A recent study from Facebook and BCG said that awareness of conversational commerce is highest across Southeast Asia at 72% and that 94% of those surveyed plan to maintain or increase their spending. When did conversational commerce become a priority for Facebook Messenger?
When we started to see that people are finding ways to talk to businesses and vice versa on Messenger.
We had anticipated it would happen, but just didnt know when. Businesses invariably follow people whenever theres a shift to new media. It happened with messaging pretty much like it happened before with phones, radios or email.
Once we realised that people were cracking this, we thought of giving them the tools to do it better because if they can do it well, they will do more of it.
And so we introduced Click to Message ads that open out as a thread. That became one of the fastest growing ad product for us. To a large extent, it is happening in the Asia-Pacific region.
Considering how Messenger has developed and evolved: did it have more to do with sticking with a long term plan or being very adaptable?
It was probably a bit of both. We set up a few core principles and focused on them unless there was new information that presented itself. But on the peripheries, we tried to be nimble.
The main thesis for Messenger was that people want to communicate more privately and spend greater amounts of time in messaging apps.
And that they want to do more than just messaging in these apps. We stayed the course there and built features that allowed for that to happen. But there were other examples where we tried to learn quickly.
For instance, some of the things that people did when it came to messaging businesses we didnt know that would happen.
But once you give people the ability to communicate with businesses, you start to learn from those interactions in Singapore, Vietnam and other places in Asia. We have learnt from use cases that people have created which dont exist elsewhere. And then we try to turn those into products.
We focus on what people want to do and believe the rest will follow.
Is something like WeChat which had its origins in messaging but is now styling itself as a super app something that you would like Messenger to become?
We believe that there are many more things that you can build on top of messaging. I cant say we want to be everything and like WeChat, but I do want to say that a bunch of use cases that it has tackled are the use cases that we would want our people to tackle on Messenger as well.
Of the different sort of advertising options that exist for marketers within Messenger from bots to running ads within the messenger inbox what has got the most traction?
From the standpoint of ads, Click to Message has been doing amazingly well.
When it comes down to tools, the simple ones are the best liked. For instance, click replies when you can set up automated replies.
The ability to switch from automated conversation to actual conversation that transition to a human being who can receive your payment, or close a deal.
Different insurance and auto firms use it very well for lead generation. You see a car, watch the video and with a couple of clicks, set up an appointment for a test drive. It works for you, the dealership and the manufacturer.
Its the same with insurance quotes. Our platform has been able to deliver on that quite well.
One of the simple solutions I find very compelling are business oriented stickers that could say things like no discounts; or I dont want to negotiate. They communicate what needs to be said so much faster because you just tap on it. Those are the solutions that I find compelling and they can drive a lot of upside for advertisers.
There are persistent stories and lots of anecdotal evidence about ads being served up on Facebook based on conversations people have been having leading to the feeling among lots of people that Facebook is listening in. Considering Messenger chats are typically a lot more personal, dont you think the suspicion is going to be far greater? How do you draw the line between relevant and contextual, to something where people are conscious rightly or wrongly of a violation of privacy?
That is one of the reasons we want to be end-to-end encrypted. Then, we wouldnt have the ability to do that even if we wanted to.
Right now, we are saying no we are not doing it. But we want to get to the stage where we can say: We couldnt even if we wanted to and heres why. And we can show that to anyone who has any questions, because of the way we have architected ourselves.
Its been a rough two or more years for Facebook. What sort of an impact does the conversation and criticism around the brand have on the people working within? Is this an issue you have to contend with as the leader of a product?
It is something we constantly need to talk about since Facebook has an open culture. And so criticism from outside or raising concerns, affects everyone who works in the company. We constantly sit down and have these conversations.
People ask how do we address those concerns? We have been very open and public about how we are thinking about these critiques. We are addressing some of it because it is valid; others we are disagreeing with and pushing back on.
We are having conversations on this both internally and externally. Our key is to have the exact same conversation externally as we do internally. I think weve been doing a better job on that.
You were an entrepreneur who has been a part of a string of successful startups social networking site Tickle that was acquired by Monster, Goodreads, Iron Pearl that was acquired by PayPal. How did you come to join Facebook? Were there any other options you were evaluating at the time?
