If you grew up in the 1980s, then an iconic scene from classic teen movie Ferris Buellers Day Off is probably etched in your memory; the one where a red Ferrari gets airborne while the title theme to Star Wars provides the soundtrack. This cinematic moment stars a Ferrari 250 California Spyder on a full-throttle joyride around Chicago. The Prancing Horse used during filming, however, was actually a fiberglass replica based on a humble MGB. The faux California Spyder Im testing, though, is rather different.
The latest Revival project from GTO Engineering, following its replica 250 GT SWB we drove earlier this year, is an inch-perfect, toolroom copy of the Ferrari original. Even Enzo himself might have struggled to spot the differenceunless he got behind the wheel. It turns out that this reborn 1960s supercar, which uses the identity of a scrapped classic Ferrari for legal purposes, has a few hidden secrets.
GTO Engineerings replica of the Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder.Photo by Barry Hayden, courtesy of GTO Engineering.
As its name suggests, the Ferrari 250 California Spyder was designed for the US market, specifically the Golden State. Just 105 were made between 1958 and 1962, the first 50 with a 102-inch wheelbase (LWB), followed by 55 with a shorter 94-inch wheelbase (SWB). Today, both versions count among the rarest and most expensive Ferraris of all, as attested to by the fact that James Coburns California Spyder sold for $10 million in 2008, and few are ever seen outside of museums or private collections.
I wont attempt to get all four wheels off the ground today, yet I do plan to drive as il Commendatore intended. After all, the Revival may cost $1 million plus taxes, but its still a bargain compared to the real thing. Sadly, Im about 5,400 miles from California and the weather here is decidedly more British. Yes, its raining. Did I mention the car has no roof?
A birds-eye perspective of the toolroom copy.Photo: Courtesy of GTO Engineering.
Even through a mist of morning drizzle, the California Spyder replica looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The original was styled by Pininfarina, its hand-rolled aluminum body combining timeless Italian elegance with head-turning Hollywood glamour. A Ferrari with tail fins really shouldnt work, yet somehow it does. Other 250-series models, such as the Testa Rossa, LM and GTO, are more exciting, but theyre not as achingly beautiful.
Frankly, few cars sound this exquisite either. The naturally aspirated, triple-carb Colombo V-12 is built in-house by GTO Engineering and offered in three states of tune: a stock 3.0-liter Ferrari spec with 280 hp, a 3.5-liter with 320 hp, or a 4.0-liter with 350 hp. With the middling 3.5-liter motor and just 2,315 pounds to shift, this example hits 60 mph in 6 seconds and has a hair-tousling top speed of 150 mphyet it feels faster.
Originally made for the US market, the Ferrari 250 GT Spyder featured a left-hand-drive configuration, replicated here on the recreation.Photo by Barry Hayden, courtesy of GTO Engineering.
After a few steady miles to let the oil warm through and the manual shift to loosen up, I finally get a chance to let rip. The V-12 wakes up at 3,000 rpm, then piles on speed with dizzying intensity. Dont forget, this is an engine that won Le Mans multiple times, and its racing roots are still readily apparent. Hearing its metallic war cry in the open air is a privilege that makes getting wet seem totally worthwhile.
The cars naturally aspirated, triple-carb Colombo V-12 is built in-house by GTO Engineering.Photo by Barry Hayden, courtesy of GTO Engineering.
On hedge-lined lanes strewn with deep puddles, Im initially reluctant to push too hard. However, despite a live rear axle, skinny Michelin tires and complete lack of driver aids, this car has a chassis that quickly breeds confidence. The Revivals reinforced sills are much stiffer than those of the 1960s Ferrari, which adds accuracy to the slow-paced steering and sharpens its neutral yet eminently throttle-adjustablecornering attitude. Its straightforward, old-fashioned fun.
As for the lack of a roof, GTO Engineering founder Mark Lyon says the company can create one, but he thinks the Spyder looks better without it. Also, he reckons most cars will find homes in hotter climes, including California, where clinging, rain-soaked jeans are rather less likely. At least my Mazda has heated seats for the long drive home.
While Ferraris original model has reached eight figures at auction, the GTO Engineering replica costs $1 million.Photo by Barry Hayden, courtesy of GTO Engineering.
Some Ferrari purists dislike the idea of replicas, no matter how faithful to the original. But when the genuine article is too valuable to drive, these cars recreate an experience that is otherwise out of reach. Whether youre blasting along country lanes in southern England, cruising Stateside on Pacific Coast Highway or simply watching it drive by, the Revival offers an experience to savor. Its a car to seize the day and live in the moment. I think Ferris Bueller would approve.
