GlobalData, the worldwide data analysts, have offered new research that suggests that many companies are joining the race for quantum supremacy, that is, to be the first to make significant headway with quantum computing.
Quantum computers are a step closer to reality to solve certain real life problems that are beyond the capability of conventional computers, the analysts state.
However, the biggest challenge is that these machines should be able to manipulate several dozens of quantum bits or qubits to achieve impressive computational performance.
As a result, a handful of companies have joined the race to increase the power of qubits and claim quantum supremacy, says GlobalData.
An analysis of GlobalDatas Disruptor Intelligence Center reveals various companies in the race to monetisequantum computing as an everyday tool for business.
IBM's latest quantum computer, accessible via cloud, boasts a 65-qubit Hummingbird chip. It is an advanced version of System Q, its first commercial quantum computer launched in 2019 that has 20 qubits. IBM plans to launch a 1,000-qubit system by the end of 2023.
Alphabet has built a 54-qubit processor Sycamore and demonstrated its quantum supremacy by performing a task of generating a random number in 200 seconds, which it claims would take the most advanced supercomputer 10,000 years to finish the task.
The company also unveiled its newest 72-qubit quantum computer Bristlecone.
Alibabas cloud service subsidiary Aliyun and the Chinese Academy of Sciences jointly launched an 11-qubit quantum computing service, which is available to the public on its quantum computing cloud platform.
Alibaba is the second enterprise to offer the service to public after IBM.
However, its not only the tech giants that are noteworthy. GlobalData finds that well-funded startups have also targeted the quantum computing space to develop hardware, algorithms and security applications.
Some of them are Rigetti, Xanadu, 1Qbit, IonQ, ISARA, Q-CTRL and QxBranch.
Amazon, unlike the tech companies competing to launch quantum computers, is making quantum products of other companies available to users via Braket.
It currently supports quantum computing services from D-Wave, IonQ and Rigetti.
GlobalData principal disruptive tech analyst Kiran Raj says, Qubits can allow to create algorithms for the completion of a task with reduced computational complexity that cannot be achieved with traditional bits.
"Given such advantages, quantum computers can solve some of the intractable problems in cybersecurity, drug research, financial modelling, traffic optimisation and batteries to name a few.
Raj says, Albeit a far cry from the large-scale mainstream use, quantum computers are gearing up to be a transformative reality. They are highly expensive to build and it is hard to maintain the delicate state of superposition and entanglement of qubits.
"Despite such challenges, quantum computers will continue to progress into the future where companies may rent them to solve everyday problems the way they currently rent cloud services.
"It may not come as a surprise that quantum computing one day replaces artificial intelligence as the mainstream technology to help industries tackle problems they never would have attempted to solve before.
- ASC20-21 Student Supercomputer Challenge Kickoff: Quantum Computing Simulations, AI Language Exam and Pulsar Searching with FAST - Business Wire - November 26th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar with Hiroaki Kitano, 'Nobel Turing Challenge-Creating the Engine of Scientific Discovery' to Be Held Nov 26 - HPCwire - November 26th, 2020
- The Trillion-Transistor Chip That Just Left a Supercomputer in the Dust - Singularity Hub - November 26th, 2020
- Imperfections Lower the Simulation Cost of Quantum Computers - Physics - November 24th, 2020
- Is the blockchain vulnerable to hacking by quantum computers? - Moneyweb.co.za - November 24th, 2020
- Can a Computer Devise a Theory of Everything? - The New York Times - November 24th, 2020
- Cracking the Secrets of an Emerging Branch of Physics: Exotic Properties to Power Real-World Applications - SciTechDaily - November 24th, 2020
- Inside the Competition That Will Save Bitcoin From Quantum Computers - Decrypt - November 22nd, 2020
- Foreign policy expert: China is 'outstripping us' in technologies of the future - Brainerd Dispatch - November 22nd, 2020
- Cracking the secrets of an emerging branch of physics - MIT News - November 22nd, 2020
- #SpaceWatchGL Opinion: Quantum Technology and Impact of the Global Space Security - SpaceWatch.Global - November 22nd, 2020
- A Scoville Heat Scale For Measuring The Progress Of Emerging Technologies In 2021 - Forbes - November 22nd, 2020
- Democracies must team up to take on China in the technosphere - The Economist - November 22nd, 2020
- Honeywell fires up the H1, its second-generation quantum computer - CNET - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum computers could soon reveal all of our secrets. The race is on to stop that happening - ZDNet - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Expert Warns Governments May Be First to Crack Algorithms Keeping Bitcoin and the Internet Secure - The Daily Hodl - November 2nd, 2020
- Australia's Archer and its plan for quantum world domination - ZDNet - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Is Bigger Than Donald Trump - WIRED - November 2nd, 2020
- Will Quantum Mechanics Produce the True Thinking Computer? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 2nd, 2020
- Strategic Partnership will aid smooth work in the event of regional crisis: Australia High Commissioner - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2020
- Valuation of quantum computer maker D-Wave slashed by more than half after company struggles to raise financing - The Globe and Mail - October 27th, 2020
- 60-year-old limit to lasers overturned by quantum researchers - Griffith News - October 27th, 2020
- A Measured Approach to Regulating Fast-Changing Tech - Harvard Business Review - October 27th, 2020
- The Importance of Funding Quantum Physics, Even in a Pandemic - Inside Philanthropy - October 23rd, 2020
- Material found in paint may hold the key to a technological revolution - Advanced Science News - October 23rd, 2020
- What is Quantum Computing, and How does it Help Us? - Analytics Insight - October 13th, 2020
