Government-mandated encryption backdoors make countries, and more specifically their election systems, vulnerable to cyber attack, 74% of information security professionals warn.
At the same time, 72% believe laws that allow governments to access encrypted personal data will not make citizens safer from terrorists, according to a poll by security firm Venafi of 384 attendees of the Black Hat USA 2019 security conference earlier in August in Las Vegas.
The findings echo a similar poll of attendees of RSA Conference 2019 in San Francisco in March, which showed 73% of respondents were opposed to government-mandated backdoors.
Governments and law enforcement officials around the world, particularly in the Five Eyesintelligence alliance, continue to push for encryption backdoors, which they claim are necessary in the interests of national safety and security as criminals and terrorists increasingly communicated via encrypted online services.
According to the Five Eyes governments, the increasing gap between the ability of law enforcement to lawfully access data and their ability to acquire and use the content of that data is a pressing international concern that requires urgent, sustained attention and informed discussion.
Last month, the US Senate Intelligence Committee reported that election systems in all 50 states were targeted by Russia during the 2016 election, said Kevin Bocek, vice-president of security strategy and threat intelligence at Venafi.
We know that encryption backdoors dramatically increase security risks for every kind of sensitive data, and that includes all types of data that affects our national security. The IT security community overwhelmingly agrees that encryption backdoors would have a disastrous impact on the integrity of our elections and on our digital economy as a whole.
Opponents of encryption backdoors have said repeatedly that government-mandated weaknesses in encryption systems put the privacy and security of everyone at risk the same backdoors can be exploited by hackers.
The survey also shows that 70% of the Black Hat USA respondents believe countries with government-mandated encryption backdoors are at an economic disadvantage in the global marketplace, while 84% would never knowingly use a device or program from a company that agreed to install a backdoor.
Bocek added: On a consumer level, people want technology that prioritises the security and privacy of their personal data. This kind of trust is priceless. Encryption backdoors would not only make us much less safe at a national level, they also clearly have the potential to inflict significant economic and political damage.
In July 2019, US attorney general William Barr said consumers should accept the risks that encryption backdoors pose to their personal security to ensure law enforcement can access encrypted communications. But more recently, Canadas public safety minister Ralph Goodale called for his government to work with internet companies to find a balance between internet privacy and the needs of law enforcement.
In December 2018,the parliament of another Five Eyes member, Australia, passed controversial legislation requiring tech businesses to create encryption backdoorswithin their products, prompting criticism from security and privacy advocacy groups, including theElectronic Frontier Foundation(EFF).
The Australian legislation is based on the UKs equally controversialInvestigatory Powers Act, but the Australian law goes a step further by including the power to compel individual network administrators, sysadmins, and open source developers to comply with secret demands, including potentially to force them to keep their cooperation secret from their managers, lawyers and executive leadership.
The US, Canada, Australia and the UK are all members of theFive Eyesintelligence alliance, which in September 2018called on tech firms to include backdoors in their encrypted productsto give access to law enforcement authorities or face various measures.
The group said it encouraged information and communications technology service providers to voluntarily establish lawful access solutions to their products and services, but warned in astatementthat should governments continue to encounter impediments to lawful access to information necessary to aid the protection of the citizens of our countries, we may pursue technological, enforcement, legislative or other measures to achieve lawful access solutions.
