A security firm claims that the Chinese government is sponsoring a hacking group way back in 2019. The cybercriminals are allegedly exploiting ZeroLogon vulnerability in automotive, pharmaceutical, and industrial attack waves.
(Photo : Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)A participant sits with a laptop computer as he attends the annual Chaos Communication Congress of the Chaos Computer Club at the Berlin Congress Center on December 28, 2010 in Berlin, Germany. The Chaos Computer Club is Europe's biggest network of computer hackers and its annual congress draws up to 3,000 participants.
Also Read: TCL Smart TVs Have 'Backdoor' Security Flaw, Experts Find - Here's How to Protect Your TV
ZDNet reported that the hacking group is working on a massive campaign, targeting pharmaceutical, engineering, and automotive entities across the globe. The massive attack is already targeting some businesses using the recently-disclosed security vulnerability.
According to Bleeping Computer's latest report, several Japanese companies and subsidiaries from multiple industry sectors in 17 regions across the world are also targeted.
Symantec claimed that the global cyberattack campaign is done by the Cicada group, also known as Stone Panda, APT10, or Cloud Hopper. The threat group was first identified in 2009.
(Photo : Photo by Adam Berry/Getty Images)A participant looks at lines of code on a laptop on the first day of the 28th Chaos Communication Congress (28C3) - Behind Enemy Lines computer hacker conference on December 27, 2011 in Berlin, Germany. The Chaos Computer Club is Europe's biggest network of computer hackers and its annual congress draws up to 3,000 participants.
The United States also claimed that the hackers are supported by the Chinese government. Symantec security researchers said that Cicada's most recent attack wave has been ongoing since mid-October in 2019.
The massive campaign is believed to be active at least this October of 2020. Cicada was reportedly using a variety of techniques and tools to conduct cyber attacks.Since the group is well-resourced, it is able to continue its hacking campaign for almost a year.
Cicada or APT10 is using different methods to exploit its ZeroLogon vulnerability. These include network reconnaissance, command-line utilities, PowerShell scripts, DLL side-loading, credential theft, and both RAR archiving.
A legitimate cloud hosting provider is also included. It helps the hacking group regarding packaging, downloading, and exfiltrating stolen data from different companies.
Cicada uses a toolkit called CVE-2020-1472. This utility issued a CVSS score of 10 and was patched by Microsoft in August. On the other hand, the ZeroLogon vulnerability allows the hackers to hijack domains and spoof domain controller accounts, as well as breach Active Directory identity services.
Aside from the ZeroLogon, the international hacking group also launched Backdoor.Hartip, a new custom malware, which is not yet seen in connection to the APT10 group. This vulnerability is also designed to targets top businesses in different countries.
Symantec also suggested that the cyber criminals are focused on the cyberespionage and theft of sensitive company data. These include HR documents, meeting demos, expensive information, and corporate records.
For more news updates about other hacking groups, always keep your tabs open here at TechTimes.
Related Article: US Military Allegedly Buying Location Data From Ordinary Apps, Including A Muslim Prayer App
This article is owned by TechTimes.
Written by:Giuliano de Leon.
2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis highlights the impact of Covid-19 (2020-2025) | Top Players like A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion,... - January 14th, 2021
- Anti-government website hosted in Montreal shut down after promoting armed protests in U.S. - CBC.ca - January 14th, 2021
- What Is Gab and Who Owns It? Learn More About the Platform Replacing Parler - Distractify - January 14th, 2021
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Boost Growth, Future Expectations, Key Developments And Forecast Till 2027 | Company1, Company2,... - January 14th, 2021
- There is huge demand for this one high paying job in South Africa - BusinessTech - January 14th, 2021
- Inflectra Expands Its Cloud Hosting to India - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Department of Education to Seek Cloud Hosting and Website Support and Development - MeriTalk - January 12th, 2021
- ServerWhere Launched Failover Cloud Servers in the U.S. and Europe - PRUnderground - January 12th, 2021
- How 5G and AI Are Creating an Architectural Revolution - Nextgov - January 12th, 2021
- Dade2, Cloud and IAAS Provider Introduces Opening of its Spanish Cloud Region - PR Web - January 12th, 2021
- The Slope Gets More Slippery As You Expect Content Moderation To Happen At The Infrastructure Layer - Techdirt - January 12th, 2021
- Pro-Trump Demonstration At Twitter Headquarters Appears To Be A Bust, Twitter Claims To Respect Peoples Right To Express Their Views: - CBS Denver - January 12th, 2021
- What is Gab? A far-right social alternative to Twitter - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- NICE Wins Technical Development Award at 2020 Symphony Hackathon for Integration with its Cloud-Based Messaging and Collaboration Platform - Business... - January 12th, 2021
- Expert Review: Application Hosting Market is Booming Worldwide to Reach Highest Growth | AWS, IBM, Rackspace, Google, Liquid Web, Microsoft -... - January 12th, 2021
- Bongino vows to fight Parler shutdown: 'I'll go bankrupt before I let this happen' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Ben Domenech slams Big Tech over censorship of Trump, Parler: 'We really ought to be scared' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market growth in New Research and Know about its Top growing factors by Key Companies like Med Tech Solutions Inc,... - January 12th, 2021
- Mediaite: Parler CEO says it took down post from Lin Wood calling for Mike Pence's execution - WDJT - January 12th, 2021
- Cloud and Dedicated Servers in Milan, Italy Launched by HCE - PRUnderground - January 4th, 2021
- Every Little Thing You Need to Know About Cloud Computing - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2021
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Cloud Web Hosting Services Market Expected to Showcase Extensive Growth at a Highest CAGR with- A2 Hosting, AccuWeb,... - January 4th, 2021
- How to run Hummingbot in the cloud? - Your Digital Wall - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare Introduces a Way to Build and Host Jamstack Sites with Cloudflare Pages - InfoQ.com - January 4th, 2021
- Global Cloud-Based VDI Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Prediction after Covid Pandemic and Analysis Offered By New Study 2020 2026 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires Etech Solutions, Further Expanding National MSSP Footprint in the Midwest Region - PRNewswire - January 4th, 2021
- Indonesia Data Center Colocation Services Market Report 2020: Increase in Adoption of Data-intensive Technologies to Boost the Growth Pipeline for... - January 4th, 2021
- (Update Report On) Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Forecast 2021-2026, Latest Trends and Opportunities| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health... - January 4th, 2021
- The four (non-coronavirus) public sector tech trends that will define 2021 - PublicTechnology - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare is launching its very own cloud hosting service - TechRadar - December 23rd, 2020
- Marine Corps Issue RFI for Cloud Hosting and Migration of its Recruiting Info Support System - MeriTalk - December 23rd, 2020
- Banking of tomorrow with human and artificial intelligence - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Development, Innovation, Opportunities and Growth to 2026 - LionLowdown - December 23rd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of a scaling business: Private vs public which cloud is right for you? - Startland News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cybereason Adopts Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to Enhance its Platform Security - Infosecurity Magazine - December 23rd, 2020
- What are the Software Development Trends of 2021? - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Top 21 Security Predictions for 2021 - Government Technology - December 23rd, 2020
- 2021 - The year of data extortion - DCD - DatacenterDynamics - December 23rd, 2020
- Digital Transformation Trends That Will Dominate Software Businesses in 2021 - Devdiscourse - December 23rd, 2020
- Scientists Braved the High Arctic to Chase Clouds on History's Largest Polar Trip - National Audubon Society - December 23rd, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- How IONOS is looking towards privacy and Europe for a solid share of the cloud market - Cloud Tech - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020