In honor of his work to develop new biomedical technologies, UM engineering Dean David Puleo has been inducted as a fellow of the National Academy of Inventors. Photo by Megan Wolfe/Ole Miss Digital Imaging Services
OXFORD, Miss. David A. Puleo, dean of the School of Engineering and professor of biomedical engineering at the University of Mississippi, has been inducted as a fellow of the National Academy of Inventors.
Puleo is among 115 inventors elected as 2020 fellows by the NAI, which recognizes and encourages inventors with patents issued from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and one of 11 chosen from the Southeastern Conference. The new fellows ceremony took place Nov. 3 during the academys 10th annual meeting in Tampa, Florida.
The organizations mission is to enhance the visibility of academic technology and innovation and translate the inventions of its members to benefit society.
I am flattered that my colleagues nominated me for fellowship in the NAI, and my induction is a great reflection of the efforts of my students and collaborators during my career, Puleo said. My membership provides the opportunity to bring recognition to some of the outstanding innovators and their work at Ole Miss.
I look forward to seeing my Ole Miss colleagues recognized for their impressive technological innovations that positively affect lives across the state, nation, and world.
Election to NAI fellow status is the highest professional distinction accorded to academic inventors who have demonstrated a prolific spirit of innovation in creating or facilitating outstanding inventions that have made a tangible impact on quality of life, economic development and the welfare of society.
Ole Miss researchers create technologies that have impact in many areas, from health care to the environment to national defense, said Josh Gladden, vice chancellor of research and sponsored programs. Dean Puleos induction into the National Academy of Innovators represents yet another level of recognition for the outstanding research being conducted here.
The 2020 NAI class, which has made a notable impact in a variety of fields, represents 125 research universities and governmental and nonprofit research institutes worldwide. The inductees are named inventors on nearly 4,000 issued U.S. patents.
Puleos inventions provide improvements in the repair and regeneration of tissues, such as bone, cartilage and tendons.
One of his technologies is intended to treat large defects in bone caused by trauma, whether a warfighter injury or a civilian car accident. Polymeric Prodrug (U.S. Patent No. 9,433,638) provides a polymer that is composed of a bone-promoting drug and that can be formed into solid implants or 3D scaffolds.
While the biomaterial slowly degrades following placement in the defect site, the released drug molecules encourage healing of the injury.
A second invention could benefit athletes or even weekend warriors who injure a meniscus, a cartilage-like cushion in the knee joint. Such small tears are typically treated by cutting away free-floating pieces, even though the loss of tissue can lead to arthritis.
Crosslinker Enhanced Repair of Connective Tissues (U.S. Patent No. 10,278,947) describes, among other forms, a patch that releases a chemical that meshes the damaged tissue to restore mobility.
More than 1,000 NAI fellows have generated aome 11,000 licensed technologies and companies, created more than 1.4 million jobs and generated some $190 billion in revenue.
Puleos time in higher education includes 27 years at the University of Kentucky before joining the UM engineering school in 2018. He is a renowned biomedical engineer with research expertise focused on using biomaterials for tissue regeneration in dentistry and orthopedic surgery.
He is a fellow of the International Union of Societies for Biomaterials Science and Engineering, the Biomedical Engineering Society and the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. A member of the Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies, Puleo received UKs Excellence in Teaching for Biomedical Engineering in 2011, 2013 and 2015 and the Deans Award for Excellence in Research in 2013.
As a researcher in the area of regenerative biomaterials, Puleo has served as principal investigator and co-investigator of federally and privately funded grants and contracts totaling $13.5 million. His research has led to nearly 17 intellectual property disclosures, patent applications and patents, plus a start-up company.
