Jennifer IndovinaRIT alumna, entrepreneur, international TED Fellow and adjunct faculty memberwas part of the WXXI team that won a 2021 New York Emmy for its educational and career focused programming, I Can be What?
Announced recently during the 64th annual New York Emmy Awards ceremony, the award was given in the Children/Youth (12-and-Under) Short-form Content category. Winners were Indovina, host; Erin McCormack, executive producer;and producers Karen Heller, Katie Epner, Cara Rager, Todd McCammon, and Lisa Famiglietti. It was one of five earned by the local NPR affiliate.
As host of the program, Indovina interacts with individuals in exciting jobsfrom zookeepers to pilots to dancersto show how young people can make career dreams possible.
We try to show kids not just how a typical day might look but also the personality fit, the culture of the job, and what might draw you to do it outside of just educational requirements. We concentrated on how you can still spark interest and curiosity in kids by showing jobs that could match their skills and personalities, said Indovina 06 (electrical engineering), 07 (MBA). Its about setting realistic expectations and seeing what its like to be in someone elses shoes.
Indovina is comfortable trying on different shoes.
Im constantly drawn to different mediums and how they could collaborate together, she said. I believe in crossover, lets bridge technology, entertainment, design, and art, and lets look at it from a child-like place of wonder and see what we can build together.
The Emmy is one more success Indovina built.
She started a business, TENREHTE, a clean-tech company that develops the PICOwatt Smart Plug, an energy-saving outlet adapter. She and the team participated in the annual Consumer Electronics Show. TENREHTE held its own among giants, winning the 2010 Best of CES Green Technologies award. Some other winners that year included Panasonic, Motorola, and Ford Motor companies.
That was a Cinderella story, she said.
After sharing TENREHTEs story during the 2010 TED conference, she became a TED Fellow the next year and continues with the international community through the Fellows and as co-founder of TEDx Rochester.
At RIT, she gives back in several ways, volunteering with students in the campus organization Engineering World Heath. Indovina gives a series of workshops on using and repairing medical devices and equipment the students traveling to Haiti or Guatemala will work with during their stay in the countries. Most recently, she began teaching 3D digital design and physical interface design in RITs College of Art and Design. And students in the Multidisciplinary Senior Design Program in the engineering college interact with her as a professional guide.
Its fun to see what the students are building, and as a guide, its great that I can bring in the entrepreneurial aspect, share information with them about product commercialization and how to go from the white board to the schematics to the productbringing all the new product development ideas together, she said. Students are enjoying it and so am I.
Follow this link:
- February Engineering Activity: Properties of Materials Additives - All Together - Society of Women Engineers - January 22nd, 2022
- Former UA engineering professor Simon Ang pleads guilty to lying to FBI agent about patents in China - Arkansas Times - January 22nd, 2022
- Delhi court denies anticipatory bail to engineering student in GitHub case: His conduct an affront to secularism - The Indian Express - January 22nd, 2022
- Adaptable and future-ready, engineers at Michigan Tech are always geared for the future - Study International News - January 22nd, 2022
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Full Professor in Mechanical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA | 278611 - Times... - January 22nd, 2022
- Lima Senior High School Audio Engineering and Technology program in its first year and doing well - Your News Now - January 22nd, 2022
- Different Types of Engineering: Salary and Job Outlook |SNHU - January 20th, 2022
- Innovative engineering program at Carroll High School offers students 'the best chance at whatever is next in life for them' - My catholic standard - January 20th, 2022
- Engineering firm will close NE Portland factory, lay off up to 40 - OregonLive - January 20th, 2022
- SEEQC Announces Addition of Scientific Advisory Board, Vice President of Engineering and Unveils New Brand Identity - Business Wire - January 20th, 2022
- TOPTAL LAUNCHES NEW E-BOOK AIMED AT HELPING ENGINEERING LEADERS NAVIGATE THE CHALLENGES OF BUILDING, SCALING THEIR TEAMS - PRNewswire - January 20th, 2022
- Social Engineering in the News: SMiShing - Security Boulevard - January 20th, 2022
- Army Corps of Engineers Rock Island District to get $1.2 billion for Upper Mississippi River valley - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - January 20th, 2022
- Fort Worth's Panther Island project gets $403 million from Army Corps of Engineers - WFAA.com - January 20th, 2022
- Wellfield Technologies to Expand its Engineering Development Capacity for Seamless Brand with a new Hub in Portugal - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2022
- PhD Studentship, Civil, Maritime and Environmental Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 278270 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 20th, 2022
- Glitch Your Way To Reverse-Engineering Glory With The PicoEMP - Hackaday - January 16th, 2022
- Women and Minorities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Fields Grant Program (WAMS) | National Institute of Food and Agriculture -... - January 16th, 2022
- Does Shapir Engineering and Industry (TLV:SPEN) Have A Healthy Balance Sheet? - Simply Wall St - January 16th, 2022
- General Engineer Job in Fort Bliss, Texas - Department of the Army - LemonWire - January 16th, 2022
- Drexel University, School of Biomedical Engineering: Where biomedical engineering and business experts are made - Study International News - January 16th, 2022
- Improvement of Energy and Production Efficiency and Rapid Advancements in Protein Engineering to Support Revenue Growth of Industrial Enzymes Market:... - January 16th, 2022
- I Was an Engineer at a Major Automaker. Here's the Dark Side of the Job - The Drive - January 16th, 2022
- Global Precision Engineering Machines Market Forecast to Reach USD 19.27 Billion by 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- James Webb Space Telescope: The engineering behind a 'first light machine' that is not allowed to fail - Space.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Diesel Engines Move Goods Around the Globe; UVA Engineers Work to Curb Emissions - University of Virginia - December 22nd, 2021
- 2021's news highlights from the Faculty of Science and Engineering - The University of Manchester - December 22nd, 2021
