Countries including Iran (leader Hassan Rouhani left), North Korea (Kim Jong-un center) and Venezuela (Nicolas Maduro) are turning to cryptocurrencies to circumvent U.S. sanctions
America's rivals are increasingly turning to bitcoin-style cryptocurrencies after their economies were brought to their knees thanks to crippling U.S. sanctions, experts have warned.
Iran, North Korea, Russia and Venezuela are all investing in the technology in an attempt to counter American economic might and an expert says these nations are forming alliances through the technology.
A form of digital money, cryptocurrency uses encryption to secure transactions and control the creation of new units. It uses cryptography, a form of secret coding originating from the Second World War, to process transactions securely. Its major appeal is it is untraceable.
U.S. sanctions work by placing bans on dealings and transactions with persons, nations and companies.
These prohibitions are often enforced with the help of mainstream financial institutions.
But cryptocurrencies do not operate within this established system. In fact, bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies were invented in part to sidestep the existing regulated financial system.
This means nations like Iran using or controlling such a currency would allow it to bypass certain measures, such as a ban on buying U.S. dollars or even facilitate arms deals.
In May, the United States pulled out of a deal to lift sanctions against Iran in return for curbs on its nuclear program a plan President Donald Trump has repeatedly blasted.
HACKER STEALS CRYPTOCURRENCY FROM MYETHERWALLET USERS
Soon after, Mohammad Reza Pourebrahimi, the head of the Iranian Parliamentary Commission for Economic Affairs, spoke about cryptocurrencies as a way for countries to avoid U.S. dollar transactions - as well as a possible replacement of the SWIFT international payment system.
And Alireza Daliri, a senior science and technology official of Iran's Presidential Office, said: We are trying to prepare the grounds to use a domestic digital currency in the country.
This currency would facilitate the transfer of money (to and from) anywhere in the world.
It can help us at the time of sanctions.
Darren Parkin, editorial director of cryptocurrency news website Coin Rivet, described how the adoption of cryptocurrencies is helping to push economic alliances between these states.
He pointed to the example of Iran and Russia working together to overcome the sanctions that affect them both.
He told Fox News: The problem the U.S. has is if they are dealing with fiat currency (currency that a government has declared to be legal tender) they can monitor the effect of the sanctions.
BITCOIN IS LEADING TO A HUGE UPSWING IN MONEY LAUNDERING, NEW RESEARCH SAYS
But if countries use cryptocurrency they have fallen below the radar of what the U.S. can see.
They're being pushed underground.
Venezuela also reportedly received help from Moscow when it was hit with sanctions, leading to food shortages, soaring prices, a healthcare collapse and a crime spree.
In February the South American nation launched a new cryptocurrency called petro that Nicolas Maduro, the socialist leader of Venezuela, described as 'kryptonite' against the power of the U.S. government.
An anonymous executive at a Russian state bank claims the Kremlin oversaw the creation of the petro after President Vladimir Putin signed off on it last year.
In February Venezuela launched a new cryptocurrency called petro; an anonymous executive at a Russian state bank claims the Kremlin oversaw the creation of the petro after Putin (pictured) signed off on it last year(AP)
The source told Time: People close to Putin, they told him this is how to avoid the sanctions.
This is how the whole thing started.
Last month Vladimir Gutenev, the first deputy head of the economic policy committee of the State Duma, said Russia should conduct transactions in cryptocurrencies linked to the value of gold to frustrate U.S. attempts to thwart deals on Russian weaponry and civilian goods.
"And Im sure that this will be a very interesting option for China, India, and other states as well," he added.
Meanwhile, Priscilla Moriuchi, a former NSA cybersecurity official, told The Hill North Korea earns an estimated $15 million to $200 million by mining and selling cryptocurrencies.
Pyongyang's army of hackers is also believed to have stolen cryptocurrency from organizations and individuals throughout the world.
As if states opposed to the U.S. exploiting cryptocurrency was not concerning enough, analysts have warned bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are already being used to secretly move cash between sympathizers and terror cells throughout the world.
Nikita Malik, the author of a recent report by the UK-based Henry Jackson Society about online extremism called Terror In The Dark, said: The authorities must move urgently to increase their knowledge of terrorists activities in cyberspace and their use of technologies such as bitcoin.
By fundraising and making financial transactions online, terrorists and other criminals can avoid interference from financial regulators or other third parties who might otherwise take steps to prevent their operations.
Regulation in this area has to move carefully if we are to balance liberties with guarding against threats to our security but the time has come to deny extremists the space they need online to plan fresh atrocities.
See the original post:
Iran, North Korea and Venezuela turning to cryptocurrency ...
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020