ONE OF Wall Street's top dogs has taken aim at Bitcoin despite the digital currency's soaring price.
According to CNBC, JPMorgan Chase boss and outspoken crypto critic Jamie Dimon branded Bitcoin "worthless" at an event on Monday.
The investment banking behemoth told a virtual audience over video call that he saw no future for the fledging crypto market.
"I personally think that bitcoin is worthless," Dimon said during the Institute of International Finance event.
The 65-year-old added that, while he was sceptical of cryptocurrencies, JPMorgan clients were still free to invest in them.
"I dont want to be a spokesperson I dont care. It makes no difference to me, he said.
"Our clients are adults. They disagree. Thats what makes markets.
"So, if they want to have access to buy yourself bitcoin, we cant custody it but we can give them legitimate, as clean as possible, access."
Bitcoin is currently going through a golden period after a tough spring. The cryptocurrency's value peaked at 47,000 in April before a sharp decline.
However, it has been steadily climbing ever since, currently sitting around the 41,000 mark close to an all-time high.
Dimon has taken jabs at cryptocurrencies in the past.
Recently, he told Axios CEO Jim VandeHei that bitcoin has no intrinsic value.
And while he thinks bitcoin will be around long term, "Ive always believed itll be made illegal someplace, like China made it illegal, so I think its a little bit of fools gold."
Dimon also told VandeHei that he thinks "regulators are going to regulate the hell out of it."
It's been a rocky few weeks for Bitcoin.
Last week, the Biden administration unveiled sanctions against a cryptocurrency exchange over its alleged role in enabling illegal payments from ransomware attacks.
The Treasury Department accused Suex of facilitating transactions involving illicit proceeds for at least eight ransomware variants.
It's the first such move against a virtual currency exchange over ransomware activity.
"Exchanges like Suex are critical to attackers' ability to extract profits from ransomware attackers," Treasury Deputy Secretary Wally Adeyemo said.
The action "is a signal of our intention to expose and disrupt the illicit infrastructure using these attacks."
It came after President Biden announced that the U.S. will bring together 30 countries to stop "the illicit use of cryptocurrency."
He's not the only US president to criticise the currency.
Earlier this year, former president Donald Trump called Bitcoin a "scam against the dollar."
Speaking to Fox Business in June, he expressed concerns that the cryptocurrency is threatening the value of the US dollar.
"Bitcoin, it just seems like a scam," Mr Trump said. "I don't like it because it's another currency competing against the dollar."
In other news, President Joe Biden is weighing up appointing a cryptocurrency despot to handle Bitcoin and its rivals.
Crypto investors weresent into paniclast month after a data provider showed a 90 per cent plunge in Bitcoin's value.
Theprice of Bitcoin rocketedin July following claims Amazon could start accepting the cryptocurrency as payment by the end of the year.
And, nine apps have had to beremoved from the Google PlayStore after they were caught stealing Facebook passwords.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the original post:
Bitcoin slammed as WORTHLESS by JPMorgan boss as cryptocurrency price spikes... - The Sun
- I teach cryptocurrency at NYU. Here are 3 things crypto investors should know - MarketWatch - October 14th, 2021
- What is the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - October 14th, 2021
- India Has Highest Number of Cryptocurrency Owners in the World at Over 10 Crore: Report - Gadgets 360 - October 14th, 2021
- Students hop on to the cryptocurrency bandwagon - Economic Times - October 14th, 2021
- Critical Flaw in OpenSea Could Have Let Hackers Steal Cryptocurrency From Wallets - The Hacker News - October 14th, 2021
- Philip Hammond adds cryptocurrency role to post-Treasury jobs list - The Guardian - October 14th, 2021
- Is It Safe for Retirees to Buy Cryptocurrency? - The Motley Fool - October 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces back above $55,000, but trader has his eye on two other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - October 8th, 2021
- That time cryptocurrency proved people will buy anything - Al Jazeera English - October 8th, 2021
- US Department of Justice creates cryptocurrency enforcement unit - The Verge - October 8th, 2021
- SHIB coin: why is the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency surging? - Fast Company - October 8th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum gain up to 5% - Economic Times - October 8th, 2021
- CryptocurrencyPossible Similarities to the Dot-Com Bubble - Physician's Weekly - October 8th, 2021
- Here's a Top Cryptocurrency Stock to Buy Now - The Motley Fool - October 8th, 2021
- IMF warns of global risks from unregulated cryptocurrency boom - The Guardian - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Basics: What's the Difference Between Digital Coins and Tokens? - InvestorsObserver - October 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Other Cryptocurrencies Have Bounced Back: Latest News - TheStreet - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on October 8: Bitcoin down more than 3% - Moneycontrol - October 8th, 2021
- HelbizCoin cryptocurrency lawsuit is revived - Reuters - October 8th, 2021
- All You Needed to Know About Cryptocurrency in Greece - Greek Reporter - October 8th, 2021
- Former Senate candidate accused of threatening man with gun over cryptocurrency - The Boston Globe - October 8th, 2021
- Elon Musk says cryptocurrency regulators should 'do nothing' and 'let it fly' - Fox Business - September 30th, 2021
- First cryptocurrency fund approved in Switzerland - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2021
- Cardano is no longer the worlds third largest cryptocurrency - Business Insider India - September 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Profit booking pushes prices lower, Ethereum tanks over 5% - Economic Times - September 30th, 2021
- Do You Need To Pay Income Tax On Gains From Cryptocurrency? - NDTV Profit - September 30th, 2021
- Europe is now the world's cryptocurrency capital as China's Bitcoin bans start to bite - Euronews - September 30th, 2021
