Quantum computing stocks are gaining traction as this once-nascent industry is fast evolving. Wall Street is paying increased attention to the segment as companies move from the experimental research phase to developing commercially feasible computers that can solve the worlds most complex problems and revolutionize businesses in many industries. Thus, quantum computing stocks have become a hot item.
Overall, quantum computers offer computational power 100 million times faster than todays ordinary computers at the moment. They can process more information exponentially with each additional quantum bit, or qubit.
From advances in machine learning to healthcare, artificial intelligence (AI) and advanced cybersecurity capabilities, quantum computers are expected to have a significant impact across a wide range of industries. Therefore, I want to introduce three quantum computing stocks to invest in the rest of this year.
Multiple countries are already involved in the quantum computing race, and The Global Quantum Computing Market Size is expected to value USD 487.4 million in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 3728.4 million by 2030 at a CAGR of 25.40% over the forecast period from 2021 to 2030.
So, with that information, lets take a look at three of the top quantum computing stocks on the market right now.
Now, lets dive in and take a closer look at each one.
52-Week Range: $31.76 52.51Dividend Yield: 0.43%Expense Ratio: 0.40% per year
We start our discussion with an exchange-traded fund (ETF), namely the Defiance Quantum ETF. It invests in global businesses that are leading the technology and applications behind quantum computing, cloud platforms, machine learning, as well as other advanced computing technologies.
QTUM, which has 71 holdings, tracks the returns of the BlueStar Quantum Computing and Machine Learning Index. The fund was first listed in September 2018.
In terms of subsectors, we see Quantum Computing Technology (35.56%), followed by Machine Learning Services (21.44%), AI Chips (17.67%), GPU & Other Hardware (13.07%) and Big Data & Cloud Computing (9.39%). Close to 60% of the companies are U.S.-based. Others come from Japan (12.64%), the Netherlands (8.39%), Taiwan (4.11%) among others.
Leadings names in the roster are Analog Devices (NASDAQ:ADI), Ambarella (NASDAQ:AMBA), Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ:AMD), Synaptics (NASDAQ:SYNA), and Splunk (NASDAQ:SPLK). The top 10 stock comprise close to 20% of net assets of $132.4 million.
Year-to-date, QTUM is up more than 25% and hit a record high in recent days. As the funds holdings show, there are not many pure-play quantum computing stocks. Instead, a large number of tech names are increasing their focus on the quantum realm. Despite the recent run-up in price, such names in the quantum computing space are likely to create many more quarters of shareholder value. Potential investors could consider buying the dips.
52-week Range: $105.92$152.84Dividend Yield: 4.8%
In June, International Business Machinesrevealed Europes first quantum computerin Germany. According to IBM, the Q System One is now Europes most powerful quantum computer. In this race, IBM is not alone and elsewhere, other tech giants, including Google (NASDAQ:GOOG, NASDAQ:GOOGL) (NASDAQ:GOOG), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Honeywell (NASDAQ:HON), are also investing heavily in the quantum computing world.
IBM generates revenue from five segments namely cloud and cognitive software, global business services, global technology services, systems and global financing. While global technology services has the highest share in the top line with about 35%, cloud and cognitive business is the most lucrative business as it has more than 25% pre-tax margin.
The company announced second quarter financial figures at the end of July. Revenue was $18.7 billion implying 3% year-over-year (YOY) growth. Net income of $1.3 million meant a decline of 3% YOY. Diluted non-GAAP earnings per share (EPS) was $2.33. A year ago, it had been $2.18. Meanwhile, net cash from operating activities stood at $17.7 billion.
Management believes quantum computing will play a key role in healthcare as it could enable a range of disruptive use cases for providers and health plans by accelerating diagnoses, personalizing medicine, and optimizing pricing. Quantum-enhanced machine learning algorithms are particularly relevant to the sector.
On the results, CFO James Kavanaugh cited,We expanded operating margins and grew profit dollars in the quarter, providing a key contribution to our cash performance. The company expects to grow revenue for fiscal year 2021 and anticipates free cash flow of $11 billion-$12 billion in 2021.
So far in the year, IBM stock returned just over 9.3%, and hit a multi-year high in June. Since then, though the shares have come under pressure, and price-sales (P/S) ratio stands at 1.66 times. Potential investors could regard the recent decline in price as an opportunity to buy for the long-run.
52-week Range: $196.25 $305.84Dividend Yield: 0.76%
Our last stock is the tech giant Microsoft, which generates revenue from three segments namely Productivity and Business Processes (such as Office 365 and LinkedIn) , Intelligent Cloud (Azure, Premier Support Services, and Consulting Services) and More Personal Computing (Windows Commercial, Bing, and Xbox).
Microsofts fiscal year ends on June 30. At the end of July, the company issued Q4 2021 results. Revenue was $46.2 billion, up 21% YOY. Additionally, net income grew 47% YOY growth to $16.5 billion. Diluted EPS was $2.17 for the fourth quarter, up 49% from a year ago. The company also ended its fiscal year with $14.2 billion cash and equivalents.
