October 2020 marks the 17th year that National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) has been held, and this years theme follows a trend of the Internet of Things (IoT).
Claiming that the month continues to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity globally, this years theme is aimed to encourage individuals and organizations to own their role in protecting their part of cyberspace, stressing personal accountability and the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity.
The first week is following a theme of If You Connect It, Protect It aimed at reinforcing the importance of keeping connected devices secure from outside influence as we see the IoT become a more regular part of how we live and work.
Consider that the total number of IoT connections will reach 83 billion by 2024, and just this week, there were fresh reports of flaws in adult connected devices, are we really getting any better?Andrea Carcano is the co-founder of Nozomi Networks, and claimed in the face of a global pandemic, IoT connections are empowering a level of remote work like none before.
From our own experience, weve seen industrial operators go from a single digit percentage of their workforce working remotely, to 52% and higher, he said. This deluge of internet-connected devices opens the door to a whole slew of new vulnerabilities and creates a much large attack surface.
He claimed NCSAM is a good time to remember that it doesnt have to take a catastrophe to spur change. Also, Greg Foss, senior security strategist at VMware Carbon Black,said the exploitation and resale of direct access into corporate networks is exploding, as attackers leverage modular and increasingly more capable malware to maximize profits. That is why initiatives like Cybersecurity Awareness Month need to be embraced, to help organizations think about the techniques they need to put in place to combat such attacks.
For every organization with an advanced security posture and awareness of the vulnerability of connected devices, there will be many more at the infancy of their security journey and therefore lacking this visibility, he said. Add to this the fact that recent events have led to millions of people working from home and inadvertently increasing the risk of a cyber-attack targeting their companys IT network and systems and you will see that there is real cause for concern.
After all, if IoT devices are connected to a network, its a potential new way into that network for an attacker to leverage. Work devices are connected over the internet to the same wireless system that also connects to their homes smart devices, which are particularly vulnerable to cyber attacks, he said, claiming our smart homes are a cyber-attack in the waiting.
Weve seen the likes of smart thermostats, fridges, coffeemakers, and doorbells become part of the standard home these days, and to find multiple connected devices is common beyond the standard mobile devices and smart televisions.
As Foss said, each of these contains a miniature, multi-purpose computera circuit board that operates the device. This tiny computer has the same power and capabilities as a full desktop workstation from a dozen years ago, but is much easier to hack, as it was not designed with strong, configurable security in mind, he said. Therefore, we fall back on to the theme of connect it and protect it.
Foss recommended ensuring only corporate-approved devices are able to connect in to the enterprise and access corporate resources, while visibility over all ingress and egress points is key, correlating the host, user, and network activities to provide context to events and ensure auditability across a variety of disparate assets.
That is all very well for corporate-owned devices, and for those working in the cybersecurity industry, but what about the average employee and user? Tony Pepper, CEO of Egress, said it comes down to risk appetite for individual users, and when it comes to taking security risks, some people have a this wont happen to me mentality, while others are more cognizant of the risk but a feeling of I just need to get my job done prevails.
Education and awareness, while necessary, will only get you so far with both categories of employees, he said. Organizations therefore need to make sure they have appropriate controls in place and, where theres high risk to sensitive data, are providing a safety net for users that remove any grey areas from security decision-making, so its not always down to them to make the right choice.
Ultimately, this month is about raising awareness of the issues, and that is half of the battle. Adam Strange is the global marketing director atBoldon James, commented that the first week of NCSAM is looking at empowering users, and said that employees play a vital role in ensuring the organization maintains a strong data privacy posture.
Awareness both among businesses themselves and employees that connected devices are not always secure is relatively low and therefore businesses need to tackle this head on, he claimed, recommending businesses take the upper hand to invest in user training and education programs, and ensuring that a culture of security awareness is present and embedded into both their actions and the ethos of the business.
The remaining weeks of NCSAM follow the trend of IoT security, including securing devices at home and work; securing internet-connected devices in healthcare; and the future of connected devices. This all stems back to the central point that if it is to be connected, it needs to be protected.
If the average user is influenced more towards functionality and features over security and privacy, then this month is going the right way to ensuring a change of mentality over connected devices. We have a few more weeks to see if the message continues to be broadcast, and resonate widely.