Learn more aboutRobb Reports 2022 Car of the Year at the event taking place in Napa Valleyhereand in Boca Ratonhere.
Originally posted here:
- February Engineering Activity: Properties of Materials Additives - All Together - Society of Women Engineers - January 22nd, 2022
- Former UA engineering professor Simon Ang pleads guilty to lying to FBI agent about patents in China - Arkansas Times - January 22nd, 2022
- Delhi court denies anticipatory bail to engineering student in GitHub case: His conduct an affront to secularism - The Indian Express - January 22nd, 2022
- Adaptable and future-ready, engineers at Michigan Tech are always geared for the future - Study International News - January 22nd, 2022
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Full Professor in Mechanical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA | 278611 - Times... - January 22nd, 2022
- Lima Senior High School Audio Engineering and Technology program in its first year and doing well - Your News Now - January 22nd, 2022
- Different Types of Engineering: Salary and Job Outlook |SNHU - January 20th, 2022
- Innovative engineering program at Carroll High School offers students 'the best chance at whatever is next in life for them' - My catholic standard - January 20th, 2022
- Engineering firm will close NE Portland factory, lay off up to 40 - OregonLive - January 20th, 2022
- SEEQC Announces Addition of Scientific Advisory Board, Vice President of Engineering and Unveils New Brand Identity - Business Wire - January 20th, 2022
- TOPTAL LAUNCHES NEW E-BOOK AIMED AT HELPING ENGINEERING LEADERS NAVIGATE THE CHALLENGES OF BUILDING, SCALING THEIR TEAMS - PRNewswire - January 20th, 2022
- Social Engineering in the News: SMiShing - Security Boulevard - January 20th, 2022
- Army Corps of Engineers Rock Island District to get $1.2 billion for Upper Mississippi River valley - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - January 20th, 2022
- Fort Worth's Panther Island project gets $403 million from Army Corps of Engineers - WFAA.com - January 20th, 2022
- Wellfield Technologies to Expand its Engineering Development Capacity for Seamless Brand with a new Hub in Portugal - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2022
- PhD Studentship, Civil, Maritime and Environmental Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 278270 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 20th, 2022
- Glitch Your Way To Reverse-Engineering Glory With The PicoEMP - Hackaday - January 16th, 2022
- Women and Minorities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Fields Grant Program (WAMS) | National Institute of Food and Agriculture -... - January 16th, 2022
- Does Shapir Engineering and Industry (TLV:SPEN) Have A Healthy Balance Sheet? - Simply Wall St - January 16th, 2022
- General Engineer Job in Fort Bliss, Texas - Department of the Army - LemonWire - January 16th, 2022
- Drexel University, School of Biomedical Engineering: Where biomedical engineering and business experts are made - Study International News - January 16th, 2022
- Improvement of Energy and Production Efficiency and Rapid Advancements in Protein Engineering to Support Revenue Growth of Industrial Enzymes Market:... - January 16th, 2022
- I Was an Engineer at a Major Automaker. Here's the Dark Side of the Job - The Drive - January 16th, 2022
- Global Precision Engineering Machines Market Forecast to Reach USD 19.27 Billion by 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- James Webb Space Telescope: The engineering behind a 'first light machine' that is not allowed to fail - Space.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Diesel Engines Move Goods Around the Globe; UVA Engineers Work to Curb Emissions - University of Virginia - December 22nd, 2021
- 2021's news highlights from the Faculty of Science and Engineering - The University of Manchester - December 22nd, 2021
- Learning science and engineering gets more effective, accessible, and fun with this portable teaching box! - Yanko Design - December 22nd, 2021
- Research Engineer job with KHALIFA UNIVERSITY | 275757 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Data Curation and Governance are the Top-Two Data Engineering Challenges for 2022 - Solutions Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Engineering and IT jobseekers connect with employers at career fair - Chicago Daily Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- PhD Studentship, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 275929 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Tax issue and pandemic delay liquidation process of UB Engineering - Deccan Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- Lecturer, Engineering and Computing Education job with UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE | 275515 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- Research Fellow, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering job with QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST | 275496 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 20th, 2021
- YouTuber engineer unleashes new glitter bombs on package thieves - fox5sandiego.com - December 20th, 2021
- Ask the Engineers: 'What is the best way to gain skills in an alternative discipline?' - Professional Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Professor Barry Webb AM awarded honorary Doctor of Engineering - News - The University of Sydney - December 20th, 2021