- QCE20: Here's what you can expect from Intel's new quantum computing research this week - Neowin - October 13th, 2020
- Canadian quantum computing firms partner to spread the technology - IT World Canada - October 13th, 2020
- Ten-year Forecasts for Quantum Networking Opportunities and Deployments Over the Coming Decade - WFMZ Allentown - October 13th, 2020
- Berkeley Lab Technologies Honored With 7 R&D 100 Awards - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - October 5th, 2020
- IBM Partners With HBCUs to Diversify Quantum Computing Workforce - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 25th, 2020
- How This Bangalore Based Startup Is Driving Innovation With Quantum Technology-Based Products - Analytics India Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- New faculty add to Yale's strength in applied mathematics - Yale News - September 25th, 2020
- NU receives $115 million federal grant to research and develop beyond state-of-the-art quantum computer - Daily Northwestern - September 24th, 2020
- IBM Just Committed to Having a Functioning 1,000 Qubit Quantum Computer by 2023 - ScienceAlert - September 24th, 2020
- IBM plans to build a 1121 qubit system. What does this technology mean? - The Hindu - September 24th, 2020
- Extending the life of the qubit | Temple Now - Temple University News - September 24th, 2020
- OSTP, NSF, DoE, and IBM make major push to strengthen research in AI and quantum - BlackEngineer.com - September 24th, 2020
- Heres why quantum computing is a cat among the pigeons - BusinessLine - September 12th, 2020
- The Hyperion-insideHPC Interviews: ORNL Distinguished Scientist Travis Humble on Coupling Classical and Quantum Computing - insideHPC - September 12th, 2020
- Oxford Instruments Partners With The 10 Million Consortium, To Launch The First Commercial Quantum Computer In UK - AZoNano - September 10th, 2020
- Combinations of new technologies will upend finance - The Australian Financial Review - September 10th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis by Growth, segmentation, performance, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2026 - Galus Australis - September 10th, 2020
- The Quantum Dream: Are We There Yet? - Toolbox - September 7th, 2020
- 17 extremely useful productivity tips from this years 40 Under 40 - Yahoo Finance UK - September 7th, 2020
- How Amazon Quietly Powers The Internet - Forbes - September 7th, 2020
- Study Expands Types of Physics, Engineering Problems That Can Be Solved by Quantum Computers - HPCwire - September 4th, 2020
- New evidence that the quantum world is even stranger than we thought - Purdue News Service - September 4th, 2020
- How Andersen Cheng plans to defend against the quantum computer - The Independent - September 4th, 2020
- Quantum computer to be hosted in Abingdon - ClickLancashire - September 4th, 2020
- Assistant director of NSFs Computer and Information Science and Engineering to give virtual talk Sept. 11 - Vanderbilt University News - September 4th, 2020
- Fermilab to lead $115 million National Quantum Information Science Research Center to build revolutionary quantum computer with Rigetti Computing,... - August 29th, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - August 29th, 2020
- Q-NEXT collaboration awarded National Quantum Initiative funding - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 29th, 2020
- UArizona Scientists to Build What Einstein Wrote off as Science Fiction - UANews - August 29th, 2020
- Quantum leap? US plans for unhackable internet may not fructify within a decade, but India is far behind - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Google distinguished scientist Hartmut Neven is one of Fast Company's - Fast Company - August 4th, 2020
- Quantum physicists say time travelers don't have to worry about the butterfly effect - The Next Web - August 2nd, 2020
- Week in review: BootHole, RCEs in industrial VPNs, the cybersecurity profession crisis - Help Net Security - August 2nd, 2020
- New UC-led institute awarded $25M to explore potential of quantum computing and train a future workforce - University of California - July 31st, 2020
- The future of encryption: Getting ready for the quantum computer attack - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- IBM and University of Tokyo team up for Quantum Innovation Initiative Consortium - SmartPlanet.com - July 31st, 2020
- 'Butterfly effect' is wrong and reality can 'heal itself', quantum scientists find in time travel experiment - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Research: the butterfly effect does not exist in the quantum model - FREE NEWS - July 31st, 2020
- Solving problems by working together: Could quantum computing hold the key to Covid-19? - ITProPortal - July 2nd, 2020
- Spain Introduces the World's First Quantum Phase Battery - News - All About Circuits - July 2nd, 2020
- Professor tackles one more mystery about quantum mechanics and times flow - GeekWire - July 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through June 27) - Singularity Hub - June 29th, 2020
- Kudos: Read about faculty, staff and student awards, appointments and achievements - Vanderbilt University News - June 29th, 2020
- This Is the First Universal Language for Quantum Computers - Popular Mechanics - June 21st, 2020
- Universal Quantum raises $4.5 million to build a large-scale quantum computer - VentureBeat - June 17th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Might Not have Quantum Resistance on its Roadmap, the QRL Team Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - June 17th, 2020
- Craig Knoblock Named Michael Keston Executive Director of the USC Information Sciences Institute - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - June 17th, 2020
- European quantum computing startup takes its funding to 32M with fresh raise - TechCrunch - June 11th, 2020
- SKT to expand use of new quantum-powered security solutions - The Korea Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Archer looks to commercialisation future with graphene-based biosensor tech - ZDNet - June 11th, 2020
- Dear NASA, please put a particle collider on the Moon - The Next Web - June 11th, 2020
- Top 10 emerging technologies of 2020: Winners and losers - TechRepublic - June 11th, 2020
- When Will Quantum Computing Come to Mainstream? - Analytics Insight - June 8th, 2020
- University announces 2020 winners of Quantrell and Graduate Teaching Awards - UChicago News - June 8th, 2020