A recent study from Facebook and BCG said that awareness of conversational commerce is highest across Southeast Asia at 72% and that 94% of those surveyed plan to maintain or increase their spending. When did conversational commerce become a priority for Facebook Messenger?
When we started to see that people are finding ways to talk to businesses and vice versa on Messenger.
We had anticipated it would happen, but just didnt know when. Businesses invariably follow people whenever theres a shift to new media. It happened with messaging pretty much like it happened before with phones, radios or email.
Once we realised that people were cracking this, we thought of giving them the tools to do it better because if they can do it well, they will do more of it.
And so we introduced Click to Message ads that open out as a thread. That became one of the fastest growing ad product for us. To a large extent, it is happening in the Asia-Pacific region.
Considering how Messenger has developed and evolved: did it have more to do with sticking with a long term plan or being very adaptable?
It was probably a bit of both. We set up a few core principles and focused on them unless there was new information that presented itself. But on the peripheries, we tried to be nimble.
The main thesis for Messenger was that people want to communicate more privately and spend greater amounts of time in messaging apps.
And that they want to do more than just messaging in these apps. We stayed the course there and built features that allowed for that to happen. But there were other examples where we tried to learn quickly.
For instance, some of the things that people did when it came to messaging businesses we didnt know that would happen.
But once you give people the ability to communicate with businesses, you start to learn from those interactions in Singapore, Vietnam and other places in Asia. We have learnt from use cases that people have created which dont exist elsewhere. And then we try to turn those into products.
We focus on what people want to do and believe the rest will follow.
Is something like WeChat which had its origins in messaging but is now styling itself as a super app something that you would like Messenger to become?
We believe that there are many more things that you can build on top of messaging. I cant say we want to be everything and like WeChat, but I do want to say that a bunch of use cases that it has tackled are the use cases that we would want our people to tackle on Messenger as well.
Of the different sort of advertising options that exist for marketers within Messenger from bots to running ads within the messenger inbox what has got the most traction?
From the standpoint of ads, Click to Message has been doing amazingly well.
When it comes down to tools, the simple ones are the best liked. For instance, click replies when you can set up automated replies.
The ability to switch from automated conversation to actual conversation that transition to a human being who can receive your payment, or close a deal.
Different insurance and auto firms use it very well for lead generation. You see a car, watch the video and with a couple of clicks, set up an appointment for a test drive. It works for you, the dealership and the manufacturer.
Its the same with insurance quotes. Our platform has been able to deliver on that quite well.
One of the simple solutions I find very compelling are business oriented stickers that could say things like no discounts; or I dont want to negotiate. They communicate what needs to be said so much faster because you just tap on it. Those are the solutions that I find compelling and they can drive a lot of upside for advertisers.
There are persistent stories and lots of anecdotal evidence about ads being served up on Facebook based on conversations people have been having leading to the feeling among lots of people that Facebook is listening in. Considering Messenger chats are typically a lot more personal, dont you think the suspicion is going to be far greater? How do you draw the line between relevant and contextual, to something where people are conscious rightly or wrongly of a violation of privacy?
That is one of the reasons we want to be end-to-end encrypted. Then, we wouldnt have the ability to do that even if we wanted to.
Right now, we are saying no we are not doing it. But we want to get to the stage where we can say: We couldnt even if we wanted to and heres why. And we can show that to anyone who has any questions, because of the way we have architected ourselves.
Its been a rough two or more years for Facebook. What sort of an impact does the conversation and criticism around the brand have on the people working within? Is this an issue you have to contend with as the leader of a product?
It is something we constantly need to talk about since Facebook has an open culture. And so criticism from outside or raising concerns, affects everyone who works in the company. We constantly sit down and have these conversations.
People ask how do we address those concerns? We have been very open and public about how we are thinking about these critiques. We are addressing some of it because it is valid; others we are disagreeing with and pushing back on.
We are having conversations on this both internally and externally. Our key is to have the exact same conversation externally as we do internally. I think weve been doing a better job on that.
You were an entrepreneur who has been a part of a string of successful startups social networking site Tickle that was acquired by Monster, Goodreads, Iron Pearl that was acquired by PayPal. How did you come to join Facebook? Were there any other options you were evaluating at the time?