- Learning science and engineering gets more effective, accessible, and fun with this portable teaching box! - Yanko Design - December 22nd, 2021
- Research Engineer job with KHALIFA UNIVERSITY | 275757 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Data Curation and Governance are the Top-Two Data Engineering Challenges for 2022 - Solutions Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Engineering and IT jobseekers connect with employers at career fair - Chicago Daily Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- PhD Studentship, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 275929 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Tax issue and pandemic delay liquidation process of UB Engineering - Deccan Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- Lecturer, Engineering and Computing Education job with UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE | 275515 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- Research Fellow, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering job with QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST | 275496 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- YouTuber engineer unleashes new glitter bombs on package thieves - fox5sandiego.com - December 20th, 2021
- Ask the Engineers: 'What is the best way to gain skills in an alternative discipline?' - Professional Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Professor Barry Webb AM awarded honorary Doctor of Engineering - News - The University of Sydney - December 20th, 2021
- Zain strategic partner of 40th Engineering Design Exhibition - Kuwait Times - December 20th, 2021
- INEOS and Petroineos at Grangemouth partner with Plastic Energy - Hydrocarbon Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Paul Sheerin: Engineers remain well placed to weather the storm - HeraldScotland - December 20th, 2021
- Commins hails strong driver/engineer relationship with Kostecki - Speedcafe - December 20th, 2021
- Death of engineer and Ipswich company boss Ron Gosling - Ipswich Star - December 20th, 2021
- Clarivate, the Chinese Academy of Engineering and the Higher Education Press of China Release Annual Joint Report to Identify 186 Engineering Fronts -... - December 14th, 2021
- Freak of Nature Clarkson Graduate Named National Engineering Association's Young Professional of the Year - Clarkson University News - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering group unlocks the creativity of University Technology Office minds with automation - ASU Now - December 14th, 2021
- Codex aims to enable engineers to collaborate within an IDE - VentureBeat - December 14th, 2021
- Penn Engineering Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Dedicates New Suite to Foundational Figures - UPENN Almanac - December 14th, 2021
- Renovation/Restoration, Award of Merit: The National - Engineering News-Record - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering alumnus Forehand offers sage advice to Auburn graduates during fall commencement speech - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 14th, 2021
- Trine inducts 10 into Order of the Engineer | Heraldrepublican | kpcnews.com - KPCnews.com - December 14th, 2021
- Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Positions at Northeastern University College of Engineering job with Northeastern University | 421222 - The Chronicle of... - December 14th, 2021
- The kind of engineering education we need - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- $1.5M study to explore human-centered engineering instruction | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- UM creates first robotics department among top 10 engineering schools | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- Swerving prevention method prompts new patent for USF engineers - University of South Florida - December 3rd, 2021
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers and Discovery Education Partner to Unlock Student Success Through Engineering - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineer's bat-inspired artificial brain could improve submarine navigation - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineers: Transforming lives and inspiring communities - The Irish Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Launching the Future of Biomedical Engineering Education - Ole Miss News - December 3rd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineering's Singh recognized for teaching beyond the classroom - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 2nd, 2021
- Engineering team honored in water systems challenge - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 2nd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Danfoss Turbocor announces multiyear collaboration with FAMU-FSU College of Engineering - Florida State News - December 2nd, 2021
- Student explores the broad engineering workforce with co-ops and internships - Virginia Tech Daily - December 2nd, 2021
- 6 fast facts on the current biomedical engineering workforce - Becker's Hospital Review - December 2nd, 2021
- Skills and responsibilities in a QA engineer role - TechTarget - December 2nd, 2021
- OverIT completes the Spin-Off from the Engineering Group by Bain Capital and NB Renaissance and announces Nicola Cattarossi as new CFO - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Broadway announces three top promotions: CTO, VP of Engineering, and CIO - FinanceFeeds - December 2nd, 2021
- The Technology Shaping the Future: 5 engineering predictions for the years ahead - Professional Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- The Engineering of Glass Will Leave You Astonished - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- An Airbus A340 Landed in Antarctica for the First Time Ever - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- 20-year-old engineering student from Kerala becomes inspiration for other girls - The New Indian Express - December 2nd, 2021
- Digital Engineering Spend to account for more than 50% of the overall Global Engineering R&D Spend and will grow rapidly at 19% to exceed USD 1 Tn by... - November 17th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Helps Organizations Maximize VMware Investments with Rackspace Elastic Engineering for VMware - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- ORITE to host meeting with Ohio county engineers, other transportation leaders - Ohio University - November 17th, 2021
- ICC and Define Tech Add Engineering Solutions to Their Suite of Turnkey Clusters - HPCwire - November 17th, 2021
- SWARM Engineering and Virginia Tech Collaborate to Solve Problems in the Agri-Food Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- L&T Technology Services Chosen by NVIDIA and Mavenir as Engineering Partner to Accelerate Adoption of Industrys First Converged AI-on-5G Platform -... - November 17th, 2021