The late Steve Jobs once said, I dont need a hard disk in my computer if I can get to the server faster. The year was 1997, the Internet itself was only in its infancy, and here was the Apple Co-Founder and longtime web industry leader talking about our future in the Cloud.
That term and this idea of storing and hosting data on a connected network of virtual machines rather than hard disks has grown in popularity since, just as Steve predicted: Carrying around these non-connected computers is byzantine by comparison. Here we cover all the questions one could possibly have about the concept of cloud server hosting from the cloud infrastructure to the cost and features to look for and beyond.
Alright, so first: What is a cloud server, and how does it differ from your run-of-the-mill physical servers?
Cloud servers are just virtual machines (VMs) that run on whats called a cloud computing environment. Rather than having a physical hardware server, which is susceptible to hardware fail, cloud-hosted servers communicate over a network of connected servers theyre all online, but none of your data is stored on your hard drive. Cloud-based servers are software-independent, making them a highly available alternative to on-premise servers, especially if youre in need of resources on demand.
Your cloud host is just the service provider connecting you to this software-independent server network.
The Cloud is known for giving us the ability to send, store, and retrieve data in massive quantities, from anywhere in the world, at any given point in time. As such, there are several benefits of cloud hosting, but like anything else, those perks come at a cost.
Now, for the downsides: Most of these disadvantages can be offset by strategic use of public and private cloud environments (more on this further down).
To quote Steve again, Managing a network like this is a pain in the butt, but for those in need of on-demand resources only when you need them and always where you are this can be a solution with an awesome cost-to-stability ratio.
Its important to realize that there are several cloud-based services out there apart from web hosting services. Backing up your files online (e.g., Dropbox, Google Cloud, etc.), web applications, and other as-a-Service offerings (SaaS, Paas, IaaS) make up what we call cloud computing. In short, cloud computing just means a bunch of computers are sharing processing power and data with multiple devices.
Cloud service providers are not necessarily the same as your cloud hosts, like the folks listed on this page. This can seem convoluted at first because those computing jobs are done on cloud server networks, but think of it this way: You can can sign up for many various Internet-based resources and not have a website hosted on a server in the Cloud. Just because you need cloud-based storage, for example, doesnt mean you are shopping for cloud hosting. Get it?
To recap, cloud computing providers might offer any or many of the following:
There are plenty other specific examples of services, but the ones listed above are some of the more well-known representations of the as-a-Service models of cloud computing. Much like the web hosting end of things, the benefits of cloud computing include fast access to tons of data whenever, wherever.
Yes much like web hosting services can be broken down into shared, vps, and dedicated options, the Cloud is divided: public and private. Here, well also get into whats called hybrid hosting and how cloud hosting fits in with its commonly confused sidekick, VPS hosting.
The main difference between the public and private cloud sectors is the latter means the hardware, storage, and network are all allotted to a single tenant one client or company. In contrast, a multi-tenant environment, or the public cloud, means that you can buy a slice of a cloud computing environment and share space with other customers.
The Google Cloud platform, Amazon EC2, and Rackspace are all examples of public clouds and the perks include pay-as-you-go pricing, getting to set up and manage your own servers, and no contracts. Private clouds, on the other hand, offer the advantages of PCI/HIPAA compliance, high-level security, and hardware customization. You can also breed hybrid deployments via the private cloud, which cant be done in the public cloud.
Put simply, hybrid hosting is using a mix of public and private hosting environments i.e., ideal for those who want to harness the security of the private cloud while capitalizing on the economical benefits of public cloud resources.
For more on this, check out our guide to getting started with hybrid hosting.
Finally, virtual private server (VPS) hosting versus virtual machine (cloud) hosting know the difference. While a VPS is a physical server thats been partitioned into multiple hardware slices each acting as independent server environments, a cloud server is running on a network of connected machines. A VPS is still subject to hardware failure, whereas a cloud web server will just transfer data to another machine without the owner experiencing downtime or data loss.
To be clear: A VPS can be hosted in the Cloud, making it a cloud VPS, but not all cloud servers are VPSs. To see the top VPS hosting plans, including many leading cloud options, check out our VPS reviews.
The best cloud hosting providers are going to help you capitalize on all the advantages of cloud hosting instant provisioning; scalable, on-demand resources; and flexible hardware options for a reasonable cost.
Some of the top features we look for in determining the best hosting services for cloud customers:
When it comes to premiere customer support, SSD speed boosting, and managed servers, InMotion is particularly great at all of the above.
You can pay anywhere from $15 to more than $50 a month on a reputable cloud hosts server.
Lets review: With hosts like InMotion or Bluehost, youre getting immediate provisioning and deployment of super scalable cloud resources, a bunch of processing power, and industry-leading expert support in the pricing ballpark of $15 a month. This is as cheap (and as highly valued) as cheap cloud hosting gets, folks. You get your moneys worth.
Yes, free cloud hosting is a thing, but it mostly comes in the form of a free trial. You have to sign up with a credit card, you get a taste of the awesome resources for 60 days or so, and then you have to pay for anything you use thereafter.