You are right in the sense that people usually dont do a bunch of successful startups and end up in big companies its generally the other way round.
I wouldnt have gone to any company other than Facebook. It was either Facebook or not working for a while or working with my friends or some investing vehicle and things in that space. It was very special in the sense that I was interested in working on networks that affect businesses.
In addition, it was obvious to me even six or seven years ago that messaging is where the whole world was headed. Messaging being a fundamental human need is something that I had been thinking about for a while, and so when the opportunity presented itself to work on the next frontier of a company that Id admired from a distance, it was difficult to say no.
Considering you moved from the Soviet Union, how did advertising in the United States strike you?
We didnt have much advertising in the Soviet Union. When I arrived in 1994, it was a whole new world for me that I didnt understand very well.
Over time, you learn and the most simple things end up working. It is just very straightforward: explaining the different upsides and downsides of different things.
- The Senate Judiciary Committee Wants Everyone to Know It's Concerned About Encryption - EFF - December 14th, 2019
- The Defense Department Says It Needs the Encryption the FBI Wants to Break - Free - December 14th, 2019
- Congress wants to regulate encryption for big tech - The Burn-In - December 14th, 2019
- Facebook says it won't break end-to-end encryption - TechRadar - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption spat sees backdoor back-and-forth between tech firms, Congress - TelecomTV - December 14th, 2019
- Michael Hayden Ran The NSA And CIA: Now Warns That Encryption Backdoors Will Harm American Security & Tech Leadership - Techdirt - December 14th, 2019
- Large, diverse coalition of civil society groups tell the US, UK and Australian governments not to ban working encryption - Boing Boing - December 14th, 2019
- U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman of Ohio says agents need access encrypted devices, apps for the sake of public s - cleveland.com - December 14th, 2019
- Google makes it safer to text on Android phones, but end-to-end encryption is still MIA - PCWorld - December 14th, 2019
- Priti Patel bids to create end-to-end encryption apps' back door - The National - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption can't put tech giants beyond the reach of the law, Minister says - The Age - December 14th, 2019
- Chrome 79 includes anti-phishing and hacked password protection - Naked Security - December 14th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2027 - Downey... - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption back on the congressional agenda - Politico - December 9th, 2019
- Police radios blocked from the public in southeast Denver metro area - The Denver Post - December 9th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2029| Microsoft, Sophos Ltd., Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. -... - December 9th, 2019
- Did You Hear That? Securing Communications in 2019 | Insight for the Connected Enterprise - No Jitter - December 9th, 2019
- 'Government broke their promise': Labor seeks to amend encryption legislation - Sydney Morning Herald - December 9th, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2019 Innovation and Technological Developments, Industry Analysis & Outlook 2023 - Weekly News... - December 9th, 2019
- Privacy vs public safety - the pros and cons of encryption - World Economic Forum - December 8th, 2019
- 80% of all Android apps encrypt traffic by default - We Live Security - December 8th, 2019
- Keybase moves to stop onslaught of spammers on encrypted message platform - Ars Technica - December 8th, 2019
- Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- Nick Clegg to be summoned to Parliament to give evidence on Facebook encryption - Sunriseread - December 8th, 2019
- This startup just solves the data privacy problem by making it possible to search encrypted data in the cloud - TechStartups.com - December 8th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2017-2027 - Weekly Spy - December 8th, 2019
- Millions of Private Text Messages Have Been Exposed: Here's How to Encrypt Messages on iPhone and Android - Tech Times - December 8th, 2019
- Biometric Data Encryption Device Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2018 to 2028 -... - December 8th, 2019
- Certbot Leaves Beta with the Release of 1.0 - EFF - December 8th, 2019
- Terrific News for Android OS Users 80% Android apps encrypting traffic by default - Digital Information World - December 8th, 2019
- Hawk Security Limited Began Selling a Hardware-Protected External SSD Drive with Aes 256 XTS Military Grade Encryption - AiThority - December 8th, 2019
- Data security is falling behind as over half of FIs experience data breaches - IBS Intelligence - December 8th, 2019
