Authenticated encryption (AE) and authenticated encryption with associated data (AEAD) are forms of encryption which simultaneously assure the confidentiality and authenticity of data. These attributes are provided under a single, easy to use programming interface.
The need for AE emerged from the observation that securely combining separate confidentiality and authentication block cipher operation modes could be error prone and difficult. This was confirmed by a number of practical attacks introduced into production protocols and applications by incorrect implementation, or lack of authentication (including SSL/TLS).
Around the year 2000, a number of efforts evolved around the notion. In particular, strong interest in these modes was sparked by the publication of Charanjit Jutla's IACBC and IAPM modes in 2000. Six different authenticated encryption modes (namely OCB2.0, Key Wrap, CCM, EAX, Encrypt-then-MAC (EtM), and GCM) have been standardized in ISO/IEC 19772:2009. More were developed in response to NIST solicitation. Sponge functions can be used in duplex mode to provide authenticated encryption.
A typical programming interface for AEmode implementation would provide the following functions:
The header part is intended to provide authenticity and integrity protection for networking or storage metadata for which confidentiality is unnecessary, but authenticity is desired.
In addition to protecting message integrity and confidentiality, authenticated encryption can provide security against chosen ciphertext attack. In these attacks, an adversary attempts to gain an advantage against a cryptosystem (e.g., information about the secret decryption key) by submitting carefully chosen ciphertexts to some "decryption oracle" and analyzing the decrypted results. Authenticated encryption schemes can recognize improperly-constructed ciphertexts and refuse to decrypt them. This in turn prevents the attacker from requesting the decryption of any ciphertext unless he generated it correctly using the encryption algorithm, which would imply that he already knows the plaintext. Implemented correctly, this removes the usefulness of the decryption oracle, by preventing an attacker from gaining useful information that he does not already possess.
Many specialized authenticated encryption modes have been developed for use with symmetric block ciphers. However, authenticated encryption can be generically constructed by combining an encryption scheme and a message authentication code (MAC), provided that:
Bellare and Namprempre (2000) analyzed three compositions of these primitives, and demonstrated that encrypting a message and subsequently applying a MAC to the ciphertext (the Encrypt-then-MAC approach) implies security against an adaptive chosen ciphertext attack, provided that both functions meet the required properties. Katz and Yung investigated the notion under the name "unforgeable encryption" and proved it implies security against chosen ciphertext attacks.
In 2013, a competition was announced to encourage design of authenticated encryption modes.
AEAD is a variant of AE where the data to be encrypted needs both authentication and integrity as opposed to just integrity. AEAD binds associated data (AD) to the ciphertext and to the context where it's supposed to appear, so that attempts to "cut-and-paste" a valid ciphertext into a different context are detected and rejected.
It is required, for example, by network packets. The header needs integrity, but must be visible; payload, instead, needs integrity and also confidentiality. Both need authenticity.
The plaintext is first encrypted, then a MAC is produced based on the resulting ciphertext. The ciphertext and its MAC are sent together. Used in, e.g., IPsec. The standard method according to ISO/IEC 19772:2009. This is the only method which can reach the highest definition of security in AE, but this can only be achieved when the MAC used is "strongly unforgeable". In November 2014, TLS and DTLS extension for EtM has been published as RFC 7366. Various EtM ciphersuites exist for SSHv2 as well (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
A MAC is produced based on the plaintext, and the plaintext is encrypted without the MAC. The plaintext's MAC and the ciphertext are sent together. Used in, e.g., SSH. Even though the E&M approach has not been proved to be strongly unforgeable in itself, it is possible to apply some minor modifications to SSH to make it strongly unforgeable despite the approach.
A MAC is produced based on the plaintext, then the plaintext and MAC are together encrypted to produce a ciphertext based on both. The ciphertext (containing an encrypted MAC) is sent. Used in, e.g., SSL/TLS. Even though the MtE approach has not been proven to be strongly unforgeable in itself, the SSL/TLS implementation has been proven to be strongly unforgeable by Krawczyk who showed that SSL/TLS was in fact secure because of the encoding used alongside the MtE mechanism.[dubious discuss] Despite the theoretical security, deeper analysis of SSL/TLS modeled the protection as MAC-then-pad-then-encrypt, i.e. the plaintext is first padded to the block size of the encryption function. Padding errors often result in the detectable errors on the recipient's side, which in turn lead to padding oracle attacks, such as Lucky Thirteen.