You are right in the sense that people usually dont do a bunch of successful startups and end up in big companies its generally the other way round.
I wouldnt have gone to any company other than Facebook. It was either Facebook or not working for a while or working with my friends or some investing vehicle and things in that space. It was very special in the sense that I was interested in working on networks that affect businesses.
In addition, it was obvious to me even six or seven years ago that messaging is where the whole world was headed. Messaging being a fundamental human need is something that I had been thinking about for a while, and so when the opportunity presented itself to work on the next frontier of a company that Id admired from a distance, it was difficult to say no.
Considering you moved from the Soviet Union, how did advertising in the United States strike you?
We didnt have much advertising in the Soviet Union. When I arrived in 1994, it was a whole new world for me that I didnt understand very well.
Over time, you learn and the most simple things end up working. It is just very straightforward: explaining the different upsides and downsides of different things.
- Review: SecureDrive BT, the encrypted external SSD you can unlock with Face ID - 9to5Mac - January 19th, 2020
- EncryptOnClick is a freeware tool that can encrypt files and folders - Ghacks Technology News - January 19th, 2020
- Trump and Comey Are United Against Encrypted Communications - Reason - January 19th, 2020
- Police Scotland to roll out encryption bypass technology - Glasgow Live - January 19th, 2020
- Encryption battle reignited as US govt at loggerheads with Apple - Times Now - January 19th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market Set To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Over The Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 19th, 2020
- Malware Obfuscation, Encoding and Encryption - Security Boulevard - January 14th, 2020
- Microsoft CEO says encryption backdoors are a terrible idea - The Verge - January 14th, 2020
- Debate over access to encryption isn't going away - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- Over two dozen encryption experts call on India to rethink changes to its intermediary liability rules - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Booming by Size, Trends and Top Growing Companies- IBM Corporation, Sophos, Ciphercloud, Pkware, Mcafee - BulletintheNews - January 14th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2025 - Instanews247 - January 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Insights and Technology 2020, Forecasts to 2026 - Broadcast Offer - January 14th, 2020
- Garda needs new technology for online child abuse investigations - The Irish Times - January 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market Research, Recent Trends and Growth F - News by aeresearch - January 14th, 2020
- Apple made a rare appearance at tech's biggest conference and defended encryption on the iPhone - Business Insider - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to cross USD 20 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market Size by Top Leading Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 -... - January 8th, 2020
- WidePoint Partners with KoolSpan to Offer End-to-End Encryption for Phone Calls and Text Messages - GlobeNewswire - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Growth By Top Companies, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Citi Blog News - January 8th, 2020
- How to cope with a FileVault recovery key disappearing while you write it down - Macworld - January 8th, 2020
- Doing these 10 things on WhatsApp may land you in jail - Gadgets Now - January 8th, 2020
- Holistic encryption is one of the keys to California Consumer Privacy Act risk management - Continuity Central - January 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Share Metrics, Growth Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 6th, 2020
- New Informative Report of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Top Key Players are Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation, Symantec... - January 6th, 2020
- Maastricht University gets almost all of its Windows systems encrypted by ransomware - 2-spyware.com - January 6th, 2020
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis, Industry Size, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecasts (2020 2027) -... - January 6th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - January 3rd 2020 - Busy Holiday Season - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Keep Your Business Secure From Online Threats - BBN Times - January 6th, 2020
- State Department Adds ITAR Definitions in Interim Final Rule for Activities that Are Not Exports, Reexports, Retransfers or Temporary Imports -... - January 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2020-2027: Seagate Technology PLC, Western... - January 6th, 2020
- Clop Ransomware Now Kills Windows 10 Apps and 3rd Party Tools - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Scientists in Scotland help develop worlds first encryption system that is unbreakable by hackers - The Independent - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Bows Down To Google As 2019 Most Trustworthy Recognition - International Business Times - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook , Apple being threatened by US senators over data encryption - Gizmo Posts 24 - December 21st, 2019
