The late Steve Jobs once said, I dont need a hard disk in my computer if I can get to the server faster. The year was 1997, the Internet itself was only in its infancy, and here was the Apple Co-Founder and longtime web industry leader talking about our future in the Cloud.
That term and this idea of storing and hosting data on a connected network of virtual machines rather than hard disks has grown in popularity since, just as Steve predicted: Carrying around these non-connected computers is byzantine by comparison. Here we cover all the questions one could possibly have about the concept of cloud server hosting from the cloud infrastructure to the cost and features to look for and beyond.
Alright, so first: What is a cloud server, and how does it differ from your run-of-the-mill physical servers?
Cloud servers are just virtual machines (VMs) that run on whats called a cloud computing environment. Rather than having a physical hardware server, which is susceptible to hardware fail, cloud-hosted servers communicate over a network of connected servers theyre all online, but none of your data is stored on your hard drive. Cloud-based servers are software-independent, making them a highly available alternative to on-premise servers, especially if youre in need of resources on demand.
Your cloud host is just the service provider connecting you to this software-independent server network.
The Cloud is known for giving us the ability to send, store, and retrieve data in massive quantities, from anywhere in the world, at any given point in time. As such, there are several benefits of cloud hosting, but like anything else, those perks come at a cost.
Now, for the downsides: Most of these disadvantages can be offset by strategic use of public and private cloud environments (more on this further down).
To quote Steve again, Managing a network like this is a pain in the butt, but for those in need of on-demand resources only when you need them and always where you are this can be a solution with an awesome cost-to-stability ratio.
Its important to realize that there are several cloud-based services out there apart from web hosting services. Backing up your files online (e.g., Dropbox, Google Cloud, etc.), web applications, and other as-a-Service offerings (SaaS, Paas, IaaS) make up what we call cloud computing. In short, cloud computing just means a bunch of computers are sharing processing power and data with multiple devices.
Cloud service providers are not necessarily the same as your cloud hosts, like the folks listed on this page. This can seem convoluted at first because those computing jobs are done on cloud server networks, but think of it this way: You can can sign up for many various Internet-based resources and not have a website hosted on a server in the Cloud. Just because you need cloud-based storage, for example, doesnt mean you are shopping for cloud hosting. Get it?
To recap, cloud computing providers might offer any or many of the following:
There are plenty other specific examples of services, but the ones listed above are some of the more well-known representations of the as-a-Service models of cloud computing. Much like the web hosting end of things, the benefits of cloud computing include fast access to tons of data whenever, wherever.
Yes much like web hosting services can be broken down into shared, vps, and dedicated options, the Cloud is divided: public and private. Here, well also get into whats called hybrid hosting and how cloud hosting fits in with its commonly confused sidekick, VPS hosting.
The main difference between the public and private cloud sectors is the latter means the hardware, storage, and network are all allotted to a single tenant one client or company. In contrast, a multi-tenant environment, or the public cloud, means that you can buy a slice of a cloud computing environment and share space with other customers.
The Google Cloud platform, Amazon EC2, and Rackspace are all examples of public clouds and the perks include pay-as-you-go pricing, getting to set up and manage your own servers, and no contracts. Private clouds, on the other hand, offer the advantages of PCI/HIPAA compliance, high-level security, and hardware customization. You can also breed hybrid deployments via the private cloud, which cant be done in the public cloud.
Put simply, hybrid hosting is using a mix of public and private hosting environments i.e., ideal for those who want to harness the security of the private cloud while capitalizing on the economical benefits of public cloud resources.
For more on this, check out our guide to getting started with hybrid hosting.
Finally, virtual private server (VPS) hosting versus virtual machine (cloud) hosting know the difference. While a VPS is a physical server thats been partitioned into multiple hardware slices each acting as independent server environments, a cloud server is running on a network of connected machines. A VPS is still subject to hardware failure, whereas a cloud web server will just transfer data to another machine without the owner experiencing downtime or data loss.
To be clear: A VPS can be hosted in the Cloud, making it a cloud VPS, but not all cloud servers are VPSs. To see the top VPS hosting plans, including many leading cloud options, check out our VPS reviews.
The best cloud hosting providers are going to help you capitalize on all the advantages of cloud hosting instant provisioning; scalable, on-demand resources; and flexible hardware options for a reasonable cost.
Some of the top features we look for in determining the best hosting services for cloud customers:
When it comes to premiere customer support, SSD speed boosting, and managed servers, InMotion is particularly great at all of the above.
You can pay anywhere from $15 to more than $50 a month on a reputable cloud hosts server.
Lets review: With hosts like InMotion or Bluehost, youre getting immediate provisioning and deployment of super scalable cloud resources, a bunch of processing power, and industry-leading expert support in the pricing ballpark of $15 a month. This is as cheap (and as highly valued) as cheap cloud hosting gets, folks. You get your moneys worth.
Yes, free cloud hosting is a thing, but it mostly comes in the form of a free trial. You have to sign up with a credit card, you get a taste of the awesome resources for 60 days or so, and then you have to pay for anything you use thereafter.
I cant communicate to you how awesome this is unless you use it final words from Steve, and truer words could not have been said of cloud platforms. For those whose businesses need highly available, on-demand cloud computing power, those who cant afford hardware failure, and those who like the idea of paying for a service by the hour, the Cloud is awesome. Whats more, the top cloud hosts can have you launched and live in minutes may the force of the Cloud be with you.
Read more from the original source:
2018's Best "Cloud Hosting" Providers | 100% Real Reviews
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019