Decrypt Editor-in-Chief Dan Roberts breaks down what crypto investors need to know about Shiba Inu.
ADAM SHAPIRO: All right, we're going to keep talking about crypto, especially Bitcoin, which is down to about $55,000. Remember that old ad in the '70s-- when EF Hutton talks, people listen? Well, they're out of business. So when Jamie Dimon talks, you better listen.
JAMIE DIMON: I personally think that Bitcoin is worthless. But I don't want to be a [INAUDIBLE]. I don't care. It makes no difference to me.
ADAM SHAPIRO: All right, we're going to bring in the editor-in-chief from Decrypt, Dan Roberts. You know him well. And Dan, what did you think about what Jamie Dimon was saying? Because he was saying personally, but on the other hand, people want to buy this, and there's absolute value in the asset. People are trading it.
DAN ROBERTS: That's right, Adam, and not just people want to buy this, but specifically, our clients. He said our clients disagree with him. And he has contradicted himself a few times over the years. I mean, he has always remained negative and bearish on Bitcoin personally, but at one point, he was calling it a fraud and a scam. And a couple of years later, he came out and said, I regret calling it a fraud. So he, at least, pulled back on that. Now he's still out there calling it worthless.
But not only do some JPM clients disagree, the company separately has put out notes suggesting that it has interest in not just blockchain, but also in certain crypto assets. So I think there are a lot of people at JPM, as a company, who do not agree with what their chief has said publicly. And of course, you know, the idea of blockchain, but not Bitcoin is nothing new. We've heard that from banking people for years. In 2018, that was the big narrative, is you heard banks and also other traditional financial institutions coming out and saying, you know, crypto, we see is very risky. It's highly volatile, not interested. But we like blockchain. We like the idea of using blockchain.
And in the last year or so, as Bitcoin and Ethereum and other top crypto assets have really surged because of the pandemic and, you know, because of the actions of the Fed, you have started to hear less of that. So he's become an anomaly. You've started to hear less of blockchain, not Bitcoin, and you've seen the pendulum swinging back to, actually, Bitcoin is pretty interesting.
ADAM SHAPIRO: And also, there may be a bit of, we fear that which we don't totally understand, which sets me up to help us understand why anybody would buy the Shiba-- is it pronounced Shiba-- Inu coin? Because it was a picture of a cute puppy that Elon Musk put out. And yet, you think he would buy this thing?
DAN ROBERTS: Well, so first of all, let's explain. I mean, everyone by now knows about Dogecoin. And Doge is sort of this original, at this point, OG, joke cryptocurrency. It was [INAUDIBLE] just as a meme, and yet the price has surged. Elon Musk has repeatedly pumped the price of Doge. But now more recently, you've got SHIB, Shiba Inu. And of course, the original internet meme of Doge is a Shiba Inu dog.
And so Elon Musk put out a picture of his new Shiba Inu puppy and said, the name is Floki. And you had the creation of a number of new joke coins, including there's Floki Coin and Floki Frunk Puppy. But of course, it's important to distinguish that a lot of people think that SHIB was really on the rise, if you look at the data, before Musk's tweet.
Now, of course, I do think his tweet added to the pumping of this other joke coin because now it's number 12 by market cap of all cryptocurrencies. But this wasn't a case where it was just all Elon Musk. And in fact, if you look at OnChain data, something like 700,000 different wallets now hold Shiba Inu. So it's a joke, but it's not a joke. When the price goes up so much, there are some people who bought it and flipped it and made real money. So, you know, sometimes people point to those things, and they think that it reduces the legitimacy of the whole crypto space. I don't necessarily agree.
ADAM SHAPIRO: And help us understand this one because no joke here-- Skynet, also known as Facebook, was going to create a wallet for all of us. There was the Libra. Then there was going to be-- what did they call it-- Libra Diem and then Novi. The big news, though, is that Andreessen Horowitz-- and they're investors. Weren't they going to develop this with Facebook? They hired away two key people. What does that tell us?
DAN ROBERTS: Right, I mean, it's hard to look at this news, Adam, of Andreessen Horowitz hiring two of the top people at Facebook's, you know, Diem project as Andreessen Horowitz crypto partners. You know, a16z crypto has gotten very big. It's hard to look at that news and not see this as the continued gutting, the continued exodus of Facebook's crypto ambitions.
