The surfacing of private WhatsApp exchanges between Bollywood actors amid the investigation into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput has raised questions about the platforms security, and whether the app indeed protects user privacy. Mint takes a deep dive.
What does end-to-end encryption mean?
When texts are sent from your phone, there are three points of contactyour phone, WhatsApps servers and the receivers phone. So, between WhatsApps server and the receiver, the so-called Man In The Middle (MITM) attacks are possible. Besides, WhatsApp, its parent Facebook could technically access texts when theyre on server. In end-to-end encryption, the transmitted text is encrypted all the time, ensuring that only the sender and receiver can read it in plain text. This reduces chances of MITM attacks or leaks at the service provider. Even if a person does intercept the text, theyll get unreadable encrypted texts only.
Do all exchanges via WhatsApp remain pvt?
While end-to-end encryption is a powerful protection measure, it doesnt guard against physical access to ones messages. Your phones lock code encrypts all data inside it, and whenever the correct code is entered, data is available in plain text. You could set up the lock code to be entered a second time before WhatsApp is opened, but that doesnt help much. Messaging application Signal allows users to set up a separate Signal PIN, though if youre forced to hand over your phone to the authoritieslike in the case with Bollywood actors currentlyyoull probably have to disclose your PIN too.
View Full Image
Are there safer alternatives to WhatsApp currently?
Signal and Telegram are popular. Besides, since they arent as big as WhatsApp there may be less effortespecially by governmentsto compromise their systems. Signal has more security features and endorsement from whistleblower Edward Snowden, which is why users opt for it. But even Signal cant do much to protect against physical access to a phone.
Does WhatsApp have built-in backdoors?
WhatsApp uses the open source Signal protocol for encryption, which is a sort of a defence against backdoors. Theoretically, since the encryption code is open sourced, experts can spot backdoors. The government may say backdoors wont be open to the public, but an existing backdoor can be found by attackers and security experts. That said, WhatsApps overall code is closed source, so you cant be sure how the Signal protocol is implemented, and with what modifications. Your only option, in that case, is to trust WhatsApp.
How much can one trust Facebook?
WhatsApp was the icon of openness for long. Many experts still say WhatsApp has done a lot to ensure no backdoors can be mandated by governments, but many have trouble trusting Facebook, given its track record on user privacy. The company has vested interests with all big governments, so the argument is, why Facebook would side with users instead of authorities. The point that Facebook needs users is thin too, since the company gets a big part of its data from being able to track users outside its platforms.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
See the original post here:
Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint
- What Is the Signal Encryption Protocol? - WIRED - November 30th, 2020
- Data Protection | The Pros and Cons of End-to-End Encryption - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Growth, Types, Applications, Dynamics, Companies, Regions, & Forecast to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2027 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- EU targets end-to-end encryption tools after rise in terror attacks - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- European Legislators Move to Eliminate End-to-End Encryption in Messaging Services Following Terror Attacks - Digital Information World - November 30th, 2020
- Facebook urged to end encryption to help cops stop paedophiles using app - The Sun - November 30th, 2020
- Inside the French governments mission to develop an encrypted messaging platform - NS Tech - November 30th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Key Manufacturers, Demand, Application And Opportunities By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- The tech and security backends that keep your data safe - Business MattersBusiness Matters - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Will Generate Record Revenue by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Symmetric Encryption Algorithms: Live Long & Encrypt - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - November 24th, 2020
- Google plans to test end-to-end encryption in Android messages - TechCrunch - November 24th, 2020
- Google Messages Set to Roll Out End-to-End Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Did they crack the code? The importance of encryption for protest movements - OpenGlobalRights - November 24th, 2020
- The EU's muddled approach to encryption - The Spectator US - November 24th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2022 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- How to recover data from a Mac with T2 or FileVault encryption and without a password - Macworld - November 24th, 2020
- Security flaws in smart doorbells may open the door to hackers - We Live Security - November 24th, 2020
- Document Encryption Software Market 2020 - Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic, Future Development, Top Manufacturers Analysis, Trends and Demand discussed in... - November 24th, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market is expected to reach $259.12 billion by 2026 | CAGR 32.4% - WhaTech - November 24th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2020 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- Arrests and raids in Essex as police crackdown on encrypted criminal networks - Gazette - November 24th, 2020
- 2020 and Beyond: Homomorphic Encryption Market Trends and Outlook Study to 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 24th, 2020
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020