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati Research team working towards protecting data from cyber attacks - India Today - September 4th, 2020
- Five Security Blind Spots You Might Not Realize You Have - Government Technology - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption MARKET 2020 BY MANUFACTURERS, REGIONS, TYPE AND APPLICATION, FORECAST TO 2027 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 by: Gemalto, Riverbed Technology, IBM Corporation, SolarWinds Inc., Juniper Networks... - September 4th, 2020
- What is the Importance of Encryption in the Business Network - Enterprise Security Mag - September 2nd, 2020
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for the Nextcloud app - TechRepublic - September 2nd, 2020
- The Feds Need to Listen in on Your Encrypted Knowledge. It is "for the Youngsters." - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the best VPN bang for your buck - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption: Deriving analytics and insights from encrypted data - CSO Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Key Management 2020-2025 | Global Market Trends, Applications, Size, Types, Key Manufacturers and Forecast Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 2nd, 2020
- IIT Guwahati researchers develop algorithms to protect information like health data from cyberattacks - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size 2020 By Global Business Trends, Share, Future Demand, Leading Players Updates and Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 2nd, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market : Global Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Encrypt Files with gocryptfs on Linux - How-To Geek - September 2nd, 2020
- GlobeX Data launches Sekur, its secure, encrypted email and messaging solution - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 2nd, 2020
- What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News - September 2nd, 2020
- Activate these 4 WhatsApp settings NOW to stop snoopers including face-lock and encryption - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- TLS Is Only as Strong as Its Weakest Link - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market Trends, Size, Share, Status, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Insights Business Opportunities, Current Trends And Restraints Forecast 2026 - Reports Watch - September 2nd, 2020
- 9 ways to build privacy into cloud applications - Reseller News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia's New Blockchain Voting System Isn't Ready, but It'll Be Used This Month Anyway - Business Blockchain HQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption and endpoint control: the heroes of post-lockdown data security - TEISS - August 20th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 - The News Brok - August 20th, 2020
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 252: The Key To Encryption - Techdirt - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Develop Attacks Targeting End-to-End Encryption in Emails - Decipher - August 20th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market- Global Outlook and Forecast 2018-2026 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 20th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Data Encryption Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 20th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overvie - News by aeresearch - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Why it's important to encrypt everything, everywhere, all the time - SecurityBrief Asia - August 20th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market with Brief Introduction, Industry Overview, Scope, Size and Forecast Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- What is On-the-Fly Memory Encryption? - Electropages - August 8th, 2020
- AFP says it made three requests for assistance in breaking encryption in 2019-20 - iTWire - August 8th, 2020
- Blue Canyon Technologies Tapped to Build QETSSat Encryption Satellite - Via Satellite - August 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the Details of Influence Factors- 2024 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Exorcist Ransomware and CIS Exclusion - Security Boulevard - August 8th, 2020
- Beyond Krk: Even more WiFi chips vulnerable to eavesdropping - We Live Security - August 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Endpoint Encryption Software Market based on types and application - The Daily Chronicle - August 8th, 2020
- This hardware-encrypted USB-C drive is rugged, inexpensive, and can run Windows - TechRadar UK - August 8th, 2020
- Zoom's COO is not concerned by app bans in India, says end-to-end encryption for all by year end - Economic Times - August 8th, 2020
- Jihadi Use Of Bots On The Encrypted Messaging Platform Telegram - Middle East Media Research Institute - August 8th, 2020
- Thoughts on encryption legislation - and the real 'link' between 5G and coronavirus - Cloud Tech - July 21st, 2020
- Twitter Urged To Beef Up Encryption 07/20/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - July 21st, 2020
- Research Report on Data Encryption Service Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Bill That Mandates Cyber Backdoors Will Leave Front Doors Wide Open - CPO Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- These encrypted iStorage hard drives and flash drives are the ultimate peace of mind for your data - Boing Boing - July 21st, 2020
- Virtual and face-to-face connect to coexist: Zoom COO - Fortune India - July 21st, 2020
- Facebook's Rolling Out Touch ID and Face ID Lock Options for Messenger - Social Media Today - July 21st, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis : Gemalto, Sophos,... - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Comprehensive Analysis With Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast By 2027 - Connected... - July 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Have 'No Way' to Comply With US Anti-Encryption Bills - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2020-2027 - Jewish Life News - July 17th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Worth $9.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overviews With Key Players, Size Growth Drivers As Well As Industry Challenges Opportunities To 2027 - Connected Lifestyle - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Forecast Report Till 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Overview by Size, Share, Financial Services, Applications, Sales Data and Investment Opportunities till 2025 - Apsters... - July 17th, 2020
- Flash drives and hard drives with military-grade encryption on sale - Mashable - July 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market: Size, Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Express Journal - July 17th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020