Read this article:
- February Engineering Activity: Properties of Materials Additives - All Together - Society of Women Engineers - January 22nd, 2022
- Former UA engineering professor Simon Ang pleads guilty to lying to FBI agent about patents in China - Arkansas Times - January 22nd, 2022
- Delhi court denies anticipatory bail to engineering student in GitHub case: His conduct an affront to secularism - The Indian Express - January 22nd, 2022
- Adaptable and future-ready, engineers at Michigan Tech are always geared for the future - Study International News - January 22nd, 2022
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Full Professor in Mechanical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA | 278611 - Times... - January 22nd, 2022
- Lima Senior High School Audio Engineering and Technology program in its first year and doing well - Your News Now - January 22nd, 2022
- Different Types of Engineering: Salary and Job Outlook |SNHU - January 20th, 2022
- Innovative engineering program at Carroll High School offers students 'the best chance at whatever is next in life for them' - My catholic standard - January 20th, 2022
- Engineering firm will close NE Portland factory, lay off up to 40 - OregonLive - January 20th, 2022
- SEEQC Announces Addition of Scientific Advisory Board, Vice President of Engineering and Unveils New Brand Identity - Business Wire - January 20th, 2022
- TOPTAL LAUNCHES NEW E-BOOK AIMED AT HELPING ENGINEERING LEADERS NAVIGATE THE CHALLENGES OF BUILDING, SCALING THEIR TEAMS - PRNewswire - January 20th, 2022
- Social Engineering in the News: SMiShing - Security Boulevard - January 20th, 2022
- Army Corps of Engineers Rock Island District to get $1.2 billion for Upper Mississippi River valley - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - January 20th, 2022
- Fort Worth's Panther Island project gets $403 million from Army Corps of Engineers - WFAA.com - January 20th, 2022
- Wellfield Technologies to Expand its Engineering Development Capacity for Seamless Brand with a new Hub in Portugal - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2022
- PhD Studentship, Civil, Maritime and Environmental Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 278270 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 20th, 2022
- Glitch Your Way To Reverse-Engineering Glory With The PicoEMP - Hackaday - January 16th, 2022
- Women and Minorities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Fields Grant Program (WAMS) | National Institute of Food and Agriculture -... - January 16th, 2022
- Does Shapir Engineering and Industry (TLV:SPEN) Have A Healthy Balance Sheet? - Simply Wall St - January 16th, 2022
- General Engineer Job in Fort Bliss, Texas - Department of the Army - LemonWire - January 16th, 2022
- Drexel University, School of Biomedical Engineering: Where biomedical engineering and business experts are made - Study International News - January 16th, 2022
- Improvement of Energy and Production Efficiency and Rapid Advancements in Protein Engineering to Support Revenue Growth of Industrial Enzymes Market:... - January 16th, 2022
- I Was an Engineer at a Major Automaker. Here's the Dark Side of the Job - The Drive - January 16th, 2022
- Global Precision Engineering Machines Market Forecast to Reach USD 19.27 Billion by 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- James Webb Space Telescope: The engineering behind a 'first light machine' that is not allowed to fail - Space.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Diesel Engines Move Goods Around the Globe; UVA Engineers Work to Curb Emissions - University of Virginia - December 22nd, 2021
- 2021's news highlights from the Faculty of Science and Engineering - The University of Manchester - December 22nd, 2021
- Learning science and engineering gets more effective, accessible, and fun with this portable teaching box! - Yanko Design - December 22nd, 2021
- Research Engineer job with KHALIFA UNIVERSITY | 275757 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Data Curation and Governance are the Top-Two Data Engineering Challenges for 2022 - Solutions Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Engineering and IT jobseekers connect with employers at career fair - Chicago Daily Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- PhD Studentship, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 275929 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Tax issue and pandemic delay liquidation process of UB Engineering - Deccan Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- Lecturer, Engineering and Computing Education job with UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE | 275515 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- Research Fellow, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering job with QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST | 275496 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- YouTuber engineer unleashes new glitter bombs on package thieves - fox5sandiego.com - December 20th, 2021
- Ask the Engineers: 'What is the best way to gain skills in an alternative discipline?' - Professional Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Professor Barry Webb AM awarded honorary Doctor of Engineering - News - The University of Sydney - December 20th, 2021
