Add to favorites
Providing encrypted DNS support without breaking existing Windows device admin configuration wont be easy
Microsoft is set to start offering encrypted DNS resolution services (DNS-over-HTTPS, or DoH) joining Cloudflare and Google in introducing the service, which has drawn public policy maker ire for obfuscating/securing end-user traffic.
DoH encrypts DNS traffic and requires authentication of the server. As the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) notes, this mitigates both passive surveillance and active attacks that attempt to divert DNS traffic to rogue servers.
We are making plans to adopt DNS over HTTPS (or DoH) in the Windows DNS client, Microsoft said on Sunday. As a platform, Windows Core Networking seeks to enable users to use whatever protocols they need, so were open to having other options such as DNS over TLS (DoT) in the future. For now, were prioritizing DoH support as the most likely to provide immediate value to everyone.
The company did not specify when the service will be available.
We believe Windows adoption of encrypted DNS will help make the overall Internet ecosystem healthier, the company added in a networking blog.
The move comes six months after the Sunday Times reported that British government figures were in crisis talks over plans for the broad rollout of the technology by the leading DNS resolution service providers, which problematises the bulk surveillance allowed by the 2016 Snoopers Charter, or Investigatory Powers Act, which requires ISPs to store their customers internet activity for 12 months.
Mozilla said in September that its Firefox browser would start defaulting to Cloudflares DoH service, although initially just in a small-scale pilot.
Currently, even if users are visiting a site using HTTPS, their DNS query is sent over an unencrypted connection: anyone listening to packets on the network knows which website an internet user is attempting visit.
In the UK, this includes all internet service providers (ISPs).
Microsoft said: Well start with a simple change: use DoH for DNS servers Windows is already configured to use. There are now several public DNS servers that support DoH, and if a Windows user or device admin configures one of them today, Windows will just use classic DNS (without encryption) to that server.
However, since these servers and their DoH configurations are well known, Windows can automatically upgrade to DoH while using the same server the companys Tommy Jensen, Ivan Pashov, and Gabriel Montenegro said in a blog.
Microsoft will not be making any changes to which DNS server Windows was configured to use by the user or network they added.
Paul Gagliardi, Director of Threat Intelligence at SecurityScorecard told Computer Business Review in an earlier comment in response to Mozillas move: On one hand I dont want ISPs selling my internet behavior or censoring it, on the other it is currently hard to implement basic censoring. Ultimately, content (DNS in this case) cannot be secured/monitored without having the ability to observe it.
Just as companies/organizations inspect their HTTPS traffic, the same needs to happen with encrypted DNS/DoH. Decrypting DoH would be the exact same mechanism as observing HTTPS traffic, using a Man in the Middle proxy to decrypt traffic on the fly and implement security mechanisms. There are no shortage of commercial solutions for this, however, things get more complicated in BYOD environments.
He added: DoH forces the privacy vs security defense debate to be more localized. A company or organization can balance those decisions in their network differently than a private individual. Unfortunately for those organizations/companies, the ability to censor traffic is now more technical and requires more investment on their part. In short I think well see more HTTPS MiTM and prohibition of BYoD.
Microsofts networking team noted: Providing encrypted DNS support without breaking existing Windows device admin configuration wont be easy.
However, at Microsoft we believe that we have to treat privacy as a human right. We have to have end-to-end cybersecurity built into technology.
Go here to read the rest:
Microsoft Jumps on the DoH Train Company to Introduce Encrypted DNS - Computer Business Review
- Review: SecureDrive BT, the encrypted external SSD you can unlock with Face ID - 9to5Mac - January 19th, 2020
- EncryptOnClick is a freeware tool that can encrypt files and folders - Ghacks Technology News - January 19th, 2020
- Trump and Comey Are United Against Encrypted Communications - Reason - January 19th, 2020
- Police Scotland to roll out encryption bypass technology - Glasgow Live - January 19th, 2020
- Encryption battle reignited as US govt at loggerheads with Apple - Times Now - January 19th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market Set To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Over The Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 19th, 2020
- Malware Obfuscation, Encoding and Encryption - Security Boulevard - January 14th, 2020
- Microsoft CEO says encryption backdoors are a terrible idea - The Verge - January 14th, 2020
- Debate over access to encryption isn't going away - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- Over two dozen encryption experts call on India to rethink changes to its intermediary liability rules - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Booming by Size, Trends and Top Growing Companies- IBM Corporation, Sophos, Ciphercloud, Pkware, Mcafee - BulletintheNews - January 14th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2025 - Instanews247 - January 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Insights and Technology 2020, Forecasts to 2026 - Broadcast Offer - January 14th, 2020
- Garda needs new technology for online child abuse investigations - The Irish Times - January 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market Research, Recent Trends and Growth F - News by aeresearch - January 14th, 2020
- Apple made a rare appearance at tech's biggest conference and defended encryption on the iPhone - Business Insider - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to cross USD 20 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market Size by Top Leading Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 -... - January 8th, 2020
- WidePoint Partners with KoolSpan to Offer End-to-End Encryption for Phone Calls and Text Messages - GlobeNewswire - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Growth By Top Companies, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Citi Blog News - January 8th, 2020
- How to cope with a FileVault recovery key disappearing while you write it down - Macworld - January 8th, 2020
- Doing these 10 things on WhatsApp may land you in jail - Gadgets Now - January 8th, 2020