- The World Needs Cryptocurrency | Opinion - Newsweek - September 30th, 2021
- Senators aim to increase oversight of cryptocurrency mining with new bill | TheHill - The Hill - September 30th, 2021
- UK driving cryptocurrency adoption in Europe with $170 billion in activity for '20-'21 - ZDNet - September 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency 'industry has so much potential' what you need to know about crypto - Express - September 30th, 2021
- Litecoin price jumped 20 percent after hoax linked the cryptocurrency to Walmart - The Verge - September 15th, 2021
- Coinbase, the largest crypto exchange in the US, faces a potential SEC investigation - Vox.com - September 15th, 2021
- No, Walmart is not partnering with Litecoin cryptocurrency - KING5.com - September 15th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on September 14: Bitcoin, Ether, Cardano plunges over 14% in one week - Moneycontrol.com - September 15th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 1st, 2021
- Nigeria to Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency 'eNaira' in Partnership With Bitt - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Should you invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - September 1st, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading: What Are Some of the Red Flags and How to Spot Them - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Cardanos Ada Is the Latest Cryptocurrency to Surge. Heres What You Need to Know. - The Wall Street Journal - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Investments: Is Buying Bitcoin Investing or Speculating? - Gadgets 360 - August 30th, 2021
- Buying Bitcoin and Ether Just Got Easier in Honduras With Cryptocurrency ATM Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 30th, 2021
- What happens to the cryptocurrency you buy if India decides to ban it - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- Most used blockchain averts crisis after software flaw is fixed - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- RBI may launch e-currency: How will it be different from cryptocurrency? - Hindustan Times - August 30th, 2021
- Crypto debate set to return in force | TheHill - The Hill - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency makes the climate crisis worse | TheHill - The Hill - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrencys Surge Leaves Global Watchdogs Trying to Catch Up - The Wall Street Journal - August 26th, 2021
- PayPal's Cryptocurrency Service Is Expanding Into the UK - Tech.co - August 26th, 2021
- More than $90 million in cryptocurrency stolen after a top Japanese exchange is hacked - CNBC - August 26th, 2021
- What you need to know about cryptocurrency and taxes - RochesterFirst - August 26th, 2021
- The World Of Cryptocurrency Wallets And Exchanges: A Deep Dive - NDTV Profit - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading Platform Cryptex Expanded the List of Countries for Cash Withdrawals - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2021
- Hacker Returns Stolen Cryptocurrency in Heist Reversal - The Wall Street Journal - August 14th, 2021
- What Makes The Cryptocurrency Market So Volatile? Find Out - NDTV Profit - August 14th, 2021
- Mark Cuban says dogecoin is the 'strongest' cryptocurrency as a medium of exchange - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Overwhelmed By the Concept of Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies? Here's Quick Explainer - NBC10 Boston - August 14th, 2021
- This is the no. 1 skill you need to work in crypto, according to Gemini exchange's talent director - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- The Senate's infrastructure cryptocurrency fight was just the beginning - MSNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Explaining the infrastructure bill's impact on cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- These are the 5 most in-demand cryptocurrency jobs right now, according to Monster - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Looking for a job in cryptocurrency? Do these 3 things to stand out - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Work Smarter, not Harder: How to Earn Passive Income with Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- Are Altcoins Slowly Taking Over the Cryptocurrency Market? - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- The JRR Token cryptocurrency is almost certainly headed for Mt. Doom - The Verge - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Regulation SEC Wants To Bring Order To The Wild West - JD Supra - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency startup TaxBit, which just opened a new HQ in Seattle, lands $130M at $1.33B valuation - GeekWire - August 14th, 2021
- What is the best time to invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Mining: What Is the Environmental Impact of Digital Assets - Gadgets 360 - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Will Take Over Rupee and Dollar in Future - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency investor warns government oversight could create bad regulation - Fox Business - August 14th, 2021
- $1 trillion infrastructure bill: How two cryptocurrency amendments began a conversation on digital rights - Vox.com - August 8th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 8th, 2021
- A Few Tips To Guide You With Your First Cryptocurrency Investment - NDTV Profit - August 8th, 2021
- Why crypto community in India is bullish even as the Govt delays regulation - The Financial Express - August 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency and Crypto Tokens: Whats the Difference? - Gadgets 360 - August 8th, 2021
- Infrastructure Bill Threatens Cryptocurrency Ecosystem: Why Is Crypto Being Targeted With More Tax Reporting Burdens Than Traditional Finance? -... - August 8th, 2021
- Harassment of unvaccinated and invisible fortune that is cryptocurrency - ThePrint - August 8th, 2021
- Definition Of A Cryptocurrency Broker Significantly Narrowed In Senate Amendment - Forbes - August 6th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrency Surveillance Provision Buried in the Infrastructure Bill is a Disaster for Digital Privacy - EFF - August 6th, 2021