Digitally focused companies want orderly, incremental changes to their software. What they don't want is time-consuming, expensive enterprise development efforts that tie the business to specific sets of hardware, software and middleware. A software maintenance model can provide the framework to achieve improvements without starting over.
Budget constraints are a major reason to choose software maintenance over a full-on replacement. IT organizations have two sources of money to fund software: money allocated to sustain current operations based on the accepted benefits, and project funding used to obtain new business benefits. It can be difficult to prove the new benefits -- and, thus, to justify major increases to software funding. Maintenance, then, is the only practical way to keep software aligned with business needs.
The maintenance process must be done in a systematic way. Select a general type of software maintenance based on the scope of the project, then choose a maintenance model that has the most benefits and fewest limitations for the specific project.
First, assess the impact scope of the changes the dev team proposes for a piece of software, both for the current cycle and next year.
Set a priority level. If the maintenance is needed to repair an application fault or introduce a capability that will drive business or comply with regulations, classify that as emergency maintenance. If the maintenance will accommodate the application's platform or utility roadmap, consider it scheduled maintenance. If the driver is stability or efficiency improvements, that is application modernization; in this case, evaluate whether the scope of the change justifies a rewrite of the application instead.
Organizations should explore common software maintenance models that align with the maintenance types and scopes laid out in the first part of this article.
Each software maintenance model has benefits and risks. The most common models are:
Quick-fix. In this model, you simply make a change without considering efficiency, cost or possible future work. The quick-fix model fits emergency maintenance only. Development policies should forbid the use of this model for any other maintenance motives. Consider forming a special team dedicated to emergency software maintenance. Make it the only group allowed to use this software maintenance model.
When using the quick-fix model, annotate changes with code comments and include a change ID. Enter these changes into a maintenance history that details why the change was made, who made it and what specific techniques they used. If multiple points in the code change, note each location and tie them together via the change ID.
Iterative. Use this model for scheduled maintenance or small-scale application modernization. The business justification for changes should either already exist or be unnecessary. The iterative model only gets the development team involved. The biggest risk here is that it doesn't include business justifications -- the software team won't know if larger changes are needed in the future. The iterative model treats the application target as a known quantity.
An iterative maintenance approach covers the common development steps of requirements, design, code, and test and verify results. This iterative flow is roughly the same as a complete software project and includes a benefits analysis.
Because it does not include business analysis, the iterative model best suits changes made to confined application targets, with little cross-impact on other apps or organizations.
Reuse. Similar to the iterative model, the reuse model includes the mandate to build, and then reuse, software components. These components can work in multiple places or applications. Some organizations equate this model to componentized iteration, but that's an oversimplification; the goal here is to create reusable components, which are then made available to all projects under all maintenance models. A dev team typically introduces the reuse model in the requirements phase, which means the process has a similar structure to that of the iterative model, once requirements for reuse are met.
When applying the reuse model, the dev team should consider components of the existing application for reuse, and either make modifications to them or add new ones. It's crucial to work within the organization's broader reuse missions with this approach. Dev teams can easily introduce too much specialization into code and prevent its reuse.
Closed-loop. Use the closed-loop model for scheduled maintenance and application modernization. In this model, the dev team proposes the project and stakeholders must validate its business case before work begins. Once the business and development stakeholders approve, maintenance work proceeds via the iterative model's flow. The loop closes when the dev team evaluates the changes in the live software, and proposes additional work to improve the product, kicking off a new round of proposed changes and business validation.
Closed-loop maintenance goes through several phases. In the analysis phase, the organization establishes the business case for changes. Then, the dev team goes through requirements gathering and approval. At this point, the business assesses the project relative to overall software structures, data center and cloud hosting initiatives and other proposed projects. From this analysis, the organization creates the actual project requirements.
The Boehm and Taute models are formal methodologies for closed-loop maintenance projects. The Boehm model adapts economic principles to maintenance decisions. The Taute model specifies estimates and scheduling for a change before the IT team carries out programming, test and implementation. Like in the Boehm model, the IT team observes the updated software product and makes new proposals for changes, restarting the loop. Some organizations say the Boehm model aligns more easily than Taute's to enterprise architecture principles.
Most organizations use multiple software maintenance models, depending on the situation. Emergency maintenance is a standalone situation. For scheduled maintenance, iterative and closed-loop models differ primarily in how tightly they integrate business operations and benefit analysis. Some software maintenance projects should be vetted for their benefits, while others need no such proof to proceed.
