Get notified about new releases by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook, or reading our blog.
The Stockfish engine was developed by Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, and Joona Kiiski. It is now being developed and maintained by the Stockfish community.
Stockfish for Mac was built by Daylen Yang. Stockfish for iOS was built by Tord Romstad.
The Stockfish project started with the open source Glaurung engine, authored by Tord Romstad. In November 2008, Marco Costalba forked the Glaurung 2.1 code and introduced Stockfish 1.0. Tord and Joona Kiiski joined the Stockfish project and the Glaurung project slowly faded away. Meanwhile, Stockfish quickly rose to become the strongest open source chess engine, with frequent updates every few months. Today, it remains one of the strongest engines in the world.
This website was built by Daylen Yang. The Stockfish icon was designed by Klein Maetschke.
Stockfish is free, and distributed under the GNU General Public License Version 3 (GPLv3). Essentially, this means that you are free to do almost exactly what you want with the program, including distributing it among your friends, making it available for download from your web site, selling it (either by itself or as part of some bigger software package), or using it as the starting point for a software project of your own.
The only real limitation is that whenever you distribute Stockfish in some way, you must always include the full source code, or a pointer to where the source code can be found. If you make any changes to the source code, these changes must also be made available under the GPL.
For full details, read the GPL.
About - Stockfish - Open Source Chess Engine
- The pursuit of Carlsens world cup rival in the chess engine is stopped - The KXAN 36 News - March 27th, 2020
- 5 best software to analyze chess games in 2019 - WindowsReport.com - November 18th, 2019
- Chessdom | Chess, chess news, live chess games - February 2nd, 2019
- Chess Engines Chess Tech - March 3rd, 2018
- Meet YU's Incoming Class - Yu News (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- See bots run - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - May 19th, 2017
- The Sublime Moves Of America's New Chess Champion - FiveThirtyEight - April 12th, 2017
- Chess AI, Old School - Hackaday - April 8th, 2017
- Can You Solve This Chess Puzzle That AI Software Can't? - Interesting Engineering - March 21st, 2017
- computer_chess:wiki:lists:chess_engine_list - Computer ... - October 12th, 2015
- Chess Engine In C - YouTube - October 7th, 2015
- Computer-chess Wiki: Private Engine List - September 25th, 2015
- Chess Engines - Tim Mann - May 20th, 2015
- ExaChess Downloads - May 20th, 2015
- Chess Engine's Min-Max Algorithm - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Blitz chess postmortem #401: Queen's gambit accepted - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Blitz chess postmortem #405: Robatsch (Modern) defense - Video - February 16th, 2015
- How to use the latest Stockfish 6 Chess engine within the ICC (chessclub.com) Blitzin interface - Video - February 3rd, 2015
- Blitz chess postmortem #395: King's gambit accepted - Fischer defense - Video - February 2nd, 2015
- Chess playing robot using labview - Video - January 24th, 2015
- BEST CHESS ENGINE 2015 - Video - January 20th, 2015
- Alex M.O.R.P.H. Feat. Sylvia Tosun - An Angel's Love (Mastered) - Video - November 16th, 2014
- Gull 3 vs Human (Me!): 1/2 - 1/2, against chess engine, 1 - Video - November 12th, 2014
- Stockfish DD vs Human (Me!): 1/2 - 1/2, against chess engine, 1 - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Stockfish 5 vs Human (Me!): 1/2 - 1/2, against chess engine, 1 - Video - November 9th, 2014
- GM Gata Kamsky vs Stockfish 5 64 SSE4.2 Chess Blitz On Internet Chess Club (ICC) - Video - October 2nd, 2014
- 4chan vs Expert Chess Engine (2000+) rating - Video - August 5th, 2014
- Generating Zobrist Keys - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 32 - Video - July 23rd, 2014
- Transposition Tables & Zobrist Keys - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 30 - Video - June 27th, 2014
- Ruy Lopez--Classical Defense --Opening Trap - Video - June 5th, 2014
- The Zero/Null Window Search - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 29 - Video - June 2nd, 2014
- The PVS Algorithm - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 28 - Video - May 28th, 2014
- Principal Variation Search - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 27 - Video - May 12th, 2014
- strongest chess engine in the world - Video - May 11th, 2014
- how to install chess engine (VERY EASY) - Video - May 11th, 2014
- CHESS LEGENDS iPhone App - Powered by World's No.2 AI Chess Engine "KOMODO 4.0" - Video - May 10th, 2014
- How to Connect the Chess Engine to Arena or any other GUI - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 26 - Video - May 6th, 2014
- Simple Chess Engine - AI test 4 - Human vs AI (first real AI!) - Video - May 4th, 2014
- UCI Move & Go (Part 3) - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 25 - Video - May 2nd, 2014
- UCI Moves (Part 2) - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 24 - Video - April 24th, 2014
- My own chess engine - Video - April 22nd, 2014
- Simple Chess Engine: AI Test 2 - AI vs AI - Video - April 22nd, 2014
- Implementing the UCI - Advanced Java Chess Engine Tutorial 23 - Video - April 11th, 2014
- Rybka - Official Site - April 11th, 2014