witness Slow Growth Owing to Unfavorable Government Policies in 2016 2022 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 16th, 2020
- How the sands have shifted on Awaroa, 'New Zealand's beach' - Stuff.co.nz - February 16th, 2020
- Online crowdfunding platform market was estimated to be US$ 456.51 Mn in 2018 and is expected to reach US$ 752.56 Mn by 2027 growing at a CAGR of 5.2%... - February 14th, 2020
- Online Crowdfunding Platform Market Estimated to be US$ 456.51 Mn in 2018 and is Expected to Reach US$ 752.56 Mn by 2027 Growing at a CAGR of 5.2%... - February 1st, 2020
- Crowdfunding platforms probably wont replace investment banks, but they will shake things up a bit - Stockhead - February 1st, 2020
- Hundreds of Canadian transplant patients crowd fund to cover costs, study says - National Post - January 12th, 2020
- Now, BBMP looking at CSR to rejuvenate lakes - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Crowd funding initiative for government school - The Hindu - December 10th, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE: Intergreatme's over R32m crowdfund - reduced to R6m after 'suspect pledges' - Ventureburn - December 10th, 2019
- Crowd Funding Market 2025: Topmost manufacturers With Size, Regions, Types, Major Drivers, Profits - BoundWatch - December 10th, 2019
- Crowd Funding Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - 101Newsindustry - December 7th, 2019
- Parents of Beatriz Farmer-Maia raise over 30000 to fund her treatment to beat childhood cancer - Islington Gazette - November 19th, 2019
- How to Crowdfund (with Pictures) - wikiHow - June 7th, 2018
- Property Crowd Funding - The Magic of Modern Day Investing - HuffPost - September 4th, 2017
- Getting Crowdfunding Fundamentals Down to A Science In Advance Of Campaign Key To Success - HuffPost - August 28th, 2017
- Dreamhost Crowd-Funding Legal Action Against DOJ - eWeek - August 22nd, 2017
- Buy a share in a brewery: Pozible launches equity crowd-funding site Birchal - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Woman who contracted E.Coli returns home from Turkey after crowd funding appeal - Glasgow Live - July 9th, 2017
- Africa's first impact-focused equity crowd funding portal founder ... - CNBCAfrica.com - July 5th, 2017
- Crowd funding campaign to save a two-year-old kid - Times of India - July 2nd, 2017
- Arrowtown musician Holly Arrowsmith crowd funding new album - The Southland Times - June 26th, 2017
- Ex-Googler Lina Gantar launches crowd funding agency in Manchester - Manchester Evening News - June 25th, 2017
- Crowd funding could be used to buy the long-vacant Bell Building downtown - Wyoming Tribune - June 24th, 2017
- Wyo. Sec of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 16th, 2017
- Wyo. Sect'y of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 14th, 2017
- Where is the crowd-funding for the destitute? - News24 - June 9th, 2017
- Florida education news: #HB7069, teacher diversity, crowd funding and more - Tampabay.com (blog) - June 5th, 2017
- BBB Has Advice Before You Contribute To A Crowd Funding Site - Newstalkkgvo - June 2nd, 2017
- Catapooolt all set to Catapult Crowdfunding in India with an Asian Record - Bizztor (press release) (blog) - May 19th, 2017
- Should you invest in Bitcoins, crowd funding, P2P lending? - Economic Times - May 15th, 2017
- Cork Foundation's Live Crowd Funding event - The Avondhu Press (press release) - May 6th, 2017
- Will crowdfunding get a synthetic biology win? - PLoS Blogs (blog) - May 3rd, 2017
- Impact Guru, GlobalGiving tie-up to scale crowd funding in India - Daily News & Analysis - May 2nd, 2017
- Plastc Card Is Cancelled: The Dangers Of Crowd Funding Tech - Forbes - April 29th, 2017
- Can crowd funding help scale up solar power for Africa's poor? - The Standard (press release) - April 25th, 2017
- Donate safely: Avoiding crowd funding scams - KXLY Spokane - April 20th, 2017
- Crowdfunding: affordable bee surveillance for hive health - Scoop.co.nz (press release) - March 29th, 2017
- Crowd funding: SECP warns of false scheme - The Express Tribune - March 28th, 2017
- Arsenal fan plots sensational crowdfunding campaign to BUY the club from owner Stan Kroenke - The Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- How to make crowdfunding work for you - Buffalo Business First - February 13th, 2017
- Crowd funding | ASIC's MoneySmart - September 17th, 2016
- Crowd Funding - October 23rd, 2015
- Crowdfunding - P2P Foundation - October 23rd, 2015
- Comparison of crowdfunding services - Wikipedia, the free ... - September 5th, 2015
- Fundraising Script,Crowd Funding Script,Crowdfunding ... - August 14th, 2015
- The Life Chest: Crowd Funding Video - Video - May 5th, 2015
- THIS TOKYO #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS LOVE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS PSYCHIC #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS SUPER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS ROADHOUSE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS BEYOND #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS HEARTBREAKER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS WWW #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS GENUINE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- True Colours Crowd funding Campaign - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS NEW YORK 2015 #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Armitage Dinosaur - crowd-funding video - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Who benefits from crowd funding? - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- The Man Who Found His Freedom - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Crowd Funding proof V1 - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- TEN FOOT TONE - New CD - TASTE GOOD - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- One Spark/Tamarin Fruits - Video - May 1st, 2015
- Crowd Funding Video- BROKEN ROAD (Short Film) - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Crowd Funding video San Jose Bike Clinic - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Domestic Violence & Abuse Help Break the Cycle - Seed the Books Crowd Funding Campaign - Video - April 28th, 2015
- LEARN IT | BUILD IT | MANAGE IT: FINANCING - Crowd Funding - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Crowd Funding- Habitat for Humanity Charity Trip to Cebu in June 2015 - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Annalakshmi on the swan Crowd funding 14 04 15 WM - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Beat Buddy Inside Story - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Engineers Corset Crowd Funding Video - Video - April 26th, 2015