With the world moving online at an unprecedented pace, there is a heightening vulnerability when it comes to cybersecurity. Just in the past few months alone, we have seen a ransomware attack against K-Electric and data breaches at Bykea and Swvl.
Expand the timeline a little further and you get names like Careem and BankIslami joining the ranks. What should be obvious by now is that investments in technology infrastructure and teams arent being complemented by security concerns or at least capabilities. But thats a challenge, and an opportunity this Karachi-based startup wants to take head on.
Meet Cloudnosys, a software for cloud security and compliance. It integrates with your system and lets companies audit the existing technology infrastructure without any expert knowledge of the technicalities, while also helping them achieve the relevant standards (such as General Data Protection Regulation or The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, depending on the geography and industry).
All of this works on a checklist style that you can see from the dashboard, with the platform spelling out high and low risk areas and suggesting remedies as well. What more, it gives a clear workflow to follow in order to improve cyber security in weak areas. You can zoom in to find out which users are lacking where or the standing with respect to each server the data is hosted on.
Unlike on-premise servers where one basically owns the data centres and can pull the plug as a last resort, public cloud is built on a community basis that in a way results in loss of control. And despite the checks and balances meant to ensure security of the infrastructure by the service provider, the shared responsibility model delegates the operational maintenance to an individual client. That means contrary to the popular belief, hosting data with, say, Amazon or Microsoft doesnt mean the cybersecurity headache ends there.
However, in the case of Pakistan, cybersecurity doesnt exactly feature among the top headaches at organisations, at least beyond clearing audits by regulators if applicable. Whatever little landscape that does exist is mostly served by managed service providers, which act as IT consultants, offering customised solutions, reselling global products locally or conducting trainings. As far as the product-based ecosystem is concerned, its largely missing.
Cloudnosys spun out as a separate product from Atompoint, a tech company operating out of Karachi. We used to make WordPress themes and plugins, of which some got popular. Then in 2017, my partner Kamran Mahboob who lives Atlanta, spoke to me about the growing proliferation of cloud and how that creates a need for enhanced security. Soon after, we started developing the software and finally launched it in 2019, founder CEO Yunus Jamal tells Dawn.
As for the funds, Yunus and co are currently bootstrapping and plan to keep it as such, at least until boarding 15 or more medium/large enterprise clients. Regarding the business model, you probably guessed it: the startups revenues come from subscriptions with plans starting from $499 a month which comes with 100 instances and two compliance standards among other things.
Then come the work group and growing packages at price tags of $1,250 and $2,500, and finally theres the enterprise option for customisable features and rate.
With that pricing, one naturally wonders how many can even afford this software? After all, there are not a lot of companies, definitely not in Pakistan, that can or are at least willing to dole out such an amount for cybersecurity needs? That too for an agent-less product?
The cost of running this product for us is high, so we need to first position ourselves in the enterprise market before expanding into the SME with more basic features, the founder says.
Within the cloud security software space, the startup is directly up against Armor, a well-established Texas-based company operating in the industry for over a decade with almost $150 million funding. Theres also AT&T Cybersecurity, which acquired AlienVault, to consolidate its position in this space. But the founder is confident of his product.
Our unique selling point is flexibility and centralisation of security monitoring. Cloudnosys can accommodate enterprises by letting them integrate their own security scripts and third-party tools. This allows us to provide full end-to-end monitoring and response for all layers of the application and not just the cloud, explains Jamal.
With regards to the latter, he says: First of all, their solution is 5x more expensive, starting at $7,000. They have security tools, rather than a platform which means it basically lacks flexibility and integration with other external platforms.
Keeping all my blabbering aside, whats the scope for a product catering to cloud security when on-premise data centres reign supreme in our country? As a follower market, we will eventually make the move towards cloud and cybersecurity. Its only a matter of time, opines Jamal.
He has a point. In fact, just on September 28, the State Bank of Pakistan issued a circular allowing financial institutions - which despite their many shortcomings are still perhaps the most regulated players in terms of cybersecurity - to host their non-critical data on cloud servers. Once that transition kicks in, there would be an increased need for security and with that, possibly a more willing market for Cloudnosys.