- Zain strategic partner of 40th Engineering Design Exhibition - Kuwait Times - December 20th, 2021
- INEOS and Petroineos at Grangemouth partner with Plastic Energy - Hydrocarbon Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Paul Sheerin: Engineers remain well placed to weather the storm - HeraldScotland - December 20th, 2021
- Commins hails strong driver/engineer relationship with Kostecki - Speedcafe - December 20th, 2021
- Death of engineer and Ipswich company boss Ron Gosling - Ipswich Star - December 20th, 2021
- Clarivate, the Chinese Academy of Engineering and the Higher Education Press of China Release Annual Joint Report to Identify 186 Engineering Fronts -... - December 14th, 2021
- Freak of Nature Clarkson Graduate Named National Engineering Association's Young Professional of the Year - Clarkson University News - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering group unlocks the creativity of University Technology Office minds with automation - ASU Now - December 14th, 2021
- Codex aims to enable engineers to collaborate within an IDE - VentureBeat - December 14th, 2021
- Penn Engineering Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Dedicates New Suite to Foundational Figures - UPENN Almanac - December 14th, 2021
- Renovation/Restoration, Award of Merit: The National - Engineering News-Record - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering alumnus Forehand offers sage advice to Auburn graduates during fall commencement speech - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 14th, 2021
- Trine inducts 10 into Order of the Engineer | Heraldrepublican | kpcnews.com - KPCnews.com - December 14th, 2021
- Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Positions at Northeastern University College of Engineering job with Northeastern University | 421222 - The Chronicle of... - December 14th, 2021
- The kind of engineering education we need - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- $1.5M study to explore human-centered engineering instruction | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- UM creates first robotics department among top 10 engineering schools | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- Swerving prevention method prompts new patent for USF engineers - University of South Florida - December 3rd, 2021
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers and Discovery Education Partner to Unlock Student Success Through Engineering - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineer's bat-inspired artificial brain could improve submarine navigation - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineers: Transforming lives and inspiring communities - The Irish Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Launching the Future of Biomedical Engineering Education - Ole Miss News - December 3rd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineering's Singh recognized for teaching beyond the classroom - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 2nd, 2021
- Engineering team honored in water systems challenge - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 2nd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Danfoss Turbocor announces multiyear collaboration with FAMU-FSU College of Engineering - Florida State News - December 2nd, 2021
- Student explores the broad engineering workforce with co-ops and internships - Virginia Tech Daily - December 2nd, 2021
- 6 fast facts on the current biomedical engineering workforce - Becker's Hospital Review - December 2nd, 2021
- Skills and responsibilities in a QA engineer role - TechTarget - December 2nd, 2021
- OverIT completes the Spin-Off from the Engineering Group by Bain Capital and NB Renaissance and announces Nicola Cattarossi as new CFO - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Broadway announces three top promotions: CTO, VP of Engineering, and CIO - FinanceFeeds - December 2nd, 2021
- The Technology Shaping the Future: 5 engineering predictions for the years ahead - Professional Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- The Engineering of Glass Will Leave You Astonished - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- An Airbus A340 Landed in Antarctica for the First Time Ever - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- 20-year-old engineering student from Kerala becomes inspiration for other girls - The New Indian Express - December 2nd, 2021
- Digital Engineering Spend to account for more than 50% of the overall Global Engineering R&D Spend and will grow rapidly at 19% to exceed USD 1 Tn by... - November 17th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Helps Organizations Maximize VMware Investments with Rackspace Elastic Engineering for VMware - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Engineering alumna wins New York Emmy as host of youth program 'I Can Be What?' - RIT University News Services - November 17th, 2021
- ORITE to host meeting with Ohio county engineers, other transportation leaders - Ohio University - November 17th, 2021
- ICC and Define Tech Add Engineering Solutions to Their Suite of Turnkey Clusters - HPCwire - November 17th, 2021
- SWARM Engineering and Virginia Tech Collaborate to Solve Problems in the Agri-Food Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021