Following the announcement, CFO Amy Hood said, As we closed out the fiscal year, our sales teams and partners delivered a strong quarter with over 20%top and bottom-line growth, highlighted by commercial bookings growth of 30% year over year.
For the next quarter, Microsoft shared its segment revenue guidance. Hence, in the Productivity and Business Processes segment, the company expects its revenue between $14.5 and $14.75 billion. For Intelligent Cloud, Microsoft anticipates revenue to be between $16.4 and $16.65 billion.
Microsoft highlights, From breakthroughs in physics and nanomaterials to seamless integration with Microsoft Azure, Microsoft is leading the way to scalable, accessible quantum computing. For example, analysts have been pointing out how Microsofts quantum technology could influence the power industry, healthecare privacy, and personalized medicine.
So far in 2021, MSFT stock is up more than 33% and reached a record high in late August. Moreover, the stock is trading at 13.38 times current sales. Therefore, interested readers could consider investing in the shares for the long-term around current levels.
On the date of publication, Tezcan Gecgil did not have (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer, subject to theInvestorPlace.comPublishing Guidelines.
TezcanGecgil has worked in investment management for over two decades in the U.S. and U.K. In addition to formal higher education in the field, she has also completed all 3 levels of the Chartered Market Technician (CMT) examination. Her passion is for options trading based on technical analysis of fundamentally strong companies. She especially enjoys setting up weekly covered calls for income generation.
- 'Quantum computer algorithms are linear algebra, probabilities. This is not something that we do a good job of teaching our kids' - The Register - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computer company IonQ makes Wall Street debut - Financial Times - October 2nd, 2021
- Fujitsu and Osaka University Deepen Collaborative Research and Development for Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computers - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Fermilab on the trail for a new building block of matter and quantum computing power - Medill Reports Chicago - Medill Reports: Chicago - October 2nd, 2021
- A Boulder Company Is Leading the Next Technology Revolution - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 2nd, 2021
- Judith Olson, Senior Physicist at ColdQuanta, Named Next Generation Leader of the Year at Women in IT Awards - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Still Has Room To Grow: International Business Machines, D-Wave Systems, Microsoft - Digital Journal - October 2nd, 2021
- The coevolution of particle physics and computing - Symmetry magazine - September 30th, 2021
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) Takeover: IoT and Quantum-Resistant Blockchains Are Setting the Trend - FinanceFeeds - September 30th, 2021
- $5M NSF Grant to Fund Research on Quantum Internet Foundations - Maryland Today - September 19th, 2021
- DoD Buys Two New Supercomputers That Rank Among Its Most Powerful Ever - Breaking Defense - September 19th, 2021
- College Park's IonQ and the University of Maryland are teaming up to open a $20M quantum lab - Technical.ly DC - September 15th, 2021
- Where the laws of matter break down, a quantum discovery crops up - UPJ Athletics - September 15th, 2021
- Small, diamond-based quantum computers could be in our hands within five years - Cosmos Magazine - August 26th, 2021
- IBM partners with the University of Tokyo on quantum computer - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 26th, 2021
- A Simple Crystal Could Finally Give Us Large-Scale Quantum Computing, Scientists Say - ScienceAlert - August 16th, 2021
- IBM Partnering with University of Tokyo on Quantum Computer - Datamation - August 16th, 2021
- 40 years ago the first IBM PC was presented, that's how it was and what it knew how to do - Tech Gaming Report - August 14th, 2021
- The week in science news: Olympic Bat, controlled qubits, and speeding metal stars - TechRadar - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum information and quantum field theory: Study found a new connection between them - Tech Explorist - August 14th, 2021
- Global AI Chipsets for Wireless Networks and Devices, Cloud and Next Generation Computing, IoT, and Big Data Analytics to 2026 -... - August 14th, 2021
- What is quantum computing? Everything you need to know about the strange world of quantum computers - ZDNet - July 29th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin (BTC) Safe from Grover's Algorithm? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- Will the NSA Finally Build Its Superconducting Spy Computer? - IEEE Spectrum - July 29th, 2021
- IBM's newest quantum computer is now up-and-running: Here's what it's going to be used for - ZDNet - July 27th, 2021
- URI to host international experts for conference on future of quantum computing - URI Today - July 27th, 2021
- Research by University of Surrey and Arqit reveals Quantum Threat to Digital Assets - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- A Roadmap On The Geopolitical Impact Of Emerging Technologies By Chuck Brooks And Dr. David Bray - Forbes - July 27th, 2021
- IBM and CERN on quantum computing to track the elusive Higgs boson - Tech News Inc - July 27th, 2021
- The Convergence of Communication and Computation with Dr. Vida Ilderem - RCR Wireless News - July 27th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market is anticipated to surge at a CAGR of 33.7% over the next ten years - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing for the Future Grid - Transmission & Distribution World - July 21st, 2021