- How To Secure Microsoft Windows 10 In Eight Easy Steps - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Examine Mobile Encryption Market expected to obtain $2,917.9 million by 2022 - WhaTech - WhaTech - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook's end-to-end encryption will enhance user privacy but its not good news for law enforcement - Firstpost - December 21st, 2019
- Future of Encryption Software Market Reviewed in a New Research Study 2019-2025 - Daily News Reports 24 - December 21st, 2019
- Fortanix expert on how European companies are taking back control of their data in the cloud - Intelligent CIO ME - December 21st, 2019
- What's that? Encryption's OK now? UK politicos Brexit from Whatsapp to Signal - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD radio encryption most likely wont happen in 2020 but will soon - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- If You Think Encryption Back Doors Won't Be Abused, You May Be a Member of Congress - Reason - December 20th, 2019
- The decline of passwords, the rise of encryption and deepfakes cybersecurity predictions for 2020 - BetaNews - December 20th, 2019
- Facebook's Push for End-to-End Encryption Is Good News for User Privacy, as Well as Terrorists and Paedophiles - Nextgov - December 20th, 2019
- Internet of crap (encryption): IoT gear is generating easy-to-crack keys - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- What Is Snatch Ransomware and How to Remove It - Guiding Tech - December 20th, 2019
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD Eyeing Encrypted Radios to Protect Criminal Investigations - Officer - December 20th, 2019
- Volunteer firefighters, EMTs worry they won't have NYPD radio access to help public - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- What We Learned About the Technology That Times Journalists Use - The New York Times - December 20th, 2019
- The Senate Judiciary Committee Wants Everyone to Know It's Concerned About Encryption - EFF - December 14th, 2019
- The Defense Department Says It Needs the Encryption the FBI Wants to Break - Free - December 14th, 2019
- Congress wants to regulate encryption for big tech - The Burn-In - December 14th, 2019
- Facebook says it won't break end-to-end encryption - TechRadar - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption spat sees backdoor back-and-forth between tech firms, Congress - TelecomTV - December 14th, 2019
- Michael Hayden Ran The NSA And CIA: Now Warns That Encryption Backdoors Will Harm American Security & Tech Leadership - Techdirt - December 14th, 2019
- Large, diverse coalition of civil society groups tell the US, UK and Australian governments not to ban working encryption - Boing Boing - December 14th, 2019
- U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman of Ohio says agents need access encrypted devices, apps for the sake of public s - cleveland.com - December 14th, 2019
- Google makes it safer to text on Android phones, but end-to-end encryption is still MIA - PCWorld - December 14th, 2019
- Priti Patel bids to create end-to-end encryption apps' back door - The National - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption can't put tech giants beyond the reach of the law, Minister says - The Age - December 14th, 2019
- Chrome 79 includes anti-phishing and hacked password protection - Naked Security - December 14th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2027 - Downey... - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption back on the congressional agenda - Politico - December 9th, 2019
- Police radios blocked from the public in southeast Denver metro area - The Denver Post - December 9th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2029| Microsoft, Sophos Ltd., Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. -... - December 9th, 2019
- Did You Hear That? Securing Communications in 2019 | Insight for the Connected Enterprise - No Jitter - December 9th, 2019
- 'Government broke their promise': Labor seeks to amend encryption legislation - Sydney Morning Herald - December 9th, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2019 Innovation and Technological Developments, Industry Analysis & Outlook 2023 - Weekly News... - December 9th, 2019
- Privacy vs public safety - the pros and cons of encryption - World Economic Forum - December 8th, 2019
- 80% of all Android apps encrypt traffic by default - We Live Security - December 8th, 2019
- Keybase moves to stop onslaught of spammers on encrypted message platform - Ars Technica - December 8th, 2019
- Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- Nick Clegg to be summoned to Parliament to give evidence on Facebook encryption - Sunriseread - December 8th, 2019
- This startup just solves the data privacy problem by making it possible to search encrypted data in the cloud - TechStartups.com - December 8th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2017-2027 - Weekly Spy - December 8th, 2019
- Millions of Private Text Messages Have Been Exposed: Here's How to Encrypt Messages on iPhone and Android - Tech Times - December 8th, 2019
- Biometric Data Encryption Device Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2018 to 2028 -... - December 8th, 2019
- Certbot Leaves Beta with the Release of 1.0 - EFF - December 8th, 2019