- Email Encryption Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - VaporBlash - December 8th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Size, CAGR Status, Key Players, Growth Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Encryption Software Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Daily Research Stack - December 2nd, 2019
- Fortinet took 18 months to strip software of flawed crypto cipher and keys - The Daily Swig - December 1st, 2019
- Mobile Encryption Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2019 To 2025 - The Market Publicist - December 1st, 2019
- NordPass: Get rid of password stress. Forever. - EE Journal - December 1st, 2019
- Apple patents anti-snooping technology that would stop police from tracking locations and messages - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Research Report by Geographical Analysis and Forecast 2017-2027 - Kentucky Reports - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market : Industry Research, Growth Trends And Opportunities For The Forecast Period 2019-2029 - News Description - November 28th, 2019
- iStorage cloudAshur is named: Security Innovation of the Year at the UK IT Industry Awards 2019 - ResponseSource - November 28th, 2019
- Database Encryption Market Analysis Report by Product Type, Industry Application and Future Technology 2025 (International Business Machines... - November 28th, 2019
- The IT Guide to Enforcing Full Disk Encryption Windows Edition - Security Boulevard - November 28th, 2019
- Why The FBI's Former Top Lawyer Now Embraces Encryption - Law360 - November 28th, 2019
- Big Boom in Cloud Encryption Market over 2019-2026 with CipherCloud Inc., Hytrust Inc., Gemalto NV, IBM Corporation and more - Market Expert - November 28th, 2019
- Encrypted Flash Drives Market Size, Growth, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Segments and Forecast 2019-2024 - Space Market Research - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Global Industry Status, Segment by Region, Type and Future Forecast To 2026 - Financial News - November 28th, 2019
- FBI worried about criminals having unfettered access to encryption technology - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is End-to-End Encryption? Another Bulls-Eye on Big Tech - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Think of the children: FBI sought Interpol statement against end-to-end crypto - Ars Technica - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report... - November 23rd, 2019
- Moniker makes a statement with The Encryption EP - The Untz - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report 2019-2024 - BeetleVersion - November 23rd, 2019
- NSA Publishes Advisory Addressing Encrypted Traffic Inspection Risks - BleepingComputer - November 23rd, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - November 23rd, 2019
- Microsoft Windows 10 To Natively Support DNS Over HTTPS Encryption And Obfuscation Technique Making Internet Traffic Monitoring Near Impossible -... - November 23rd, 2019
- Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10 - TWCN Tech News - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is Homomorphic Encryption? And Why Is It So Transformative? - Forbes - November 19th, 2019
- FBI Recruits Interpol to Condemn End-to-End Encryption - WebProNews - November 19th, 2019
- Is encryption to blame for WhatsApp snooping? - Livemint - November 19th, 2019
- BEST PRACTICES: Resurgence of encrypted thumb drives shows value of offline backups in the field - Security Boulevard - November 19th, 2019
- Astonishing Growth in Global encryption software market size was valued at USD 2.98 billion in 2018. It is projected to post a CAGR of 16.8% from 2019... - November 19th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Latest Analysis and Future Forecast 2019 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 19th, 2019
- Microsoft Jumps on the DoH Train Company to Introduce Encrypted DNS - Computer Business Review - November 19th, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Technology Market 2018 Manufacturers, Types and Application, Analysis History and Forecast 2025 - Galus Australis - November 19th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Market Growth Forecast Analysis by Top Manufacturers, Regions, Product Types and Application (2019 - 2026) - News Obtain - November 19th, 2019
- The Best Encryption Software for 2019 | PCMag.com - October 21st, 2019
- What is data encryption? - October 19th, 2019
- USB Enforced Encryption - Endpoint Protector - October 19th, 2019
- Authenticated encryption - Crypto++ Wiki - October 19th, 2019
- Tinder's Lack of Encryption Lets Strangers Spy on Your ... - October 19th, 2019
- 'Without Encryption, We Will Lose All Privacy': Snowden ... - October 18th, 2019
- Security pros reiterate warning against encryption backdoors - October 18th, 2019
- Encryption - servicepro.wiki - October 18th, 2019
- Mozy Encryption - October 18th, 2019
- Optical Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends and Forecast ... - October 18th, 2019
- MySQL Enterprise Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) - October 18th, 2019
- What is Encryption? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 17th, 2019
- How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows - October 2nd, 2019