I mean, let's rewind. And remember, that when Facebook first announced Libra-- and by the way, it kept saying it's not just us. This is a consortium. But Facebook was leading it, and Facebook Messenger exec David Marcus was the public spokesperson. They said Libra was going to be a new global digital currency pegged to a basket of other multiple Fiat currencies. Then Congress didn't like it. They testified, they pulled back on the plans, they rebranded it from Libra to Diem. And they changed the name of the wallet from Calibra to Novi.
And now just recently, in August, David Marcus came out and said, our wallet product is ready for the market. Well, where is it? And now it looks like all that Diem is going to be is a US stablecoin pegged to the dollar, which we have a lot of those already. So maybe the project still exists, maybe something is going to launch. But a lot of people have left. And there is an irony now in seeing one of the backers that hypothetically is still on the board of the Diem Association plucking two prominent people from the project. But maybe that's because they want to keep better tabs on what it's up to and make sure that it's a success?
ADAM SHAPIRO: You know, I look forward to the day when Zuckerberg's trying to sell that wallet, and he says, well, it's got electrolytes, to quote the movie "Idiocracy." Dan Roberts, Decrypt editor-in-chief, we appreciate your being here. We'll see you soon, buddy.
- I teach cryptocurrency at NYU. Here are 3 things crypto investors should know - MarketWatch - October 14th, 2021
- India Has Highest Number of Cryptocurrency Owners in the World at Over 10 Crore: Report - Gadgets 360 - October 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin slammed as WORTHLESS by JPMorgan boss as cryptocurrency price spikes... - The Sun - October 14th, 2021
- Students hop on to the cryptocurrency bandwagon - Economic Times - October 14th, 2021
- Critical Flaw in OpenSea Could Have Let Hackers Steal Cryptocurrency From Wallets - The Hacker News - October 14th, 2021
- Philip Hammond adds cryptocurrency role to post-Treasury jobs list - The Guardian - October 14th, 2021
- Is It Safe for Retirees to Buy Cryptocurrency? - The Motley Fool - October 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces back above $55,000, but trader has his eye on two other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - October 8th, 2021
- That time cryptocurrency proved people will buy anything - Al Jazeera English - October 8th, 2021
- US Department of Justice creates cryptocurrency enforcement unit - The Verge - October 8th, 2021
- SHIB coin: why is the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency surging? - Fast Company - October 8th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum gain up to 5% - Economic Times - October 8th, 2021
- CryptocurrencyPossible Similarities to the Dot-Com Bubble - Physician's Weekly - October 8th, 2021
- Here's a Top Cryptocurrency Stock to Buy Now - The Motley Fool - October 8th, 2021
- IMF warns of global risks from unregulated cryptocurrency boom - The Guardian - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Basics: What's the Difference Between Digital Coins and Tokens? - InvestorsObserver - October 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Other Cryptocurrencies Have Bounced Back: Latest News - TheStreet - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on October 8: Bitcoin down more than 3% - Moneycontrol - October 8th, 2021
- HelbizCoin cryptocurrency lawsuit is revived - Reuters - October 8th, 2021
- All You Needed to Know About Cryptocurrency in Greece - Greek Reporter - October 8th, 2021
- Former Senate candidate accused of threatening man with gun over cryptocurrency - The Boston Globe - October 8th, 2021
- Elon Musk says cryptocurrency regulators should 'do nothing' and 'let it fly' - Fox Business - September 30th, 2021
- First cryptocurrency fund approved in Switzerland - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2021
- Cardano is no longer the worlds third largest cryptocurrency - Business Insider India - September 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Profit booking pushes prices lower, Ethereum tanks over 5% - Economic Times - September 30th, 2021
- Do You Need To Pay Income Tax On Gains From Cryptocurrency? - NDTV Profit - September 30th, 2021
- Europe is now the world's cryptocurrency capital as China's Bitcoin bans start to bite - Euronews - September 30th, 2021
- The World Needs Cryptocurrency | Opinion - Newsweek - September 30th, 2021
- Senators aim to increase oversight of cryptocurrency mining with new bill | TheHill - The Hill - September 30th, 2021
- UK driving cryptocurrency adoption in Europe with $170 billion in activity for '20-'21 - ZDNet - September 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency 'industry has so much potential' what you need to know about crypto - Express - September 30th, 2021
- Litecoin price jumped 20 percent after hoax linked the cryptocurrency to Walmart - The Verge - September 15th, 2021
- Coinbase, the largest crypto exchange in the US, faces a potential SEC investigation - Vox.com - September 15th, 2021
- No, Walmart is not partnering with Litecoin cryptocurrency - KING5.com - September 15th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on September 14: Bitcoin, Ether, Cardano plunges over 14% in one week - Moneycontrol.com - September 15th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 1st, 2021
