Signing up for a simple web hosting package will usually buy you a defined block of resources on a single server: this much web space, that much bandwidth, maybe a set amount of RAM or CPU cores.
While this works well for many websites, having fixed resources can be a problem for larger projects. There's generally no way to temporarily allocate extra RAM or bandwidth if you experience an increase in traffic, and even a simple plan upgrade might require your website to go offline for a while.
Cloud hosting plans look much like virtual private server (VPS) products, where you'll initially pay for a set amount of web space, RAM, CPU time and bandwidth. But these resources are spread across multiple devices instead of just one, and changing your plan later adding another gig of RAM, for instance is generally as easy as dragging a slider, with the extra power coming online within moments.
This flexibility is great for delivering extra power when you need it most, and starting prices can be similar to regular VPS hosting (from 10 or $14 a month). Costs will rise as you add resources, but typically you'll only pay for the time in which you use these resources.
DigitalOcean's monster 192GB RAM, 32 vCPU and 3,840GB SSD product costs $960 (685) a month, for instance, but this pay-as-you-go approach allows you to try it out for $1.429 or 1.02 an hour.
Cloud hosting still won't be for everyone, and small, simple websites are likely to be better off with regular packages. But the technology has a lot to offer anyone with larger or more ambitious projects, and many hosts run free trials which make it easy to explore their abilities for yourself.
A great option for smaller operations
Simple to use
Solid range of plans
Temptingly priced with initial discounts
Cloud hosting isn't just for big business. HostGator's cloud platform spreads your website load across multiple virtual server instances for more reliable and scalable hosting, but it's as easy to use as standard shared hosting, and only costs a little more.
For example, the baseline Hatchling Cloud plan gets you support for one domain, unmetered bandwidth and storage, a share of up to two cores and 2GB RAM, and distributed Varnish caching to speed up the loading of static content. You can get started for as little as $4.95 (3.50) a month if you buy three years upfront, although the price leaps to $8.95 (6.40) on renewal.
If you need something more powerful, the top-of-the-range Business Cloud plan supports unlimited domains, gives you up to six cores and 6GB RAM, and includes private SSL and a dedicated IP. Another chunky introductory discount means you can pay as little as $9.95 (7.10) a month over three years, but after that you'll pay $17.95 (12.80) per month.
Benefits of the cloud plans include (up to) twice as fast load times, along with more site statistics, and because your site is mirrored across multiple devices, the ability to switch your site to another server in the event of a hardware failure.
But the key advantage of all cloud hosting schemes is scalability. If your site can't cope with demand, you can scale up to eight cores and 8GB RAM with a click. There's no waiting around for someone to process your order and no downtime while your web space is reallocated you get the extra resources right away.
Offers a wide range of plans catering for all users
Powerful Flex plan
Extras like DDoS protection
Can try before you buy
1&1 Cloud Server Hosting is a powerful range of products which combine dedicated server resources with the performance, flexibility and scalability of the best cloud hosting technologies.
Seven standard root access (self-managed) configurations aim to cover everyone from the individual user (9.99 or $14 a month for a single CPU core, 1GB RAM and 50GB storage) to big businesses (16 cores, 48GB RAM and 500GB storage for a monster 349 or $488 a month).
All plans have decent specifications, giving you unlimited traffic and email accounts, a bundled SSL certificate, DDoS protection and a choice of US and European data centers.
A wide range of options includes Windows hosting, or managed hosting with your choice of stack: Apache + MySQL + PHP 7.2, Nginx + MariaDB + PHP 7.2, Joomla, Drupal, WordPress and more.
The highlight of the range is probably 1&1's Cloud Hosting Flex package. Not only does this allow for adjusting cores, RAM and storage on demand, and adding up to 99 servers to the same contract, but billing is by the minute and you're only charged for what you use.
Prices start at 22.28 ($31.20) a month including the management fee. There's no long-term contract and the first 30 days is free, giving you the chance to try before you buy.
