Call for Codes powerful ecosystem includes IBM, David Clark Cause, The Linux Foundation, and Charitable Partner United Nations Human Rights, together with a global movement of 400,000 developers across 179 nations
ARMONK, N.Y.,Sept. 28, 2020 Call for Code Founding Partner IBM (NYSE:IBM) and Creator David Clark Cause today announced the top five worldwide finalists for the 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge.Call for Codeunites hundreds of thousands of developers to create and deploy applications powered by open source technology that can tackle some of the worlds biggest challenges. This year, developers around the globe were asked to create solutions to help communities fight back against climate change and COVID-19.
Now in its third year, the Call for Code global competition has generated more than fifteen thousand solutions built using a combination of open source-powered products and technologies, including Red Hat OpenShift, IBM Cloud, IBM Watson, IBM Blockchain, data from The Weather Company, and APIs from ecosystem partners like HERE Technologies and IntelePeer. Since its launch in 2018, this movement has grown to more than 400,000 developers and problem solvers across 179 nations, reflecting the reality that challenges like climate change and COVID-19 demand solutions that work on the local level, but also have the ability to scale and help any community, anywhere.
This year of crisis underscores the need for the worlds developers and business leaders to apply the power of hybrid cloud, AI and open source technology to address societys most pressing issues, saidBob Lord, Senior Vice President, Cognitive Applications, Blockchain, and Ecosystems, IBM. For the third year in a row, the developer community has answered the Call for Code in overwhelming numbers, creating extraordinary solutions powered by open source technology. As a leader in open source with a long history of driving tech for good, it is incredibly gratifying for us at IBM to see how the broader tech community continues to come together, unified in purpose to make a tangible difference in the lives of so many.
Call for Code Global Top Five
These five finalists were chosen from an elite group of top solutions from each region of the world:
Each year, the Call for Code Global Prize winner receives$200,000and hands-on support from IBM, The Linux Foundation, and other partners to expand the open source community around their solution and to deploy their solution in areas of need. This years grand prize winner will be selected by an elite group of judges, including some of the mosteminent leadersin human rights, disaster risk reduction, business, and technology.
Path to Deployment
The IBM Service Corps and technical experts helped incubate and deploy the previous two Global Challenge winning solutions. Last years Call for Code Global Challenge winning team,Prometeo, created a wearable device that measures carbon monoxide, smoke concentration, humidity, and temperature to monitor firefighter safety in real-time as well as to help improve their health outcomes in the long-term. The solution was incubated and completed its first wildfire field test earlier this year during a controlled burn with the Grups de Refor dActuacions Forestals (GRAF) and the Grup dEmergncies Mdiques (GEM) dels Bombers de la Generalitat de Catalunya nearBarcelona, Spain. Prometeo was developed by a team comprising a veteran firefighter, an emergency medical nurse, and three developers.
Project Owl, the winning solution from Call for Code 2018, provides an offline communication infrastructure that gives first responders a simple interface for managing all aspects of a disaster. The physical clusterduck network is made of hubs that create a mesh network that can send speech-based communications using conversational systems to a central application. Together with the IBM Service Corps, Project Owl has been piloted acrossPuerto Rico, focusing on areas that were hit hard by hurricanes.
Both projects, as well asothers, continue to be incubated through the Call for Code deployment pipeline.
Call for Code University Edition
This year, IBM partnered with the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) to launch a dedicated University Edition within Call for Code. Together, IBM and CGI U reached more than 53,000 students around the world to help create solutions to fight COVID-19 and climate change. The 2020 Call for Code Challenge University finalists are:Kairos App(Latin America);Lupe(Europe);Pandemap(Asia Pacific);Plant-it(North America); andRechargd(Asia Pacific). Solutions in the University Edition are competing for a grand prize of$10,000. The grand prize-winning team and runner-up will also receive the opportunity to interview for a potential role at IBM.
This year, we launched the dedicated University Edition within the Call for Code Global Challenge so university students around the world could apply their learnings from the classroom, life experiences and imagination to tackling climate change and COVID-19 in sustainable, equitable and innovative ways, saidChelsea Clinton, Vice Chair,Clinton Foundation. These finalist solutions are outstanding, and we look forward to announcing a winner onOctober 13th.
Call for Codes growth and success is a product of the unique ecosystem that IBM and David Clark Cause have convened to unite the technology development community with humanitarian organizations ensuring that solutions are robust, efficient, innovative, and easy-to-use. This community includes the United Nations Human Rights Office, The Linux Foundation, United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Clinton Foundation and Clinton Global Initiative University, Cloud Native Computing Foundation, Verizon, Persistent Systems, Arrow Electronics, HERE Technologies, Ingram Micro, IntelePeer, Consumer Technology Association Foundation, World Bank, Caribbean Girls Hack, Kode With Klossy, World Institute on Disability, and many more.