The writer is member of staff: email@example.com Twitter: @MutaherKhan
Published in Dawn, October 4th, 2020
Read more from the original source:
A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com
- Cloud Technology and Healthcare Evolution: Microsoft in the Spotlight HIT Consultant - HIT Consultant - August 1st, 2021
- Hostwinds Review 2021: Not The Cheapest Web Hosting Option, But A Quality One - Forbes - August 1st, 2021
- How We Cancel-Proofed Our Online Start-Up By Leaving The Cloud - The Federalist - August 1st, 2021
- Only 50% of Amazon Is Retail - Marketplace Pulse - August 1st, 2021
- The 6 Most Popular Types of Web Hosting Services in 2021 - London Post - August 1st, 2021
- HTML smuggling is the latest cybercrime tactic you need to worry about - TechRepublic - August 1st, 2021
- This business is enabling a new level of personalisation with cloud technology - YourStory - August 1st, 2021
- Kingsport's Cloud Park to close on August 1 WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather - WJHL-TV News Channel 11 - August 1st, 2021
- Red Hat and Nutanix Announce Strategic Partnership to Deliver Open Hybrid Multicloud Solutions - Business Wire - August 1st, 2021
- The Preserve hosts pro disc golf tournament this weekend in Clearwater - SC Times - August 1st, 2021
- Navigating data sovereignty through complexity - Information Age - August 1st, 2021
- GeekTek, MSP of the Year, to Rebrand as XOverture - WFMZ Allentown - August 1st, 2021
- Cloud services: Finding the right fit - IT Brief Australia - August 1st, 2021
- What are the top ten web hosting trends? Film Daily - Film Daily - August 1st, 2021
- Corporate Participation in the Open Source Community | Expert Advice - LinuxInsider.com - August 1st, 2021
- Web hosting trends: moving services to the cloud - TechRadar - July 27th, 2021
- Syntax and AWS SAP Migration Factory Launch to Support Customers in Migrating and Modernizing their SAP Systems on AWS - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2021
- The Center for Health Affairs Partners with ORock Technologies to Offer IT Infrastructure and Cloud Solutions - Markets Insider - July 27th, 2021
- Replicated raises $50 million for its on-prem software delivery tools - SiliconANGLE News - July 27th, 2021
- Vital Images and CloudWave Partner to Bring Secure Cloud-Based Enterprise Imaging Solutions to Healthcare Delivery Organizations - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- HostArmada A Review of the Global Web Hosting Solutions Provider - TechBullion - July 27th, 2021
- Explore the benefits of data center as a service - TechTarget - July 27th, 2021
- Microsoft made $167m a day in profit, every day, over the past 12 months - The Register - July 27th, 2021
- Remember when Microsoft devs got so excited about Windows 8 features, Twitter thought it was under attack? - The Register - July 27th, 2021
- 8 Open Source GitHub Repositories That Are Trending Right Now - Analytics India Magazine - July 27th, 2021
- Managed Services Markets, 2026 - Focus on Managed Security, Managed Network, and Managed Data Center and IT Infrastructure - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - July 27th, 2021
- Element bolsters decentralized team messaging with $30M raise - VentureBeat - July 27th, 2021
- Sage Partner Cloud expands path to the cloud for US - GlobeNewswire - July 25th, 2021
- Autocross Returns to St. Cloud, Circuit Coming in 2022 [PHOTOS] - WJON News - July 25th, 2021
- Sage Partner Cloud expands path to the cloud for U.S. - Headlines of Today - Headlines of Today - July 25th, 2021
- InMotion Hosting vs DreamHost: Pick the best web hosting for your business - TechRadar - July 25th, 2021
- Zoom to buy cloud-based call center operator Five9 in $15 bln deal - Reuters - July 25th, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2021- Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2027 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - July 25th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025| Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google, GoDaddy, Dreamhost, Earthlink, and... - July 25th, 2021
- A lot of websites are down - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Pfizer saved millions by shifting cold data into the cloud. Could you do the same? - The Register - July 25th, 2021
- Govt forced to release overdue COVIDSafe report - iTnews - July 25th, 2021
- The ransomware risk management calculus is changing for OT, ICS and critical infrastructure - TechRepublic - July 25th, 2021
- Summit Hosting Expands Cloud Hosting Services with Acquisition of I-Business Network's Cloud Services Practice - PRNewswire - July 1st, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 1st, 2021
- DOD CIO takes heat on the Hill for pace of MilCloud 2.0 migrations - FCW.com - July 1st, 2021