A neat compromise between power and ease-of-use
User-friendly yet powerful
At first glance, cloud hosting products seem to be divided into two clear groups: user-friendly but basic products from hosts like 1&1, and enterprise-level technology from Amazon, Microsoft, IBM and more, which is so complex that even experts might struggle to set it up.
Cloudways represents an interesting middle path. The company offers managed cloud hosting which is powered by your choice of the top providers Amazon, Google, DigitalOcean, Kyup, Linode or Vultr are supported and comes packed with features, yet is configured from a simple web console which is just as easy to use as the more basic competition.
It's an impressive platform. Cloudways' ThunderStack covers all your core performance needs: Nginx, Apache, Memcached, MySQL/MariaDB, Varnish Cache, PHP 7, PHP-FM and Redis. There's one-click cloning, backup and restore, integrated Git and team collaboration tools for developers, and no less than 25 data centers strategically placed around the world.
Despite all this high-end functionality, Cloudways products are generally simple to operate, and prices start at a beginner-friendly $10 (7.15) a month for one core, 1GB RAM, 25GB storage and 1TB of bandwidth. It's all supremely configurable, and a free trial allows you to check out the product, with no credit card details required.
A UK-based outfit which offers some unusual perks
Lots of flexibility
In-house platform using open source
Help to configure firewall, backups and more
Founded in 2002, Bytemark is a UK-based cloud hosting company which has designed its own public platform using open source software.
This in-house experience brings some unusual advantages. Bytemark has developed its own hosting environment to set up a server, email and more. It covers everything from installing and managing PHP, MySQL, Perl and Ruby on Rails to helping you configure your firewall, spam rules and backups.
Experienced users can manage their account with a command line client, or even automate common tasks by integrating with Bytemark's API.
Pricing seems fair. The baseline specification costs 10 ($14) for one core, 1GB RAM, 25GB storage, 1TB bandwidth and one IPv4, plus unusually one IPv6 address. If you need more, everything is available via a simple flat rate: 10 ($14) per 1GB RAM, 2 ($2.80) per 10GB storage, 20 ($28) per extra 1TB of traffic. Unusually, you can even get a Windows licence for only 1 ($1.40) per GB of memory.
As ever with cloud hosting, there's plenty of flexibility. You can configure your servers with anything from 1 to 180GB RAM, 1 to 16 CPU cores, and 1 to 8 individual disks with either fast SSD or cheaper archive storage.
If you're interested, Bytemark's free trial gives you seven days or a 50 ($70) spend (whichever comes first) to find out more.
Hosting for the more demanding user
While cloud hosting schemes always involve pooling resources from multiple devices, most do their best to keep you away from the low-level details. You may be able to scale your plan by adding CPU cores, RAM or storage, for instance, but the console will present this to you as a single system.
DigitalOcean's Droplets are based around similar resizable and customizable virtual machines, but that's just the start the technology has much more to offer.
For starters, the system supports Droplets of different types. If the standard plans aren't enough priced from $5 (3.55) a month for one core, 1GB RAM and 25GB storage Optimized Droplets aim to ramp up your performance by using the best Broadwell and Skylake CPUs, and providing more RAM and storage space.
Individual Droplets have more features than you might expect, including performance monitoring and alerts, snapshots and automatic system-level backups.
There are various interesting ways to work with your Droplets as a group, including setting up a cloud firewall, and using a load balancer to distribute incoming traffic across your infrastructure.
DigitalOcean's transparent pricing is a highlight. You're billed hourly, with monthly caps, ensuring you only pay for the resources you use. Many of the features come for free monitoring, cloud firewall while others follow very simple pricing rules. Snapshots cost $0.05 per gigabyte per month, for instance, while backups are priced at 20% of the cost of the virtual machine easy.
If all you want to do is host a scalable WordPress site, this will probably be overkill, but developers, sysadmins and other more demanding users will appreciate the power and flexibility DigitalOcean offers. Browse the lengthy list of tutorials (which numbers 1,809 at the time of writing) on the DigitalOcean site to find out more.
You might also want to check out our other hosting guides:
See the original post:
Best cloud hosting providers in 2018 | TechRadar
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020