I cant communicate to you how awesome this is unless you use it final words from Steve, and truer words could not have been said of cloud platforms. For those whose businesses need highly available, on-demand cloud computing power, those who cant afford hardware failure, and those who like the idea of paying for a service by the hour, the Cloud is awesome. Whats more, the top cloud hosts can have you launched and live in minutes may the force of the Cloud be with you.
Read more from the original source:
2018's Best "Cloud Hosting" Providers | 100% Real Reviews
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019
- DHA SDD Shifting Health IT Outlook for 2020 - GovernmentCIO Media - November 28th, 2019
- 4 Popular Types of Website Hosting That You Need to Know - India West - November 19th, 2019
- Is IT prepared for life in the fast lane of multi-cloud? - - Enterprise Times - November 19th, 2019
- How managed services and the cloud is driving innovation in asset heavy industries - CIO Australia - November 19th, 2019
- Salesforce and Microsoft Team Up to Improve Your Productivity - Tech.co - November 19th, 2019
- Business Cloud VoIP & UC Services Market:Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments - Heraldresearch - November 19th, 2019
- Cloud Leadership Summit 2019 successfully brings together leaders in the Indian cloud and hosting industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing |... - November 17th, 2019
- IBM and Bank of America Collaborating to Build a Fintech Public Cloud - Data Center Knowledge - November 17th, 2019
- Routed will host Xalam Analytics at cloud workshops in November - htxt.africa - November 17th, 2019
- Here are the winners of the UK IT Industry Awards 2019 - www.computing.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- We're Stuck With the Tech Giants. But They're Stuck With Each Other. - International New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- WPMU DEV Hosting Review Managed WordPress Cloud Hosting - October 15th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting | Unlimited Cloud Hosting UK with SSD and ... - October 3rd, 2019
- The 5 Best Cloud Hosting Providers: Service On Cloud Nine ... - October 3rd, 2019
- VMware Cloud Hosting Services Provider | TrueNorth ITG - April 28th, 2019
- What is cloud hosting? | IBM Cloud - April 18th, 2019
- What is cloud hosting? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 18th, 2019
- What is Cloud Hosting and What Are the Benefits - April 18th, 2019
- How will cloud hosting affect your SEO campaign? | The Drum - April 18th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services | Steadfast - April 18th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2019 | PCMag.com - April 12th, 2019
- Web Hosting - Hosting Ireland Provides Web Hosting ... - March 23rd, 2019
- ZOOM Web Hosting and Domain Registration Philippines is a ... - March 13th, 2019
- Hostway and HOSTING Merge, Creating One of the Largest ... - March 8th, 2019
- 7 Best Managed Cloud Hosting Providers of 2018 - WPMyWeb - March 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Hosting vs. Shared Hosting Comparison | HostGator - March 2nd, 2019
- Shared Web Hosting Plans - Fast & Secure Shared Hosting ... - February 15th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services | Cloud and Hosting | Sungard AS - February 8th, 2019
- 10 Best Cloud Hosting Service in 2019 - AppModo - January 21st, 2019
- Best Cloud hosting January 2019 | WebHostingGeeks - January 21st, 2019
- Cloud Products & Services | HOSTING - January 11th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting - Super Powerful and Fully Redundant | TMDHosting - January 11th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services - Secure Managed Cloud Hosting - Bluehost - October 26th, 2018
- Indias Best Cloud Hosting | Cloud Servers | Cloud Service ... - October 16th, 2018
- QuickBooks Hosting Fast, Secure Cloud Hosting | Ace Cloud ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Cloud Services - Deploy web apps & APIs | Microsoft Azure - October 2nd, 2018
- HIPAA Compliant Cloud Hosting Services - atlantic.net - September 15th, 2018
- Best Cloud Hosting Providers of 2018 | HostAdvice - August 27th, 2018
- Shared Hosting vs Cloud Hosting - How To Start A Blog - August 27th, 2018
- 10 Best Cloud Server Hosting Providers (2018): Top Cloud ... - August 21st, 2018
- Google Cloud IoT Reviews and Pricing - 2018 - July 12th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting Plans - Secure & Scalable Services | HostGator - May 18th, 2018
- Best cloud hosting providers in 2018 | TechRadar - May 14th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Cloud - Windows - March 2nd, 2018
- Cloud Servers | Cloud Hosting | Web Hosting - Cirrus Hosting - February 20th, 2018
- Managed Dedicated, Cloud and Hosting Services - February 20th, 2018
- What is Cloud Hosting? | Web Hosting Sun - February 12th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Managed Cloud Services - January 9th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting by Perry Hosting - December 11th, 2017
- What Is Cloud Hosting? | GoDaddy - YouTube - December 11th, 2017
- Linux VPS | Best Managed Linux Cloud Hosting - RoseHosting - November 24th, 2017
- Cloud hosting platforms. Part one: Pantheon | ADCI Solutions - November 24th, 2017
- Get to know Linode, the new (big) kid in town - Technical.ly - September 7th, 2017