Published: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 @ 6:00 PMUpdated: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 @ 5:52 AMBy: Jim Otte
MIAMI VALLEY As Ohio voters go to the polls this year the state says security is in place to make sure every vote counts.
Your voice will be heard, said Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose.Your ballot will be accurately counted.
With about a month until Ohios March 17 primary election, security experts are still concerned about election security and foreign election interference.
After more than 6,000 ballots werent counted in Miami County in 2018,News Center 7s I-Team took a look at what has changed since 2018 and how people can be sure that their vote will count.
>> RELATED:I-Team: Are votes, voting equipment secure?
As a child, Inge Voisard immigrated from Germany to Ohio.
That perspective, as a proud naturalized citizen who now calls Troy home, means shes always taken voting seriously.
I dont think Ive ever missed an election, she said.
But in November 2018, when Ohio governor race was hot, her early absent vote was one of the 6,288 in Miami County that was initially tabulated as zero.
Records obtained by the I-Team indicate after the Nov. 6, 2018, election the problem went undetected until Dec. 20, 2018.
Thats when the Ohio Secretary of of States Office alerted county leaders of a discrepancy.
It was not until Jan. 22, 2019, when the lost ballots were finally counted and included in the amended vote count.
Miami Countys elections director was fired.
But what is the county doing to make sure this doesnt happen again?
>> RELATED:Miami County leaders meet to discuss the 6,200 votes that went uncounted this past election
We had to re-write a policy manual, said Laura Bruns, Miami Countys current board of elections director. We had to re-write out procedures.
Bruns came here after the 2018 incident. She said an employee missed a step in the process of loading early votes into the the counting system.
If the staff had been looking, she confirmed they would have found this a zero in the initial vote count showing no early votes were counted.
I laid out in front of them a year ago, said LaRose.Right now you have a trust deficit with the voters of your county.
LaRose put Miami County on state oversight.
The errors also led the state to spend $114 million on new voting machines to increase security.
The new Miami County machines start with a paper ballot. You darken a circle by the candidates name and then put it into a scanner to be counted.
>> RELATED:State investigation begins into uncounted ballots in Miami County
The paper ballot can always be recounted again if needed.
The machines are not hooked up to the internet.
So there's no possible way for the machine to be hacked, said Bruns. We keep it in a room that has double locks on the door.
While the machines are under lock and key, there are still national election security concerns.
Adam Levin runs the internet security firm CyberScout.
He said foreign governments are still trying to hack election computer systems and are trying to undermine out faith in the election system.
We're living in a dangerous world, said Levin. There are more vulnerabilities that we've ever thought about before. Disinformation has become mainstream.
>> RELATED:Election board fires director after 6,200 ballots werent counted
The Department of Homeland Defense is not providing technical help to get all states and local boards of elections.
There's no such thing as 100% secure, said Matt Masterson, election security adviser for the Department of Homeland Security. There's always areas for improvement. That's why this is an ongoing, evolving process.
University of Dayton professor David Salisbury is the regions top cyber security expert.
He said it appears Ohios election system is on the right track.
Still, like any organization, emails to election workers remain one of the biggest threats.
What keeps me up at night is a person who is well-intentioned, a hard worker, at their job, busy as all get out, one of the messages come by and before they can think it through they click, he said.
>> RELATED:8 Ohio counties fail to meet election security deadline
LaRose said they have recently detected and defeated an Iranian malware attack.
They bad guys lost and the good guys won, he said.
For added protection, LaRose sent a 34-point preventative measure checklist to every Ohio election board.
Just recently Miami County was released from state supervision.
With extra cyber security provisions, like paper ballots and new voting machines, local boards of elections are promising your vote will be counted.
We will be ready, said Bruns. I have a good staff. We have a good board. We're all going to work together to make it happen.
However, there are a few legitimate cases where a vote you cast will not be counted.
The first case is if you vote for a write-in candidate who has not registered with the state in advanced.
>> RELATED:Report: DHS 2020 election security plan not finalized before voting started
And if you forget to sign your absentee ballot and send it in at the very last minute, its too late to correct it.
Also, if you are not registered to vote you cannot cast a ballot. So make sure to check your registration with the board of elections long before Election Day.