We are facing a time of unprecedented crisis, saidLaurent Sauveur, Chief, External Relations, UN Human Rights While the COVID-19 pandemic puts lives and livelihoods at immediate risk, climate change is an existential threat for humanity. By triggering global engagement, initiatives like Call for Code open up the potential for developers and problem solvers around the world to put their skills to use to create inclusive and effective response solutions that can be deployed quickly yet have long-term impact.
The grand prize and University Edition winners will be announced onOctober 13via a digital event, the2020 Call for Code Awards: A Global Celebration of Tech for Good.
About Call for Code Global Challenge
Developers have revolutionized the way people live and interact with virtually everyone and everything. Where most people see challenges, developers see possibilities. Thats why David Clark Cause createdCall for Codein 2018, and launched it alongside Founding Partner IBM and their partner UN Human rights. This five-year,$30 millionglobal initiative is a rallying cry to developers to use their mastery of the latest technologies to drive positive and long-lasting change across the world through code. Call for Code global winning solutions are further developed, incubated, and deployed as sustainable open source projects to ensure they can drive positive change.
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- 'China-Backed Hacking Group' Allegedly Works on Global Campaign Targeting Automotives, Pharmaceutica - Tech Times - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- How IONOS is looking towards privacy and Europe for a solid share of the cloud market - Cloud Tech - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020
- The Enterprise of Tomorrow, Built on the Cloud and Edge - ETCIO.com - November 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Size and Forecast Research 2025 With Covid-19 Impact Analysis And Top Performing Players (Amazon Web... - November 8th, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications,... - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast by 2026 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Digital.com Announces Best WordPress Hosting Companies of 2020 - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Edge Data Solutions, Inc. Adds Joshua Holmes, Managing Partner of Lightspeed Hosting, LLC to the Advisory Board - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Manufacturing Cost Structure | Growth Opportunities, COVID 19 Drivers and Restraints to 2027: ,A2... - October 29th, 2020
- Webscale Partners With Redstage to Deliver World-Class Security and Scale to Global B2B/B2C Brands - GlobeNewswire - October 29th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Precise Summary of Regions Evolving, Technology, Trends | Forecast Up To 2026 Landa, Wedderburn, Giave, Greydon,... - October 29th, 2020
- Mission launches its most comprehensive AWS Managed Cloud Service with Mission Cloud One - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News -... - October 29th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Future Trends Analysis, Explosive Factors of Revenue by Manufacturing Size, Share and Forecast to 2026... - October 29th, 2020
- Bury cloud hosting firm's profits soar during the coronavirus crisis - Bury Times - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020-2020 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- DevOps Introduction, Lifecycle, and Evolution - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 24th, 2020
- Reltio Executive to Discuss the Data-Driven Experience Economy at the Hosting + Cloud Transformation Summit 2020 - Monterey County Weekly - October 24th, 2020
- IDC Industry Will Benefit from the Growth of Cloud Computing GDS to be Listed on the HKEx - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Showcases Capable Growth After Covid-19 Pandemic with Top Manufacturers: DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion,... - October 24th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Statistical Forecasts Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Players Amazon Web Services, AT... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Service Type, Hosting Type, Deployment, Enterprise Size,... - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in Application Hosting Market 2026 by Production Market Analysis and Regional Market Performance - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2019 Share, Size, Future Demand, Global Research, Top Leading player, Emerging Trends, Region by Forecast to 2027 - The... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2018 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Managing the Evolving Security Threat Landscape - Security Boulevard - October 6th, 2020
- Oklahoma Hospital Selects Evident EHR and TruBridge RCM Solutions for Their Integration, Intuitive Workflows, and Financial Efficiencies - Business... - October 6th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative Completes First Phase of the Farm of the Future - PRNewswire - October 6th, 2020
- Best Practices for Migrating SharePoint to Office 365 - The Sports Bank - October 6th, 2020
- A-List Osthoff Resort Positions for Travel Restart; Selects Maestro PMS During Industry Pause for Guest-Focused Mobile Services and Integrated... - October 6th, 2020
- VMware is making it easier for its customers to use Microsoft's cloud, but still considers Amazon its 'preferred partner' as AWS hosting for its... - October 5th, 2020
- The cost of website hosting for small businesses in 2020 - Startups.co.uk - October 5th, 2020
- A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com - October 5th, 2020
- The Fall Technology Refreshes Are Almost Here - IT Jungle - October 5th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Amazon Web Services (AWS),... - October 2nd, 2020
- Aptum Releases Part One of Quarterly Cloud Impact Study - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 2nd, 2020
- Accelerated Digital Transformation- The New Normal - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Edge Computing Will Drive $7 Billion of Revenue by 2025 - HostReview.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Inside-Out of the Digital-Transformation Strategies - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Timico accepted into the Government (G-Cloud) framework - Bdaily - October 2nd, 2020