- Cyber security and the Internet of Things - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Save over $6,400 off this Complete InfoSec & Business Continuity Bundle - Neowin - November 16th, 2020
- Official Government Cybersecurity Guidance Offers Six Focus Areas for Banks of All Sizes - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Exhibit an Upward Growth Trend Across Widespread Verticals | Affluence - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Security Market 2020: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2020 2026 - The Daily... - November 16th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 -... - November 16th, 2020
- 6 security shortcomings that COVID-19 exposed - CSO Online - November 16th, 2020
- iboss Named Finalist for Best Network Security Solution in the 2020 ASTORS Homeland Security Awards - PR Web - November 16th, 2020
- Microsoft: Move Away From Phone-based Multi-factor Authentication - TechDecisions - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cable Operator Markets, 2020-2025 by Technology, Residential Services (Wireless, Internet, Entertainment, Security, Home Automation, and IoT... - November 16th, 2020
- Why fintech security must never be an afterthought Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 16th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Share, Quantitative Analysis, Drivers & Restraints, Future Trends and Forecast Research Report 2026 by Global... - November 10th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- How the Internet of Things Security Infrastructure in India can be improved? - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco Systems,... - November 10th, 2020
- What is a RAT? How remote access Trojans became a major threat - CSO Online - November 10th, 2020
- China's largest hackathon sees Windows 10, iOS 14, Chrome, and more hacked - TechSpot - November 10th, 2020
- How governments, companies can address evolving needs of increasing tech-savvy Filipinos - Philstar.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2020 Growth Potential, Production, Revenue And COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Misinformation, not vote tampering, is our most critical election threat - SecurityInfoWatch - November 8th, 2020
- Top 7 Ways to Hide Your IP Address in 2021 - Techstory - November 8th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Current and Future Trends, Leading Players, Industry Segments and Regional Forecast By 2029 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Know Your Role: You Are Part of the Security Team - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - November 6th, 2020
- 'This is how it was all supposed to work': The EI-ISAC readies for Election Day - StateScoop - November 6th, 2020
- Two reasons your Wi-Fi is slow, and how to fix them - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Keeping Yourself Safe on the Internet at University - TechBullion - November 6th, 2020
- IT Security Spending in Government Market Expected to Flourish By 2025 with Top Key Players- IT Security Spending in Government are: Check Point... - November 6th, 2020
- Arson, water damage: Paper ballots are fragile. But there's a reason we don't vote online - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Live News Streaming Figures for #Election2020 Highlight Misinformation Threat - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- Florida Invests in Security Controls Ahead of #Election2020 - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- How to Organize Employees to Cooperate in Threat Mitigation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- The best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2020 - CNET - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Firewall Market to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2020-2029 - Eurowire - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Poll shows that many feel more vulnerable to online threats during the pandemic - Wiltshire 999s - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Post-2020 election, Covid vaccine is biggest disinformation threat on the internet: Former Facebook security chief - CNBC - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - November 2nd, 2020
- Career in cybersecurity or ethical hacking: Where to study, starting salary and job interview questions - India Today - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Status and Trend: Top Key Players, Industry Dynamics, And Regional Scope 2020 - Aerospace Journal - November 2nd, 2020
- Security Pros Have Role in Combatting Disinformation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 2nd, 2020
- How Safe Is the US Election from Hacking? - The New York Review of Books - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet watchdog warns of rise in scammers' activity - New Zealand Herald - November 2nd, 2020
- Homeland Security notified after hackers leak names of local residents who reportedly submitted invalid ballots - iFIBER One News - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - November 2nd, 2020
- Network Security: Don't Trust And Verify - IT Jungle - October 23rd, 2020
- Akamai Reveals State of Internet: Threats to Retailers - Solutions Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results | Business | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To (2026). -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Nokia Threat Intelligence Report warns of rising cyberattacks on internet-connected devices - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Cybersecurity and a potential Biden White House: Past tech priorities resurrected - SC Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Virgin Media has an important new feature, but switching it on will cost you - Express - October 23rd, 2020
- WISeKey and OpSec Security Partnership Establishes Trust Between Brands and their Customers through Improved Customer Engagement - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market Economic Perspective And Forecast To 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Why cybercriminals have 'Gone Vishing' during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bdaily - October 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the Digital Security Control Global Market to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- More than 25% of Cypriots concerned about internet security - Cyprus Mail - October 17th, 2020
- 5 things you can do to secure your home office without hiring an expert - We Live Security - October 17th, 2020
- Beyond Speed and Reliability: Security Is a New Differentiator - Security Boulevard - October 17th, 2020
- Nationwide and Generali Global Assistance Partner to Enhance Identity Theft Protection - Insurance News Net - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Cisco Systems, Inc, IBM... - October 17th, 2020
- Is BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock a Buy on the Latest News? - The Motley Fool Canada - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things or IoT Security Market to Reach $22 Billion+ Valuation by 2027, Largely Due to Blockchain Adoption - Crowdfund Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 8th, 2020
- Tenable and the CIS Enter Partnership to Bolster Cyber Hygiene - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- How to Build Smart Banks that Connect Customers with Modern DX - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- Cyber Security Awareness Month is here! - We Live Security - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet security Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Latest Report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Regional Insights 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Remarks by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, at Security Council meeting on universal connectivity & access to digital technology in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Lessons learned from firsthand experience on how to avoid internet fraud and other forms of cyberattacks (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - October 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM, Cisco,... - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top Players: HPE,... - September 30th, 2020
- The Top Internet of Things (IoT) Authentication Methods and Options - Security Boulevard - September 30th, 2020
- How Trusted Internet Connections Is Focusing Telework with TIC 3.0 - FedTech Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Is your business looking for an extra layer of security - here's why a VPN may be the answer - TechRadar - September 30th, 2020
- A business connected to the cloud needs cloud-ready security, connectivity - Techgoondu - September 30th, 2020
- The 6 key races you haven't heard of that may help decide how we secure our elections - POLITICO - September 30th, 2020