View original post here:
4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget
- Managing the Evolving Security Threat Landscape - Security Boulevard - October 6th, 2020
- Oklahoma Hospital Selects Evident EHR and TruBridge RCM Solutions for Their Integration, Intuitive Workflows, and Financial Efficiencies - Business... - October 6th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative Completes First Phase of the Farm of the Future - PRNewswire - October 6th, 2020
- Best Practices for Migrating SharePoint to Office 365 - The Sports Bank - October 6th, 2020
- A-List Osthoff Resort Positions for Travel Restart; Selects Maestro PMS During Industry Pause for Guest-Focused Mobile Services and Integrated... - October 6th, 2020
- VMware is making it easier for its customers to use Microsoft's cloud, but still considers Amazon its 'preferred partner' as AWS hosting for its... - October 5th, 2020
- The cost of website hosting for small businesses in 2020 - Startups.co.uk - October 5th, 2020
- A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com - October 5th, 2020
- The Fall Technology Refreshes Are Almost Here - IT Jungle - October 5th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Amazon Web Services (AWS),... - October 2nd, 2020
- Aptum Releases Part One of Quarterly Cloud Impact Study - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 2nd, 2020
- Accelerated Digital Transformation- The New Normal - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Edge Computing Will Drive $7 Billion of Revenue by 2025 - HostReview.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Inside-Out of the Digital-Transformation Strategies - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Timico accepted into the Government (G-Cloud) framework - Bdaily - October 2nd, 2020
- What factors to consider when choosing a web hosting company | - Daily Invest News - October 2nd, 2020
- InMotion Hosting Upgrades their Dedicated Servers with Latest Intel Xeon Scalable Technology - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market 2020 By Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast To 2026 (Based On 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide... - October 2nd, 2020
- Oracle Live 2020 - not all ERP clouds are created equal. Oracle makes the public cloud ERP case - Diginomica - October 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 29th, 2020
- Detailed Profiling of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market (Covid-19 Updated) Insights 2020 to 2026 | Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata... - September 29th, 2020
- Two Scottish firms are listed on lucrative G-Cloud 12 framework - Insider.co.uk - September 29th, 2020
- What are the Key Benefits of NetApp Cloud Manager? - CIOReview - September 29th, 2020
- Airtel And Radware Partner to Offer Cloud Security Services to Businesses in India - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2020 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - September 29th, 2020
- Reporter's Notebook: I Live in the Best St. Cloud Neighborhood - WJON News - September 29th, 2020
- Pegasystems Inc expand its India leadership team - United News of India - September 29th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report 2020-2026 By Players, Regions, Product Types & Applications | Amazon Web Services, AT... - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud 2020 In conversation with China Mobiles Eric Chiu - MyBroadband - September 29th, 2020
- An introduction to Alibaba cloud offerings - TechTarget - September 29th, 2020
- iland bridges major data protection gaps in Microsoft 365 - RealWire - September 29th, 2020
- TikTok won't be banned from US app stores. Here's why. - News@Northeastern - September 29th, 2020
- Railway Management System Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: ABB, Alstom, Ansaldo,... - September 29th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Global Share, Segment Analysis, Growth Drivers And Forecast To 2028 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge Finalists Selected for Innovative Solutions to Take on COVID-19 and Climate Change - GISuser.com - September 29th, 2020
- Ace Cloud Hosting Announces Partnership With ICAT Systems - AiThority - September 22nd, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - September 22nd, 2020
- The travel forecast is uncertain, other than the presence of the cloud - PhocusWire - September 22nd, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Analysis, Revenue, Key Players, Trends, Growth, Size, Share and Forecast 2020 to 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Cloud-based solutions and hosting solutions are every country's overall development - Namibia Economist - September 22nd, 2020
- 5 IT spend trends to watch - CIO Dive - September 22nd, 2020
- U.S. Department of Commerce Publishes Transactions with ByteDance and Tencent That Are Prohibited Due to National Security Concerns Raised by TikTok... - September 22nd, 2020
- Cloud 2020 In conversation with Huaweis Ray Rui - MyBroadband - September 22nd, 2020
- GlobalOutlook enabling SMBs to be Productive during COVID-19 with its Fanatic Support - PR Newswire India - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - MyHostNews.com - August 18th, 2020
- Nuance Expands Availability of Cloud-Based Dragon Professional Anywhere Solution - Yahoo Finance - August 18th, 2020
- API integration of microservices needs more than a service mesh - Diginomica - August 18th, 2020
- Cloud Repatriation: Why It's More Than 'Just' Public Cloud Retreat - ITPro Today - August 18th, 2020
- Geotab Achieves FedRAMP Authorization for Its Cloud-Based Telematics Platform - Business Wire - August 18th, 2020
- Multi-Vital Ambulatory Monitor for COVID-19 Patients Launches in the US - - HIT Consultant - August 18th, 2020
- Technology Management Concepts Honored as a 'Top 100 VAR' for the 'Bob Scott's Top VAR 100' & the 'AccountingToday 2020 VAR 100' Lists - PR Web - August 18th, 2020
- Huawei is the main sponsor of the Cloud 2020 Conference - MyBroadband - August 18th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2020| Global Share, Comprehensive Analysis, Size, Covid-19 Analysis, Future Estimations and Key Industry Segments Poised... - August 18th, 2020
- In Contrast to 'Permanent Remote Work,' VMware Messaging Touts 'Return-to-Office' - Virtualization Review - August 18th, 2020
- New Island provides full ITSM capabilities from AWS with locally hosted BMC Helix - Intelligent CIO Africa - August 18th, 2020
- IT infrastructure that's agile - ITWeb - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020