- Holistic encryption is one of the keys to California Consumer Privacy Act risk management - Continuity Central - January 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Share Metrics, Growth Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 6th, 2020
- New Informative Report of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Top Key Players are Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation, Symantec... - January 6th, 2020
- Maastricht University gets almost all of its Windows systems encrypted by ransomware - 2-spyware.com - January 6th, 2020
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis, Industry Size, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecasts (2020 2027) -... - January 6th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - January 3rd 2020 - Busy Holiday Season - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Keep Your Business Secure From Online Threats - BBN Times - January 6th, 2020
- State Department Adds ITAR Definitions in Interim Final Rule for Activities that Are Not Exports, Reexports, Retransfers or Temporary Imports -... - January 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2020-2027: Seagate Technology PLC, Western... - January 6th, 2020
- Clop Ransomware Now Kills Windows 10 Apps and 3rd Party Tools - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Scientists in Scotland help develop worlds first encryption system that is unbreakable by hackers - The Independent - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Bows Down To Google As 2019 Most Trustworthy Recognition - International Business Times - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook , Apple being threatened by US senators over data encryption - Gizmo Posts 24 - December 21st, 2019
- How To Secure Microsoft Windows 10 In Eight Easy Steps - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Examine Mobile Encryption Market expected to obtain $2,917.9 million by 2022 - WhaTech - WhaTech - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook's end-to-end encryption will enhance user privacy but its not good news for law enforcement - Firstpost - December 21st, 2019
- Future of Encryption Software Market Reviewed in a New Research Study 2019-2025 - Daily News Reports 24 - December 21st, 2019
- Fortanix expert on how European companies are taking back control of their data in the cloud - Intelligent CIO ME - December 21st, 2019
- What's that? Encryption's OK now? UK politicos Brexit from Whatsapp to Signal - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD radio encryption most likely wont happen in 2020 but will soon - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- If You Think Encryption Back Doors Won't Be Abused, You May Be a Member of Congress - Reason - December 20th, 2019
- The decline of passwords, the rise of encryption and deepfakes cybersecurity predictions for 2020 - BetaNews - December 20th, 2019
- Facebook's Push for End-to-End Encryption Is Good News for User Privacy, as Well as Terrorists and Paedophiles - Nextgov - December 20th, 2019
- Internet of crap (encryption): IoT gear is generating easy-to-crack keys - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- What Is Snatch Ransomware and How to Remove It - Guiding Tech - December 20th, 2019
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD Eyeing Encrypted Radios to Protect Criminal Investigations - Officer - December 20th, 2019
- Volunteer firefighters, EMTs worry they won't have NYPD radio access to help public - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- What We Learned About the Technology That Times Journalists Use - The New York Times - December 20th, 2019
- The Senate Judiciary Committee Wants Everyone to Know It's Concerned About Encryption - EFF - December 14th, 2019
- The Defense Department Says It Needs the Encryption the FBI Wants to Break - Free - December 14th, 2019
- Congress wants to regulate encryption for big tech - The Burn-In - December 14th, 2019
- Facebook says it won't break end-to-end encryption - TechRadar - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption spat sees backdoor back-and-forth between tech firms, Congress - TelecomTV - December 14th, 2019
- Michael Hayden Ran The NSA And CIA: Now Warns That Encryption Backdoors Will Harm American Security & Tech Leadership - Techdirt - December 14th, 2019
- Large, diverse coalition of civil society groups tell the US, UK and Australian governments not to ban working encryption - Boing Boing - December 14th, 2019
- U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman of Ohio says agents need access encrypted devices, apps for the sake of public s - cleveland.com - December 14th, 2019
- Google makes it safer to text on Android phones, but end-to-end encryption is still MIA - PCWorld - December 14th, 2019
- Priti Patel bids to create end-to-end encryption apps' back door - The National - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption can't put tech giants beyond the reach of the law, Minister says - The Age - December 14th, 2019
- Chrome 79 includes anti-phishing and hacked password protection - Naked Security - December 14th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2027 - Downey... - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption back on the congressional agenda - Politico - December 9th, 2019
- Police radios blocked from the public in southeast Denver metro area - The Denver Post - December 9th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2029| Microsoft, Sophos Ltd., Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. -... - December 9th, 2019
- Did You Hear That? Securing Communications in 2019 | Insight for the Connected Enterprise - No Jitter - December 9th, 2019
- 'Government broke their promise': Labor seeks to amend encryption legislation - Sydney Morning Herald - December 9th, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2019 Innovation and Technological Developments, Industry Analysis & Outlook 2023 - Weekly News... - December 9th, 2019
- Privacy vs public safety - the pros and cons of encryption - World Economic Forum - December 8th, 2019
- 80% of all Android apps encrypt traffic by default - We Live Security - December 8th, 2019
- Keybase moves to stop onslaught of spammers on encrypted message platform - Ars Technica - December 8th, 2019
- Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- Nick Clegg to be summoned to Parliament to give evidence on Facebook encryption - Sunriseread - December 8th, 2019
- This startup just solves the data privacy problem by making it possible to search encrypted data in the cloud - TechStartups.com - December 8th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2017-2027 - Weekly Spy - December 8th, 2019
- Millions of Private Text Messages Have Been Exposed: Here's How to Encrypt Messages on iPhone and Android - Tech Times - December 8th, 2019
- Biometric Data Encryption Device Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2018 to 2028 -... - December 8th, 2019
- Certbot Leaves Beta with the Release of 1.0 - EFF - December 8th, 2019