Microsoft and some big research institutions are hoping to turn the Pacific Northwest into a hotbed for quantum computing.
On Monday, Microsoft Quantum, the company's research team devoted to the field, announced that it's getting together with the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and the University of Washington to form a coalition called the Northwest Quantum Nexus. The coalition plans to promote the development of quantum computing in the Pacific Northwest region, as well as in parts of Canada.
The partners are also hosting a two-day summit at the University of Washington on Monday and Tuesday that will bring together researchers and officials from universities, government agencies, and businesses. The goal is to encourage attendees to collaborate on quantum-computing projects and research.
"We're really at a moment when many businesses are starting to think about the promise of quantum information sciences and the promise of quantum computing for solving the world's most challenging problems," Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft told Business Insider.
Standard computers such as PCs and smartphones process and store information in the form of binary bits, either zeros or ones. Quantum computers, by contrast, process and store data as "qubits," which can hold the values of zero and one simultaneously. That design difference could allow them to perform exponentially more calculations in a given amount of time than traditional computers, giving them the potential to solve immensely more complex problems.
Because of that, quantum computing is considered one of the most promising new technologies, with potential applications in areas ranging from discovering new drugs to cryptography to making stock predictions to calculating more efficient routes for airlines or the military. But the technology is still in its early stages, and analysts don't expect quantum computers to outperform traditional ones for another five to ten years.
Read more:Quantum computing could change everything, and IBM is racing with Microsoft, Intel, and Google to conquer it. Here's what you need to know
In December, Congress passed and the president signed the National Quantum Initiative Act, which provides $1.2 billion for research in the field. Since then, there's been increased interest from government agencies and businesses, said Nathan Baker, a director at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft, is helping lead the company's efforts in the field. Microsoft "The Northwest is known for its outstanding physics and outstanding work in computing," Baker said. "We need to be thinking about how can we deliberately move it forward to do something bigger."
Although business and investor interest in quantum computing is growing, there's a shortage of people with skills in the field, Svore and Baker said. That's something they hope the Northwest Quantum Nexus will help address.
"There's a huge gap between quantum information sciences and all of the skills you need to bring together to make it a functioning technological platform," Baker said. "We're going to have to be deliberate in how to build that out."
In addition to helping form the Nexus coalition, Microsoft and the University of Washington are teaming up to teach students how to program quantum computers.
"Microsoft's focus is producing a scalable quantum computer and bringing that forward for our customers and for our future," Svore said. "To do that, we need to be able to accelerate the progress in quantum computing. We need to be able to educate a whole world of quantum developers."
Microsoft is developing both quantum computing hardware and software. Its effort focuses on fragmenting electrons to store information in multiple places at once.
That's different from the approach of companies such as IBM, Intel and Google, which are working on creating quantum computers that store data using superconducting circuits.
"Having devoted my life to this field, I'm overwhelmingly giddy with the prospect of the type of output we'll see with the Northwest Quantum Nexus Summit," Svore said. "I really do believe this can start the quantum revolution."
Read the original post:
Microsoft has formed a coalition to promote quantum computing ...
- Better encryption for wireless privacy at the dawn of quantum computing - UC Riverside - June 30th, 2020
- Menten AIs combination of buzzword bingo brings AI and quantum computing to drug discovery - TechCrunch - June 30th, 2020
- Paper Outlines the Role of ERM in Managing Risks Related to New Technologies - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Airbus CTO Grazia Vittadini: Aviation needs to tap emerging technologies, diverse talent to get climate-neutral - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical... - June 30th, 2020
- Is IT regulation in the DARQ? - IT PRO - June 30th, 2020
- Sen. Warner: 5G ORAN Bill Added to Must-Pass Legislation - Multichannel News - June 30th, 2020
- Is teleportation possible? Yes, in the quantum world - University of Rochester - June 25th, 2020
- JPMorgan Shows Its Chops in Quantum Computing. Heres Why It Matters. - Barron's - June 25th, 2020
- Physicist Chen Wang Receives DOE Early Career Award - UMass News and Media Relations - June 25th, 2020
- Teleportation Is Indeed Possible At Least in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - June 25th, 2020
- Cambridge Innovation Capital plc: Annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020 - PharmiWeb.com - June 25th, 2020
- Docuseries takes viewers into the lives and labs of scientists - UChicago News - June 25th, 2020
- Should children be taught quantum computing and other sciences that are studied in college? - Explica - June 25th, 2020
- Canadas 5G Moment Of Truth - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Inter-dependence of Quantum Computing and Robotics - Analytics Insight - June 21st, 2020
- 2 thoughts on Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- New Way to Assess the Performance of Quantum Devices - AZoQuantum - June 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- GlobalQuantum Software Market Report 2020 Sales Forecast to Grow Negatively in Western Regio post COVID 19 Impact Analysis Updated Edition Top Players... - June 21st, 2020
