When choosing between cloud providers, most U.S.-based enterprises and cloud developers primarily lean toward AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud. While the Big Three providers dominate the cloud market, the fourth largest -- China-based Alibaba Cloud -- is also worth noting for its breadth of cloud services and expanding global availability.
Similar to the emergence of AWS from Amazon, Alibaba Cloud is a product of the Alibaba Group, a Chinese e-commerce giant.
Alibaba Cloud currently operates in 21 data center regions and 63 global availability zones. It is primarily focused on areas in mainland China and other Asia-Pacific regions, but there are also two regions in the U.S. and two in the European Union.
In terms of its place in the public cloud market, Alibaba Cloud is the biggest public cloud in China, and it's still growing rapidly, said Rachel Liu, senior research manager at IDC China's Enterprise Research Group. Alibaba's cloud revenue grew 59% year-over-year in the second quarter of 2020, according to its latest quarterly report.
Along with the other top providers, Alibaba Cloud offers various cloud infrastructure and application development services. Alibaba follows the standard usage-based, pay-as-you-go pricing model that the majority of providers have adopted.
"In terms of the product type and quantity, I think Alibaba has caught up with the top three cloud providers, which can provide over 200 products in the China market," Liu said. "Alibaba has a rich infrastructure portfolio, which includes computing, network, storage, security and hybrid cloud solutions."
Get to know some of the provider's services with this introduction to Alibaba cloud offerings for compute, storage, database and networking.
Elastic Compute Service (ECS). This is the platform's core IaaS offering for scalable compute capacity. Developers use ECS to deploy virtual servers -- called instances -- within their Alibaba cloud environments. ECS instances deliver the computing requirements -- such as CPU, memory and network bandwidth -- necessary to run and manage applications. IT teams can choose from various ECS instance types and change them depending on workload needs.
ECS Bare Metal Instance. This Alibaba computing service combines the features of VMs and physical machines. ECS Bare Metal Instance provides the elasticity and scalability of VMs with the performance and isolation of physical servers. This service supports standard ECS instances and nested virtualization. ECS Bare Metal Instance is a good fit for an application that requires non-virtualized environments and strong resource isolation.
Container Service for Kubernetes (ACK). Alibaba's container management service provides a runtime-environment for Kubernetes-based container applications. Developers create and deploy Kubernetes clusters in ACK, which integrates with Alibaba Cloud services for virtualization, storage and security. In addition to ACK, Alibaba's other container offerings are Container Registry, a platform for containerized image hosting, and Elastic Container Instance, for serverless container instances.
Function Compute. IT teams use this serverless platform so they can focus on code development instead of server management. This event-driven computing service supports synchronous and asynchronous calls to trigger functions. Users can select pay-as-you-go or lower-cost subscription pricing, or use a combination of both. Function Compute has notable service limitations -- i.e., no more than 50 functions can be created under a single service and no more than 10 triggers can be created under a single function.
Object Storage Service (OSS). This service stores high volumes of data in the cloud. Enterprises can store any type of unstructured data in OSS, such as image, audio and video files for applications and websites. OSS hosted data is encrypted and highly available. Objects are stored in buckets, which administrators can configure to meet requirements based on region, access controls and storage class. Alibaba offers four OSS storage classes: Standard, Infrequent Access (IA), Archive and Cold Archive. The Standard class is highly available and reliable for frequent data access. IA, Archive and Cold Archive are lower cost storage tiers for data that requires less frequent access.
Apsara File Storage NAS. This service provides network attached file storage (NAS) for ECS instances, Elastic High-Performance Computing instances and Container Service for Kubernetes nodes. File Storage NAS provides a distributed file system with maximum capacity of up to 10 PB that automatically scales when files are added or removed. This service encrypts data at rest -- as well as in transit -- and offers shared access, high throughput, data replication and backup. Users can access data from this NAS storage service via standard file access protocols.
Elastic Block Storage. Alibaba provides block storage devices for ECS instances with this service. Elastic Block Storage offers cloud block storage disks based on Alibaba cloud architecture and local disks. Local block storage disks are physical devices attached to physical machines that host ECS instances. Elastic Block Storage devices feature low-latency storage, random read-write capabilities and data persistence.
ApsaraDB for PolarDB. This relational database service is compatible with MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle syntaxes. PolarDB has 100 TB maximum storage capacity. PolarDB decouples compute and storage resources. This relational database features low-latency physical replication, data backup and disaster recovery. Alibaba also offers PolarDB stacks, a database appliance designed for on-premises database management.
ApsaraDB for MongoDB. This NoSQL database is based on the open source MongoDB protocol. ApsaraDB for MongoDB is a document database that features automatic monitoring and scalability. Architecture configurations for this database service include standalone instances, replica set instances and sharded cluster instances.
LedgerDB. The platform's ledger database offers data auditing capabilities and uses blockchain database technology. This database service is useful for keeping data records and executing data tracing tasks. LedgerDB can perform 300,000 transactions per second on a single ledger for a single client.
Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). IT teams create a private, isolated network dedicated to their cloud accounts with this VPC service. Developers can customize their VPCs to meet their cloud network requirements by defining the IP address range, route tables and network gateways. VPCs can connect to other VPCs or on-premises data centers.
Server Load Balancer. Alibaba's Server Load Balancer distributes inbound traffic across multiple ECS instances. The service virtualizes these ECS instances into back-end servers using virtual IP addresses, which helps avoid the risks of a single point of failure and improves availability. This service enables fast response times to traffic spikes.
Alibaba Cloud DNS. This domain name system (DNS) service translates domain names into machine-readable IP addresses. Alibaba Cloud DNS routes user queries to websites and application servers. It can handle millions of DNS queries per second and comes with security features to protect against DNS attacks.
Alibaba Cloud PrivateZone. This service provides a private domain name management system based on specified VPCs. IT teams use PrivateZone to resolve IP addresses and manage resources. With this service, the domain names cannot be accessed over the internet or any other resource besides the specified VPCs.
An introduction to Alibaba cloud offerings - TechTarget
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- 'China-Backed Hacking Group' Allegedly Works on Global Campaign Targeting Automotives, Pharmaceutica - Tech Times - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- How IONOS is looking towards privacy and Europe for a solid share of the cloud market - Cloud Tech - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020
- The Enterprise of Tomorrow, Built on the Cloud and Edge - ETCIO.com - November 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Size and Forecast Research 2025 With Covid-19 Impact Analysis And Top Performing Players (Amazon Web... - November 8th, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications,... - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast by 2026 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Digital.com Announces Best WordPress Hosting Companies of 2020 - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Edge Data Solutions, Inc. Adds Joshua Holmes, Managing Partner of Lightspeed Hosting, LLC to the Advisory Board - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Manufacturing Cost Structure | Growth Opportunities, COVID 19 Drivers and Restraints to 2027: ,A2... - October 29th, 2020
- Webscale Partners With Redstage to Deliver World-Class Security and Scale to Global B2B/B2C Brands - GlobeNewswire - October 29th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Precise Summary of Regions Evolving, Technology, Trends | Forecast Up To 2026 Landa, Wedderburn, Giave, Greydon,... - October 29th, 2020
- Mission launches its most comprehensive AWS Managed Cloud Service with Mission Cloud One - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News -... - October 29th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Future Trends Analysis, Explosive Factors of Revenue by Manufacturing Size, Share and Forecast to 2026... - October 29th, 2020
- Bury cloud hosting firm's profits soar during the coronavirus crisis - Bury Times - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020-2020 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- DevOps Introduction, Lifecycle, and Evolution - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 24th, 2020
- Reltio Executive to Discuss the Data-Driven Experience Economy at the Hosting + Cloud Transformation Summit 2020 - Monterey County Weekly - October 24th, 2020
- IDC Industry Will Benefit from the Growth of Cloud Computing GDS to be Listed on the HKEx - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Showcases Capable Growth After Covid-19 Pandemic with Top Manufacturers: DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion,... - October 24th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Statistical Forecasts Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Players Amazon Web Services, AT... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Service Type, Hosting Type, Deployment, Enterprise Size,... - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in Application Hosting Market 2026 by Production Market Analysis and Regional Market Performance - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2019 Share, Size, Future Demand, Global Research, Top Leading player, Emerging Trends, Region by Forecast to 2027 - The... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2018 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Managing the Evolving Security Threat Landscape - Security Boulevard - October 6th, 2020
- Oklahoma Hospital Selects Evident EHR and TruBridge RCM Solutions for Their Integration, Intuitive Workflows, and Financial Efficiencies - Business... - October 6th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative Completes First Phase of the Farm of the Future - PRNewswire - October 6th, 2020
- Best Practices for Migrating SharePoint to Office 365 - The Sports Bank - October 6th, 2020
- A-List Osthoff Resort Positions for Travel Restart; Selects Maestro PMS During Industry Pause for Guest-Focused Mobile Services and Integrated... - October 6th, 2020
- VMware is making it easier for its customers to use Microsoft's cloud, but still considers Amazon its 'preferred partner' as AWS hosting for its... - October 5th, 2020
- The cost of website hosting for small businesses in 2020 - Startups.co.uk - October 5th, 2020
- A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com - October 5th, 2020
- The Fall Technology Refreshes Are Almost Here - IT Jungle - October 5th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Amazon Web Services (AWS),... - October 2nd, 2020
- Aptum Releases Part One of Quarterly Cloud Impact Study - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 2nd, 2020
- Accelerated Digital Transformation- The New Normal - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Edge Computing Will Drive $7 Billion of Revenue by 2025 - HostReview.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Inside-Out of the Digital-Transformation Strategies - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Timico accepted into the Government (G-Cloud) framework - Bdaily - October 2nd, 2020