- Nigeria to Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency 'eNaira' in Partnership With Bitt - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Should you invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - September 1st, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading: What Are Some of the Red Flags and How to Spot Them - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Cardanos Ada Is the Latest Cryptocurrency to Surge. Heres What You Need to Know. - The Wall Street Journal - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Investments: Is Buying Bitcoin Investing or Speculating? - Gadgets 360 - August 30th, 2021
- Buying Bitcoin and Ether Just Got Easier in Honduras With Cryptocurrency ATM Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 30th, 2021
- What happens to the cryptocurrency you buy if India decides to ban it - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- Most used blockchain averts crisis after software flaw is fixed - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- RBI may launch e-currency: How will it be different from cryptocurrency? - Hindustan Times - August 30th, 2021
- Crypto debate set to return in force | TheHill - The Hill - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency makes the climate crisis worse | TheHill - The Hill - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrencys Surge Leaves Global Watchdogs Trying to Catch Up - The Wall Street Journal - August 26th, 2021
- PayPal's Cryptocurrency Service Is Expanding Into the UK - Tech.co - August 26th, 2021
- More than $90 million in cryptocurrency stolen after a top Japanese exchange is hacked - CNBC - August 26th, 2021
- What you need to know about cryptocurrency and taxes - RochesterFirst - August 26th, 2021
- The World Of Cryptocurrency Wallets And Exchanges: A Deep Dive - NDTV Profit - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading Platform Cryptex Expanded the List of Countries for Cash Withdrawals - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2021
- Hacker Returns Stolen Cryptocurrency in Heist Reversal - The Wall Street Journal - August 14th, 2021
- What Makes The Cryptocurrency Market So Volatile? Find Out - NDTV Profit - August 14th, 2021
- Mark Cuban says dogecoin is the 'strongest' cryptocurrency as a medium of exchange - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Overwhelmed By the Concept of Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies? Here's Quick Explainer - NBC10 Boston - August 14th, 2021
- This is the no. 1 skill you need to work in crypto, according to Gemini exchange's talent director - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- The Senate's infrastructure cryptocurrency fight was just the beginning - MSNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Explaining the infrastructure bill's impact on cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- These are the 5 most in-demand cryptocurrency jobs right now, according to Monster - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Looking for a job in cryptocurrency? Do these 3 things to stand out - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Work Smarter, not Harder: How to Earn Passive Income with Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- Are Altcoins Slowly Taking Over the Cryptocurrency Market? - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- The JRR Token cryptocurrency is almost certainly headed for Mt. Doom - The Verge - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Regulation SEC Wants To Bring Order To The Wild West - JD Supra - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency startup TaxBit, which just opened a new HQ in Seattle, lands $130M at $1.33B valuation - GeekWire - August 14th, 2021
- What is the best time to invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Mining: What Is the Environmental Impact of Digital Assets - Gadgets 360 - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Will Take Over Rupee and Dollar in Future - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency investor warns government oversight could create bad regulation - Fox Business - August 14th, 2021
- $1 trillion infrastructure bill: How two cryptocurrency amendments began a conversation on digital rights - Vox.com - August 8th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 8th, 2021
- A Few Tips To Guide You With Your First Cryptocurrency Investment - NDTV Profit - August 8th, 2021
- Why crypto community in India is bullish even as the Govt delays regulation - The Financial Express - August 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency and Crypto Tokens: Whats the Difference? - Gadgets 360 - August 8th, 2021
- Infrastructure Bill Threatens Cryptocurrency Ecosystem: Why Is Crypto Being Targeted With More Tax Reporting Burdens Than Traditional Finance? -... - August 8th, 2021
- Harassment of unvaccinated and invisible fortune that is cryptocurrency - ThePrint - August 8th, 2021
- Definition Of A Cryptocurrency Broker Significantly Narrowed In Senate Amendment - Forbes - August 6th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrency Surveillance Provision Buried in the Infrastructure Bill is a Disaster for Digital Privacy - EFF - August 6th, 2021