- Zain strategic partner of 40th Engineering Design Exhibition - Kuwait Times - December 20th, 2021
- INEOS and Petroineos at Grangemouth partner with Plastic Energy - Hydrocarbon Engineering - December 20th, 2021
- Paul Sheerin: Engineers remain well placed to weather the storm - HeraldScotland - December 20th, 2021
- Commins hails strong driver/engineer relationship with Kostecki - Speedcafe - December 20th, 2021
- Death of engineer and Ipswich company boss Ron Gosling - Ipswich Star - December 20th, 2021
- Clarivate, the Chinese Academy of Engineering and the Higher Education Press of China Release Annual Joint Report to Identify 186 Engineering Fronts -... - December 14th, 2021
- Freak of Nature Clarkson Graduate Named National Engineering Association's Young Professional of the Year - Clarkson University News - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering group unlocks the creativity of University Technology Office minds with automation - ASU Now - December 14th, 2021
- Codex aims to enable engineers to collaborate within an IDE - VentureBeat - December 14th, 2021
- Penn Engineering Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Dedicates New Suite to Foundational Figures - UPENN Almanac - December 14th, 2021
- Renovation/Restoration, Award of Merit: The National - Engineering News-Record - December 14th, 2021
- Engineering alumnus Forehand offers sage advice to Auburn graduates during fall commencement speech - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 14th, 2021
- Trine inducts 10 into Order of the Engineer | Heraldrepublican | kpcnews.com - KPCnews.com - December 14th, 2021
- Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Positions at Northeastern University College of Engineering job with Northeastern University | 421222 - The Chronicle of... - December 14th, 2021
- The kind of engineering education we need - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- $1.5M study to explore human-centered engineering instruction | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- UM creates first robotics department among top 10 engineering schools | The University Record - The University Record - December 14th, 2021
- Swerving prevention method prompts new patent for USF engineers - University of South Florida - December 3rd, 2021
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers and Discovery Education Partner to Unlock Student Success Through Engineering - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineer's bat-inspired artificial brain could improve submarine navigation - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineers: Transforming lives and inspiring communities - The Irish Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Launching the Future of Biomedical Engineering Education - Ole Miss News - December 3rd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- Engineering's Singh recognized for teaching beyond the classroom - Office of Communications and Marketing - December 2nd, 2021
- Engineering team honored in water systems challenge - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 2nd, 2021
- Accenture Acquires Headspring to Expand and Enhance Cloud First Platform Engineering Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Danfoss Turbocor announces multiyear collaboration with FAMU-FSU College of Engineering - Florida State News - December 2nd, 2021
- Student explores the broad engineering workforce with co-ops and internships - Virginia Tech Daily - December 2nd, 2021
- 6 fast facts on the current biomedical engineering workforce - Becker's Hospital Review - December 2nd, 2021
- Skills and responsibilities in a QA engineer role - TechTarget - December 2nd, 2021
- OverIT completes the Spin-Off from the Engineering Group by Bain Capital and NB Renaissance and announces Nicola Cattarossi as new CFO - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- Broadway announces three top promotions: CTO, VP of Engineering, and CIO - FinanceFeeds - December 2nd, 2021
- The Technology Shaping the Future: 5 engineering predictions for the years ahead - Professional Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- The Engineering of Glass Will Leave You Astonished - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- An Airbus A340 Landed in Antarctica for the First Time Ever - Interesting Engineering - December 2nd, 2021
- 20-year-old engineering student from Kerala becomes inspiration for other girls - The New Indian Express - December 2nd, 2021
- Digital Engineering Spend to account for more than 50% of the overall Global Engineering R&D Spend and will grow rapidly at 19% to exceed USD 1 Tn by... - November 17th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Helps Organizations Maximize VMware Investments with Rackspace Elastic Engineering for VMware - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Engineering alumna wins New York Emmy as host of youth program 'I Can Be What?' - RIT University News Services - November 17th, 2021
- ORITE to host meeting with Ohio county engineers, other transportation leaders - Ohio University - November 17th, 2021
- ICC and Define Tech Add Engineering Solutions to Their Suite of Turnkey Clusters - HPCwire - November 17th, 2021
- SWARM Engineering and Virginia Tech Collaborate to Solve Problems in the Agri-Food Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021