- Red Hat embraces quantum supremacy as it looks to the future - SiliconANGLE News - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing Is Coming. What Can It Do? - Harvard Business Review - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals on Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - HPCwire - July 16th, 2021
- Quantware Launches the World's First Commercially Available Superconducting Quantum Processors, Accelerating the Advent of the Quantum Computer. -... - July 16th, 2021
- The Future of Data Encryption: What You Need to Know Now - FedTech Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: this is how quantum programming works using the example of random walk - Market Research Telecast - July 16th, 2021
- IBM shows the advantages of a quantum computer over traditional computers - Tech News Inc - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Working with D-Wave Systems - Yahoo Finance UK - July 6th, 2021
- Conclusions from Forum TERATEC 2021: European Cooperation, Novel Uses of HPC - HPCwire - July 6th, 2021
- IBM researchers demonstrate the advantage that quantum computers have over classical computers - ZDNet - July 2nd, 2021
- Is this the first physics problem that the quantum computer will solve? - Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) - July 2nd, 2021
- New research proves that quantum computational errors are correlated and connects them to cosmic rays - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 2nd, 2021
- CSRWire - Refusing Limits with Liz Ruetsch - CSRwire.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Crdit Agricole CIB partners with Pasqal and Multiverse Computing - IBS Intelligence - June 29th, 2021
- Keynotes Announced for IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - June 29th, 2021
- The evolution of cryptographic algorithms - Ericsson - June 29th, 2021
- EU rewrites rulebook on science and technology cooperation with the rest of the world - Science Business - June 29th, 2021
- IBM's first quantum computer outside of the US has just gone live - ZDNet - June 22nd, 2021
- Quantum computers take up a lot of space. Researchers decided to shrink this one down - ZDNet - June 22nd, 2021
- New discoveries of rare superconductors may be essential for the future of quantum computing - Illinoisnewstoday.com - June 22nd, 2021
- Williams F1 drives digital transformation in racing with AI, quantum - VentureBeat - June 22nd, 2021
- Global IT giant to partner with U of C on quantum computing centre - Calgary Herald - June 2nd, 2021
- A Computer Memory Based on Cold Atoms and Light - Physics - June 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Chip Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2027 Forecasts Covid-19 Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain inks deal with cryptography expert to optimise Bitcoin mining operations - Proactive Investors UK - June 2nd, 2021
- ColdQuanta Named to IBM Quantum Network to Help Research Quantum Computing Applications - ExecutiveBiz - May 28th, 2021
- Big bang theory: Maryland company moves ahead in quantum space race - The Star Democrat - May 28th, 2021
- Quantum internet: The race is on to build an unhackable online world - New Scientist - May 28th, 2021
- Getting The Big Banks To Confront The Quantum Challenge - Forbes - May 28th, 2021
- Want to study Quantum Science? Check out the research and job opportunities, salary, job roles in this field - India Today - May 28th, 2021
- Top 10 Trends Influencing Digital Transformation in 2021 - Analytics Insight - May 28th, 2021
- RSA conference highlights 'scourge' of ransomware and takes aim at quantum computing - Verdict - May 28th, 2021
- Quantum Computing: The Chronicle of its Origin and Beyond - Analytics Insight - May 18th, 2021
- Google I/O 2021: Everything Google is announcing at this year's virtual keynote right now - TechRepublic - May 18th, 2021
- 6 'crackpot' technologies that might transform IT - CIO - May 18th, 2021
- IBM just solved this quantum computing problem 120 times faster than previously possible - ZDNet - May 16th, 2021
- Quantum computings imminent arrival in Cleveland could be a back-to-the-future moment: Thomas Bier - cleveland.com - May 16th, 2021
- Precision Is Natures Gift to Technology - The Wall Street Journal - May 16th, 2021
- Protecting Powerlines And Pipelines: The Quantum Solution - Forbes - May 16th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies could help transform the digital economy as we know it - Proactive Investors UK - May 16th, 2021
- Aehr Test Systems Appoints Technology Industry Veteran Fariba Danesh to its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - May 16th, 2021
- Researchers confront major hurdle in quantum computing - University of Rochester - May 5th, 2021
- GCHQ boss is right to be keeping his eye on quantum computing - Verdict - April 27th, 2021
- IonQ Announces Full Integration of its Quantum Computing Platform with Qiskit - CIO Applications - April 27th, 2021
- Meet the Barclays MD working to transform finance through distributed ledgers and quantum computing - Business Insider - April 27th, 2021
- These Emerging Technologies Interest Developers the Most - Dice Insights - April 27th, 2021
- Australia and India team up on critical technology - ComputerWeekly.com - April 22nd, 2021
- NEC, D-Wave and the Australian Department of Defence Collaborate on Quantum Computing Initiative - StreetInsider.com - April 22nd, 2021