- Is China Threatening Americas Dominance In The Digital Space? - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Lockheed's ventures arm backs quantum computing and training tech firms - Washington Technology - June 18th, 2020
- Brighton scientists in the race to build quantum computer - The Argus - June 18th, 2020
- Toronto-based Association Quantum appoints Northern Hive PR - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- NTT Research Builds Upon its Micro Technologies and Cryptography Expertise with Distinguished New Hires - Business Wire - June 18th, 2020
- Coming out of lockdown is harder than going in - Science Business - June 18th, 2020
- Northern Hive PR rides a wave of new client wins - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 CoronaVirus Efect on Industry and Companies, Anyon Systems, Cambridge Quantum... - June 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Segmentation, Industry trends and Development to 2019-2029 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 17th, 2020
- Archer touts performing early-stage validation of quantum computing chip - ZDNet - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing is the next big leap - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- The technical realities of functional quantum computers - is Googles ten-year plan for Quantum Computing viable? - Diginomica - June 13th, 2020
- Quantum Computing And The End Of Encryption - Hackaday - June 13th, 2020
- First master's thesis in Quantum Computing defended at the University of Tartu - Baltic Times - June 13th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Hermione, Thermal Neutrons, Certifications & More - HPCwire - June 13th, 2020
- Preparing for the Jobs of the Future: The Coding School and MIT Physicists Are Making Quantum Computing Accessible to High School Students This Summer... - June 5th, 2020
- QCI Achieves Best-in-Class Performance with its Mukai Quantum-Ready Application Platform - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - June 5th, 2020
- India and Australia pump $12.7 million into AI, quantum computing and robotics renewing their cyber and crit - Business Insider India - June 5th, 2020
- Spain's CaixaBank Teams With IBM Services to Accelerate Cloud Transformation and Innovation in the Financial Services - AiThority - June 5th, 2020
- Riverlane partners with biotech company Astex - Cambridge Network - June 5th, 2020
- Faujis Tour of Duty - The Statesman - June 5th, 2020
- Why your website may be packed with malware - TechHQ - June 5th, 2020
- House Introduces the Advancing Quantum Computing Act - Lexology - May 30th, 2020
- The Role of Quantum Computing in Online Education - MarketScale - May 30th, 2020
- The University of New Mexico Becomes IBM Q Hub's First University Member - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Riverlane partner with bio-tech company Astex - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 30th, 2020
- Bipartisan push for US$100 billion investment in science - University World News - May 30th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Astronomy, Weather, Security & More - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Total to crunch the numbers on 'nanoporus' materials to hone carbon capture - Recharge - May 24th, 2020
- Total partners with Cambridge Quantum Computing on CO2 capture - Green Car Congress - May 20th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M In Grants To Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- Atos and CSC empower the Finnish quantum research community with Atos Quantum Learning Machine - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 20th, 2020
- Light Waves Used to Access Unique Properties of the Quantum World - AZoQuantum - May 20th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Quantum Computing Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers, Technology -... - May 20th, 2020
- Quantum computing will (eventually) help us discover vaccines in days - VentureBeat - May 16th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering (QCE20) - PRNewswire - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The Global Quantum Dots Market is expected to grow from USD 2,581.12 Million in 2018 to USD 10,423.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing analytics: Put this on your IT roadmap - TechRepublic - May 15th, 2020
- David Graves to Head New Research at PPPL for Plasma Applications in Industry and Quantum Information Science - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing... - May 15th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M in Grants to Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Yale College 2020: Meet some of the graduates - Yale News - May 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Video: The Future of Quantum Computing with IBM - insideHPC - May 14th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IonQ CEO Peter Chapman on how quantum computing will change the future of AI - VentureBeat - May 14th, 2020
- New Tool Could Pave the Way for Future Insights in Quantum Chemistry - AZoQuantum - May 14th, 2020
- Daily AI Roundup: The Coolest Things on Earth Today - AiThority - May 14th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Geometric Topology job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 206608 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 14th, 2020
- Archer to work alongside IBM in progressing quantum computing - ZDNet - May 6th, 2020
- A Discovery That Long Eluded Physicists: Superconductivity to the Edge - SciTechDaily - May 6th, 2020
- Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram's 'Theory of Everything' - Scientific American - May 6th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar: 'HPC Simulations of the Early Universe' - HPCwire - May 6th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - May 4th, 2020
- Devs: Here's the real science behind the quantum computing TV show - New Scientist News - May 4th, 2020
- IBM Announces a Quantum Challenge With Four Exercises to Solve in 4 Days - Database Trends and Applications - May 4th, 2020
- New Princeton study takes superconductivity to the edge - Princeton University - May 4th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Inclinations And Development Status Highlighted During Forecast Period 2019-2026 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020