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020
- Spike in cryptojacking attempts on devices here, says cyber-security firm - The Straits Times - June 5th, 2020
- The impact of spycraft on how we secure our data - ComputerWeekly.com - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Common Online Frauds That You Need to Know - Techjaja - June 5th, 2020
- This $350 "Anti-5G" Device Is Apparently Just a USB Stick - WIRED - June 5th, 2020
- Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players- Analysis Forecasts To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- India wants to be a 'partner of the global economy' in its manufacturing push, minister says - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Web Content Filtering market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3 Billion, during... - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla VP of IT: How to stay secure while remote working - BusinessCloud - June 5th, 2020
- 6 ways to delete yourself from the internet - CNET - June 5th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 Making the Internet Sick? - Government Technology - May 27th, 2020
- Thanks to Physics, This Chocolate Is Iridescentand Safe to Eat - Smithsonian.com - May 27th, 2020
- $100 million in bounties paid by HackerOne to ethical hackers - BleepingComputer - May 27th, 2020
- Types of Encryption: 5 Encryption Algorithms & How to Choose the Right One - Security Boulevard - May 27th, 2020
- Asian consumers worried about securing their data - BusinessWorld Online - May 27th, 2020
- Move online to survive businesss new mantra - BizNews - May 27th, 2020
- China Demands Us Withdraw Sanctions on Tech Suppliers - Manufacturing Business Technology - May 27th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market Overview, Regional And Restraint Analysis By 2020 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Galaxy S20 security is already old hat as Samsung launches new safety silicon - The Register - May 27th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment (EBPP) market worldwide will grow by a... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Research Studies Competitive Strategies, Regional Analysis Forecast 2025 - WaterCloud News - May 27th, 2020
- When COVID-19 and Economic Fallout Put Millions of Kids in Unsafe Places, Communities in Schools Went in After Them. - The 74 - May 27th, 2020
- DNS over HTTPS: How to activate it on Windows 10 Build 19628 - WinCentral - May 27th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity leaves the online world at greater risk - The Conversation US - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Incidence of Cyberattacks to Boost Growth |... - May 17th, 2020
- Break On Through To The Other Side - Seeking Alpha - May 17th, 2020
- Post-COVID 19: The Virtual World And Digital Participation And Its Challenges In Ghana - Modern Ghana - May 17th, 2020
- Embracing Remote Learning and Working after COVID-19 as our New Reality - THISDAY Newspapers - May 17th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity leaves the online world at greater risk - Kiowa County Press - May 16th, 2020
- Internet security Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The best antivirus protection of 2020 for Windows 10 - CNET UK - May 16th, 2020
- Bill Proposes to Incentivize Cybersecurity Innovations With Cash Prizes - Nextgov - May 16th, 2020
- The Confessions of Marcus Hutchins, the Hacker Who Saved the Internet - WIRED - May 16th, 2020
- Spains DGT Warns Of A New Scam Circulating Which Tricks Users Into Giving Their Data - Euro Weekly News - May 16th, 2020
- What is the Internet of Things? - Fox Business - May 16th, 2020
- Air Force aims to make secure mobile identity management the norm - FCW.com - May 16th, 2020
- Internet Security Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2027 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- (2020-2026) Internet Security Audit Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- OODAcast A Conversation With Lou Manousos, CEO of RiskIQ - OODA Loop - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Crisis To Help Akamai Replicate $300 Million+ Revenue Growth From The Past 2 Years? - Forbes - May 9th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market is Segmented by Applications, Technology, Product Type And Service and Region - TechnoVally - May 9th, 2020
- Google Releases May 2020 Android Security Patch; Fixes Bug That Allowed Remote Code Execution - Mashable India - May 9th, 2020
- Gregory Boehm | The Harvard Press | News | Obituaries - Harvard Press - May 9th, 2020
- Wifi/ Internet/ IoT Testing and Security Solutions Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- More Salt in their wounds: DigiCert hit as hackers wriggle through (patched) holes in buggy config tool - The Register - May 9th, 2020
- Zoom's Rise, Reign and Era of Reform at the Top of the Teleconferencing Throne - BroadbandBreakfast.com - May 9th, 2020
- The Pleasures and Pitfalls of Motherhood on Instagram - ELLE.com - May 9th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending in Government Market Expected to reach highest CAGR by 2025: Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, Fortinet,... - May 9th, 2020
- Millions of Android users need to update, or risk having attackers take over their phone - Express - May 9th, 2020
- Deal of the Month: 50% off Integos Mac Internet Security X9 bundle - 9to5Mac - April 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Internet Security Firewall Market: Promising Growth Outlook with a Steady CAGR of X% 2020-2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - April 20th, 2020
- Russia And China Hijack Your Internet Traffic: Heres What You Do - Forbes - April 20th, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 Break Down by Top Companies, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - April 20th, 2020
- Investor Paul Meeks overhauls tech strategy due to coronavirus risks, turns negative on two widely held stocks - CNBC - April 20th, 2020
- Authentic8's Front Line of Defense Tool Aims to Safeguard Government Agencies from Cyberthreats - WashingtonExec - April 20th, 2020
- Blockchain: The Most Awaited Ally For The Security Of The Internet Of Things - CoinCodex - April 20th, 2020
- The internet's battle against bots is heating up - The Hustle - April 20th, 2020
- Bot creates millions of fake eyeballs to rip off smart-TV advertisers - Naked Security - April 20th, 2020
- Where to buy Kaspersky Internet Security? - RecentlyHeard.com - April 17th, 2020
- Citing coronavirus disruptions, PhishCloud offers year of free service to prevent phishing scams - GeekWire - April 17th, 2020
- The Global Software Defined Perimeter Market size is expected to reach $10.7 billion by 2025, rising at a market growth of 23.7% CAGR during the... - April 17th, 2020
- Women are essential helpers during crises but they need access to the internet | TheHill - The Hill - April 17th, 2020
- How To Browse The Internet Privately on Your Phone (Our #1 Tips) - Know Your Mobile - April 17th, 2020
- Faster Internet and protection against cyberattacks: UPC Business offers customers free additional services during the coronavirus crisis -... - April 17th, 2020
- Teaching your kids to surf the internet safely - The Star Online - April 17th, 2020
- No, the Internet Is Not Good Again - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2020
- Cyberattacks on endpoints will rise by up to 40 per cent unless we act quickly - Techerati - April 17th, 2020
- RBR's CyberPatriots Continue their Winning Ways - The Two River Times - April 17th, 2020
- The Weaponization of Dogs on the Internet - Lawfare - April 17th, 2020
- Investment opportunities in the internet sector - Times of Malta - April 17th, 2020
- Matt Hancock has no answers for anything but he does have a six-point plan and a very small badge - The Independent - April 17th, 2020
- Best internet security suites of 2020: anti-virus and anti-malware cyber security - TechRadar - April 17th, 2020
- The security conundrum of 5G network slicing - Urgent Communications - April 13th, 2020
- How to Make Sure that Antivirus is on your Endpoints - Security Boulevard - April 13th, 2020
- Why you can't trust your vote to the internet - CyberScoop - April 13th, 2020