Todays home network may include a wide range of wireless devices, from computers and phones, to IP Cameras, smart TVs and connected appliances. Taking basic steps to secure your home network will help protect your devices and your information from compromise.
Going wireless generally requires connecting an internet "access point" like a cable or DSL modem to a wireless router, which sends a signal through the air, sometimes as far as several hundred feet. Any device within range can pull the signal from the air and access the internet.
Unless you take certain precautions, anyone nearby can use your network. That means your neighbors or any hacker nearby could "piggyback" on your network or access information on your device. If an unauthorized person uses your network to commit crime or send spam, the activity could be traced back to your account.
Once you go wireless, you should encrypt the information you send over your wireless network, so that nearby attackers cant eavesdrop on these communications. Encryption scrambles the information you send into a code so that its not accessible to others. Using encryption is the most effective way to secure your network from intruders.
Two main types of encryption are available for this purpose: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). Your computer, router, and other equipment must use the same encryption. WPA2 is strongest; use it if you have a choice. It should protect you against most hackers. Some older routers use only WEP encryption, which likely wont protect you from some common hacking programs. Consider buying a new router with WPA2 capability.
Wireless routers often come with the encryption feature turned off. You must turn it on. The directions that come with your router should explain how. If they don't, check the companys website.
Allow only specific devices to access your wireless network. Every device that is able to communicate with a network is assigned a unique Media Access Control (MAC) address. Wireless routers usually have a mechanism to allow only devices with particular MAC addresses to access to the network. Some hackers have mimicked MAC addresses, so don't rely on this step alone.
Its also important to protect your network from attacks over the internet by keeping your router secure. Your router directs traffic between your local network and the internet. So, its your first line of defense for guarding against such attacks. If you don't take steps to secure your router, strangers could gain access to sensitive personal or financial information on your device. Strangers also could seize control of your router, to direct you to fraudulent websites.
Change the name of your router from the default. The name of your router (often called the service set identifier or SSID) is likely to be a standard, default ID assigned by the manufacturer. Change the name to something unique that only you know.
Change your router's pre-set password(s). The manufacturer of your wireless router probably assigned it a standard default password that allows you to set up and operate the router, as its administrator. Hackers know these default passwords, so change it to something only you know. The same goes for any default user passwords. Use long and complex passwords think at least 12 characters, with a mix of numbers, symbols, and upper and lower case letters. Visit the companys website to learn how to change the password.
Turn off any Remote Management features. Some routers offer an option to allow remote access to your routers controls, such as to enable the manufacturer to provide technical support. Never leave this feature enabled. Hackers can use them to get into your home network.
Log out as Administrator: Once youve set up your router, log out as administrator, to lessen the risk that someone can piggyback on your session to gain control of your device.
Keep your router up-to-date: To be secure and effective, the software that comes with your router needs occasional updates. Before you set up a new router and periodically thereafter, visit the manufacturers website to see if theres a new version of the software available for download. To make sure you hear about the latest version, register your router with the manufacturer and sign up to get updates.
And when you secure your router, dont forget to secure your computer too. Use the same basic computer security practices that you would for any computer connected to the internet. For example, use protections like antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall -- and keep these protections up-to-date.
Apps now allow you to access your home network from a mobile device. Before you do, be sure that some security features are in place.
Use a strong password on any app that accesses your network. Log out of the app when youre not using it. That way, no one else can access the app if your phone is lost or stolen.
Password protect your phone or other mobile device. Even if your app has a strong password, its best to protect your device with one, too.