- Technology 101: What is the cloud, where is it and why should you care? - American Press - July 1st, 2021
- Aunalytics Announces FedRAMP Ready Status of Its Cloud - StreetInsider.com - July 1st, 2021
- Vertafore unveils next generation of ImageRight to transform productivity and user experience for insurers - PRNewswire - July 1st, 2021
- Brighton business Hyve takes home two prestigious awards - The Argus - July 1st, 2021
- Apple will be the biggest customer of Google Cloud - SwordsToday.ie - July 1st, 2021
- Get a dedicated server in five minutes - The Register - July 1st, 2021
- Azure to host worlds largest geospatial data platform, over 100 petabytes of 3D data - IT Brief New Zealand - July 1st, 2021
- Aunalytics Announces FedRAMP Ready Status of Its Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 29th, 2021
- ScalaHosting and AWS to deliver new SPanel web hosting capabilities - TechRadar - June 29th, 2021
- Vertafore unveils next generation of ImageRight to transform productivity and user experience for insurers - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2021
- BMO Global Asset Management (EMEA) Deploys NICE Cloud Compliance Recording for Microsoft Teams to Support Remote Workforce and Full Agility - Business... - June 29th, 2021
- What is GitHub? How to start using the code hosting platform - Business Insider - June 29th, 2021
- Increasing Government Resilience with Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery - GovTech - June 29th, 2021
- Google and Ericsson team up to help enterprises apply 5G in their operations - SiliconANGLE News - June 29th, 2021
- Frequent Disaster Recovery Testing Is Critical To Meeting Recovery Objectives, New iland Study Finds - GlobeNewswire - June 29th, 2021
- Deals: Save 93% on the iBrave Cloud Web Hosting Lifetime Subscription - Geeky Gadgets - June 22nd, 2021
- 2 St. Cloud DFLers to host town halls as special session and state budget work wraps up - SC Times - June 22nd, 2021
- Summer is back! And so are our community festivals. Show up and show your support - SC Times - June 22nd, 2021
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Condition, Estimations and Forecast By 2027 |IBM Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace... - June 22nd, 2021
- 5 Best Web Development in Chicago - Kev's Best - June 22nd, 2021
- Verito Technologies forays into QuickBooks Hosting Services, Accelerating their Cloud Transformation During the Pandemic | The Magazineplus - The... - June 19th, 2021
- Inflexion will combine ANS and UKFast to create cloud and digital group - ComputerWeekly.com - June 19th, 2021
- Understanding the Multi-Cloud Approach: What It Is and Why It's Important - CMSWire - June 19th, 2021
- Agencies Embrace the Year of Multicloud - Nextgov - June 19th, 2021
- MEA Cloud Computing Market worth $31.4 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2021
- Global Video Conferencing Market to see Surge in Growth to $22.5 Billion Between 2021 and 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - June 19th, 2021
- PracticeEvolve announce Pathway to the Cloud allowing firms to level up - Today's Conveyancer - June 19th, 2021
- PE group backing UKFast buys IT specialist to form new entity, leading to 100 new jobs | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - June 19th, 2021
- How to build a CI/CD pipeline with Azure and GitHub - TechTarget - June 19th, 2021
- Business Process as a Service Market Will Boast Developments in Global Industry by 2021-2026 || Key Players International Business Machines ,Infosys... - June 19th, 2021
- ZOL to stop providing email and Webhosting services directly, customers to be migrated to Microsoft 365 at start of July - Technology Zimbabwe - June 19th, 2021
- Multicluster Management with Kubernetes and Istio The New Stack - thenewstack.io - June 19th, 2021
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Industry Research Report 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 12th, 2021
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market By Excellent Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, And Statistics Forecasts Up To 2026 KSU | The... - June 12th, 2021
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2021 Opportunities and Key Players To 2027 Rackspace, Datapipe, Sify, NTT Communications, NxtGen, BT The... - June 12th, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Cloud Growth in the First Quarter - Business Wire - June 12th, 2021
- Troubleshooting cloud migrating problems, before they cause a storm - TechNative - June 12th, 2021
- Save 50% off a hosted Mac Mini subscription from MacStadium with this exclusive WWDC offer - 9to5Mac - June 12th, 2021
- Apple unveils new privacy features in iOS 15 and other products - CBS News - June 12th, 2021