Continue reading here:
Authenticated encryption - Wikipedia
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher... - May 27th, 2020
- Are social giants morally obligated to break encryption? - ACS - May 27th, 2020
- Facebook plot to encrypt ALL chats will help child abusers to hide, former police chief warns - The Sun - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market To Expand At A Robust 14.27% Cagr Of 2020 | Sophos,McAfee,Check Point Software Technologies,Proofpoint,Trend Micro - 3rd... - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Expertz Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2020 | Long-term... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Players with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON AES Encryption Software Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 27th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Encryption Key Management Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth Analysis and Forecast... - May 27th, 2020
- Starting to look at email security. Looking for guidance - Encryption Methods and Programs - BleepingComputer - May 25th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec, SkyHigh Networks, Netskope etc. -... - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Technology Market is Expected to Grow at an active CAGR by Forecast to 2025 | Top Players Gemalto, Sophos,... - May 25th, 2020
- Zoom will seek public feedback on plan for stronger encryption - The Indian Express - May 16th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Almost half of organisations have been reported to the ICO for a potential data breach - ResponseSource - May 16th, 2020
- VPN Tunnels explained: what are they and how can they keep your internet data secure - TechRadar - May 16th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - May 15th 2020 - REvil targets Trump - BleepingComputer - May 16th, 2020
- WhatsApp Video Calls Will Soon Support 50: This Is Why 8s The Limit For Your Security - Forbes - May 16th, 2020
- How to Use Encryption for Defense in Depth in Native and Browser Apps - InfoQ.com - May 14th, 2020
- Analyzing Encrypted RDP Connections - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Global Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024| Increasing Use of In-built Cloud Encryption Solutions to Boost... - May 14th, 2020
- Vcrypt ransomware brings along a buddy to do the encryption - Naked Security - May 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- GovCon Expert Chuck Brooks: Three Steps for Protecting Data in the Public and Private Sectors - GovConWire - May 14th, 2020
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption? - TWCN Tech News - May 14th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Congress May Hand Bill Barr the Keys to Your Online Life - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- DataLocker Sentry K300 8GB Encrypted Thumb Drive Review - TweakTown - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Email Encryption Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - May 14th, 2020
- Google Duo is coming to the web via Chrome; features Family mode, end-to-end encryption - Moneycontrol - May 14th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Commercial Encryption Software Market Applications and Company's Active in the Industry Science Market Reports... - May 2nd, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market (2019 to 2026) - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture and Field-Programmable Gate Array, Product, Application,... - May 2nd, 2020
- Innovative Encryption Algorithm Developed in South Korea - BusinessKorea - May 2nd, 2020
- Online course trains students in the bizarre world of quantum computing - Livescience.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID19 impact: Global Cloud Encryption Software Market Trends (Constraints, Drivers, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, recommendations and... - May 2nd, 2020
- Review of the iStorage datAshur Pro2, an encrypted thumbdrive for home and work - Neowin - May 2nd, 2020
- Kanguru expands encrypted flash drive range with new 256GB options - Geeky Gadgets - May 2nd, 2020
- Global Encryption Management Solutions Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Check Point Software... - May 2nd, 2020
- The COVIDSafe app was just one contact tracing option. These alternatives guarantee more privacy - The Conversation AU - May 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026| Microsoft, IBM, OneNeck - News Log Book - May 2nd, 2020
- ACLU, EFF still trying to get documents unsealed in Facebook encryption case - CyberScoop - April 29th, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Security Boulevard - April 29th, 2020
- How Let's Encrypt changed the web with free, easy encryption - Fast Company - April 29th, 2020
- Group video calls of up to 100 participants, with encryption and noise cancellation - Explica - April 29th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19-Encryption Management Solutions Market 2019-2023 | Rising Demand For Digitalization to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - April 17th, 2020
- Protecting consumers personal data becomes top reason for encryption, global study involving nCipher Security finds - Cambridge Independent - April 17th, 2020
- Signal: Well be eaten alive by EARN IT Acts anti-encryption wolves - Naked Security - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus tracing tech policy 'more significant' than the war on encryption - ZDNet - April 17th, 2020
- How a former NSA scientist grasped the Holy Grail of encryption and changed the paradigm for safely sharing data - SiliconANGLE - April 17th, 2020
- Zoom will let paying customers pick which data center their calls are routed from - The Verge - April 17th, 2020
- Encryption will be broken in the next four to five years - - Enterprise Times - April 17th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2020 Comprehensive Research, SWOT Analysis, Key Players and Forecast by 2025 - Galus Australis - April 17th, 2020
- Signal Threatens to Leave the US If EARN IT Act Passes - WIRED - April 17th, 2020
- What is homomorphic encryption and how can it help in elections? | Microsoft On The Issues - Microsoft - April 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Booming by Size, Trends, Top Key players and Forecast to 2026 - Science In Me - April 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market SWOT Analysis by Key Outlook to 2026 | Illumina, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Roche Diagnostics - Cole of Duty - April 17th, 2020
- Bill to protect children online ensnared in encryption fight | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Child exploitation bill earns strong opposition from encryption advocates - Washington Examiner - March 13th, 2020
- Senators Pretend That EARN IT Act Wouldn't Be Used To Undermine Encryption; They're Wrong - Techdirt - March 13th, 2020
- Patent hints that encrypted displays could appear on future Apple devices - TechSpot - March 13th, 2020
- Senators dispute industry claims that a bill targeting tech's legal shield would prohibit encryption - CNBC - March 11th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act Is a Sneak Attack on Encryption - WIRED - March 11th, 2020
- Krk WiFi vulnerability affected WiFi encryption on over a billion devices - Privacy News Online - March 11th, 2020
- The Benefits of Encryption and the Implications of Creating Backdoors - American Action Forum - March 11th, 2020
- Big Boom in Encryption Key Management Software Market that is Significantly Growing with Top Key Players Netlib Security, Fortanix, Avery Oden, AWS -... - March 11th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020-2026: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems... - March 11th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Rising Trends, Technology and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - Best Research Reports - March 11th, 2020
- Crypto, Encryption, and the Quest for a Secure Messaging App - Bitcoin News - March 8th, 2020
- Encryption Flaws Leave Millions of Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai Cars Vulnerable to Key Cloning - Gizmodo - March 8th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market to Boom In Near Future by 2026 Industry Key Players: Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation -... - March 8th, 2020
- What are the top-rated encrypted texting apps? - Fox Business - March 8th, 2020