See original here:
Securing Your Wireless Network | FTC Consumer Information
- The Internet: Looking Back and Forward 50 Years - Security Boulevard - November 18th, 2019
- Internet security Market Outlook 2019: Business Overview And Top Company Analysis Forecast By 2026 - The Market Publicist - November 18th, 2019
- Cybersecurity and digital trade: What role for international trade rules? - Brookings Institution - November 18th, 2019
- The American Internet Sucks. The Alternative Is China. - BuzzFeed News - November 18th, 2019
- 3 types of email you should never open - AndroidPIT - November 18th, 2019
- When will 5G arrive? - Verizon Communications - November 18th, 2019
- New Bytecode Alliance Brings the Security, Ubiquity, and Interoperability of the Web to the World of Pervasive Computing - Mozilla & Firefox - November 18th, 2019
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2021 220.127.116.117 - 60% OFF ... - October 23rd, 2019
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security | 1 Device | 1 ... - October 1st, 2019
- Download ESET Internet Security | ESET - September 30th, 2019
- VPN Publishes Forbes Internet Security Guide for Law Firms - September 18th, 2019
- Avast Internet Security 2019 v19.7.2388 Activation Code ... - September 18th, 2019
- Trend Micro - Simply Security News, Views and Opinions from ... - May 30th, 2019
- Kaspersky Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 13th, 2019
- Anti-Virus Web Protection & Spyware Removal | StopSign ... - May 13th, 2019
- Internet security Great-West Life - ssl.grsaccess.com - March 22nd, 2019
- Download COMODO Internet Security 18.104.22.16844 - softpedia.com - January 31st, 2019
- Avast Internet Security Review 2018 - We Hate Malware - November 8th, 2018
- Security Packages | High-Speed Internet | Windstream - November 8th, 2018
- Antivirus vs Internet Security [Security Software Comparison] - November 8th, 2018
- Internet Security Lectures by Prabhaker Mateti - November 8th, 2018
- Vipre Internet Security 2016 Free Download - Softlay - November 8th, 2018
- Internet security software Reviews 2018 - Compared & Reviewed - November 2nd, 2018
- Exhibit A - Internet Security Requirements - November 2nd, 2018
- CIS Benchmarks - Center for Internet Security - November 2nd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 Crack + License Key [Latest] - October 12th, 2018
- Zillya! Internet Security | Best Security Solution for Active ... - October 12th, 2018
- Download Norton Internet Security 22.214.171.124 - softpedia.com - October 9th, 2018
- Avast Internet Security 2018 Activation Code, Serial Key Till ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 18.6.2349 Build 18.6.3983 ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download McAfee Internet Security 19.0 Build 19.0.4016 - October 3rd, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 Free Download - FileHippo - October 3rd, 2018
- Internet Security - Quick Heal - October 3rd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 v126.96.36.1998 | Software ... - October 3rd, 2018
- VIPRE Internet Security Review & Comparison - September 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security Suite | Verizon Internet - September 20th, 2018
- Antivirus Security Software & Internet Security - Newegg.com - September 19th, 2018
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Internet Security Suites - September 7th, 2018
- Download Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 188.8.131.52 - August 24th, 2018
- Best (and Worst) Internet Security Software of 2018 for Windows - August 18th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 | 3 Device | 1 ... - August 8th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security - Free download and software reviews ... - August 3rd, 2018
- Top 3 Internet Security Software Suites Reviews ... - July 26th, 2018
- GRC | LeakTest -- Firewall Leakage Tester - July 26th, 2018
- Internet Security is an important part of Identity Theft ... - June 22nd, 2018
- V3 Internet Security | AhnLab - June 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security with Xfinity - Norton Security Online - June 17th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software Compared - May 25th, 2018
- Computer and internet security software Chili Security - May 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Market Size, Share and Technology, 2021 - May 21st, 2018
- Center for Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 10th, 2018
- Download Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus & Internet ... - May 1st, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 review | Ultimate antivirus ... - April 29th, 2018
- The Internet Security Academy - SAHCOM Technologies LLP - April 27th, 2018
- These files can't be opened. Your Internet security ... - April 20th, 2018
- How to Uninstall Norton Internet Security: 12 Steps - April 20th, 2018
- Internet Security Software at Office Depot OfficeMax - April 19th, 2018
- Why is Internet security important? | Reference.com - March 26th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2018 18.2.3827 20% OFF ... - March 25th, 2018
- Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security - Download - March 21st, 2018
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus: AppLock & Web Security ... - March 21st, 2018
- Why do I Need Internet Security - The High Tech Society - March 21st, 2018
- Cincinnati Bell - Other Services Support - March 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Essentials for Business 2.0 | U.S ... - March 21st, 2018
- ESET Internet Security 10.0.386.0 Crack + License Keys ... - March 21st, 2018
- Privacy and Security in the Internet Age | WIRED - March 19th, 2018
- News & Events | K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter ... - March 19th, 2018
- 10 Internet Security Programs (for Windows), Ranked Best ... - March 7th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2015 Free Download - getintopc.com - March 3rd, 2018
- McAfee Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - February 28th, 2018
- COMODO Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - January 30th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software 2018 - The best rated ... - January 28th, 2018
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017